Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8th amendment referendum part 3 - Mod note and FAQ in post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 HonestKevin

The option which is actually on the table says you can abort ALL unborn "babies" without restriction up to 12 weeks, and there is no special exception made for rape.

It's as if you are criticising a completely different change to the 8th, maybe the one the pro-life people were preparing to fight instead of the one which is actually on the table.

Thats diverting things. We have been specifically told over the last 24 months that we need to bring in abortion in order to deal with cases of rape or incest. What this is saying is that there are two classes of unborn children - "respectable" unborn babies and "unrespectable" unborn babies.

"These" babies were (and are) being used as an excuse to bring in abortion for everyone. People in this country who were conceived as a result of rape or incest have been made to feel like second class citizens over the last 24 months. The pro-repeal side have basically been saying there is something "wrong" with them. They are not "respectable".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

That's what this whole campaign has been about. If a child was conceived as a result of rape or incest they are deemed by the pro-repeal campaign as less valuable. These babies are not "respectable". We are once again saying that in Ireland there are "respectable" unborn born babies and unborn babies that are not "respectable".

Whatever one wants to say about the no side, at least they are taking the position that ALL unborn babies are respectable. The 8th says that all unborn babies should be treated equally (given the right to life). The pro-repeal side are saying that some unborn babies are not "respectable" and need to be got rid of. Its like 1950's Ireland all over again. It would be nice as a country if we could stop judging unborn babies based on how they were conceived.

You'll find that Pro Choice people don't particularly distinguish on how a child is conceived. We're not the ones demanding restrictions except in certain cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,792 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Thats diverting things. We have been specifically told over the last 24 months that we need to bring in abortion in order to deal with cases of rape or incest. What this is saying is that there are two classes of unborn children - "respectable" unborn babies and "unrespectable" unborn babies.

"These" babies were (and are) being used as an excuse to bring in abortion for everyone. People in this country who were conceived as a result of rape or incest have been made to feel like second class citizens over the last 24 months. The pro-repeal side have basically been saying there is something "wrong" with them. They are not "respectable".
    LMAO

Gives out about "diverting".
    Spends rest of post diverting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Ammm a baby can be conceived through incest and not be a rape. That's why a distinction has been been between the two. When pro-repeal people bring these cases up they say "cases of rape AND incest". Otherwise they should just be saying cases of "rape". Its the pro-repeal side that makes the distinction between the two. They are saying incest babies are not "respectable" and we should have abortion in this country in order to get rid of them.

You are a liar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

No, no, no. We are saying that their mothers should have a CHOICE.
    Not some "final solution" type scenario that you are implying.

I think you are deliberately misrepresenting the Yes side to muddy the waters.
    Unless you can provide a link to PROVE that people are in fact saying and advocating these things, you have no evidence.

And please stop making assumptions about this notion of "respectable" or "not respectable". You are the one being offensive here.
    No one else is making these claims but you. You are telling lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

We have been specifically told over the last 24 months that we need to bring in abortion in order to deal with cases of rape or incest.

You will be delighted to learn that neither the new text in the Constitution nor the new law will make any exceptions or even mention rape and incest.

You win!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭optogirl

go easy on the quotation marks will you please - they mean absolutely nothing in this context.

Your reading of rape & incest as examples of where the 8th is compounding the misery of victims is bizarre.

Once again Kevin, and I think I may be the 8th or 9th person to point this out to you - the pro-repeal side are concerned with the welfare of the pregnant person who is the victim of the rape or incest and are NOT labelling the foetus as respectable or unrespectable. Nor are they advocating abortion in these cases. They are advocating the right of the victim to make that decision themselves.

You are a liar.

Why else have cases of incest been brought up by the pro-repeal side for the last 24 months. If two consenting adults have incest, why is it ok to abort their unborn baby?

It's because this baby is not "respectable" in the eyes of pro-repeal people. This whole debate is regressive not progressive. We are once again judging unborn children based on how they were conceived.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Why else have cases of incest been brought up by the pro-repeal side for the last 24 months. If two consenting adults have incest, why is it ok to abort their unborn baby?

Asked, answered and ignored by you.
    It's because this baby is not "respectable" in the eyes of pro-repeal people. This whole debate is regressive not progressive. We are once again judging unborn children based on how they were conceived.

Again, you are a liar.

• Advertisement

if the two consenting adults decide to abort it. That is the only scenario in which it is OK. Removing the 8th will not give anyone the right to force somebody to have an abortion.

also 'have incest' - what?

optogirl wrote: »
    Your reading of rape & incest as examples of where the 8th is compounding the misery of victims is bizarre.

So children who were conceived as a result of rape or incest are "victims".

There is something "different" about them in the eyes of pro-repealers. Need i say more?

If two consenting adults have incest, why is it ok to abort their unborn baby?

Because it is OK to abort any unborn "baby" up to 12 weeks. No exceptions for rape or incest, just the way you want it.

Need i say more?

No, definitely not.

So children who were conceived as a result of rape or incest are "victims".

