Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Doblin

Is chasing the youth market a complete lost cause now for linear channels ? Virgin2/3e completely abandoned the youth market a year or two ago replacing things like Family Guy with midsomer murders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Doblin wrote: »
    Is chasing the youth market a complete lost cause now for linear channels ? Virgin2/3e completely abandoned the youth market a year or two ago replacing things like Family Guy with midsomer murders.

The youth market watching people playing games on YouTube.....

Better off concentrating on the slightly older people who finally have some sense :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Doblin wrote: »

Why is a state broadcaster chasing any sort of market!?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

McGaggs wrote: »
    Just use the EPG and Showcase on your satellite box. For rte, that TV guide from 2017 will probably give you a good enough idea of what's on.

No need for a guide. We all know what's on at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Diceicle wrote: »
    Watched the Prime time piece on the RTE cuts. Tbf, they touched on a number of ppls criticisms of RTE - the pay, the fact it's made a loss the last number of years etc.
    Though they left out a number of others - nepotism, over unionized.
    Having Pat rabbitte on as RTE spokesperson was a bit weird though.

rte isn't over-unionized so there would be nothing to discuss, hence no point in wasting time mentioning something within the program that actually isn't the case.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

briany wrote: »
    The only reason I turn on RTE over Christmas is to confirm that the schedule is pure crap.

It's 2019. Most of us have a few options as far as Christmas entertainment goes. Fair enough, I can understand the auld Kerry farmer watching it, who's stuck in his ways, but the rest of us have moved on a little.

RTE Christmas TV is awful. Do not think Kerry farmers would watch it either. Nothing on it for them or anyone. You could sum up RTE's Christmas in 3 words: Mrs Brown's Boys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

You can set an excellently written drama in a coal cupboard. I don't buy into it all being about money.

It is all about the cronyism. The likes of Amy Huberman and Stephanie Preissner writing dramas are the reason why they are so poor. Rather than getting a proper writer, it is someone like this who is a friend of people in RTE get the job. An equivalent of Vince Gilligan, Margaret Atwood or Stephen King would not get a look in with RTE. That's the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

It is all about the cronyism. The likes of Amy Huberman and Stephanie Preissner writing dramas are the reason why they are so poor. Rather than getting a proper writer, it is someone like this who is a friend of people in RTE get the job. An equivalent of Vince Gilligan, Margaret Atwood or Stephen King would not get a look in with RTE. That's the problem.

Amy Humourless, BBC have the right idea with shows like The Repair Shop, Antiques Roadshow and Flog it on ever day for the codgers who are their only regular audience, antiques watching antiques.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭satguy

satguy wrote: »
    I just had a quick look at their schedule for Sunday 15 SEP,, and the whole day is nearly all repeats, the whole bloody day.

https://entertainment.ie/tv/rte-one/?date=15-09-2019&time=all-day

Nearly every show has an "R" after it !

Why am I being ask to pay for this pure rubbish, a pure waste of money. Someone really needs to be sacked here.

Speaking of repeats,, Monday 16 Sep is a sea of repeats, English soaps, and dead loss home made reality dross.

Monday
    https://entertainment.ie/tv/rte-one/?date=16-09-2019&time=all-day

What on earth are doing with nearly €300 million every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Amy Humourless, BBC have the right idea with shows like The Repair Shop, Antiques Roadshow and Flog it on ever day for the codgers who are their only regular audience, antiques watching antiques.

Bit of the ageism creeping in there.
    Never underestimate the grey €/£ :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

the odd time i watch actual television the constant interminable ad breaks just astound me. i could never go back to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

rte isn't over-unionized so there would be nothing to discuss, hence no point in wasting time mentioning something within the program that actually isn't the case.

Are you speaking from internal knowledge?
    It certainly seems to be a closed shop, like a number of large State organisations people seem to get shifted sideways rather than fired - that to me would usually indicate a unionised function. Happy to be corrected.
    Certainly the RTE insider on Twitter from 2017(?) - Secret RTE Producer - painted a picture of an organisation that was fairly paralysed with Unions.

This tweet has stuck with me:
    So people complaining about the way The Late Late Show is filmed... here's why everything shot in RTÉ studios looks like it's stuck in the 70s. RTÉ is very heavily unionised and the camera department (and studios in general) have used this power to make it hard to make good looking TV. Work practices are implemented not for safety, or staff protection, but to discourage innovation because innovation is hard work. So here's some of the fun rules. Want to go handheld? In any other studio a cameraman picks up the camera and a trainee looks after the cabling. In RTÉ you can’t use a trainee, €10 per hour, you have to use ANOTHER CAMERAMAN, €50 per hour. Why? Because the union wants you to. No safety reason. Just protectionism. RTÉ has a one-man jib. In RTÉ you have to have 2 people for it which makes it harder to use properly. Why? Jobs for the boys. Next: training - there isn't any. People from other areas like staging are promoted, have a few chats with other camera people, and then, a week later are on set shooting. Even though they can’t shoot to save their lives. If a camera person is bad, and a lot of them are, there is no way to make them better. If you complain the union goes nuts. You can't request the good camera people so every time you turn up in studio you have different camera operators, some good, some bad. Our RTÉ camera operators treat rehearsals like a joke. Routinely pulling up chairs and having a read of the paper or take a break, so when you move between shots they routinely miss them. Meaning the rehearsal has to stop and go back so they can put down their magazine. That is why the Late Late, Ray Darcy, Prime Time and everything else we make look awful - we can't go handheld, can’t use jibs properly and can't get the same crew every week. I was working on a kids show a couple of years ago and one of the operators complained because of the complexity of the shots (not very complex) because and I quote "it's too much work" and it's not the camera operator's individual fault. It's the view, in studio, that what is important is doing things THE WAY they want to rather than the way it should be done for the best show, the happiest crew, and most satisfied viewers. But no, better to make mediocrity. But that's just one department. I can tell worse stories for staging, sound, electricians. And, most of all, my department - production.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/719cv4/ive_compiled_all_the_tweets_from_secret_rt%C3%A9/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Doblin

That pillock Larry Bass has been flat out shilling for RTE, saying that the licence fee should be doubled. Nobody has pointed out to him that the garbage he makes like dancing with the stars is not public service broadcasting and shouldn't be getting a red cent from the tax payer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

elperello wrote: »
    Bit of the ageism creeping in there.
    Never underestimate the grey €/£ :)

Yeah, except everyone over 70 (and in some cases below that threshold) get a license for free. They are never going to "talk with their feet" and stop paying for something they dont pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Are you speaking from internal knowledge?
    It certainly seems to be a closed shop, like a number of large State organisations people seem to get shifted sideways rather than fired - that to me would usually indicate a unionised function. Happy to be corrected.
    Certainly the RTE insider on Twitter from 2017(?) - Secret RTE Producer - painted a picture of an organisation that was fairly paralysed with Unions.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/719cv4/ive_compiled_all_the_tweets_from_secret_rt%C3%A9/

I was thinking of the SecProdu stuff earlier in the week, and how its almost been a year after all that was dragged out on Twitter, and nothing has been done, just Dee in the news whinging about funding and demanding more license fees and broadcast charges. But then saw in that reddit thread it was Sept 2017...it was actually 2 years ago :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Are they to now sell the Cork studios? If they keep selling all their land this time next year they will be millionaires...

imos-1-767x1024.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,255 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Whilst selling off the land maybe a good thing its just a temporary stop gap for all the other mismanaged areas (and that's assuming anyone buys it for the price they want)

The 100 million they made a few years ago has already gone

They are doing what liquidators do - asset stripping

But the new News studio looks amazing.

Are you speaking from internal knowledge? It certainly seems to be a closed shop, like a number of large State organisations people seem to get shifted sideways rather than fired - that to me would usually indicate a unionised function. Happy to be corrected.

when an organisation has enough staff to fill rolls, they will try and move those staff around as the staff are already familiar with the company. i believe it happens across many big organisations to an extent.
    to be fair people being fired from rte is not something we are going to be told about unless it's a high profile situation, but i'm sure it must happen when and where actually required.

This tweet has stuck with me:

to be fair, anyone can set up a twitter account and state they are an insider in whatever organisation. whether the individual concerned is genuinely an insider or not i can't say for definite either way, but i haven't saw anything myself to show that they absolutely were, so i wouldn't be taking their "revelations" as gospal myself, even though i agree there are issues with rte.

M

Dee has been at the wheel of RTE over 3 years and made a bollix of it, whoy has she not been shown the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Acosta

Are they to now sell the Cork studios? If they keep selling all their land this time next year they will be millionaires...

imos-1-767x1024.jpg

Some Cork woman she is... Not surprising as it's slowly been downgraded over the years. The radio station is long gone. I guess Maura and Daithi are going to have a long drive to work soon. I think they still make some children's tv in there. I remember them doing No Disco in there years back. Good auld days.

The more RTE behave like a commercial network mainly appealing to the lowest common denominator on radio and tv, the less chance there'll be any uptake in more people paying the licence. Probably even more will refuse to pay. And rightly so. The BBC they are not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Selling stuff seems ultimately pointless.

If they are going to sell off assets then sell Dublin location and stick them into Athlone, plenty of cheap land and easy to get in and out of Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

when an organisation has enough staff to fill rolls, they will try and move those staff around as the staff are already familiar with the company. i believe it happens across many big organisations to an extent.
    to be fair people being fired from rte is not something we are going to be told about unless it's a high profile situation, but i'm sure it must happen when and where actually required.

to be fair, anyone can set up a twitter account and state they are an insider in whatever organisation. whether the individual concerned is genuinely an insider or not i can't say for definite either way, but i haven't saw anything myself to show that they absolutely were, so i wouldn't be taking their "revelations" as gospal myself, even though i agree there are issues with rte.

True, anyone can set up a fake Twitter and write what they like. The thing about Secret Producer though is that what they wrote rang true for many, and as someone in the PS I can see similarities where I am. If they were fake they were a great fiction writer.
    Also, with all they claims they made about crazy practices of cameramen and 6 figure stage hand salaries - RTE never denied it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Talk of closing the studio in the real capital boy. Which if it happens would mean RTE does not have anywhere in Cork yet Newstalk will continue to. Which is interesting.

Talk of closing the studio in the real capital boy. Which if it happens would mean RTE does not have anywhere in Cork yet Newstalk will continue to. Which is interesting.

Where is the Cork studio? Is it big? will it really bring in big cash?

True, anyone can set up a fake Twitter and write what they like. The thing about Secret Producer though is that what they wrote rang true for many, and as someone in the PS I can see similarities where I am. If they were fake they were a great fiction writer.

to be fair, there was probably a lot of confirmation bias there. people believe all sorts about rte, and someone confirming what people believe gives that belief credibility.
    i'm sure there are practices happening in rte that are strange to me and you and others, but there will be some practices we would find as such in every organisation to an extent.
    Also, with all they claims they made about crazy practices of cameramen and 6 figure stage hand salaries - RTE never denied it.

i feel they should have denied them as well. however i understand if they felt that by denying it, they may potentially draw more attention to the claims, and possibly give them definite credibility, hence feeling it would be better to just let it blow over.
    realistically, how many people taking the claims as definite fact, would have believed rte had they denied them?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

1:10pm on a Sunday afternoon.

“Now in case you missed last weeks episode, here it is again”

Room to Improve.

RTÉ are trolling us now at this stage..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

imos-1-767x1024.jpg

Have they ever actually broadcast from the Cork studios? Its seems all of their broadcasts are out of Dublin.

M

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Have they ever actually broadcast from the Cork studios? Its seems all of their broadcasts are out of Dublin.

Today with Maura and Daithi is broadcast from Cork, not sure what else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Back in the day we had Cork Local Radio broadcast from these studios. Alf McCarthy Stevie Bolger and a host of others on for 6 hrs a day 5 days a week.

Advertisement