Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Practical shotgun - Contd from Target thread

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Bullseye 360 for a start.

People have convinced themselves that restricted firearms are so much ahrder to get that its not worth the effort. This may be true in some places but as a generalisation its not that true.

You merely need to show why you need a restricted firearm over an unrestricted one. If you are prepared and submit a well presented FCA1 with a good reason there is no reason you won't get it.

My experience for my S/A was very easy. I supplied the FCA1, supporting documentation, and a reason why i needed the S/A over a bolt action. I was invited in for a meeting with the Chief Super and after a good long chat of 45 minutes, of which 5 were spent on the actual gun, i was granted it on the spot. Got the letter a week later.

Don't let the restricted tag put you off applying.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,971 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Add sporting rifle it as well shot down in An Riocht and was also the test case exhibit for the DC cases awhile back.

If you want to go old school, M1carbine Gallery rifle is coming along nicely too.
    So yes there are comps and disciplines you can shot with SA here. Just as Cass said, have your ducks and presentation in order and go for it.

Also, don't be put off by the EU directive, coming into force next month,if quoted at you. Cat B1 semi-auto firearms are still perfectly legal, provided they only use a ten shot detachable mag and arent former select fire converted to semi-auto only ...IOW any modern sporting rifle of any design built for the civvie market is fine if it comes supplied with a ten round or less mag. It only becomes a Cat A, prohibited if you put a mag in it greater than ten rounds for a rifle or 20 for a pistol.BUT you can have an exemption to all of this if you shoot a discipline that is nationally recognised and needs a mag capacity greater than ten rounds...

Hows that for fuked up EU law??

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

Cass wrote: »
    Bullseye 360 for a start.

People have convinced themselves that restricted firearms are so much ahrder to get that its not worth the effort. This may be true in some places but as a generalisation its not that true.

You merely need to show why you need a restricted firearm over an unrestricted one. If you are prepared and submit a well presented FCA1 with a good reason there is no reason you won't get it.

My experience for my S/A was very easy. I supplied the FCA1, supporting documentation, and a reason why i needed the S/A over a bolt action. I was invited in for a meeting with the Chief Super and after a good long chat of 45 minutes, of which 5 were spent on the actual gun, i was granted it on the spot. Got the letter a week later.

Don't let the restricted tag put you off applying.

Yeah i was thinking that if i dont try ill never know, i applied for my 308 at 16 and i was told by at least a dozen people(who own firearms!) before i did "youll have awful bother getting that big of a rifle" I got the licence back a week later:D. That made me wonder alright if the whole youll never licence a restricted firearm was more myth than anything
    Thanks for the info lads im definitely going to look into it and maybe embassy cup too, theres a range not so far from me and im thinking ill join in the new year

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Add sporting rifle it as well shot down in An Riocht and was also the test case exhibit for the DC cases awhile back.

If you want to go old school, M1carbine Gallery rifle is coming along nicely too.
    So yes there are comps and disciplines you can shot with SA here. Just as Cass said, have your ducks and presentation in order and go for it.

Also, don't be put off by the EU directive, coming into force next month,if quoted at you. Cat B1 semi-auto firearms are still perfectly legal, provided they only use a ten shot detachable mag and arent former select fire converted to semi-auto only ...IOW any modern sporting rifle of any design built for the civvie market is fine if it comes supplied with a ten round or less mag. It only becomes a Cat A, prohibited if you put a mag in it greater than ten rounds for a rifle or 20 for a pistol.BUT you can have an exemption to all of this if you shoot a discipline that is nationally recognised and needs a mag capacity greater than ten rounds...

Hows that for fuked up EU law??

Wait so if i do get a semi auto can you get above a 10 round mag now? i thought m1 carbines were 15rd mag as standard does that mean they have to be pinned?:confused:

Wait so if i do get a semi auto can you get above a 10 round mag now? i thought m1 carbines were 15rd mag as standard does that mean they have to be pinned?:confused:

TBH,No one has a feckin clue how this will work out or be implemented from the Furhers in Brussels.Its, as usual, the parable of the wise owl and the ant syndrome.
    There are about a trilion surplus mags out there of various calibres and no way to ascertain who has what. So, apparently, they want to make by next Sept 13th EU wide that mags above 10 rounds are vital parts like lower AR receivers that will be only purchasable with a relevant FAC to the gun.

Now, this is the doozy!There are people out there who actually only collect gun mags too.So they can continue too with their hobby. You can buy and collect as a gun owner any type of mag you want* But if you have a mag for a gun that has round capacity greater than 10 rounds.You are in for the high jump under EU law trans into national firearms law.
    [excluding ROI,UK,NI as mags are considerd gun parts]
    BUT you are grand if you shoot a discipline that is nationally recognised and needs a greater round count than ten. DSo IOW if you are shooting gallery rifle with a 15 shot round course of fire you are fine.

Now here in Ireland, we have no clue whats going on as usual, or is there anything planned to change on this.As we pretty much have killed anything our fellow EU subjects enjoy in firearms, there is little to change here,and it is accepted anyway by the PTB that 10 rounds is a default capacity in CF SA[When originally in the US in the 1970s it actually was 20 when the AR first made it to the market].So AFAICS there is little or nowt being affected here anyway.Even the Eu directive is silent on pinned or blocked mags being acceptable or not ,or do they have to be physically nly able to hold 10 rounds etc?And then there is the question of compo for millions of then now illegal mags from the eU if it comes to pass?

