Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭turbbo

guyinkk wrote: »
    Honestly I would like to try to hang on and give my business to Airwire if possible due to the reports from happy customers in this forum. I'm considering as a stop gap of buying an LTE modem and using prepaid 3 if Imagine are not interested in extending me for another month. I'm not even certain if this will work or not.

I did consider cancelling, but I don't believe it will solve any issue for me. If you search for my eircode in any of the online databases they tell you my house is green and ready for fibre. OE doesn't seem to care now and it seems that the way it is structured currently I have nowhere to turn to. I can't complain to comreg as I have no contract with Airwire, so I play the waiting game.

Let it be a lesson to all reading this, fixes are carried out at the pleasure of OpenEir before you have a contract with a retail supplier.

Yeah I'd agree give them(Airwire) a chance - sometimes the threat of getting out of the contact is the only way to apply enough pressure to make some changes. If Airwire are hoping to make a go out of this then they shouldn't afford OE the idea that they don't have to care. That is the prime responsibility of Airwire make sure OE do their job. 13 weeks is just not acceptable IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Supertoucher

Typically, just as OpenEir's activity picks up in my area - my phone line appears to have snapped in the wind over the last few days. I don't use it for anything but was advised in this thread that the fibre line would take the same route. Given I don't use it and the impending fibre install - is it worth reporting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭turbbo

Typically, just as OpenEir's activity picks up in my area - my phone line appears to have snapped in the wind over the last few days. I don't use it for anything but was advised in this thread that the fibre line would take the same route. Given I don't use it and the impending fibre install - is it worth reporting?

No I doubt it will make any difference. New fibre line needed anyways.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

Eircode also updated their database earlier last week, so we should be seeing new premises that have been assigned eircodes in the last 3 months populating in the upcoming weeks.

turbbo wrote: »
    Wonder how long I will have to wait for Openeir to send somebody out to assess the work needed to be done -(kn couldn't install yesterday because old POTS line runs through private property with lots of trees).

Checking out, what is needed tends to happen within a few days.

If it's just a pole and it's placed on private land, then usually a week or two. Sometimes faster.

If the pole is placed on public land, then a license is needed from the local council. And that can be what delays things.

• Advertisement

guyinkk wrote: »
    I'd say there a lot of factors that determine how quickly they fix a problem for you. I am now in week 13 waiting for OpenEir to fix a no light at DP issue for me.
    I have given up pestering Airwire about this as it seems they are not in a position to do anything except raise tickets with OpenEir only to see nothing happen. Last time I spoke to Martin from Airwire he said that OE had discussed with him the fact that the DP outside my house services just my property. So there is no urgency it seems to send an engineer out to my property, as I'm assuming they're flat out elsewhere with the rollout.

Your situation is one of the exceptional ones. But we've also seen worse than yours. Be assured, that we are pestering OpenEIR on a weekly basis about it. Unfortunately they are not as reactive, as we'd wish they should be.

We even had a few cases (like in Menlough, Co. Galway), where it took OpenEIR 6-7 months past the ready-for-order date before some of the clusters finally went live. They are very much working on a tight schedule.

The problem with installations is also, that until the product is completely installed, there is no way to apply leverage using Comreg. They can only act, once the connection actually is delivered.
    turbbo wrote: »
    do you cancel install with Airwire and get your money back?

If he cancels his order before the actual installation goes ahead and returns the router, he will get his full deposit back. Yes. We won't even hold him, if he is past the 14 day cooling off period, which starts the day the order is placed. Unfortunately, ordering with another provider will not solve or accelerate his issue on the OpenEIR network.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Wally82

Wally82 wrote: »
    I figure it's the same with me. Openeir jumped the gun on the rfo date. Annoying as I had rearranged stuff at work to be home today for the install

Have been told it is a technical issue for openeir service delivery that has delayed my install. ISP is chasing up for more info. I thought they were doing no light installs now just to get the physical stuff in place and they'd light it later. Has that stopped or does the fact they haven't done it here mean I could have a long wait?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

No light is not the only delay that can happen.

There are lots of other issues, that prevent installs entirely. Sure .. one stretch in Offaly they stuck the DPs up, but never got the fibre strung ;)

/M

Have been told it is a technical issue for openeir service delivery that has delayed my install. ISP is chasing up for more info. I thought they were doing no light installs now just to get the physical stuff in place and they'd light it later. Has that stopped or does the fact they haven't done it here mean I could have a long wait?

Got word back about my issue: "the delay with this order is that the DP this customer is to
    be jumpered is full so this order has been put onto the port file for when a port becomes available in the DP"
    No one in my area has taken up ftth yet, I have an old house so was there from the start of this rollout, there are 15 or so houses where i live and at least 4 DPs along the poles outside the houses and openeir said ftth is available to my eircode but now I have this reason which sounds like we have no port for you, so hard luck.

