Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What time to do you get up at? Working and off days included...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Wake naturally around 6.

If doing a run commute would get up then, if not get up around 7.

Work usually between 8-8:30, flexible start/finish times.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

7.30am during the week.. for now, could have a mega commute come September 😔 usually around 10 at the weekend.

I despise having to set an alarm on a day off, even if that alarm is for 10 or even 11 when I'm generally awake naturally anyway. I love lazy mornings... this is not one, I really should get up and shower!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,518 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

For 13 years I got up at 5am to be at work for 7am, or 4pm to be at work for 7pm working 12.5hour shifts and driving 1:15 each way.

Now I’m much more flexible on my current job. Usually get up at 7-7:30, but if I’m working from home it could be as late as 8:30.
    Weekends I’m up at 6:30 to bring my daughter swim training.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,298 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Two kids under five and another on the way this week..

7AM at the latest every day of the year if I'm lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,321 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I get up when I want, except on Wednesdays when I get rudely awakened by the dustman.

I put my trousers on, have a cup of tea and I think about leaving the house.
    Any problems with pigeons?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I get up at 3am Monday to Friday and 4.30 on the Weekend days, I work a 7 day Rota so I'm still in bed now!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Kids are normally up between 5 and 6 though it's closer to 5 these days.

Get them ready and jump on the bike around 8:15 for work.

Myself and my wife alternate sleep ins at the weekend. But in general I'm out of bed by 8 unless I've been out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

6am everyday, apart from when kids are in respite, will get up at 7 then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭circadian

6am without fail. That's when the first alarm clock wakes me with all the smiles in the world. Butter wouldn't melt.

Get up, change the baba and jump in the shower etc. Baba happily hangs out in bouncer babbling at me. By the time I'm done alarm clock 2 is awake and chatting to teddies in bed. Get them sorted.

7.15 Wake the other half so she can get ready.

Head downstairs and sort breakfast for the older one/clean kitchen/stick on clothes wash or whatever.

Out the door around 8.

All in all a nice morning, get to hang out with the kids when they're in good form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Uncharted wrote: »
    Usually awake by 5.45am.
    First sh1t of the day before 6am.

Don't get out of bed until 6.15am though........ :(

U sh1t in the bed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

04:15 Mon-Fri. 07:30ish Sat & Sun

• Registered Users Posts: 21 antrim14

I get up at 06:15 and leave the house at 06:45 for a 7am start in work.
    This can be pushed back to 06:30 if I shower the night before.
    The crap thing is that my body clock has me waking up before 7am on weekends most of the time. During the week I feel like I could sleep until noon, but at the weekends I am always wide awake before 7am, it sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Generally about 7. Get some breakfast and exercise in before I get the kids up and ready for school.

Weekends generally up about 9.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Typically, I'll wake up at approximately seven. Funnily enough though, I don't get out of bed until nine.

I don't worry about anything because, from my perspective, worrying is a waste of my fúckin time...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

eviltwin wrote: »
    7am every day. Sunday's I have a lie in until about nine, ten if I've been out the night before.

^^^
    Ditto.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭facehugger99

For about 7 years I used to get up at 5.30am Mon-Fri to try to beat the traffic on a horrendous slog up to Dublin. Would get back home around 6.30pm, sometimes later.

I managed to get a job late last year that's 15 minutes drive away from my house.

Now I set my alarm for 7.30am, though sometimes I'll be awake before that.

Fcuk me it makes some difference though, I only realised how tough the commuting was on me when I was able to stop doing it. I really feel I've been given my life back - I have around 15 hours extra time that I don't spend commuting that I can now spread out with some extra sleep, more time with my kids and doing stuff I enjoy.

The extra sleep makes a huge difference to your life, you have more energy so you undertake more activities and you then actually sleep better at night - it's like a positive loop cycle. I'm drinking a lot less as well for some reason - I think I might have been depressed when I was trapped in the commuting cycle. I felt really trapped because I have a mortgage and kids and didn't feel I could stop.

It's amazing what difference the time your alarm goes off can ultimately have on your life.

*Gets run over by bus

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Candlemass

Awake at 5.30am up at 6am Mon - Fri

At weekends awake at 5.30am but usually try to get back to sleep for an hour or so then get out of bed around 7am.

