Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

They do ok..... it’s just costing way way too much.

Simple as.......

They do ok? Really? Because I don't see it.

If cost were reduced for what they produce that would be fine but then I would expect more. Which means that they are not doing ok at all. I would think. Right?

You do wonder is there any originality or new blood allowed in the organisation, their latest idea for a documentary is on letters people wrote to Gay Byrne over the years...

https://www.rte.ie/culture/2021/0112/1189150-dear-gay-new-documentary-wants-your-gaybo-story/

I enjoyed The Way We Were but....

Nothing about the either the 90s or the 00s. E.g. Supermarkets didn't sell alcohol expect in an off license to the side of the supermarket, this only changed in 2000 and it looks like we are returning to this system.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

You do wonder is there any originality or new blood allowed in the organisation, their latest idea for a documentary is on letters people wrote to Gay Byrne over the years...

https://www.rte.ie/culture/2021/0112/1189150-dear-gay-new-documentary-wants-your-gaybo-story/

I'd say if you mention 'new blood' to a member of RTE, they'd say 'ah, but Des in accounting had to get a transfusion during his gallstones operation'...

This is a broadcaster that thinks 'Pulling with my Parents' is quality television. Expecting an IFta any day now, for that.

Also... 'Nostalgia'... the Cheapest form of television, but RTe are obsessed with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,095 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Elmo wrote: »

Nothing about the either the 90s or the 00s. E.g. Supermarkets didn't sell alcohol expect in an off license to the side of the supermarket, this only changed in 2000 and it looks like we are returning to this system.

Yep, poor Pat can’t chug a few cans of Lomza out the back in the recliner.

Has to go to the beeeeuuwzer and listen to potbellied kernts roaring at Liverrrpewell on de boxx.

Not for the Brenner...... at €6.50 a pot..... feeukk dat horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Elmo wrote: »

Too many talking heads on that, Duffy, dr Ava and many more, most of em too young for their comments to carry any weight, why didn't they just let the lovely old footage with a narrator do the talking without need for it to be interperated for us by these assembled rte heads.. Btw do they all recieve a fee for their contributions I wonder

• Advertisement

Too many talking heads on that, Duffy, dr Ava and many more, most of em too young for their comments to carry any weight, why didn't they just let the lovely old footage with a narrator do the talking without need for it to be interperated for us by these assembled rte heads.. Btw do they all recieve a fee for their contributions I wonder

Dr Ava?

Thought she was DEE-LIGHTED to leave Ireland. Had a whole program about it and everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,274 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

So they saved a measly 2 million and employed more people whilst repeating ad nauseum their years old content

Not exactly cost cutting is it

And those player figures are a joke - take away the people who couldn't get past the ads or were able to watch more than a minute and it was probably used by 12 people

7.2m loss

Anyone know if Radio Advertising in general saw an increase, TV advertising saw a 1% increase from 2018, AFAIK. RTÉ saw a 2m decrease, with commercial revenue down 3m overall.

They have changed their divisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Based on the Annual Report for 2019, didn't the license fee revenue for RTE increase?
    And they still came back with a loss of over €7,000,000.
    Which equates (for most of us) that the more money we give to RTE, the more they waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I'm not sure if it's been posted yet, but they are making another gangland show, hoping that it will be another Love/Hate in regard to success. It's being directed by the director of Red Rock, so I'm not very hopeful.

New RTE drama inspired by Kinahan mob set to be 'new Love/Hate

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

TomTomTim wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it's been posted yet, but they are making another gangland show, hoping that it will be another Love/Hate in regard to success. It's being directed by the director of Red Rock, so I'm not very hopeful.

Duffy'll lose the rag entirely when that one debuts

TomTomTim wrote: »

It'll get injected with 'Woke' politics, no doubt. Notice how 'Taken Down' focused more on pushing an agenda than telling an intriguing detective story with a realistic backdrop.

Instead, the 'crime' took a backseat to the agenda pushing.

This one I feel will absolutely be pushing the agenda button too.

Just about the way we were

So this show could have been produced in 2004 and it would have largely been the same talking heads.

and Fiona Looney's Lipstick WTF.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭franciscanpunk

In a new house so no regular TV package, just have a smart Tv so everything just done via chromecast, now tv, netflix etc. RTE player is just frustration beyond belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭franciscanpunk

fritzelly wrote: »
    So they saved a measly 2 million and employed more people whilst repeating ad nauseum their years old content

Not exactly cost cutting is it

And those player figures are a joke - take away the people who couldn't get past the ads or were able to watch more than a minute and it was probably used by 12 people

Couldnt believe how well adverts work though given everything else is just a disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 14,039 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Wanted to watch the Moya Brennan documentary so threw on the TG4 player this morning, and not a problem with it - loads quickly, no ads, seamless streaming.
    How can a company under the same umbrella and effectively run out of a shed outside Galway get it right, and the bloated d4 behemoth get it so wrong with the multitude more resources behind it??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭bigroad

It just goes how many unqualified wasters are pretending to work in the place.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

retalivity wrote: »
    How can a company under the same umbrella and effectively run out of a shed outside Galway get it right, and the bloated d4 behemoth get it so wrong with the multitude more resources behind it??

Probably helps that RTE have no say in their operation.

Long may it remain independent from RTÉ, I worry sometimes when I see TG4 ads on RTÉ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

It's their culture ............ boss :pac:
    But seriously though, it is a cultural issue at RTE. There needs to be root and branch changes at RTE in order for this infectious (in a bad way) culture to be removed. And the RTE Player is just one big middle finger to the television license taxee.

• Advertisement

Kivaro wrote: »
    But seriously though, it is a cultural issue at RTE. There needs to be root and branch changes at RTE in order for this infectious (in a bad way) culture to be removed. And the RTE Player is just one big middle finger to the television license taxee.

I think it is strange that no one in RTÉ sees the problem with this institutionalize culture.

There is no hope of change if a largely new Executive board of directors (many never worked in RTÉ before) are happy to carry on.

Did no one in RTÉ point out that this culture means: -

News and Daytime TV goes on a summer break
    No morning show
    No morning news
    No Late Night news
    etc

And while RTÉ can say that many of the above are arbitrary into todays media landscape, they can only just say it in the last 5 years.

It's funny how many of the 'classic' RTE shows that people still talk about to this day had zero influence from RTE.

There was no need-RTE had prime time tv shows, the Late Late and so on. They made so much money, they didn't care about what the likes of The Den were doing. No interference allowed many shows to walk a razor thin edge of what they could do on tv.

Things are vastly different now tho.

Fast forward, and RTE are terrified of upsetting anyone and thus potentially losing money via advertisers, sponsors or tv licenses.

Terrified.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Wanted to watch the Moya Brennan documentary so threw on the TG4 player this morning, and not a problem with it - loads quickly, no ads, seamless streaming.

Probably just more competent developers at/outsourced by TG4. Or they view the player as a core part of their service; what is TG4s rate for showing repeats throughout the week? Is a player service more necessary to them, so they invested more/actually listened to viewer feedback?

Honestly I think RTE just view the RTE Player as an excuse to crowbar this Broadcast Charge in and mint more money off "....its de law!!!" (and I doubt Im the only one thinking this). Because weve seen that when they get more money, the shows dont increase in quality or new blood gets hired in....just more good money after bad to their existing "stars".

There was no need-RTE had prime time tv shows, the Late Late and so on. They made so much money, they didn't care about what the likes of The Den were doing. No interference allowed many shows to walk a razor thin edge of what they could do on tv.

I understand that in the late 1980s and early 1990s that advertising was cap to the licence fee at RTÉ, so RTÉ couldn't earn more in advertising than from the licence fee, this was to help new independent broadcasters (actually helped UTV more).

So for RTÉ at the time it would have been pointless extending out its hours on the air as they'd not earn any more money.

Ireland AM was added to TV3 purely to increase its hours on the air so that they could sell more advertising.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Flicking through last night, and I saw that some random repeat was on RTÉ, and guessed it was because the other 'big' show was on Virgin or something... low and behold they are showing the ice skating show, so RTÉ just accept defeat and show a random repeat of something, knowing no one will be watching..... I'd say the vast majority pf people aren't going to be watching the ice skating... so why not put a film on?

Sunday night, 7pm, show a bloody movie, a comedy or family film, anything!!!!!! a classic from the 80's or 90's.... Show Back to the Future or something. (would probably get more viewers than the dancing anyway!!!).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Flicking through last night, and I saw that some random repeat was on RTÉ, and guessed it was because the other 'big' show was on Virgin or something... low and behold they are showing the ice skating show, so RTÉ just accept defeat and show a random repeat of something, knowing no one will be watching..... I'd say the vast majority pf people aren't going to be watching the ice skating... so why not put a film on?

Sunday night, 7pm, show a bloody movie, a comedy or family film, anything!!!!!! a classic from the 80's or 90's.... Show Back to the Future or something. (would probably get more viewers than the dancing anyway!!!).

Probably because:

A) they would have to pay money to the distributors for the film vs paying nothing to show their own stuff

B) if it was a repeat of an RTE show, then the hosts probably got an "appearance fee" for being shown on TV again...and we all know all RTE higher ups care about is pouring as much taxpayer money into the pockets of their "stars" as possible

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Probably because:

A) they would have to pay money to the distributors for the film vs paying nothing to show their own stuff

B) if it was a repeat of an RTE show, then the hosts probably got an "appearance fee" for being shown on TV again...and we all know all RTE higher ups care about is pouring as much taxpayer money into the pockets of their "stars" as possible

Does B cancel A?

Also does Ireland's Fittest Family air on Sunday nights. It would be the normally be DWTS but they can't meet with An Taoiseach at the final this year, perhaps Micheal might head to the final of Fittest Family Dee can sit awkwardly beside him.

DWTS-Final-23th-March-2019-_151-copy-696x503.jpg?mrf-size=m

Forgive my ignorance, not having a go at anyone, but with all the people giving out about rte(me included) and their programmes and how it is run, why are so many still actually watching it?.

I have not tuned in to it in years, surely by not even switching to the stations the numbers will show up as a huge drop off, and that can only be good, can't it?

jaysus just reading through this thread is making me angry and I don't even look at it anymore. Just turn them (rte) off.

Who says they are watching it in their homes. It may be there on the TV when they visit friends and family. That is how I occassionally see it not that I have any interest in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Forgive my ignorance, not having a go at anyone, but with all the people giving out about rte(me included) and their programmes and how it is run, why are so many still actually watching it?.

I have not tuned in to it in years, surely by not even switching to the stations the numbers will show up as a huge drop off, and that can only be good, can't it?

jaysus just reading through this thread is making me angry and I don't even look at it anymore. Just turn them (rte) off.

TBH, if it wasn't for the Mrs, I'd probably never switch over to saorview. She would always like to check the Guestlist on the late late ( before deciding it's not worth watching) and the weekend kids movie. The in-laws would watch a fair bit of rte, so I'd see a lot of stuff there.

As for the viewing numbers, 2ho knows how they're calculated. Switching off probably doesn't register. If its anything like radio, it's probably based on a survey of 1000 people nationwide.

Advertisement