Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

At a time when they are trying to justify funding increases, I cant recall them ever showing as many repeats.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,255 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

At a time when they are trying to justify funding increases, I cant recall them ever showing as many repeats.

Same story every Summer (RTE's summer is a long time)

fritzelly wrote: »
    Same story every Summer (RTE's summer is a long time)

I always thought the return of The Late Late officially bookended that period.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I caught the last minute of that after the Spurs game ended on VM. WTAF!!!! How is “celebrity” globetrotter a thing on Irish tv?? Paying for that yoke Spittle to go on holidays.

She's got a patreon, can she not pay for a holiday herself... :P

They also have started repeating that Desperate Houses thing too-I suppose before they bought the DIY SOS format, they would have made that a regular series.
    But RTE are OBSESSED with property, house, or renovation shows at the moment.

Between that sh**e with Pj Gallagher, that Desperate Houses show, the home of the year renovation shows, the new DIY SOS show with Baz Ashmawy (I've done more construction work than him, no doubt- I genuinely have. At least Nick Knowles has worked in construction). And now there's 'Find me a home', starting next week I think.

We're on the brink of another recession, and yet RTE are throwing away money on this crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Ah here, that ****e with Norris and Dana in Morocco is being repeated already tonight, wasnt on that long ago.

It should never have been shown the first time round

• Advertisement

Find me a Home which is...you guessed it...a repeat

Checking their listings for the next 5 days and makes you wonder how they go thru millions and still need more money
    70% of the programming is repeats (some shows are not even listed as repeats when they are), soap opera's, series long forgotten by any other country (probably dirt cheap to buy), reality shows and politics which in the whole are insipid affairs with the useless presenters

What the hell are we paying for?

Cannot think of one program by RTE that I thought "I must watch that"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

I caught the last minute of that after the Spurs game ended on VM. WTAF!!!! How is “celebrity” globetrotter a thing on Irish tv?? .
    Paying for that yoke Spittle to go on holidays

WOW WOW, you cant be calling an over weight feminist a nazi a "YOKE", the mods will calling the prude police

• Registered Users Posts: 33,006 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

They are showing repeats of that travel series with David Norris and Dana as a way to plug the gap before they unleash a torrent of cooking shows at the viewer over the autumn and winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

fritzelly wrote: »

Tragic that that's from 2015... and sweet nothing has changed.
    mzungu wrote: »
    They are showing that travel series with David Norris and Dana as a way to plug the gap before they unleash a torrent of cooking shows at the viewer over the autumn and winter. Which is another thing that I don't understand about RTE, do the Irish public really need all those cooking shows?

Isn't it a bit too late for the 'flll the gaps' thing? I mean, once the LLs, and Claire Byrne returned, the repeats should have levelled off. Instead, there's at least 11 repeats on RTE1 alone, today. (Yeah, I counted em).
    Only thing new was a one hour Fair City episode, which had to compete with a one hour Coronation Street episode on VM1.
    (Watched it-it bizarrely feels like a sequel to the Snapper. Even has Tina Kellegher in it playing a woman who gave away her child-and was 'a drunken slut' (as one character described her)).

mzungu wrote: »
    They are showing repeats of that travel series with David Norris and Dana as a way to plug the gap before they unleash a torrent of cooking shows at the viewer over the autumn and winter.

Cooking shows are relatively cheap and easy to make, prob only reason channels still persist with them, every possible dish in the world must have been televised a dozen times by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Tragic that that's from 2015... and sweet nothing has changed.

Isn't it a bit too late for the 'flll the gaps' thing? I mean, once the LLs, and Claire Byrne returned, the repeats should have levelled off. Instead, there's at least 11 repeats on RTE1 alone, today. (Yeah, I counted em).
    Only thing new was a one hour Fair City episode, which had to compete with a one hour Coronation Street episode on VM1.
    (Watched it-it bizarrely feels like a sequel to the Snapper. Even has Tina Kellegher in it playing a woman who gave away her child-and was 'a drunken slut' (as one character described her)).

Or paper over the cracks.

I wouldn't have an issue with RTE doing a few shows from "The Ploughing". It's a big event and there's big interest.

It would be great if they have people on telling their stories and selling chainsaws, mowers, tractors or whatever. Few stories and anecdotes. I'm all for it.

But, yesterday morning after Tubbs was finished his ,not so subliminal, advertising of the LLS and the toy show his next guest was Karl Henry from Operation Transformation, who he "Just bumped into". OT was talked about.

His next guest was Marty Morrissey. I didn't stay on the channel long enough to find out what he had to say but I bet it was RTE related.

Later in the day we had Ray Darcy interviewing Katherine Thomas about her child, wedding, herself, himself and Carlow. And Operation Transformation.

After that we had Diarmod Gavin on plugging Dermot Bannon's "Room to Improve".

