Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Migration Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Brian? wrote: »
    So what’s your key take away?

Mine is that he shouldn’t have got a job driving a bus if he had drink driving and sex abuse convictions.

Indeed, (abuse on minors btw). 15yrs doing this job and the bus company never knew?

The only way this could happen would be gross incompentence by the school bus operator, or perhaps more likely the use of false/multiple ID, or working the black market for cash though gangs/operators.

He also failed in his cause (like the folks spraying acid at a Spainish port, or hijacking ships in the Med). Seek refuge by peaceful means, not by force and voilence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I have a couple of post-muslim secularist friends. Wouldn't be a fan of Islam but I've gotten on with any Muslims I've known as far as I remember.

I'm pretty intolerant in a way. Have experienced anger upon seeing women in those burkas that cover the whole face. Not sure how you engage with that short of banning it... I boycott a particular chipper since hearing somwone there extolling the virtues of the Taliban.

But generally **** regressive ideologies are the issue, not individuals who've been indoctrinated. If you're worried about a culture war then inclusivity should be your weapon of choice. Legitimate immigrants including refugees must be treated with the same respect as anyone else.

Extremism is like a boulder tumbling down a hill. It's definitely easier to stop that boulder from moving in the first place than to try to stop it once it starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭RandomName2

tretorn wrote: »
    That nut job driving the bus in Italy threatened to pour petrol all over the children and set them alight.

I guess it's not that big a jump from [supporting immigration] to [supporting mass murder].

Sigh. Wait, I missed an opportunity to quote an opponent.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I guess it's not that big a jump from [supporting immigration] to [supporting mass murder].

Sigh. Wait, I missed an opportunity to quote an opponent.

I'm almost certain you have a point.

I'm at a total loss as to what it is.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I'm almost certain you have a point.

I'm at a total loss as to what it is.

I was just commenting on a real world event, where someone who was in favor of the resumption of large-scale immigration into Italy felt that an appropriate way to voice his opinion involved burning children to death.

I guess that it would be possible for some people to come to the conclusion that there is a correlation between people who support illegal activities such as people smuggling, and illegal activities, such as mass murder.

Not that I'd say that, you understand. I don't think it would be reasonable to make a sweeping generalization based upon the actions of one person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

The journal.ie headline is something else. Driver Abducts 51 School Children, Sets Bus Ablaze. I guess the bus going up in flames takes precedent over trying to burn the 51 abductees to death.

What a sorry state of affairs.

Imagine - "Internet Streamer Storms Mosque With Machine Gun, Shoots The Walls Multiple Times".

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

It is very common knowledge that a significant percentage of medicine places in most Irish universities are reserved for non-EU students. This has nothing to do with religion, but rather the fact that Irish universities are able to generate considerable revenue through this means. I can't speak in relation to RCSI specifically, but this is pretty standard. If we want more national doctors we would want to reduce this practice, but third level apparently has a dearth of funding, so that's the balancing act being pursued.

Qualification has almost nothing to do with it. Our system is based upon supply and demand. Demand is high, and supply is unnaturally low, as such medicine requires 100% grades in all subjects in the Leaving Certificate (+ HPAT) for Irish students to be able to enter it. If more places opened up, or demand decreased, this would change. Alternatively EU people can often choose graduate entry, but this involves paying very large amounts of money in fees.

Is there something I'm missing here? Are people being needlessly obtuse? I swear people in this thread are writing like they've never encountered the Irish education system. Having said that, I think that this is a different conversation. The retort isn't 'that sounds bigoted'. Christ. The retort should be 'how is the funding shortfall to be made up?'.

:confused:

Edit: Jesus, Brian?, you're not a bad poster, but you don't half beat a point to death and then stick it in an Indian burial ground hoping it gets reanimated.

These figures are not immediately available to hand, but here's a quote from Fianna Fáil's Michael McGrath that's almost a decade old

"Since 2010, 35% of UCC's undergraduate medicine places have gone to non-EU students and these students are paying massive fees for the privilege of studying here. When it comes to graduate entry medicine places, the figures are even more stark with over 46% of places in UCC going to non-EU students," he said.

"I know of several families in Cork who are making incredible sacrifices to fund their son or daughter studying medicine in the UK because they couldn't get a place here. Many other students who would love to study medicine simply miss out on that opportunity entirely because so many places in UCC and other Universities are going to international students.

"I think we need a real debate as to whether the approach taken by UCC and other Universities is fair. My own personal view is that the Universities have become overly dependent on this source of income and Irish students who want to study medicine here are the ones unfairly paying the price,"

Is there any actual evidence that non - EU students are buying their way into Universities here? If they are not getting in on merit then the drop out rate for non-EU students must be massive, surely that's a data point you could find to support this argument.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Indeed, (abuse on minors btw). 15yrs doing this job and the bus company never knew?

The only way this could happen would be gross incompentence by the school bus operator, or perhaps more likely the use of false/multiple ID, or working the black market for cash though gangs/operators.

It's either gross incompetence by the bus company or fraud by the bus driver. So we agree. We don't even know if he was Muslim, do we?
    He also failed in his cause (like the folks spraying acid at a Spainish port, or hijacking ships in the Med). Seek refuge by peaceful means, not by force and voilence.

How do you know he was a refugee?

they/them/theirs

Is there any actual evidence that non - EU students are buying their way into Universities here? If they are not getting in on merit then the drop out rate for non-EU students must be massive, surely that's a data point you could find to support this argument.

This isn't even my argument. I don't think it is particularly relevant in terms of immigration, whatsoever. I was just picking up your, and a tad Irish Republican's statements that you'd never heard anything of this. The point is that, as far as I'm aware, that certain number of places are ring-fenced based on type of entry.

Our system of entry does not guarantee aptitude, regardless of type of entry. The CAO is, as I said, based on supply and demand. Most of the subjects that make up the points used in the CAO are unrelated to the subject that an applicant is applying for.

This does also not preclude a non-eu student being 'adequately qualified' for the course. That isn't the issue though. The rationale for having non-eu entry (and graduate entry to a large extent) is predominantly due to monetary interests. Medicine, for what it is worth, has very high progression rate in Ireland. I don't know why it does. Nor do I know why computer science has a fairly low progression rate in Ireland. I certainly don't know the background of those that don't progress in either course. I would be surprised if such data were publicly accessible, but you can look for it if you like. All of that is irrelevant though. The only way you can rebut the original poster's statement is to show there is no ringfencing. Given the clear volume of demand among Irish applicants I am, to put it mildly, skeptical about the possibility of being able to manage such.
    How do you know he was a refugee?

Perhaps he was on a work visa.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mod Note

Let's keep it civil please. No insults or personal digs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Are you trying to argue that nobody on this thread has ever said anything that could legitimately be construed as islamophobic?

The labour party in 2004 thought the referendum to alter article 9.2 of the constitution was legitimately construed racism....

Would you disagree with that statement?

This isn't even my argument. I don't think it is particularly relevant in terms of immigration, whatsoever. I was just picking up your, and a tad Irish Republican's statements that you'd never heard anything of this. The point is that, as far as I'm aware, that certain number of places are ring-fenced based on type of entry.

Our system of entry does not guarantee aptitude, regardless of type of entry. The CAO is, as I said, based on supply and demand. Most of the subjects that make up the points used in the CAO are unrelated to the subject that an applicant is applying for.

This does also not preclude a non-eu student being 'adequately qualified' for the course. That isn't the issue though. The rationale for having non-eu entry (and graduate entry to a large extent) is predominantly due to monetary interests. Medicine, for what it is worth, has very high progression rate in Ireland. I don't know why it does. Nor do I know why computer science has a fairly low progression rate in Ireland. I certainly don't know the background of those that don't progress in either course. I would be surprised if such data were publicly accessible, but you can look for it if you like. All of that is irrelevant though. The only way you can rebut the original poster's statement is to show there is no ringfencing. Given the clear volume of demand among Irish applicants I am, to put it mildly, skeptical about the possibility of being able to manage such.

Point of clarification here, I have heard this argument trotted out many times. I have yet to see proof to back it up. There is a whiff of bigotry to it. "Those foreign lads have paid a load of money to get in", as if they couldn't get their on merit.

Perhaps he was on a work visa.

Perhaps

they/them/theirs

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

markodaly wrote: »
    The labour party in 2004 thought the referendum to alter article 9.2 of the constitution was legitimately construed racism....

Would you disagree with that statement?

Are we just going to keep answering questions with questions?

I thought at the time that there was something basically racist about the entire proposition - I haven't changed my mind about that - and there was certainly no shortage of racism in the pro-amendment campaigning.

I don’t need to walk anywhere. If you have proof, share it. If you don’t, then you should retract your earlier point.

I suppose we have to wait for peer-reviewed statistics, at which time the horse has already bolted, or the proof will just be ignored. :)

Anyway, this is kind of off topic but somewhat relevant. It is not really news that the educational sector makes lots of money from foreign students. All one has to do is look at the proliferation of English schools populating Dublin now.

For example, there is a massive number of Brazilians living in Dublin, most of them on students visa and attending said schools, which gives them semi-legal ability to reside and work. I am not sure policymakers had this in mind when they were creating these rules years ago.

On the 3rd level sector, this has been going on officially for years. There is a cap on what a NUI college can charge an Irish student, but they can charge a non EU student x2 or x3 times more, for the same seat in that lecture room. That is a massive incentive in fairness with both pros and cons attached. More money for the University for facilities and the like but Irish kids get squeezed out especially at the top end, high demand courses. Neo-Liberalism at its finest.

This is in full swing in a number of other countries, like Canada and Australia.
    In Oz, it is their 3rd largest export after mining and agriculture. It's a $28 Billion industry, mostly to kids from Asia with China being the big buyer.

https://www.afr.com/leadership/education-exports-are-worth-28-billion-a-year-nearly-20pc-more-than-we-thought-20171005-gyvc8v

Many of these students pay top dollar, up to $40,000 a year, yet can't even speak English.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-25/poor-english-no-jobs-little-support-international-students/10513590

There are over 3/4 of a million international students in Australia. About 4-5% of the total Australian permanent population. And remember these are just the students.

Year after year the numbers have been growing, putting pressure on housing and infrastructure and people have started to notice politically.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/mar/20/michael-daley-gives-unqualified-apology-for-claim-asian-workers-taking-jobs
    The New South Wales opposition leader, Michael Daley is under sustained pressure over his comments in a 2018 video in which he said young Sydneysiders were leaving and being replaced by workers from Asia.

Despite repeatedly apologising “if anyone took offence” Daley insisted his comments were not racist or dogwhistling and were about housing affordability in Sydney.

The ironic thing is that Michael Daley is the NSW Labor leader, the centre-left party and what he said is quite true to some respect, yet as soon as you mention migration on the election trail, people lose the heads because they think tomorrow there will be a Nuremberg type rally down the road.

Slightly off topic I know but the tenant of the argument about students from non-EU countries has some merit, but its quite complicated, as are most things.

Are we just going to keep answering questions with questions?

I thought at the time that there was something basically racist about the entire proposition - I haven't changed my mind about that - and there was certainly no shortage of racism in the pro-amendment campaigning.

I voted no because it handed over the decision making process the parliament. Meaning the government of the day could change the regulations on birth right citizenship at will.

Right now, I think the law is fine. Habitual residency being the decider. However this can be changed to any criteria once the law passes through the Dáil. That still doesn't sit well with me.

they/them/theirs

Which race in particular, or was it just all races this amendment was targetting?

I am not asking you to change your mind at all, that is your right. However, your opinion on that matter concurred with the small minority as the amendment was passed with 80% of the vote. Therefore your personal opinion is absolutely outside the moral majority.

However, the most interesting point proved here is that this is all really just subjective. What one views on what is racist, is not by others.

You are of the opinion that the amendment in 2004 was racist.
    Brian? for example, who would share much of your views on this thread about racist dog whistles would differ in that respect.

Are you more correct than he? Is Michael McDowell a racist under it all?
    Who sets the rules of engagement here, or is just throwing labels at things and people enough?

I voted no because it handed over the decision making process the parliament. Meaning the government of the day could change the regulations on birth right citizenship at will.

Right now, I think the law is fine. Habitual residency being the decider. However this can be changed to any criteria once the law passes through the Dáil. That still doesn't sit well with me.

Ironically this was almost the EXACT same argument made by the same people who wanted to protect the 8th amendment.

I suppose we have to wait for peer-reviewed statistics, at which time the horse has already bolted, or the proof will just be ignored. :)

I'm not looking for peer reviewed studies. I would like some evidence though. I dunno, some formal documents that showed places being ring fenced for rich non EU citizens would be ideal. Or as I said earlier the comparative drop out rates for EU v non EU citizens.

Anyway, this is kind of off topic but somewhat relevant. It is not really news that the educational sector makes lots of money from foreign students. All one has to do is look at the proliferation of English schools populating Dublin now.

For example, there is a massive number of Brazilians living in Dublin, most of them on students visa and attending said schools, which gives them semi-legal ability to reside and work. I am not sure policymakers had this in mind when they were creating these rules years ago.

On the 3rd level sector, this has been going on officially for years. There is a cap on what a NUI college can charge an Irish student, but they can charge a non EU student x2 or x3 times more, for the same seat in that lecture room. That is a massive incentive in fairness with both pros and cons attached. More money for the University for facilities and the like but Irish kids get squeezed out especially at the top end, high demand courses. Neo-Liberalism at its finest.

This is in full swing in a number of other countries, like Canada and Australia.
    In Oz, it is their 3rd largest export after mining and agriculture. It's a $28 Billion industry, mostly to kids from Asia with China being the big buyer.

https://www.afr.com/leadership/education-exports-are-worth-28-billion-a-year-nearly-20pc-more-than-we-thought-20171005-gyvc8v

Many of these students pay top dollar, up to $40,000 a year, yet can't even speak English.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-25/poor-english-no-jobs-little-support-international-students/10513590

There are over 3/4 of a million international students in Australia. About 4-5% of the total Australian permanent population. And remember these are just the students.

Year after year the numbers have been growing, putting pressure on housing and infrastructure and people have started to notice politically.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/mar/20/michael-daley-gives-unqualified-apology-for-claim-asian-workers-taking-jobs

The ironic thing is that Michael Daley is the NSW Labor leader, the centre-left party and what he said is quite true to some respect, yet as soon as you mention migration on the election trail, people lose the heads because they think tomorrow there will be a Nuremberg type rally down the road.

Slightly off topic I know but the tenant of the argument about students from non-EU countries has some merit, but its quite complicated, as are most things.

It's very complicated. Which is part of my point. It's far more complicated than walking on to a university campus and listening out for Urdu as some suggested earlier.

This is also off topic a bit. But I have huge admiration for the majority of non EU students I met at university. We were both doing the same post grad, but they were doing it in a foreign tongue. Some of the subjects were incredibly complex for someone who spoke English, I can only imagine the problems for someone who spoke Urdu or Mandarin at home.

Is that a humble brag?

they/them/theirs

Ironically this was almost the EXACT same argument made by the same people who wanted to protect the 8th amendment.

I don't see the irony. Completely different subject. Although we both lost and I'm taking it with good grace. It's there now and there's very little I can do about it.

they/them/theirs

I have a couple of post-muslim secularist friends. Wouldn't be a fan of Islam but I've gotten on with any Muslims I've known as far as I remember.

I'm pretty intolerant in a way. Have experienced anger upon seeing women in those burkas that cover the whole face. Not sure how you engage with that short of banning it... I boycott a particular chipper since hearing somwone there extolling the virtues of the Taliban.

But generally **** regressive ideologies are the issue, not individuals who've been indoctrinated. If you're worried about a culture war then inclusivity should be your weapon of choice. Legitimate immigrants including refugees must be treated with the same respect as anyone else.

Extremism is like a boulder tumbling down a hill. It's definitely easier to stop that boulder from moving in the first place than to try to stop it once it starts.

Nail on head in many ways.

Muslims are not the problem, indeed they are no problem at all.

Islamists are the problem and yes, there is a difference.

Islamists along with Suadi funded Wahhabi mosques, preying on vulnerable new migrants, radicalising them are a particular problem.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/uk/saudi-arabia-largest-funder-of-extremism-in-uk-report-finds-1.3144020

• Advertisement

I don't see the irony. Completely different subject. .

100% it's the same.

The subject matter is, of course, different, Abortion vs Citizenship rights.
    Yet, your rationale for voting No was the same for those who voted No last year attempting to keep the 8th amendment.

You don't and didn't trust the government/Dail of the day, and would much rather that innate right be enshrined in the constitution as extra protection.

How about..
    I voted no because it handed over the decision making process the parliament. Meaning the government of the day could change the regulations on birth right citizenshipabortion at will.

100% it's the same.

Yet, your rationale for voting No was the same for those who voted No last year attempting to keep the 8th amendment.

You don't and didn't trust the government/Dail of the day, and would much rather that innate right be enshrined in the constitution as extra protection.

How about..

My rationale was the same but the subject at hand was entirely different. With completely different consequences. Where is the irony?

they/them/theirs

Nail on head in many ways.

Muslims are not the problem, indeed they are no problem at all.

Islamists are the problem and yes, there is a difference.

Islamists along with Suadi funded Wahhabi mosques, preying on vulnerable new migrants, radicalising them are a particular problem.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/uk/saudi-arabia-largest-funder-of-extremism-in-uk-report-finds-1.3144020

I don't believe it. We agree.

they/them/theirs

It's very complicated. ?

I concede the point that it is complicated, but I also understand the tenant of the argument where there is unfairness and queue jumping by those with bigger wallets.

As I showed in that link, in some Australian Universities, foreign students were getting close to 50% of the entire student body.

It seems education in the west has gone full Neo-Liberal on us. Where normally those against the capitalists and the right (for use of a better word) would be screaming blue murder about neo-liberal policies they remain largely silent when it comes to exporting education to foreigners because it just looks bad optically.

My rationale was the same

This.

You are entirely correct in your rationale by the way but id say you scoffed and scorned at the very same people who used that same rationale last year.
    People are not that different at the end of the day.

I personally find it ironic, you may not. No biggie.

I don't believe it. We agree.

Indeed we do.

But can we say anything negative publicly about Islamists and their more extreme radical tenants of Islam, without incurring a backlash of being called Islamaphobes or accused of racist dog whistles? Not in a million years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Indeed we do.

But can we say anything negative publicly about Islamists and their more extreme radical tenants of Islam, without incurring a backlash of being called Islamaphobes or accused of racist dog whistles? Not in a million years.

Phrasing matters. So does the messenger.

People who sincerely want to tackle the problem of Islamism need to begin by recognising that there is no quick solution. Endeavours to involve normal Muslims are paramount in my opinion. Unfortunately, there is a pervasive "them and us" mentality which needs to be examined first and foremost.

I recall reading a figure in The Economist that 44% of tipoffs to the security services in the US came from Muslims about Islamic terror attacks. I can't post a link now but I can try to find it later.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

100% it's the same.

How about..

It was 'almost exactly' a minute ago. What happened in the meantime?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mod Note

Hi folks. Please remember to read the charter before posting, in particular:
    High standards of debate and quality posts / threads are required. Repeated one liner, low quality style posts will result in a ban.

• Advertisement

This.

You are entirely correct in your rationale by the way but id say you scoffed and scorned at the very same people who used that same rationale last year.
    People are not that different at the end of the day.

I personally find it ironic, you may not. No biggie.

I never “scoffed and scorned” anti abortion campaigners. I just didn’t agree with them.

they/them/theirs

Advertisement