Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New M50 toll cameras

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 AlAlkovitch4

You can only presume that’s it’s all about revenue and nothing to do with solving the congestion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Anyone know how much the M50 collects per year?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

You can only presume that’s it’s all about revenue and nothing to do with solving the congestion

Increase the toll to €5 in rush hour and make it free other times.
    less congestion, no more revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Increase the toll to €5 in rush hour and make it free other times.
    less congestion, no more revenue.

Only less congestion on the m50 though the areas around it would get exponentially worse. The cars don’t disappear they just go somewhere else, the answer is less cars on the roads not cars on different roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭3putt

testicles wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Because there exactly the same as the ones that they use for tolling between Lucan and Blanch now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭kirving

Chevrons, heavy Garda presence, cameras at hatched areas, average speed cameras (I know we all hate them but they have their uses), and an overwhelming advertising campaign for a moth would solve a lot of the M50 issues.

But that costs money, and some joined up thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

It's to catch all us lot who use the M50 to go to Liffey Valley (from southbound), so turn off at the junction before the toll bridge.
    All they see there is missed revenue.

They'll just split the toll. For example, if the toll is 2 euro now, it'll become 1 euro at each toll. Same price for people who would have passed it before, but now they're gettin the extra euro from people turning off early.

Expect another one further north in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

The congestion is down to people switching lanes getting out of or into junctions. A lot needs to be looked into regarding redesigning them. Especially the ones they "fixed" over the last few years.

No, the congestion is down to too many cars on that road. The road is designed for a certain volume of cars which includes the need to switch lanes. It's only when a road reaches capacity that the likes of lane switching becomes an issue.

The only way to fix the M50 is to make it bigger or increase tolls to reduce the volume of journeys because not all journeys on the M50 are necessary ones.

Consideration should definitely be given to developing a technology for differential tolling for single occupancy vehicles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Anyone know how much the M50 collects per year?

From 2015

https://www.irishexaminer.com/business/nra-seeks-bids-for-m50-toll-service-343024.html
    Around 115,000 vehicles pass through the M50 toll every day and toll revenues of €110m are generated annually. The contract has proved very profitable for the French consortium that has operated the toll since the barrier-less e-flow system came into operation in 2008.

The most recent accounts lodged by the operator, Sanef ITS Operations Ireland Ltd, show that it recorded pre-tax profits of €2.79m in 2013. This followed pre-tax profits of €2.9m in 2012.

The firm achieved the profits in 2013 after recording a gross profit of €6.09m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

Patww79 wrote: »
    Do you really think that driver education will solve the issue? It only takes one driver to cause chaos on the M50 simply because there isn't enough room for all the vehicles on the carriageway.

The simplest way to increase capacity is introduction of variable speed limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Tabnabs wrote: »
    We are probably one of the last countries in Europe to build motorways and it's hardly necessary to reinvent the wheel in terms of road safety and traffic congestion.

The safe distance markings that are used in the UK would be a good start to deter the fender benders.

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.roberthempsall.co.uk%2Fblogimages%2Fkeep-apart-2-chevrons-road-sign.jpg&f=1

Seeing a traffic corp car on patrol would also do a lot to put manners on people.

I can just imagine the muppetry if people were leaving gaps that wide in peak times - it's bad enough now with cars diving to the inside/auxiliary lane and back again... and don't get me started on AGS - they're just as bad much of the time!

We won't need more capacity on the M50.. we need effective and cheap public transport without the An Lar detours, massive Park & Ride at the main intersections (N3/4/7 at a minimum), and start building UP within the city limits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

3putt wrote: »
    Has anyone else noticed that theres new toll cameras between the red cow and Lucan.

I was driving northbound yesterday evening and southbound this morning and had my eye out for new toll cameras but couldn't see anything on either side....

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭3putt

I was driving northbound yesterday evening and southbound this morning and had my eye out for new toll cameras but couldn't see anything on either side....

Northbound just after the red cow LOOK UP :D

3putt wrote: »
    Northbound just after the red cow LOOK UP :D

I merge on to the M50 Northbound, coming from the N7 at Newlands cross.... I haven't notices them.

is this it?451460.jpg

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

The solution is simple. Same as American roads in high volume areas, a hard barrier from 1 mile before to 1 mile after each major intersection between Lane 1 & 2, so if you want to exit, you have to be in the left 2 lanes 1 mile before the junction, and stay in the left lanes for a mile after the intersection. Works very well there. Also need variable speed limits, with enforcement, to sort out the morons that insist on doing 120 in the left lane regardless of what's happening in the main lanes.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Zatoichi

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

These are NOT toll cameras.

They are variable speed limit signs which will have average speed cameras installed.

The same system is used on the m25 in London.

They were announced about 2 years ago and were due to become operational in early 2019

Average speed cameras are a load of my hole.

The M50 crawls at peak times and is fine to speed on when it's empty. Sick of these average speed cameras already, and they have barely started being used (only in the tunnel i think?).

I'd rather it was a toll.

It's perfectly fine to go over the M50 limit when it's quiet in my opinion. It's effectively driving in a straight line. 100Kph is near sleep-inducing on a motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It's never fine to speed on it or any other road. I'd have the country covered in the average ones.

So doing 100km/h on the R148 is not fine but doing 100km/h when it was the N4 was. If our roads had sensible limits I'd agree with you but are current limits are not set by logic they are set by the fines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Average speed cameras are a load of my hole.

The M50 crawls at peak times and is fine to speed on when it's empty. Sick of these average speed cameras already, and they have barely started being used (only in the tunnel i think?).

I'd rather it was a toll.

Average speed limit cameras are great for Traffic flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

The reason the limits are set low, it for idiot drivers who can't control a car at those speeds. I've often exceeded speed limits under complete control of the motor at all times. It may be PC to say I obey the limits, but I don't. Empty M50 at 5am is safe to drive exceeding the limit, once you know what you are doing.

Regarding tolls, all tolls should be banished, and a few cent extra on fuel would cover tolls and motor tax would pay for tolls and motortax overnight. Surprised this hasn't been introduced yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Lord Nikon wrote: »
    The reason the limits are set low, it for idiot drivers who can't control a car at those speeds. I've often exceeded speed limits under complete control of the motor at all times. It may be PC to say I obey the limits, but I don't. Empty M50 at 5am is safe to drive exceeding the limit, once you know what you are doing.

Regarding tolls, all tolls should be banished, and a few cent extra on fuel would cover tolls and motor tax would pay for tolls and motortax overnight. Surprised this hasn't been introduced yet.

On such a short stretch of road there is no point, even here in Germany there is no point in driving fast unless you are going really far at non peak times.

The time saving is all in your own head and in reality you've only saved 1 or 2 minutes

Advertisement