Anything I can do??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Got word back about my issue: "the delay with this order is that the DP this customer is to
    be jumpered is full so this order has been put onto the port file for when a port becomes available in the DP"
    No one in my area has taken up ftth yet, I have an old house so was there from the start of this rollout, there are 15 or so houses where i live and at least 4 DPs along the poles outside the houses and openeir said ftth is available to my eircode but now I have this reason which sounds like we have no port for you, so hard luck.

Anything I can do??

Haha .. are they back to that sort of tricks ?

There is a flag, that indicates ports full. But OpenEIR have abused this flag in cases, where they have ran into trouble with the build and just flagged all (non populated) DPs in an area as full. It means the provider can not order until they clear them.

So yes .. if your DP is flagged like that, the provider would not even be able to place an order with OpenEIR.

/M

• Advertisement

Marlow wrote: »
    Haha .. are they back to that sort of tricks ?

There is a flag, that indicates ports full. But OpenEIR have abused this flag in cases, where they have ran into trouble with the build and just flagged all (non populated) DPs in an area as full. It means the provider can not order until they clear them.

So yes .. if your DP is flagged like that, the provider would not even be able to place an order with OpenEIR.

/M

Thanks Marlow. Doesn't sound good for me so. I could be waiting a while for this to get sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭manshay

Had my FTTH install this morning. Great guy from KN, no problem installing in the attic. Thanks to the people on here for ideas, for example I had several sockets installed in the attic and a chipboard/plywood board to mount the fibre equipment. My better half will be happier with the reduction in cables- apart from the one outside between pole and house!

Unfortunately there is no light currently at the DP, so have to wait another few weeks until it is switched on/spliced.

Thanks Marlow. Doesn't sound good for me so. I could be waiting a while for this to get sorted.

Update: ISP have chased up openeir and they came back saying that the order was misprocessed by someone at openeir and install has been rescheduled for next week. Now I guess I wait and see what happens this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Flashing red LOS light. Assume the ONT had croaked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Flashing red LOS light. Assume the ONT had croaked?

Loss of signal. Likely a cable break or a bad connection somewhere between ONT and exchange. You'll need to contact your ISP.

Loss of signal. Likely a cable break or a bad connection somewhere between ONT and exchange. You'll need to contact your ISP.

Thanks. Was in contact with eircom earlier. I’m not at the house so they won’t log the fault until I go in and try a silly reset on the ont. when I get home I’ll try it and report it to them. They claim the network isn’t down so I’ll assume it’s to the DP out back. Dread having to ring that 1890 number on Vodafone bill pay though.

Thanks. Was in contact with eircom earlier. I’m not at the house so they won’t log the fault until I go in and try a silly reset on the ont. when I get home I’ll try it and report it to them. They claim the network isn’t down so I’ll assume it’s to the DP out back. Dread having to ring that 1890 number on Vodafone bill pay though.

Does 1901 not work on Vodafone? Try a short call and see if it's free.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Does 1901 not work on Vodafone? Try a short call and see if it's free.

1907 should do anyways.

Reset it and it’s still flashing red. 10 minute hold time is 24:12seconds so far. Funny I was put through instantly earlier.

PON is solid on yes? (If both PON and LOS are fast flashing its a different issue).

Hope for your sake it's a break close to town so its prioritised for a fix.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    PON is solid on yes? (If both PON and LOS are fast flashing its a different issue).

Hope for your sake it's a break close to town so its prioritised for a fix.

PON light is off completely

PON light is off completely

That means received optical power is too low so it's likely a break or someone has dislodged a connection. Would anyone have moved the short fibre cable from ODP to ONT in your house (child, hit with hoover etc)?

That means received optical power is too low so it's likely a break or someone has dislodged a connection. Would anyone have moved the short fibre cable from ODP to ONT in your house (child, hit with hoover etc)?

I live alone and it wouldn’t have been disturbed. I’d say it’s something outside to the DP as my neighbours is on, nearby DP

I live alone and it wouldn’t have been disturbed. I’d say it’s something outside to the DP as my neighbours is on, nearby DP

Unusual that it has failed on such a nice calm day. Hopefully you get fixed soon. Let us know how long it takes.

Unusual that it has failed on such a nice calm day. Hopefully you get fixed soon. Let us know how long it takes.

On a sunny day my money is on A) Tech screwup doing another install or B) Motorist vs Pole

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

ED E wrote: »
    On a sunny day my money is on A) Tech screwup doing another install or B) Motorist vs Pole

Or strimmer Vs ivy covered pole

Good point.

The ESB would also tell your Farmers with shotguns are a problem.

babi-hrse wrote: »
    Or strimmer Vs ivy covered pole

I think any poles with fibre I've seen the fibre is in a duct on the pole and over the duct is a galvanised cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Altreab2

How many houses can be connected to a drop point? How close to the customers does the drop point have to be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

I think any poles with fibre I've seen the fibre is in a duct on the pole and over the duct is a galvanised cover.

You haven't seen enough poles that's the way they should be and for the most parT they are

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement