Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Sceptics thread.

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Bob24 wrote: »
    ... but yeah if the alternative was as simple as bolivar or bitcoin I’d go all in with bitcoin!
    That's often the situation - well, if they're lucky, they might be able to find a crypto solution. In those circumstances. I'd certainly go all in - if that was the only other option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,190 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Hmm...I'll leave the two of you to thrash it out. However, one point I would make is that whilst neither is optimal, there are a fair few people in countries affected that would have been well happy if someone had introduced them to bitcoin, etc. - as it may well have saved their life savings.

Indeed but it's worth bearing in mind that BTC lost 70% of it's value, there are plenty of other less risky assets; gold, bluechip shares, US dollars, bonds, etc. Yes I am aware of accessibility - but we are talking developing and third world countries here

People are falling into the trap of taking the worst example of an imploding economy (Venezuela) and saying "hey, well at least it's not as bad as that". That's really not a good sale for BTC when that's the standard if you know what I mean. It's a bit like a holiday brochure boasting that their camp sites are better than Chernobyl

I'm on the crypto side here, and I agree with a lot of the defense made of crypto (some is excellent, including use cases) but it is literally about the dodgiest asset you could have in a portfolio of everything else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

That's often the situation - well, if they're lucky, they might be able to find a crypto solution. In those circumstances. I'd certainly go all in - if that was the only other option.

I’m not sure what type of capital control measures are in place, but I’d say if someone there has a way to transfer their bolivars to an exchange to buy bitcoins, they can probably use the same method to buy dollars, euros, gold, stocks, etc. And even assuming that for some reason that method only worked to buy bitcoins, once they have bitcoins there is nothing preventing them from immediately selling those for euros or dollars.
    So it’s unlikely that for anyone the only alternative is bolivar or cryptcurrency.

@both: It boils down to a question of accessibility. If they have other options, then that's different. In terms of doggiest asset, sure it's high risk but I don't think it's irresponsible to suggest having 5-10% of portfolio in crypto. It should act as a good hedge against a conventional market fall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Indeed but it's worth bearing in mind that BTC lost 70% of it's value, there are plenty of other less risky assets; gold, bluechip shares, US dollars, bonds, etc. Yes I am aware of accessibility - but we are talking developing and third world countries here

To be fair it lost 70% of its all time high which was down to a freak influx of people with FOMO and trying to get rich quick

sexmag wrote: »
    To be fair it lost 70% of its all time high which was down to a freak influx of people with FOMO and trying to get rich quick

Oh yeah I agree, but it's never a "safe" bet in terms of value, it's always a super high risk investment

"Don't put in more than you can afford to lose" is crypto mantra for a reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

@both: It boils down to a question of accessibility. If they have other options, then that's different. In terms of doggiest asset, sure it's high risk but I don't think it's irresponsible to suggest having 5-10% of portfolio in crypto. It should act as a good hedge against a conventional market fall.

In terms of accessibility, I guess what I’m saying is that if someone is stuck with an hyperinflating currency and capital control measures, their problem is not really to find an easily accessible asset but rather to simply gain access to their funds in the first place regardless of what they want to use them for. If they can overcome that problem, crypto is probably not significantly more accessible to them than other asset classes (yes we see an increase of activity from these countries on crypto platforms, but it is not massive either and I would bet the same or larger surges are visible on forex platforms and so on). So crypto is just one escape path amongst others and in my view there is nothing unique about it in this type of scenario which would make it stand out as the only option.

And yeah as long as people see it as a high risk and potentially high reward asset, it’s not crazy to hold a bit of it in a portfolio. The proof will have to be in the pudding but I indeed see a possibility (not garanteed) of a crypto currency playing some type of safe heaven role next time we have a large scale financial crisis. It really is too early to make a call though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Once again, you are not heeding the primary reason that I used those examples - see my previous post.
    I get that new tech and it's uses can explode in unforeseen ways. My only point is that email was very quickly an obvious game changer that would change human communication. I guess you were comparing, rather than equating.
    Once again, you are not heeding the primary reason that I used those examples - see my previous post. Also, bear in mind that Finance and Tech are major deals that impact every person on the planet.

Who said it would be restricted to 'the background'?

I don't buy that backend technologies don't touch the lives of average people. It remains to be seen - as it depends on what applications emerge through to real world use. As regards whats tangible in terms of the ordinary persons experience, what if they actually are the bank - how is that not fundamental?
    The best technology is invisible to the user. If Blockchain is going to be the best it's going to have to do it by providing the near seamless banking experience we have for most transactions.

People being the bank is an interesting concept, though. I'd be interested to know how that might work. :)

Dades wrote: »

The best technology is invisible to the user. If Blockchain is going to be the best it's going to have to do it by providing the near seamless banking experience we have for most transactions.

BC, smart contracts and DL tech are going to have a significant impact on banking.. but the impact will be mainly internal - streamlining, cost-cutting, process efficiency and so on. Think of it as speeding up the backend. Most major banks, financial institutions, FMI and exchanges are either developing their own BC and related tech projects, working/partnering with cryptos or both

Obviously not all of it is going to conform to a crypto purist view or decentralisation fundamentalists, but the financial industry wouldn't be investing so much time/money if they didn't already see the raw benefits the tech promises

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

If Blockchain is going to be the best it's going to have to do it by providing the near seamless banking experience we have for most transactions.

I'd dispute that near seamless assertion. The bulk of my clients are outside of Ireland and we see a lot of wasted time having to go through the CHAPS versus BACS conversation, not to mention the cost of these systems. We still regularly get cheques where people can't get their head around international transfers.

• Advertisement

smacl wrote: »
    I'd dispute that near seamless assertion. The bulk of my clients are outside of Ireland and we see a lot of wasted time having to go through the CHAPS versus BACS conversation, not to mention the cost of these systems. We still regularly get cheques where people can't get their head around international transfers.
    I clarified a bit earlier I meant seamless for consumers. For sure, third party and one off international payments have a way to go.

I get that new tech and it's uses can explode in unforeseen ways. My only point is that email was very quickly an obvious game changer that would change human communication. I guess you were comparing, rather than equating.
    The implications of blockchain/DLT are massive - so we'll have to see.
    It's correct to say that the aim of my point was to demonstrate that tech takes time to mature. As regards equating, we will have to see - it's too early to say.
    Without a shadow of a doubt - there's a shed load of work to do yet.
    People being the bank is an interesting concept, though. I'd be interested to know how that might work. :)

Ok, well if you were to transfer money digitally right now, how would you do it? It would involve a central authority, right? For all intents and purposes a bank or financial services agent (same deal).

Someone holds your funds....but there is ONE exception....

Ok, well if you were to transfer money digitally right now, how would you do it? It would involve a central authority, right? For all intents and purposes a bank or financial services agent (same deal).

Someone holds your funds....but there is ONE exception....
    I can see the benefits for person to person transactions, where the blockchain acts as a type of 'current account'.

The question for me is whether people would be willing to let their entire wealth sit on the blockchain, rather than on the servers of a bank, possibly backed by gold or guaranteed by a government.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

The question for me is whether people would be willing to let their entire wealth sit on the blockchain, rather than on the servers of a bank, possibly backed by gold or guaranteed by a government.

At a guess, most people initially wouldn't, and you'd have something like one or more blockchain versions of PayPal in the short term being used as a payment gateway. If this worked and proved secure, convenient and cost-effective over time, no doubt trust would be built and people would use it more as a place to store wealth.

Where I'd see the bigger problem is how governments could levy taxes in this scenario. While I'm all for independence from the large private financial institutions, we still need to work within the rule of law. Similarly, we need to consider the balance between privacy, and the reasonable need to track wealth by organisations such as CAB. Having worked in the UAE in the past, I'm not convinced that a tax free society is a Utopia.

Volatility has to be taken out of the picture - and should be over time. However, whilst its a excellent scenario to be in full control of your own funds, it comes with serious responsibility. It's likely to take a long time for people to get comfy with this. Additionally, there will need to be some innovation to make that process easier or more intuitive.
    That said, if volatility is no longer an issue, then you can be sure a hell of a lot of people will be motivated to do so whenever there are financial stability concerns eg. when everyone in IRL was looking to put their savings in a euro account in another euro country a couple of years ago (in fear of accounts here taking a haircut). Anything 'backed' by a government is subject to change at their whim. May not be a problem for some of us that often - but it does the rounds.
    smacl wrote: »
    Where I'd see the bigger problem is how governments could levy taxes in this scenario. While I'm all for independence from the large private financial institutions, we still need to work within the rule of law. Similarly, we need to consider the balance between privacy, and the reasonable need to track wealth by organisations such as CAB. Having worked in the UAE in the past, I'm not convinced that a tax free society is a Utopia.
    It may be that - over time of course - we may start to move to updated tax collection methods. DLT can also facilitate point of use tax take for things in a way that's not currently viable. Whether that will go far enough, I'm unsure as I think it will be possible for people to hive away funds that are unknown to tax authorities...

Advertisement