TBH if they think just having ten rounds in single packages is going to stop terrorist attacks, they will need to ban duct tape too.:rolleyes:
    Just the EU fecking things up as usual.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

SVI40 wrote: »
    Grizzly 45, AFAIK, all states in Aus allow / recognise IPSC. Zimbabwe, again, are a very active region, IPSC all the way. As for ROI, I cannot fathom it, except for, despite our history in firearms manufacturing, RoI is very anti shooting.
    A country founded on force of arms can be lost by force of arms. The Irish free state had a great interest in knowing where the firearms were. Shotguns were often seen as agricultural tools that were available I'm nearly every hard ware/shop in the early 20th century. Anything that may empower a population or teach them so called ta tics is a worry. A good friend of mine is a 20 year serving gard based in Dublin and he says that the PTB want airsoft shooting banned, not so much the shooting but the tactics you can practice.
    So while I would love to have a go at practical shotgun shooting, I'd say in this country tje day it happens will be tge day the farmers get summoned for cows farting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,200 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

So while I would love to have a go at practical shotgun shooting, I'd say in this country tje day it happens will be tge day the farmers get summoned for cows farting.[/QUOTE]

That's not as farfetched as you might think!

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    So while I would love to have a go at practical shotgun shooting, I'd say in this country tje day it happens will be tge day the farmers get summoned for cows farting.[/QUOTE]

Methane emissions:D yeah that actually might happen

. A good friend of mine is a 20-year serving guard based in Dublin and he says that the PTB want airsoft shooting banned, not so much the shooting but the tactics you can practice.

Unless they want to lock us up in a communist state, they will have little or no chance of that happening.:rolleyes:

Nekarsulm wrote: »

I think we said that about a few things over the last decade or so in the shooting world here,and we have been proven wrong and right.So never say never.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

NI apart from S/A CF rifles[Wonder would the MARS system be legal up there?]

Yes, it is no different than any other Section 1 manually-operated firearm.

Those MARS rifles are awfully expensive though its much cheaper to do practical with ar-15 style .22s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Those MARS rifles are awfully expensive though its much cheaper to do practical with ar-15 style .22s

They are expensive because no original operating parts are allowed to be used in their construction, in case someone decided to convert them back to semi auto. You know the rubbish paranoid lawmakers come up with.

It means all parts are machined from scratch, making them expensive.

Maybe those franklin armoury ARs in 17wsm or a cheaper competitor could help practical shooting in the UK :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Maybe those franklin armoury ARs in 17wsm or a cheaper competitor could help practical shooting in the UK :p

Practical shooting over here is done with any of the look-alike .22cal 'black rifles', no matter what colour they are, at shorter ranges, and with man-op centrefire rifles/carbines in the Civilian Service Rifle Match - a kind of walk-down from 600m to 100m on Figure 11 targets, just like the military do with their semis, but with a bit more commotion - take a look at it in Youtube.

The 600m run-down and falling plate shoot looks like a lot of fun -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiTkqMkrn7o

tac

A good friend of mine is a 20 year serving gard based in Dublin and he says that the PTB want airsoft shooting banned, not so much the shooting but the tactics you can practice.

Cobblers, there is no tactics used in gangland hits. Anto, coked out of his brain, jumps out of a nicked car, with a glock that came in with a shipment of drugs (one of many), tucked into his trackie bottoms, runs into someones house or drinker, sprays the place with rounds and hopes to connect with the noggin of the victim. We have seen this several times with innocents getting killed from stray rounds. In fact if the hits were more professional, less innocents would be hit probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

gunny123 wrote: »
    Cobblers, there is no tactics used in gangland hits. Anto, coked out of his brain, jumps out of a nicked car, with a glock that came in with a shipment of drugs (one of many), tucked into his trackie bottoms, runs into someones house or drinker, sprays the place with rounds and hopes to connect with the noggin of the victim. We have seen this several times with innocents getting killed from stray rounds. In fact if the hits were more professional, less innocents would be hit probably.

Yeah,,,,,but you all forget we live in a Nanny State that's so Nanny it makes other Nanny States look tame. Just look at section "I dont like the look of that" in the firearms act

The "Idontlike de look of that now!" Clause has fallen out of fashion a lot these days, thankfully.:)
    The last case I've heard was for a UTAS shotgun for Embassy cup in Kildare, and the judge wisely pointed out, when granting the lic, it is no more dangerous than a bespoke SXS when used with bad intent.
    "Form does not follow function!" as was pointed out in many DC cases.

The "Idontlike de look of that now!" Clause has fallen out of fashion a lot these days, thankfully.:)
    The last case I've heard was for a UTAS shotgun for Embassy cup in Kildare, and the judge wisely pointed out, when granting the lic, it is no more dangerous than a bespoke SXS when used with bad intent.
    "Form does not follow function!" as was pointed out in many DC cases.

Thats good to hear.

Advertisement