Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Newstalk broadcast from the ploughing. Shacked up in the Lidl tent though.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,572 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

McGaggs wrote: »
    They shouldn't be competing with that, but the problem is that they try to compete.

That makes no sense. One set of Irish eyes on the BBC, ITV or Channel 4, etc is not a set on Irish programming. That effects viewing figures which effects revenue.

RTE don't or can't dictate what they are competing with, that is the fairly unique conditions we are in and ultimately the person will decide what they watch.

If RTE like you suggest only focused on the very basic obligations it would die a very painful and quick death.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Boggles wrote: »

I have no idea, I don't listen to them. You tell me you are the one who has.

But I would be shocked if wasn't The Turbidy Show at the Ploughing brought to you by X Company.

Again though, you are intentionally avoiding the question, how do you know for definite that they will make a loss from it?

I listened to the last minute of morning Ireland, and the first 2 minutes of Tubridy. Enough to know they are down at the ploughing.

Your posting style is odd. You claim to know next to nothing on RTE, yet if anyone claims they know something about the situation, you attack them.

You offer no facts yourself or much enlightenment, just surmising what might be the case. You can do better than that.

Tell us who sponsors Tubridy at the ploughing. The information should be easily available if RTE are open and transparent.

The BBC send a large portion of their Radio Presenters and Producers to Glastonbury every year for the full 4 days plus.

The BBC have an annual budget of something like 3 billion.

Tell us who sponsors Tubridy at the ploughing. The information should be easily available if RTE are open and transparent.

I've no idea, I didn't listen to it like I said.

Newstalk were there with Lidl as one poster pointed out, I don't listen to that station either.

So corporate sponsorship of such events is pretty common.

I can't understand how you might have such a problem with that.

• Advertisement

The BBC have an annual budget of something like 3 billion.

So what.

They still send mass amount of people to cover a large festival. Just like RTE did. All though I imagine the amount of people sent would be a fraction.

I can't see what you are struggling with here.

The Ploughing is the largest event we have on this island, it is worth 10s of millions, it highlights rural Ireland, something that doesn't highlight quite often, why should our national broadcaster not send people there and have their shows from it?

It's a done thing with other stations here and in Britain and all around Europe.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

So what.

They still send mass amount of people to cover a large festival.

The BBC's coverage of Glastonbury is exceptional, 2 channels each night are showing the festival, 1 is live, the other is pre-recorded sets of the big acts, then their radio coverage is also excellent.

All in all, I would say excellent value for money.

RTÉ meanwhile, are just running their usual shows, in their usual format, with the addition of being live at the ploughing championships, so perhaps they'll throw in the odd interview with Ted Sweeney the farmer, or Jimmy Boyle who sells tractors and chainsaws, and can eat 5 full Irish breakfasts in 6 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

No they aren't.

You only pay a license if you have a device with a tuner capable of decoding the terrestrial signal used by RTE.

If you do not have one of these you can fill out a form saying you are exempt.

Having access to the RTE player or the RTE website does not mean you need to have a license.

So if you don't have the ability to use the service, you don't pay, so no you don't go to jail like the poster claimed.

That is the law as it stands, now they have been touting a law change for the past 5 years which I am firmly against, because it does not give the option for someone to opt out.

I don't know what this means. What about if you just want to watch Netflix? Buy laptop, pay for internet, pay for Netflix - why should we have to pay for p*xy RTE? not everyone wants to watch Ryan Tubridy's country specials and Winning Streak :(

The BBC's coverage of Glastonbury is exceptional, 2 channels each night are showing the festival, 1 is live, the other is pre-recorded sets of the big acts, then their radio coverage is also excellent.

RTÉ meanwhile, are just running their usual shows, in their usual format, with the addition of being live at the ploughing championships, so perhaps they'll throw in the odd interview with Ted Sweeney the farmer, or Jimmy Boyle who sells tractors and chainsaws, and can eat 5 full Irish breakfasts in 6 minutes.

Ah yes, but this may blow you mind.

Some people will find the coverage of the ploughing exceptional just like you find Glastonbury exceptional.

