Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New M50 toll cameras

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭3putt

Simona1986 wrote: »
    I don't think these are toll cameras. Will try spot them on the way home.

There definitely toll cameras

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

The problem is all the single-occupier cars. If there were huge, cheap high-rise car parks around the M50 and proper public transport, 90% of drivers could drive in, park the car and get a tram or bus or train to work, maybe with some bikeshare input, and the city would work far better.

We also need to start using carpooling - we need to use our roads more intelligently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Rechuchote wrote: »
    The problem is all the single-occupier cars. If there were huge, cheap high-rise car parks around the M50 and proper public transport, 90% of drivers could drive in, park the car and get a tram or bus or train to work, maybe with some bikeshare input, and the city would work far better.

We also need to start using carpooling - we need to use our roads more intelligently.

the problem there, is how many tram routes would you need to serve the multiple destinations that the car currently serves? Most people don't work in the City Centre or on the main routes in from the M50

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Isambard wrote: »
    the problem there, is how many tram routes would you need to serve the multiple destinations that the car currently serves? Most people don't work in the City Centre or on the main routes in from the M50

Wouldn't all have to be trams, but. Core Bus Corridors (non-stop, cars forbidden) are in the traffic plan, and would zoom people into and through the city, and then the Dublin Bikes and the new dockless bikes about to come onstream would cover the last kilometre.

We're only trotting behind civilised countries: Paris is mooting totally free public transport… https://www.citylab.com/transportation/2018/05/paris-ponders-an-audacious-idea-free-transit-for-all/560522/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Rechuchote wrote: »

I don't work in the city. And need to use it at least 6 times a week. I'd have to use the m50 to get to one of those drop off points, that you want, to take me off the m50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

....and another crash on the M50 northbound just after exit 7. This is just madness!!! Its a daily occurrence!

Will anything be done to address this before introducing more tolls to apparently “ease congestion” :mad:

FC4_DD074-1516-463_F-_B590-3_C5331_A9_EEAF.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

ION08 wrote: »
    ....and another crash on the M50 northbound just after exit 7. This is just madness!!! Its a daily occurrence!

Will anything be done to address this before introducing more tolls yo apparently “ease congestion” :mad:

Yeah maybe it's my imagination but certainly whenever I'm on it it seems some more enforcement wouldn't go amiss. Some really bloody awful driving to be seen

• Registered Users Posts: 16,401 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Which parts of the M50 are they proposing to add extra toll barriers to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

blackwhite wrote:
    Travelling from Dundrum to Tallaght, for example, the M50 is approx 5 min faster than going across through Rathfarnham. If there's a charge for using the M50, then a lot of people will take the slightly longer route.

And then you will have congestion on smaller roads less able to deal with it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

It’s a pain for people who only travel one or two exits to pay right now but putting additional points in even if it means paying less per segment but the same overall means that suddenly a whole pile of people are paying for a journey they’ve been making for years for free, that’s not going to go down at all well. The only realistic solution is giving people an alternative which realistically can only be providing public transport. At current rates of building that means we only have to wait 30 years before this gets sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

We are probably one of the last countries in Europe to build motorways and it's hardly necessary to reinvent the wheel in terms of road safety and traffic congestion.

The safe distance markings that are used in the UK would be a good start to deter the fender benders.

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.roberthempsall.co.uk%2Fblogimages%2Fkeep-apart-2-chevrons-road-sign.jpg&f=1

Seeing a traffic corp car on patrol would also do a lot to put manners on people.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    We are probably one of the last countries in Europe to build motorways and it's hardly necessary to reinvent the wheel in terms of road safety and traffic congestion.

I find it astonishing to see that a lot of the innovations (such as the safe distance markers) just seem to be completely ignored on our roads.

Kinda like they are indeed trying to reinvent the wheel :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Patww79 wrote: »

Thats what happens when you live in a country where they gave out driving licenses without having to do a test. Clowns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭BIGT4464

The M50 should be 50 cents per junction, capped at 3 euro . Every car should have a tag

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

BIGT4464 wrote: »
    The M50 should be 50 cents per junction, capped at 3 euro . Every car should have a tag

Should it? Oh, ok then. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,401 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Seeing a traffic corp car on patrol would also do a lot to put manners on people.

Gardai seem active enough on the road, doesn't seem to deter bad behaviour at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭SteM

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Thats what happens when you live in a country where they gave out driving licenses without having to do a test. Clowns

The last amnesty was in '79. I doubt there are many people with this license driving on the m50 on a daily basis. Would certainly be a very small percentage imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

ION08 wrote: »
    Cause of congestion is lack of driving etiquette and the halfwits crashing into each other every second day causing massive tailback and delays.

Nothing that you can solve with Tolls.

We need proper driver education and Garda patrol enforcing proper lane discipline.

No it isn't. The cause of congestion is that there are too many cars trying to use the M50 at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Gardai seem active enough on the road, doesn't seem to deter bad behaviour at all.

Gardai are no saints themselves, trust me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Trasna1 wrote: »
    No it isn't. The cause of congestion is that there are too many cars trying to use the M50 at the same time.

The congestion is down to people switching lanes getting out of or into junctions. A lot needs to be looked into regarding redesigning them. Especially the ones they "fixed" over the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

BIGT4464 wrote: »

so, I should pay 3euro(capped) every day?
    rather then 2.10 right now?

is it because you only need to take less then 2.10 worth of junctions everyday that you think it should be this way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

quick one on this. I thought the roads that had received EU funds could not be tolled?
    But I can't find out if the M50 ever received Eu funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

ewj1978 wrote: »
    quick one on this. I thought the roads that had received EU funds could not be tolled?

It’s quietly forgotten but it was originally a toll bridge which I think was built using PPP but I’m not sure on that. I think there was s bit of rebranding done probably with one eye on future tolls elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

The congestion is down to people switching lanes getting out of or into junctions. A lot needs to be looked into regarding redesigning them. Especially the ones they "fixed" over the last few years.

While design improvements may be possible, horsing across from the central lane to the exit at the last minute is down to the drivers, not the design of the road. Likewise the impatient folks who bulldoze from the entry lane into the right hand lanes. I would suggest cameras in the vicinity of junctions and ticketing these folks and have the cameras ticket the tailgaters as well.

salmocab wrote: »
    It’s quietly forgotten but it was originally a toll bridge

Which, if memory serves, was supposed to have stopped being tolled as soon as the investment was paid for :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,377 ✭✭✭Damien360

ewj1978 wrote: »

Not sure but the EU made sure VAT was charged for the journey a few years back. Can't see why it would get EU funding.

Asking people to use bikes and buses to alleviate congestion is not going to work in our current setup. Look at each and every feeder road on any morning. They are stuffed with inbound traffic living further and further out of Dublin. Cars are a necessity at the moment until we build a reliable, efficient rail line with more journeys and then force house building closer to the stations. That won't happen any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

wexie wrote: »
    Which, if memory serves, was supposed to have stopped being tolled as soon as the investment was paid for :mad:

Just as VRT was a 'temporary' tax :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

The safe distance markings that are used in the UK would be a good start to deter the fender benders.
    wexie wrote: »
    I find it astonishing to see that a lot of the innovations (such as the safe distance markers) just seem to be completely ignored on our roads.
    Unfortunately the safe distance markers are also generally ignored in the UK. Not so much when the roads aren't busy but try the M25 or M11 during the rush hours...
    degsie wrote: »
    Just as VRT was a 'temporary' tax :mad:

Income tax was first introduced in the UK as a temporary tax too... let's see what happens with USC here.

Advertisement