All those interviews could have been done some other time in studio or even over the phone and the time allotted to ploughing/rural stuff. But, no, Rte have to keep self advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,572 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Well it makes perfect sense if you think about it, repeats are the cheapest thing to air.

Boggles wrote: »
    Well it makes perfect sense if you think about it, repeats are the cheapest thing to air.

In the court of public opnion it does RTE no favours though, all people see are endless repeats and wonder where their licence fee is going I fail to believe they cant produce anything new at a fraction of the cost of sending Norris, Dana and co to Morocco. If RTE was struggling to fund another series of a popular show such as Love/Hate they would have a much stronger argument in the eyes of the public I think.

In the court of public opnion it does RTE no favours though, all people see are endless repeats and wonder where their licence fee is going I fail to believe they cant produce anything new at a fraction of the cost of sending Norris, Dana and co to Morocco.

RTE didn't send them to Morocco, a private production company do. The show is an outsource and bought by RTE.

I haven't watched it, I am imagine it's dire. But that doesn't matter.

Does it garner an audience that justifies the outlay, that is on the only thing that matters.
    If RTE was struggling to fund another series of a popular show such as Love/Hate they would have a much stronger argument in the eyes of the public I think.

Again the anchor always seems to be Love / Hate.

This may come as a shock but I don't think I remember a more hyped series on any network or medium.

Now it was good to a point, the main reason being they got euro millions winner lucky by casting Tom Vaughan-Lawlor. Without him I very much doubt you would be bringing the show up on this thread.

That said a new crime drama is set to air soon Dublin Murders.

TBF it does look good.

RTE didn't send them to Morocco, a private production company do. The show is outsourced and bought by RTE.

I haven't watched it, I am imagine it's dire. But that doesn't matter.

Does it garner an audience that justifies the outlay, that is on the only thing that matters.

Again the anchor always seems to be Love / Hate.

This may come as a shock but I don't think I remember a more hyped series on any network or medium.

Now it was good to a point, the main reason being they got euro millions winner lucky by casting Tom Vaughan-Lawlor. Without him I very much doubt you would be bringing the show up on this thread.

That said a new crime drama is set to air soon Dublin Murders.

TBF it does look good.

I would hazard a guess the production company wouldn't have spent on the show to make a profit unless it was greenlit to be broadcast by RTE, doubt it came cheap for them either. My point being RTE could have either produced in house or through somebody else for far cheaper, not really a fan of Keith Barry but it was at least refreshing to see something new on RTE last night.

Like it or loathe the show, Love/Hate was a popular and a rare success story for the broadcaster. In comparison to RTE's general efforts at drama it is Goodfellas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭facehugger99

It always amuses me the fawning that any RTE-produced series gets for not being absolute rubbish.

Love/Hate, Bachelors Walk and Paths to Freedom were incredibly ordinary but got hyped to high-heaven for not being absolute muck.

Irish audiences have been conditioned to accept a very low bar of quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

All ready posted.

Tuesday 17th September

07:00 Morning Ireland on RTÉ Radio 1
    09:00 The Ryan Tubridy Show on RTÉ Radio 1
    10:30 Mark, The Science Guy from RTÉjr's, Let’s Find Out
    12:00 Panel (hosted by Nuala Carey): Eat Well/Think Well/Be Well, presented by Healthy Ireland
    13:20 RTÉ Weather: Live bulletin on RTÉ One
    15:00 The Ray D’Arcy Show on RTÉ Radio 1
    18:00 Six One News on RTÉ One
    18:55 RTÉ Weather: Live bulletin on RTÉ One
    Wednesday 18th September

10:00 Marty in the Morning on RTÉ lyric fm
    15:30 The Sunday Game panel with Marty Morrissey, including Michael Duignan and Dessie Dolan
    18:55 RTÉ Weather: Live bulletin on RTÉ One
    Thursday 20th September

09:30 Live Trad Music with The Merry Ploughboys
    13:45 Liveline’s Funny Thursday on RTÉ Radio 1
    15:30 Panel (hosted by Brenda Donohoe): Improved Health & Wellbeing, presented by Healthy Ireland
    18:55 RTÉ Weather: Live bulletin on RTÉ One.

Who would want to look at any of that? :P

• Advertisement

It always amuses me the fawning that any RTE-produced series gets for not being absolute rubbish.

Love/Hate, Bachelors Walk and Paths to Freedom were incredibly ordinary but got hyped to high-heaven for not being absolute muck.

Irish audiences have been conditioned to accept a very low bar of quality.

True, trying to go toe toe with Netflix, BBC on big budget drama's or even light hearted entertainment is utterly futile, it should aim to fulfil its public service remit and thats it.

My point being RTE could have either produced in house or through somebody else for far cheaper, not really a fan of Keith Barry but it was at least refreshing to see something new on RTE last night.

I think it is pretty much accepted and a fact that in house production is far more expensive, and the calls are for RTE to outsource far more than do.
    Like it or loathe the show, Love/Hate was a popular and a rare success story for the broadcaster. In comparison to RTE's general efforts at drama it is Goodfellas.

I don't loath it, I think it was good to a point, just overhyped beyond the extreme.

The best thing IMO Rte have every produced was a mini series called Family from 1994.

Sean McGinley was in it and it was written by Roddy Doyle and directed by Michael Winterbottom.

I don't know how it has aged but if it can be got on archive, I'd very much give it a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

In the court of public opnion it does RTE no favours though, all people see are endless repeats and wonder where their licence fee is going I fail to believe they cant produce anything new at a fraction of the cost of sending Norris, Dana and co to Morocco. If RTE was struggling to fund another series of a popular show such as Love/Hate they would have a much stronger argument in the eyes of the public I think.
    Or sending that annoying Brennan hotelier fella and the rest to SA and Asia or
    Sending brannon to Australia
    Of course they have to send the ear to the ground crew overseas any chance they get
    Never mind that Hector lad on tg4 leppin all the way from siberia to China
    They even managed to get a man most unsuitable for a travel programme Charlie Bird to go to Africa and one of the poles.. He complained all the way
    just off the top of my head there's plenty more

True, trying to go toe toe with Netflix, BBC on big budget drama's or even light hearted entertainment is utterly futile, it should aim to fulfil its public service remit and thats it.

Hang on, on one hand you saying it should produce gritty expensive crime thrillers and on the other you are saying it shouldn't go toe toe with others producing similar content.

You can't have both.

Also are RTE not fulfilling it's public service remit?

That is a low bar, if that is all it did it would be unrecognizable in 5 years.

Hang on, on one hand you saying it should produce gritty expensive crime thrillers and on the other you are saying it shouldn't go toe toe with others producing similar content.

You can't have both.

Also are RTE not fulfilling it's public service remit?

That is a low bar, if that is all it did it would be unrecognizable in 5 years.

Love/Hate was a complete one off/flash in the pan/all the planets aligned show which probably wouldnt happen again if RTE funded/bought/commisioned/whatever semantics apply to a multitude of future shows. My point being they cant afford to absorb the costs of a ratio of failures in the hope of one success like a Netflix would. RTE is the definition of Sturgeons Law,perhaps even surpassing it, if RTE was soley fulfilling its public service remit and nothing else then I dont think they would be in the financial trouble they are in.

Or sending that annoying Brennan hotelier fella and the rest to SA and Asia or
    Sending brannon to Australia
    Of course they have to send the ear to the ground crew overseas any chance they get
    Never mind that Hector lad on tg4 leppin all the way from siberia to China
    They even managed to get a man most unsuitable for a travel programme Charlie Bird to go to Africa and one of the poles.. He complained all the way
    just off the top of my head there's plenty more

All do well above average in ratings.

I don't see a problem with that to be honest, that's exactly what RTE need to be doing.

You are basing public service broadcasting on your own personal taste, that is your first and biggest mistake.

In fairness to TG4 they do far more with far less than RTE.

Love/Hate was a complete one off/flash in the pan/all the planets aligned show which probably wouldnt happen again if RTE funded/bought/commisioned/whatever semantics apply to a multitude of future shows. My point being they cant afford to absorb the costs of a ratio of failures in the hope of one success like a Netflix would. RTE is the definition of Sturgeons Law,perhaps even surpassing it, if RTE was soley fulfilling its public service remit and nothing else then I dont think they would be in the financial trouble they are in.

If RTE was only fulfilling it's public service remit it would die a complete death, we'd probably have one radio station and one or two TV stations that would be so bland no one would watch, commercial revenue would dry up and that would be that.

It's a terrible idea.

RTE have a huge opportunity IMO to buy in the pick of content for relatively cheap off the big streamers who are about to dilute their content to within an inch of their lives.

They should also up their collaborations with the big hitters, Canal+, Channel 4, BBC, etc.

I see nothing but opportunities coming down the line, if they can get themselves on a solid footing in the next 5 years.

I see nothing but opportunities coming down the line, if they can get themselves on a solid footing in the next 5 years.

Nothing in RTE's past suggests that to me.

TG4 produce superior indigenous programming on a minuscule budget and when they air filler at least its the Connemara legend himself, Clint Eastwood. :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭facehugger99

If RTE was only fulfilling it's public service remit it would die a complete death, we'd probably have one radio station and one or two TV stations

Sounds perfect.

TV license down to €40 a year, sign me up.

There's plenty of commercial stations serving up 'cookery show/travel show/house renovation show' slop, if that's what you're into.

Why are we being fleeced to the tune of €160 per annun to pay for more of it?

Advertisement