Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,674 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

They are falling between the 2 stools.

They don't have much public service content and most of what they offer is a poor mans commercial offering. Most of what they have is offered by a myriad of other broadcasters such as the BBC and done far better.

The BBC have a budget of 4 odd billion.

Silly comparison again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,312 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Boggles wrote: »

Silly comparison again.

BBC run multiple channels, multiple radio stations, also have multiple regional broadcasting as well as Wales and Scotland regional broadcasting. Create groundbreaking series and are constantly commissioning new series

RTE get 340 million for a coupla stations and a few radio stations and constantly serve us repeats and lowest common denominator crap - the comparison is very relevant.

fritzelly wrote: »
    BBC run multiple channels, multiple radio stations, also have multiple regional broadcasting as well as Wales and Scotland regional broadcasting. Create groundbreaking series and are constantly commissioning new series

RTE get 340 million for a coupla stations and a few radio stations and constantly serve us repeats and lowest common denominator crap - the comparison is very relevant.

The BBC spend 340 million on just their online content.

It's a stupid comparison.

Why aren't Limerick FC winning the champions league stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Nationwide repeat on now, they can count on its older viewers not remembering if they had seen it already or not anyway.

Nationwide repeat on now, they can count on its older viewers not remembering if they had seen it already or not anyway.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Selling assets to pay running costs is simply dumb and should usually signal an insolvent organisation

lawred2 wrote: »
    Selling assets to pay running costs is simply dumb and should usually signal an insolvent organisation

How are they not getting the FAI treatment by now? They piss away far more state funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Silly comparison again.

It's not a comparison, it's a reason plough their own furrow. Don't try to produce BBC style shows to out up against BBC shows, do your own unique things.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Because the older presenters are on massive salaries and they aren't allowing a younger generation of presenters an opportunity.

they are allowing a younger generation of presenters an opportunity. there are a number of young presenters in rte now, especially on the likes of 2fm.
    Why should the rest of us be forced by law to retire at 66 while these people go on forever and are unsackable.

under what law are the rest of us forced to retire at 65? excluding the parts of the public service with manditary retirement.
    nobody is unsackable. however, rte are not going to sack presenters for the sake of it or because someone on boards.ie thinks they are to old.
    Does Marty Whelan want a job at RTE until he's 100?

i don't know. perhapse you could get in contact with him and put that question to him? no better place to get an answer then from the horse's mouth.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

They never f*cking ask us, that's the problem.

The BBC have a complaints show where you can tell them what you want. RTE used to have this but dropped it.
    They've no interest in what the public want.

well, it seems they actually do have some interest in what some of the public want hence they are providing the good amount of junk they are providing.
    it's not what we want but unfortunately public service or any broadcasting, can't just cater to an individual personal taste.
    say rte were to bring back the form that allows us to tell them the type of programming we want. what happens if everyone wants different things and there is no majority view on what should be broadcast?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

McGaggs wrote: »
    It's not a comparison, it's a reason plough their own furrow. Don't try to produce BBC style shows to out up against BBC shows, do your own unique things.

Like what?

Complaining about the BBC is also a national past time in Britain, where people also think 95% of what's on is shíté.

I also don't see how RTE do try and go toe to toe with the BBC programming wise?

Examples maybe.

People need accept that RTE are in direct competition with all territorial British Broadcasting + Sky.

That's in the region of 30-40 odd billion.

People need to think about that when they reference the €340m RTE have.

The Beeb spent €100 million on the new set of Eastenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,150 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I wouldn't compare Rte to BBC. It's not fair.

Plus, imho the BBC produces a lot of crap too. As does sky, Netflix etc.

For me, all the providers tend to live to the 80:20 rule. 80% of what they produce is average, or filler. 20% is decent to very good.

People rave about Netflix for example. There are nights I could scroll thru it for an hour looking for something to watch. I have started many shows and stopped again as they were pants.

As much as Rte content is slagged, don't be fooled into thinking they are the only TV company that produces rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,507 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Irelands Fittest Family on now, a repeat at prime time all 1.5 hours of it.
    Daniel and Majella's TRoad Trip on at 10:15 to 11:15, think this is only the 3rd time it has been shown.

Could they not rerun something original they made from the 1980's, anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭jface187

RTE spending all this money on Ads on Youtube to get people to watch the RTE Player and what show are they advertising? Making a Murder, the netflix show. So yeah instead of watching on Netflix you should watch it on RTE player with ads and less playback options.

jface187 wrote: »
    RTE spending all this money on Ads on Youtube to get people to watch the RTE Player and what show are they advertising? Making a Murder, the netflix show. So yeah instead of watching on Netflix you should watch it on RTE player with ads and less playback options.

So RTE have bought Making a Murderer?

That's exactly what they should be doing more of into the future.

Cherry picking the best of streaming is the way forward.

So RTE have bought Making a Murderer?

That's exactly what they should be doing more of into the future.

Cherry picking the best of streaming is the way forward.

Or you know maybe...
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/tv/tg4-crime-documentaryfinne-ireland-tv-13197282

No matter what RTE do you are apologist for them, can do no wrong and when they do it's because they are being restricted in what they can do

fritzelly wrote: »
    No matter what RTE do you are apologist for them

Bullshít.

Go through my posts on this thread and you will see how I have tried to put up thought out proposals on how they need to improve.

The thread is largely an echo chamber of whinge.

The vast majority of people are just having a moan.

Yourself included, so before you go around claiming I'm an apologist maybe put forward a couple of proposals yourself, be constructive instead of the typical Irish complain for the sake of complaining schtick, which achieves the grand sum of fúck all.

On one hand you compare them to the likes of ITV then on the other hand dismiss comparisons to the BBC
    I think the organisation has to be gone through line by line to cut costs and if still isn't breaking even I would support a modest increase in the fee.
    Even when mildly berating them if they cant at least break even you give them a cop out - increase the licence fee. Must be deluded if you think they could ever pay for themselves when year on year they are losing money

Go on to mention RTE streaming could compete with other streaming services - you can't even use the RTE player to start with. My god how many millions did they spend revamping that to end up in a worse place

Only thing you seem to vaguely agree on is a coupla radio stations "may" not be fit for purpose which is endemic of the value RTE place on themselves

RTE needs stripping back to the bare essentials - buying Eastenders for the very few who cannot watch it on satellite or thru all the other providers in the state is wasted money
    Thinking repeating the same series ad nauseum doesn't get the goat up in people is deluded - tho I'm sure that will only increase
    RTE should be split to a purely state sponsored (via tax) channel, everything else stands on itself via advertising or closes
    They still think it's the 1980's. Everyone and their dog knew the pope's visit wasn't gonna be anything like the last one but RTE spent a fortune on it and then uses it as an excuse for extraordinary spending that it doesn't normally have to do - jaysus it could have been covered by a dozen crew throughout the day not the multitudes they sent to report on every aspect of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭downtheroad

There was a crime correspondent on the 9 o clock news just now for a 1 minute segment. Would he have many hours of work per week does anyone know? I'm sure he gets paid a nice salary for writing a couple of articles for the website and showing up on the news every once in a while. Surely there is no need for such niche correspondents and 1 reporter could be given several briefs to cover?

Its time for Tubridy's agent to pretend the BBC are after him again I think. Is there anything to be said for showing Glenroe again? Id probably watch it but cant remember it ever bein repeated, does the Burrowes esate have strict control over it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

can Brezzie rekindle The Lyrics Board? or Lotti Ryan and the ghost of Derek David give Live at 3 another blast? these are the type of fresh ideas we need!!

can Brezzie rekindle The Lyrics Board? or Lotti Ryan and the ghost of Derek David give Live at 3 another blast? these are the type of fresh ideas we need!!

Nostalgia is so hot right now, all things 80's back in a big way.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Limerick FC are on the verge of being would up because of mismanagement. Seems an apt comparison.

You are almost agreeing with my point. RTE will never be as good as the BBC. Every house in Ireland has access to the BBC and the BBC produce programs such as Blue Planet or Top Gear RTE can only dream about.

RTEs public service content will always fall well behind, hence the argument in defence of it offering great public service is weak.

It offers the news, some documentaries and current affairs programs, but so do Virgin. A privatised RTE would be no great loss to the Irish people, particularly in an era of Satellite TV where hundreds of TV channels are available or Netflix which has many documentaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭larchill

See Danny & Majellas US trip is airing again tonight. Another bloody repeat, no wonder no one wanrs to pay the TV license! Should be renamed RTV (Repeat TV) 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 15,908 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Just to mention. The BBC iPlayer app is the dogs blx. You can listen live, go back, choose documentaries or whatever you are into. And we do not have to pay for that either. Granted it is radio. Best medium out there IMO.

Anyway, RTE radio app is not too bad, has some glitches though now and then, but honestly most of the content is worthless and forgettable. Handy for those abroad though I suspect, just like me on me holliers!

But I prefer Newstalk but only PK I have to say. That fella on RTE SOR seems to be annoyed a lot of the time. Time to retire now dear!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Why are RTE even showing Eastenders? It's simultaneously broadcast on BBC (without the ads.)

Still playing and paying Larry Gogan. He's the Bella Doyle of Radio. When was the last time anyone said to you, "Were you listening to Larry today? Great wasn't he?"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭jelutong

I agree 100%. It’s superb.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/sep/19/bbc-to-move-more-staff-and-services-out-of-london

Given the price of property in South Dublin should RTE consider following the BBC example and moving elsewhere in the country. BBC have a significant presence throughout the UK. Surely RTE must be sitting on massive value in Montrose ?

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/sep/19/bbc-to-move-more-staff-and-services-out-of-london

Given the price of property in South Dublin should RTE consider following the BBC example and moving elsewhere in the country. BBC have a significant presence throughout the UK. Surely RTE must be sitting on massive value in Montrose ?

What isthe current Montrose site valuation? All well and good selling it all but then how much would it cost to buy a new site and rebuild?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

70537841_2985153524835243_8949323552520142848_n.jpg

Advertisement