I Like the early starts but Usually dont get to sleep until Midnight so currently working on getting to sleep earlier not easy when house sharing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Conway635 wrote: »
    Alarm 05:05
    Key in the ignition: 0530
    Train: 0650
    At desk: 07:45

Bed: 21:30

The life of an extreme commuter!

C635

Crazy stuff!! What time do you get home from work?

I get up at 08.00 Mon-Fri and any time between 09.15 and 10.30 at the weekend, depending on the children's activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I am a natural early riser. 7am weekdays, between 8-8.30am weekends. I'd only sleep beyond 9am or so a few times a year. It just feels wrong!

And the cat wakes me to go out usually about 4.30-5am as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭missyb01

6.30am monday to friday and then 7am on a Saturday and Sunday....all with thanks to a toddler

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

6:30am on weekdays, I leave the house at 7:10am. At my desk for 8:30am.

Weekends, you won't see me rise till at least midday. If I have no plans, it wouldn't be unheard of for me to get out of bed late in the afternoon.

I have big trouble sleeping, I'd be awake most week nights until 1-2am at the earliest so the weekend is all about playing catch up. I don't know how I'd cope if we had kids!

Sleep is so high on my list of priorities yet I never get enough of it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭con___manx1

I get up at 530 and leave for 6 in at 7. I avoid traffic this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Weekdays get up at 7. Weekends usually about nine if I haven't been out. If I've been out, it depends what time I got home.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

byronbay2 wrote: »
    Conway635 wrote: »
    Alarm 05:05
    Key in the ignition: 0530
    Train: 0650
    At desk: 07:45

Bed: 21:30

The life of an extreme commuter!

C635

Crazy stuff!! What time do you get home from work?

I get up at 08.00 Mon-Fri and any time between 09.15 and 10.30 at the weekend, depending on the children's activities.

If I'm lucky, I get home between 7 and 7:30.

Without going into too many details, I was 52 before I was in a position to get on the property ladder. Max mortgage offered was 12 years due to my age.

So had to go pretty far out to find a place that was both decent and affordable.

That said, where I live is absolute heaven, and I adore it at the weekends.

https://steveconway.wordpress.com/2017/06/26/i-live-in-a-media-bubble-literally-26june2017/

I'm hoping we pay the mortgage off before the commute kills me :-)

C

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Around 6.30am Mon-Fri, and 8.30-8.45am on weekends. I usually wake up at my normal time, and I'll drop back to sleep for a wee while, but too long and I feel muzzy, like I've overslept.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭CookieLover

Mon-Fri I get up at 8.05 and Saturday and Sunday I stay in bed as long as possible, love my sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

For about 7 years I used to get up at 5.30am Mon-Fri to try to beat the traffic on a horrendous slog up to Dublin. Would get back home around 6.30pm, sometimes later.

I managed to get a job late last year that's 15 minutes drive away from my house.

Now I set my alarm for 7.30am, though sometimes I'll be awake before that.

Fcuk me it makes some difference though, I only realised how tough the commuting was on me when I was able to stop doing it. I really feel I've been given my life back - I have around 15 hours extra time that I don't spend commuting that I can now spread out with some extra sleep, more time with my kids and doing stuff I enjoy.

The extra sleep makes a huge difference to your life, you have more energy so you undertake more activities and you then actually sleep better at night - it's like a positive loop cycle. I'm drinking a lot less as well for some reason - I think I might have been depressed when I was trapped in the commuting cycle. I felt really trapped because I have a mortgage and kids and didn't feel I could stop.

It's amazing what difference the time your alarm goes off can ultimately have on your life.

*Gets run over by bus

No mention of the mother of the kids. Hehe.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

7am ish every day. Two little alarm clocks make sure of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

About 6 most weekdays. Office has flexitime so I can usually leave at 3.30 if I get in for 7.

Weekends between 830 and 9 during the schoolboy football season as the kids have matches Saturday and Sunday mornings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭griffin100

4am up to 3 weekday mornings a week for kids swim training. Sleep in car from 5-7 while they train or go for a run. Get home and then off to work myself. Weekdays when their not training usually get up around 7.30.

Weekends depends on matches and swim galas. If I get a lie in until 9-10 once a week I'm lucky.

I love my bed, but find I don't need as much sleep as I used to as I get older.

Advertisement