That's what public broadcasting is or any broadcasting really, 95% shíte and 5% exceptional.

The exceptional bit is purely down to personal taste.

Antares35 wrote: »
    I don't know what this means. What about if you just want to watch Netflix? Buy laptop, pay for internet, pay for Netflix - why should we have to pay for p*xy RTE? (

It's very simple, you don't as the law stands.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Some people will find the coverage of the ploughing exceptional

What coverage? I don't see anything in todays listings on RTÉ 1 or 2, or did I miss it? Is the ploughing championships finished already?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

You only pay a license if you have a device with a tuner capable of decoding the terrestrial signal used by RTE.

I'm not trying to be a smart hole with ya here: But can you find me a device with a 55 inch 4K screen with a min 60hz refresh rate which also has with speakers?

Genuinely I'm searching for something like this, because when I get my house as I don't want to pay the licence.
    You can get "Display/Advertising monitors" but they aren't suitable for something like an Xbox or anything with a high FPS rate.

I get that you can Use PC Monitors as well but there isn't really anything above 32/35 inches and even those a curved super wide screen monitors. (Plus they are extremely expensive)

So you're kind of technically talking about a device which doesn't exist.
    Therefore there is no other option but to get a TV and Pay for the licence. (If you want something that everyone can sit down in the living room and watch like.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Antares35 wrote: »
    I don't know what this means. What about if you just want to watch Netflix? Buy laptop, pay for internet, pay for Netflix - why should we have to pay for p*xy RTE? (

It's very simple, you don't as the law stands.

Any you can but a projector or a 60'' high definition monitor and even watch RTE player(if you could put up with the adds) and you are not legally obliged to have a licence.

Slava Ukrainii

So the proposed broadcasting charge.
    Is it not odd that RTE will get virtually every penny of it? Even though much of the content people consume has nothing to do with RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Paywall RTE Player, case closed, of course they know nobody would pay for it.

I can see most if not all TV channels in the future being internet only - basically like Netflix.

The cost and infrastructure around traditional broadcasting methods (terrestrial or satellite) is astronomical at present - set top boxes, aerials, etc

And yes you probably will pay a subscription charge for each channel.

But you shouldn't be forced to pay for something you don't watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Doblin

Anybody who would pay for the RTE player would be entitled to do a charge back on their credit card because it's not fit for purpose :D

Paywall would at least solve the raging problem of the entire planet wanting to view RTE for free no less. :)

I'm not trying to be a smart hole with ya here: But can you find me a device with a 55 inch 4K screen with a min 60hz refresh rate which also has with speakers?

So you're kind of technically talking about a device which doesn't exist.

I must certainly am not.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-Ultra-Conference-Room-Monitor/dp/B07JJYQRZ9/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=C5519Q&qid=1568810313&sr=8-1

Doesn't have speakers, But I have never used a TV's speakers anyway. No half decent gamer or movie enthusiast would either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

RTÉ meanwhile, are just running their usual shows, in their usual format, with the addition of being live at the ploughing championships, so perhaps they'll throw in the odd interview with Ted Sweeney the farmer, or Jimmy Boyle who sells tractors and chainsaws, and can eat 5 full Irish breakfasts in 6 minutes.[/quote]
    Ya mean the sight marty Morrissy jiving to Michael English isn't money we'll spent??? Come come now

• Advertisement

I must certainly am not.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-Ultra-Conference-Room-Monitor/dp/B07JJYQRZ9/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=C5519Q&qid=1568810313&sr=8-1

Doesn't have speakers, But I have never used a TV's speakers anyway. No half decent gamer or movie enthusiast would either.

Tried the conference monitors in work with the XB1.
    Not the same, the response is either above 5ms or the contrast ratios is crap or there is monitor bleeding
    AND
    There is no speakers and no Optical out jack :(

It's not the same, it's just not designed for the same kind of image quality you'd get with a proper TV.

I can see most if not all TV channels in the future being internet only - basically like Netflix.

IPTV is all ready being used in Ireland, it's not something for the future, it's been here a while. It's not a big deal or a game changer, it's just a different form of digital transmission, AFAIK RTE make money from Saorview.