There is something "different" about them in the eyes of pro-repealers. Need i say more?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. The person pregnant as a result of rape is a victim. I had a more lucid conversation about this referendum with my 6 year old (thanks to the manky posters outside his school).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

You are a liar.

Are you arguing that babies conceived of rape should be carried to term?

Because as a Yes voter I would think the woman should be given the choice to have the baby or not, as is their wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 aubz

david75 wrote: »
    There is no cultural or statistical comparison or relevance between Ireland and China.

It’s so totally laughable that you’re using that as an argument.

Yes but if the fertility rate drops below replacement there will be a greater need for immigrants. It's likely that there could be some many that the Irish population is overtaken and your culture will no longer exist. There are entire minority-majority cities in Canada and Australia. When the population reaches 70% Chinese they will no longer assimilate.

zedhead wrote: »
    Incest and rape are mentioned as they are situations where the women have not chosen the situation they are in. The prorepeal would advocate giving them what control they can have back of their bodies and pregnancies and give them the CHOICE as to if they would like to proceed with the pregnancy.

It has nothing to do with the perceived value of one foetus over another.

Ammm a baby can be conceived through incest and not be a rape. That's why a distinction has been been between the two. When pro-repeal people bring these cases up they say "cases of rape AND incest". Otherwise they should just be saying cases of "rape". Its the pro-repeal side that makes the distinction between the two. They are saying incest babies are not "respectable" and we should have abortion in this country in order to get rid of them.

The only person talking about babies conceived through incest being not respectable is you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Absolute nonsense, Kevin. What it is saying is that a woman who has been FORCED I told sex against her will should then not be FORCED to proceed with a pregnancy if she does not want to.

Do you want to force women who have been raped to have their rapist’s baby if they don’t want to do that? Do you think that that would add further trauma to an already horrific experience?

• Advertisement

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. The person pregnant as a result of rape is a victim. I had a more lucid conversation about this referendum with my 6 year old (thanks to the manky posters outside his school).

I said people who were conceived as a result of rape or incest have been made to feel like second class citizens in this country over the last 24 months. You agreed, but went one step further and labelled these people as "victims":

I never gave any examples of "where the 8th is compounding the misery of victims". Its clear we were talking about the same thing and now you are trying to cover your back. You clearly called children who were conceived as a result of rape or incest as "victims".

Putting labels on unborn children based on how they were conceived is something Ireland did in the 1950's. It would be nice if we could stop labeling children before they even come out of the womb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Finally a few YES posters gone up in rural villages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Awww cool is that a thing now :) That's nice. Also nice that you have decided to talk about me rather than with me as the thread has gone on. Because that is always a mature and polite move to make isn't it?

This is my first post on this thread. I've read about 1% of it in total. It just seems to me that you have bandied a particular argument around that is catching. I sought to address that.

Medical facts give you the data required to make that decision though. Science and morality and ethics are not as separable as people make them out to be. After all morality and ethics is in the business of valuing the results of our actions. While science is in the business of telling us what the results of our actions are. Therefore one has to inform the other.

We seem to be in agreement here. Not sure if you're objecting to anything. My point seems to stand. I argued that the original poster had used certain information to make a value judgement about the unborn and I even said that was fine. I was just pointing out that it was their judgement and not some sort of self-evident truism as the language ("a foetus of less that 12 weeks cannot be considered as valuable as the life of an actual born person") seems to imply.

What rights have we NOT to? The very concept of valuing anything lies in sentience. Without it the universe would not only have nothing to do the valuing, but no concept of what value even is. If it is not us deciding what to value, then what the hell can? Unless you want to go the route of inventing a god, without any substantiation as so many have done in the past, then the process of value and valuation starts and ends with us.

I don't believe we have a right to value one form of human life over another nor do I think we have the capability quite frankly. The basis of devaluing the life of the unborn is to appeal to its lack of x,y, or z. I think that is a flawed and morally wrong approach to the issue. A foetus might need to be aborted for many reasons, none of which require this kind of sophistry.
    Perhaps, you feel comfortable making these kinds of value judgements on human life. I do not.

I did not describe it as a blue print. I suggested an analogy between the two. The great thing about analogies, which you may not have noted, is that they do not have to map two things together 1:1 and many differences can exist between them and the analogy can still hold.

The point of the analogy was merely to make explicit the difference between a human being, and the process that produces that human being. And affording the latter the rights and concerns we afford the former is a judgement error.

Yes I understand the concept. Analogies have to be sufficiently similar to merit the analogy. My point is that your analogy is not sufficiently similar with the prominent differences outweighing the similarity you are pointing out. You're saying it's not a human, it's a plan for a human. I'm saying it's not a plan for a human, it's a proto-human. A blueprint is not a proto-house. Hence, your analogy is poor.

Firstly I do not think that it is that unique or remarkable really.

I don't think self-building blueprints exist so yes, if one did exist, it would be quite unique and indeed remarkable.

