Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watchmen- HBO-(***Spoilers***)

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,153 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Mickeroo wrote: »
    She's totally going to find magic waffles in the kitchen next week and get his powers from them :pac:
    Well I wasn't too far off....though we might never know for sure.

Great season of tv, getting this and Chernobyl in the space of a few months. We might never have it as good again.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,153 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

yabadabado wrote: »
    I thought she was alive as well.Cops arrested her it looked like to me .

She was definitely alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Yeah I just looked back at it. Definitely alive. She is blinking in the back seat of the cop car.

Satisfying finale.

I loved the nod to the Hooded Justice with Angela's kid looking at her mask.

Edit: "In the end? Nothing ends, Adrian. Nothing ever ends."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

anti-climax

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭brevity

Ah I don’t think it was an anticlimax, it’s sad to see it end and I think the ending wasn’t the best episode but it was a good ending to the story.

Absolutely fantastic television. Will miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Loved the show, but feel the demise of Manhattan was too easy, even if he wanted it to end that way, I thought it was very weak, he could have used his powers to finish them off without anybody ever knowing, I also felt there should have been more episodes, there was great characters and I would have loved to see more of their stories..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Loved the show, but feel the demise of Manhattan was too easy, even if he wanted it to end that way, I thought it was very weak, he could have used his powers to finish them off without anybody ever knowing, I also felt there should have been more episodes, there was great characters and I would have loved to see more of their stories..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,612 ✭✭✭Cartman78

ziggyman17 wrote: »

I thought that initially as well but having listened to a couple of podcasts since it seems that it was more likely part
    of his masterplan to defeat both Lady Trieu and the 7th Cavalry, whilst simultaneously saving mankind once again, as he realised that technology had caught up with him and he could no longer protect his powers.

Whether he then passes those powers on to someone else is another debate altogether ;)

Loved this show and will miss it. It was complicated for sure but not in a totally ridiculous way like Westworld imho.

Would highly recommend The Leftovers to anyone that liked Watchmen

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

ziggyman17 wrote: »

Same here. He's a God, he shouldn't have needed to go out there and kill them one by one whilst they were shooting at them. He should have been able to wipe them out in an instant without even moving. It kinda cheapens his death. Still an incredibly good show though.

• Advertisement

So who the hell was the lube guy who slid into the sewers?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Cartman78 wrote: »

Would highly recommend The Leftovers to anyone that liked Watchmen

The Leftovers is a masterpiece...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Petey, the FBI guy (writer of the Peteypedia).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,256 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Agent Dale Petey, the young FBI agent with Laurie Blake at the start. Not explained in the show, was revealed on an accompanying website to the show that has revealed facts and background as the show went on. https://www.hbo.com/peteypedia

• Registered Users Posts: 9,612 ✭✭✭Cartman78

According to my sources (https://www.hbo.com/peteypedia),
    it's the nerdy FBI guy :cool:

think it would hae been bettter to see more of dr manhatten's actions in vietnam to more fully understand why he was hiding and wanted to die... and then how he thought attacking vietnam was a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭evilcloud

Keyzer wrote: »
    The Leftovers is a masterpiece...

It really is one of the best shows of all time. The one thing I would recommend to anyone. The second season in particular is just perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭brevity

Will have to try and watch the leftovers so...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Acosta

Not watched The Leftovers so after Lost that was Lindelof redemption for me. Brilliant stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭strawdog

I can get why a few have felt the end was a bit anti-climatic but, to be a bit cliched about it, for me its brilliance really was about the journey not the destination.

A big part of the joy of the show was its clever exposition so that if you watched closely (and with a little bit of help from the internet, podcasts etc) you started to figure out where things were going. So with it being a one series self contained story arc, by the last ep, most of the work had been done and they really had to revert to a more straightforward structure to close in a reasonably satisfactory way.
    Will say I was expecting more from Looking Glass in the finale given he got a whole ep, eg with the sonic blast thing i thought they could have used his tin foil hat to some effect,
    but other than that minor quibble, it was by head and shoulders my show of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

I think it is best done and dusted now no need for a second season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭kerplun k

I think it is best done and dusted now no need for a second season.

I feel the same, however, I wouldn’t be opposed to ms crookshanks getting her own spin off show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Loved it from start to finish. Fantastic show. Brilliantly tied everything together. Knew they'd end it on inception's spinning top though !! :P:P

the last posdcast https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDe3iL052v0&t=3301s
    and an interview with Marc Bernardin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmC08TGaMFI where Damon Lindelof claims if there is a season 2 he won't be involved

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

9: The final strand of the love story. Perfect!

That was an excellent season! Looking forward to a guaranteed season 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Slydice wrote: »
    9: The final strand of the love story. Perfect!

That was an excellent season! Looking forward to a guaranteed season 2!

You think? Everything I’m reading suggests otherwise :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Starts with .799 million viewers and ends with .935 million viewers
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchmen_(TV_series)

7.8/10 from > 35000 on imdb:
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7049682/

96% from critics on RT even with an audience score of 50%:
    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/watchmen

Then the show finishes by showing it's about to dip a toe into the water :)

Yeah, I'm not confident it's getting a season 2, I'm sure it's guaranteed. Might be crap, might not but not a chance it won't be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,256 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I don't think HBO would have any concerns or hesitations in going for a Season 2, but it seems Lindelof doesn't want one and hasn't planned one. They went for a very specific ending and tied up pretty much all loose ends. I don't think they want to do any more of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Penn wrote: »
    I don't think HBO would have any concerns or hesitations in going for a Season 2, but it seems Lindelof doesn't want one and hasn't planned one. They went for a very specific ending and tied up pretty much all loose ends. I don't think they want to do any more of it.

Well, this is what he said recently. Right now it seems very unlikely that we'd get a season two in the next few years, at least

"I’ll say it’s still too early to answer that question. Right now the space that HBO is in and that I’m in is we’re asking the question, Should there be another season of “Watchmen”? And if there should be another season, what would it be? I’m not saying I don’t want to do it, or it shouldn’t exist. I’m just saying, “Boy, every idea that I had went into this season of ‘Watchmen.'” I’m going to put up my antenna, see if it’s receiving anything. If it’s not receiving anything in a reasonable period of time — and I’ll just say off the top of my head, it feels completely and totally arbitrary, but like a couple of months doesn’t feel unreasonable, you know, January, February, maybe March — then I think we move on to your question, which is, if not me, then who?

Because I actually do agree with HBO that this should be a continuing series. Maybe it’ll continue in a year or two, maybe they’ll continue it in four years or whatever, but I want to see more “Watchmen.” I always said to them, I do see “Watchmen” as “Fargo,” as “True Detective.” They were ongoing anthology shows, but each season had a design with a beginning, middle and end that allowed subsequent seasons to feature entirely different characters, or even be set in entirely different time periods. That’s why I think HBO is calling it an ongoing series. I didn’t say to them, “Guys, this is going to be nine episodes, and it’s going to be like ‘Chernobyl,’ and then we should just walk away.” And so it’s unfair for me now to say, I’m changing the rules.

I do think that there has to be space for private, personal conversations that happen between HBO and I. My guess is some of those conversations are going to start happening this week, and I probably won’t be sharing them with the press. I don’t think it’s appropriate to do so. But I can tell you, at this moment in time that you and I are talking, I haven’t said anything to you that I haven’t said to HBO, and vice versa."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Just finished this. What a great show and a great ending. Regina King was just simply amazing. ALL the cast was fantastic. I wouldn't know where it would go for season 2. I would rather we had one great season than to come out with a half-hearted season 2. One thing: Was Lady Trieu's mother dead in the back of the car or catatonic/traumatised?

Advertisement