The problem is quality of internet access, considering our national broadband plan should have been done and dusted and in place last year, but still has not started, we will have traditional digital broadcast methods for a fair while yet.

Tried the conference monitors in work with the XB1.

Make, Model?

Make, Model?

Dell Interactive 85 inch (I think)
    It's about 4 years old
    Supports 4k, but the contrast ratio is only 1200/1000:1 which is crap
    60Hz but is decent again only a 3.5mm line out (useless)
    and 8ms Response time

It's perfect for conferences, but crap for TV and Games

They're actually in the process of replacing them with LG TV's :o

Dell Interactive 85 inch (I think)
    It's about 4 years old
    Supports 4k, but the contrast ratio is only 1200/1000:1 which is crap
    60Hz but is decent again only a 3.5mm line out (useless)
    and 8ms Response time

It's perfect for conferences, but crap for TV and Games

They're actually in the process of replacing them with LG TV's :o

What you are asking for you are going to pay for as even comparable TV's with true life spec will cost more.

Philips are about to launch one that is half the price of Dells Alienware offering (apparently).

Momentum 558M1RY

They do exist, they are coming on stream. Acer are launching too and like all these things give them 6 months and they will be far cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,477 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Genuinely I'm searching for something like this, because when I get my house as I don't want to pay the licence.
    You can get "Display/Advertising monitors" but they aren't suitable for something like an Xbox or anything with a high FPS rate.

I get that you can Use PC Monitors as well but there isn't really anything above 32/35 inches and even those a curved super wide screen monitors. (Plus they are extremely expensive)

To every problem, a solution: 64.5" 4k gaming monitor (144hz) with integrated soundbar:

https://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=4WY70AA&opt=ABU&sel=MTO

You never specified a budget :D

What you are asking for you are going to pay for as even comparable TV's with true life spec will cost more.

Philips are about to launch one that is half the price of Dells Alienware offering (apparently).

Momentum 558M1RY

They do exist, they are coming on stream. Acer are launching too and like all these things give them 6 months and they will be far cheaper.

I seen these too, but they are not Vesa compliant. Actually they might be...

They just don't make them with everything we need as Ireland is the only country in the world that actually needs them!!! :D:D:D
    Very dear for what they are.

What coverage? I don't see anything in todays listings on RTÉ 1 or 2, or did I miss it? Is the ploughing championships finished already?

All ready posted.

Tuesday 17th September

07:00 Morning Ireland on RTÉ Radio 1
    09:00 The Ryan Tubridy Show on RTÉ Radio 1
    10:30 Mark, The Science Guy from RTÉjr's, Let’s Find Out
    12:00 Panel (hosted by Nuala Carey): Eat Well/Think Well/Be Well, presented by Healthy Ireland
    13:20 RTÉ Weather: Live bulletin on RTÉ One
    15:00 The Ray D’Arcy Show on RTÉ Radio 1
    18:00 Six One News on RTÉ One
    18:55 RTÉ Weather: Live bulletin on RTÉ One
    Wednesday 18th September

10:00 Marty in the Morning on RTÉ lyric fm
    15:30 The Sunday Game panel with Marty Morrissey, including Michael Duignan and Dessie Dolan
    18:55 RTÉ Weather: Live bulletin on RTÉ One
    Thursday 20th September

09:30 Live Trad Music with The Merry Ploughboys
    13:45 Liveline’s Funny Thursday on RTÉ Radio 1
    15:30 Panel (hosted by Brenda Donohoe): Improved Health & Wellbeing, presented by Healthy Ireland
    18:55 RTÉ Weather: Live bulletin on RTÉ One.

Ah here, that ****e with Norris and Dana in Morocco is being repeated already tonight, wasnt on that long ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Ah here, that ****e with Norris and Dana in Morocco is being repeated already tonight, wasnt on that long ago.

I caught the last minute of that after the Spurs game ended on VM. WTAF!!!! How is “celebrity” globetrotter a thing on Irish tv?? Paying for that yoke Spittle to go on holidays.

Advertisement