ALL life appears to do it pretty much. Which makes it far from unique. Yet somehow it only confers values in your mind in the case of humans? The common house fly does it too, yet somehow it is not conferring the house fly with the same level of relevance or value in the minds of the masses. I think we both know why.

Ah you're not talking about self-building blueprints anymore, you're talking about self-replicating life. I think it's quite remarkable in all lifeforms actually. And is unique to life itself. But we're not talking about repealing an amendment on animal or insect abortion rights so I'm not sure there's much point going into it. As a human species we value human life above other life. That's fine. My point is not as to appropriateness of that but that appropriateness of valuing one human life over another. That is unjust in my opinion and I don't believe I, or anyone else, is in a position to do it (at least not in a manner that should be enshrined in law - it may be necessary and practical to make an urgent judgement in emergency situations which indeed is what a woman may have to do when pregnant)
    Secondly however you are value projecting when you say I am using it as an argument to "lessen the value of something". What I mean by that is you are taking something which is valuable (I think the process by which life produces itself by such processes is very wonderful, valuable, precious and amazing) and placing that value on the wrong location. The value of that process is on life as a whole. I do not think it lends value to any one individual in that set however.

So I am not using the argument to lessen the value of any individual life, so much as I am pointing out it is an error to place the value at that locus in the first place.

I'm not sure I fully follow this but I think I disagree. I believe you use this language to dehumanise the foetus. Or, if you don't intend to, that is still the result. Of course, if you don't see the early unborn as human then that is probably fine with you.

It is possible I have, but I think I more often use the phrase "Barely differentiated collection of cells" which is somewhat more accurate. A phrase which I think pre-empts some, or even all, of your "we're all just bunches of cells." concerns?

I don't know, I'm not a scientist. My point is that you can describe something as "just x" or "just y" and make it sound thoroughly unimportant. It's just sophistry though. We're all "just something".
    And as I said above I think the exact opposite. We have no right NOT to do this. Because it appears no one and nothing else is going to do it for us. And it is simply an error of moral and ethical philosophy NOT to be explicit about what we value and why we value it, and construct arguments to that effect.

Yes and I value all human life. I don't break it down anymore than that and nor do I think we can or should.

That is a false analogy however in all the ways my blue print analogy is not. Because here you are equivocating between the value of two instances of human sentience. Do not get me wrong that ALSO is a conversation worth having. And there are interesting intellectual and philosophical discussions that come from it. For example most people seemingly would save a young child of 8 from a burning building than a 25 year old. I likely would too. But if you sit down and have that discussion at a philosophical level it turns out the opposite is actually easier to defend morally.

But the reason the analogy fails HERE is when aborting a fetus at 16 weeks we are not equivocating between two sentient agents. But between agents that are sentient and agents that are not, never have been, and are a distinct period of time away from ever being.

So by all means equivocate between children and adults and which sentience is more valuable. It is a discussion we DO have despite you claiming we do not. But do not lose sight of the fact that abortion is generally a discussion with only ONE sentient agent involved, not two. So there is no analogy to be drawn between them.

No, I reject your use of sentience as the be all and end all of determining the value of human life. I don't equivocate between the sentience of the child and the adult because I don't see it as a worthwhile distinction. That is my whole point. You can use that as your criteria all you like. It doesn't mean the rest of us have to.

There is a MASSIVE difference between devaluing X, and suggesting the value you are assigning to X was not warranted in the first place. I am doing the latter.

There's not really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭swampgas

It would be nice if we could stop labeling children before they even come out of the womb.

It would be nice if we stopped calling embryos and foetus "children" too.

But carry on ranting, I'm sure you think you are making some kind of point.

swampgas wrote: »
    It would be nice if we stopped calling embryos and foetus "children" too.

But carry on ranting, I'm sure you think you are making some kind of point.

There is no such thing as "foetus" dna. Its only human dna. That's why aborted baby parts are so valuable. They can be used for stem cell research for humans because, guess why, unborn babies are made of human dna.

And if they are made of human dna, they are entitled to human rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

There is no such thing as "foetus" dna. Its only human dna. That's why aborted baby parts are so valuable. They can be used for stem cell research for humans because, guess why, unborn babies are made of human dna.

Well at least you’ve moved on from “derpity incest boopity respectable schmoopity”.

I said people who were conceived as a result of rape or incest have been made to feel like second class citizens in this country over the last 24 months. You agreed, but went one step further and labelled these people as "victims":

I never gave any examples of "where the 8th is compounding the misery of victims". Its clear we were talking about the same thing and now you are trying to cover your back. You clearly called children who were conceived as a result of rape or incest as "victims".

Putting labels on unborn children based on how they were conceived is something Ireland did in the 1950's. It would be nice if we could stop labeling children before they even come out of the womb.

Optogirl was clearly referring to the woman as the victim.

Kevin, Who do you think the victim is, in the scenario of a woman being raped?

compounding the misery of victims was referring to the VICTIMS, not the babies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

No they’re not because they are not people. They are not considered people by the state until they have been born.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement