Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Where is the Cork studio? Is it big? will it really bring in big cash?

Fairly substantial city centre building.
    Pin money as far as RTE is concerned though.

16 Father Mathew Quay
    https://www.google.com/maps/@51.895466,-8.470569,3a,90.0y,52.587234h,110.08497t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sJ0Hmt11Dh4qCoaAelRXGfA!2e0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Cork was the home of Harbour Hotel (long defunct radio soap), they also did a regular between 12 and 1 if I recall plus various other bits and pieces esp at the weekend - they'll have to keep a comms booth running for the Southern correspondent.

They also had their own local programmes.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2015/1214/753462-new-rte-cork-studios/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Nationwide is the only other programme produced regularly out of RTÉ Cork as of today. I wonder what will happen to it when the closure at Fr Matthew Street happens for real. It might move to Dublin to keep the old folks happy when they see it on their TV's at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Doblin

Check out the disgusting amount of money the top RTE "talent" were earning in the dying days of the Celtic tiger https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/entertainment/kenny-top-earner-at-rte-429597.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

Doesn't John Creedon broadcast from there too? Sh*te, he's one of the few worth his salt in RTÉ. :mad:

• Advertisement

5 years ago when RTE wanted to close longwave, every village idiot politician came out calling it an attack on the elderly and RTE quickly backed down. It's going to be very challenging for RTE to implement any cuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Doblin wrote: »
    Check out the disgusting amount of money the top RTE "talent" were earning in the dying days of the Celtic tiger https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/entertainment/kenny-top-earner-at-rte-429597.html

If you gave them the money they wouldnt invest in new programs, they would invest in the useless "Talent" they have now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

• Registered Users Posts: 17,255 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

He said that RTÉ’s argument is that its top stars are important for the broadcaster in winning its audience share.

They have to test that proposition,” the minister added.

Like that bit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

5 years ago when RTE wanted to close longwave, every village idiot politician came out calling it an attack on the elderly and RTE quickly backed down. It's going to be very challenging for RTE to implement any cuts.

How old would your radio need to be to pick up longwave? I'm not sure I've ever owned one, even one I got in 1985.

• Advertisement

McGaggs wrote: »
    How old would your radio need to be to pick up longwave? I'm not sure I've ever owned one, even one I got in 1985.

No need to make stuff up now

My current radio has LW and I bought it precisely for the option of being able to listen to BBC radio 4 and RTE radio 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

Pat Kenny and Gerry Ryan especially earned outrageous money then. Neither deserved it. Nice work if you can get it. Not speaking ill of the dead but Ryan seemed to dwell almost entirely on smutty remarks. People in the pub can give you that and they will do it for free!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭facehugger99

My current radio has LW and I bought it precisely for the option of being able to listen to BBC radio 4 and RTE radio 1.

Apparently you can get radios that connect to the internet these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

washiskin wrote: »
    Doesn't John Creedon broadcast from there too? Sh*te, he's one of the few worth his salt in RTÉ. :mad:

Hmmmm.......how much taxpayers salt, Skinner?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

McGaggs wrote: »

My 2015 car has LW on the radio.

It really is a disgrace how terrible the new RTE player is. Didn't they spend a good chunk of the first land sale on it? Why is it so bad? Why can't one so much as watch the lotto on it without it crashing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭satguy

The RTE player is a dead loss, they have wasted millions on it, and it's still rubbish.

The guy they hired to fix was more than likely a son of some RTE big wig, most likely did not even have to do an interview.

There a lads running pirate sites from their spare room at home, that are streaming full HD video.
    RTE a have a huge budget, and their streaming is still rubbish.

We need to ask our politicians to put an end to this farce .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

It really is a disgrace how terrible the new RTE player is. Didn't they spend a good chunk of the first land sale on it? Why is it so bad? Why can't one so much as watch the lotto on it without it crashing?

Because they Grey Brigade (those over 55 or so) dont use it regularly/at all, and since they are RTEs prime demographic, I dont foresee the player getting any better anytime soon.

Apparently you can get radios that connect to the internet these days.

I had one of the original internet radios years ago. Don't tell me how to listen to radio kid! :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Because they Grey Brigade (those over 55 or so) dont use it regularly/at all, and since they are RTEs prime demographic, I dont foresee the player getting any better anytime soon.

Just an FYI the Grey Brigade (those over 55 or so) were Punks and skin heads and soccer hooligans and crusties and had to type out code to get a really ****ty game going on the computer hooked up to the telly ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭facehugger99

satguy wrote: »
    The RTE player is a dead loss, they have wasted millions on it, and it's still rubbish.

The guy they hired to fix was more than likely a son of some RTE big wig, most likely did not even have to do an interview.

There a lads running pirate sites from their spare room at home, that are streaming full HD video.
    RTE a have a huge budget, and their streaming is still rubbish.

We need to ask our politicians to put an end to this farce .

I've said it before, but anytime I've tried to watch a sporting evening on the RTE player I give up on it - it's terrible, from the 2 minutes of ads they make you watch at the start to the quality of the picture and the constant buffering. I have 220MB fiber broadband so the problem isn't at my end.

The illegal website I use to watch my Premiership matches has HD quality picture, never buffers and is probably run by one stoned guy from his parent's basement. It also costs a fraction of the annual tv license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭begsbyOnaTrain

satguy wrote: »

I live abroad. Naturally I tried to stream the All Irelands this year. I have NordVPN so thought it'd be a breeze, I mean it literally works with everything else right?

Nope. I tried all the available Irish based servers and RTE player would not let me have access. I did a search and apparently this is known, they've spent top dollar on blocking VPNs. So it does at least one thing well...

I live abroad. Naturally I tried to stream the All Irelands this year. I have NordVPN so thought it'd be a breeze, I mean it literally works with everything else right?

Nope. I tried all the available Irish based servers and RTE player would not let me have access. I did a search and apparently this is known, they've spent top dollar on blocking VPNs. So it does at least one thing well...

Yep, they got some wizz kid to come in to set it up so that people with a VPN or an Adblocker can't watch.

They think this was money well spent, it's just a shame that the player is rubbish and unusable at the best of times.

I also note that some of the ads are HD quality, but only the ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Don't understand why they would block it, particularly for the all Ireland, they've spent so much keeping long wave going.

I know the BBC does and they ape everything they do,but surely the more viewers the better for a service that carries advertising. Not to mention the public service aspect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭begsbyOnaTrain

kneemos wrote: »
    Don't understand why they would block it, particularly for the all Ireland, they've spent so much keeping long wave going.

I know the BBC does and they ape everything they do,but surely the more viewers the better for a service that carries advertising. Not to mention the public service aspect.

The blocking message says it's due to "Rights Restrictions" so i guess it's because Sky have the All Ireland final too.

Still at least they have no block on Fair City... *cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

One thing I've always noticed about RTE Player is that the ads will always stream perfectly,even when programme itself repeatedly crashes and has to be reloaded,the ads will come on again without a glitch,incredible coincidence.

Useless feckers, I am in Germany for weekend and wanted to watch the rugby

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

RTE block content for viewers in the North too. They really hate that especially sport thats blocked.

• Advertisement

If I was made King of the world tomorrow, I would sack everyone at RTE, they would get 2½ weeks pay for every year of service.

Those on so called "contracts" would get nothing.

And they could all seek employment based on their skills on the open market. I would say most would starve !!

Advertisement