Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,173 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

4.3 million too much.

But Lyric is just one example.

The salaries of some presenters on most stations for in many cases a few hours airtime a week are outrageous. Probably the number one area that needs cutting back.

the 276,000 listeners of lyric would disagree with you. You dont like lyric, we get it. Though how you have formed that opinion without ever listening to the station is hard to understand.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

I dont care. I dont use them so they have to go.

So you'd get rid of channels that are at the core of our national identity and unique to Ireland and keep a channel like Lyric that is duplicated by at least 10 other easily accessible stations?

TG4 is about the only useful thing that comes out of the licence fee. I'd have no issue keeping that public but privatise the rest.

the 276,000 listeners of lyric would disagree with you. You dont like lyric, we get it. Though how you have formed that opinion without ever listening to the station is hard to understand.

That's weekly listeners, spread out over 7 days and with many cases of the one listener listening numerous times.

It now has a whopping 1.7% of national radio listernership and fell 12% in a year.
    According to the latest JNLR figures, RTÉ Lyric FM lost 12% of its listenership in the third quarter of 2018 compared to the same period last year.
    Lyric had 267,000 weekly listeners in July-September 2018, 27,000 less than 2017. The station now has 1.7% of the national radio listenership.

https://journalofmusic.com/news/rte-lyric-fm-lost-12-its-listenership-2018

So you'd get rid of channels that are at the core of our national identity and unique to Ireland and keep a channel like Lyric that is duplicated by at least 10 other easily accessible stations?

TG4 is about the only useful thing that comes out of the licence fee. I'd have no issue keeping that public but privatise the rest.

I dont use them so i dont care. Do you how stupid that sounds now?

That's weekly listeners, spread out over 7 days and with many cases of the one listener listening numerous times.

It now has a whopping 1.7% of national radio listernership and fell 12% in a year.

https://journalofmusic.com/news/rte-lyric-fm-lost-12-its-listenership-2018

It has also received less and less money over the years while RTE costs were going up. The issues with RTE will not be resolved by getting rid of lyric.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,621 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I know of people who get very poor FM radio signal and must listen to Irish radio stations online so the reverse also applies.

I'm sure you do, but anyway that's not really the reverse.

That's the license fee paying for broadcasting on multiply formats.
    Are you familiar with the fact RTE are loss making and will be into the future?

Absolutely, I have written extensively about it on here, you know that all ready though, so that is a bizarre question.
    The overwhelming majority have access to internet either broadband or on their phone. The case for another classical station when there are already 10 others out there is zero.

It's a poor premise.

There is something like it here so therefore they should eliminate it.

You could apply that to most media output in Ireland and close most of it down

But that would be daft.

It has also received less and less money over the years while RTE costs were going up. The issues with RTE will not be resolved by getting rid of lyric.

Its a duplication of 10 other easily accessible stations. One of many duplications in RTE.

RTE Gold is a duplication of Classic Hits FM. Its used as a retirement home for Larry Gogan.

RTE still believe they are the only show in town. Imagine how long Aer Lingus would have lasted if it pretended Ryanair never existed and still charged the cost of a weekly wage to fly to London. This is the mentality RTE still have.

Its a duplication of 10 other easily accessible stations. One of many duplications in RTE.

RTE Gold is a duplication of Classic Hits FM. Its used as a retirement home for Larry Gogan.

RTE still believe they are the only show in town. Imagine how long Aer Lingus would have lasted if it pretended Ryanair never existed and still charged the cost of a weekly wage to fly to London. This is the mentality RTE still have.

you keep repeating that nonsense. repeating it does not make it true.

RTE Gold is a duplication of Classic Hits FM.

No it isn't.

Classic Hits FM is a "duplication" of RTE Gold which was launched first.

Amazing a private commercial entity would be silly enough to duplicate something that all ready existed.

you keep repeating that nonsense. repeating it does not make it true.

It takes a couple of minutes to install tune in and search for any of these.

With Google Home it takes 5 seconds to request them.

If that's not easily accessible I don't know what is?

Are you too lazy or something to install tune in?

• Advertisement

Boggles wrote: »
    No it isn't.

Classic Hits FM is a "duplication" of RTE Gold which was launched first.

Amazing a private commercial entity would be silly enough to duplicate something that all ready existed.

Who cares which was launched first. They both do the same thing. But one belongs to a loss making business, RTE.

RTE spend huge amounts of money on various radio stations like RTE Gold, Lyric and 2FM that duplicate other commercial stations and then have no money left to put anything except repeats on RTE television.

Why would anyone throw more money into this money pit?

It takes a couple of minutes to install tune in and search for any of these.

With Google Home it takes 5 seconds to request them.

If that's not easily accessible I don't know what is?

Are you too lazy or something to install tune in?

tell that to an OAP with no smartphone. You seem to forget about their public service remit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Rte have 1800 staff. Thats mental.

Virgin media operate out of an industrial unit in the suberbs. I would take a guess 200 staff.

Rte needs to be broken up. Flog the fancy site and operate the tv channels from a warehouse in the siburbs.

Franchise out 2fm, radio 1, lyric etc. Into a studio share with an existing radio station.

Merge the orchestra with a university orchrstra.

Job done.

Who cares which was launched first. They both do the same thing. But one belongs to a loss making business, RTE.

RTE spend huge amounts of money on various radio stations like RTE Gold, Lyric and 2FM that duplicate other commercial stations and then have no money left to put anything except repeats on RTE television.

Why would anyone throw more money into this money pit?

Everything essentially duplicates everything.

We should just shut it all down and install that app you were talking about. :pac:

easypazz wrote: »

Virgin media operate out of an industrial unit in the suberbs. I would take a guess 200 staff.

Well it's hardly surprising it's an absolute load of gash so.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,987 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Here's 10 other classical music stations that cater to their taste.

http://www.favorite-classical-composers.com/classical-music-radio.html

i already dealt with the online radio argument. it does not have universal availability and coverage across the country where as fm radio does.
    and this is coming from someone who actually does all of his radio listening via online but is in a lucky position to be able to do so yet recognises the reality.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

tell that to an OAP with no smartphone. You seem to forget about their public service remit.

Ah the OAP with no smartphone argument.

Most OAPs I know are just as competent with smart phones as young people.

Keeping open an expensive radio station for the odd OAP without a smart phone is about as bad an idea I have heard yet.

Next...

i already dealt with the online radio argument. it does not have universal availability and coverage across the country where as fm radio does.
    and this is coming from someone who actually does all of his radio listening via online but is in a lucky position to be able to do so yet recognises the reality.

The availability of FM radio and online radio either fixed or on your phone is roughly the same. Mobile phone operators offer something like 95% coverage nationwide.

Next...

Ah the OAP with no smartphone argument.

Most OAPs I know are just as competent with smart phones as young people.

Keeping open an expensive radio station for the odd OAP without a smart phone is about as bad an idea I have heard yet.

Next...

11% of the population according to the last census.

Well it's hardly surprising it's an absolute load of gash so.

I disagree that its gash. With no state funding they mana g eto put out a reasonable product. Rte are not spectacularly better with a huge state wedge behind them.

The rte tv stations could put out much the same product for a lot less money imo.

I assume there is a lavish restaurant well subsidised in montrose yet tv3 probably have a basic canteen.

• Advertisement

I disagree that its gash. With no state funding they mana g eto put out a reasonable product.

It's Virgin, they could fund the state if they wanted.

Honestly I never switch it on, what's good?

You couldn't be arsed looking it up. Just like you couldn't be arsed using tune in to find other classical radio stations.
    A common mindset no doubt and explains why RTE spend 6 million on a station that's duplicated by others when they are already bankrupt.

lyric is not duplicated by any other fm radio station in ireland.
    TG4 and RNG are not duplicated by anyone else and run very competent operations with very high quality, particularly TG4.

incorrect, they are duplicated by radio rira.
    it's programming is all done in irish and is quite different to rnag and tg4 but it provides irish language content so there is no need for the other 2.
    rnag is ran by rte by the way.

lyric fm is a non-duplicate of 10 other not so easily accessable stations. i have already explained why the 10 stations aren't as easily accessable as lyric.
    rte gold is much much better then classic hits and launched before it. it's problem is it has a lot less coverage due to the dab network not being as expansive, however that could be resolved by putting it on 2fm's transmission network on fm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Doblin

Tbh the story about closing lyric is fake news, it's RTE trolling the government & the public hoping to get more money. I really can't see it happening. They'll possibly close the Limerick HQ tho and move the whole thing to mountrose.

11% of the population according to the last census.

What % of those rely on lyric?

Maybe keep an extra garda station open here and there instead?

Rte have 1800 staff. Thats mental.

11 or so radio stations, 4 or 5 tv stations, support staff to bring a higher standard of news and current affairs programming. i believe they also make some of their own programming. so it's not surprising that all adds up to a good number of staff.

they mostly put out bought in programming. they don't put out a high proportion of news and current affairs programming. they only have i think 3 channels.
    Rte needs to be broken up.

Flog the fancy site and operate the tv channels from a warehouse in the siburbs.

how do you run all of what rte runs from such a facility? you know a purpose built facility won't come cheap, and any warehouse would probably have to be extended, or even built to a suitable standard in the first place. chances are by the time that all gets done, a huge proportion of the money from the land sell off will have been wiped out. again, this is nothing more then a soundbite where people don't seem to think of the actual realities.
    Franchise out 2fm, radio 1, lyric etc.

to who exactly? and what exactly would be the point?
    the license fee won't reduce. the costs likely won't reduce because anyone bidding for the franchise will actually want to make a profit and unless the public service element is severely cut back, then the license fee will probably go up even higher then if the lot remained with rte.
    so, more failed privatize nonsense.
    Into a studio share with an existing radio station.

great, which radio station, and does this station have the space? will this radio station be forced to share such studios or could they build an extra one to incorporate 2fm?
    what would this station offer via the transmission network of 2fm that either 2fm itself doesn't offer,or the other radio station doesn't offer on it's existing frequency?
    Merge the orchestra with a university orchrstra.

and what would be the point of that as well? what would it achieve?
    Job done.

no, not job done.
    in fact, i have a bad feeling that you have probably cost us more for an even worse service.

Virgin recently claimed to have more news & current affairs output per week than RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I refused to watch it. Sinead is doing her old 'I'm a priest/ rastafarian now' routine... but this time 'I'm a muslim'. Her 'I don't want to hang around white people' was cringey, especially as she was wearing fake tan....and she is white. Like, pale white IRish.

But what really, really irked me (besides she sang her only hit song, again) is that she spat on the the dead body of Prince when he died... and yet still sings the song he wrote, as the ungrateful individual she truly is.
    Or she uses her mental illness to try and not pay taxes.
    Or go on Dr Phil.

People trying to pull this 'she's a feminist icon' are literally showing how poisonous that viewpoint has become...
    She plays the victim, she acts the victim. She wants to be the victim...she'd convert to Scientology if she thought it would feed her victimhood.

She's been saying that about prince since it happened

The availability of FM radio and online radio either fixed or on your phone is roughly the same. Mobile phone operators offer something like 95% coverage nationwide.

Next...

whether phone operators offer 95% coverage across the country or not is irrelevant. it is the standard of the signal and whether it is strong enough to support people being able to reliably stream online radio. in a good few parts of the country, it is not strong enough. also, data will have to be paid for.
    but it doesn't change the reality that terrestrial radio is much more accessable and easier to access, and that lyric meets the public service remit of rte, and it's existence via the fm platform is absolutely justified as online radio as fantastic as it is, is just not a suitable replacement for many.

Doblin wrote: »
    Virgin recently claimed to have more news & current affairs output per week than RTE

say that it is the case that they do, how high is the standard of what they put out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

RTÉ most valuable asset is the land it is on, purpose built or not it is probably holding them back more than anything.

It would be interesting to see how much they spend trying to retrofit the current space compare to what it would cost to build an up to date space outside the city centre in a larger location. If they sold the whole lot and built plus the budget they pump in each year to update I would expect you would see saving

Look at the likes of BOI/AIB etc who have all pulled city centre based locations and moved to new offices outside the city centre which gives them an up to date space

They ain’t doing it to cost them money

• Advertisement

say that it is the case that they do, how high is the standard of what they put out?

I'm not really a regular viewer but their news programs seem no different from RTE's ones

Advertisement