Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Watchmen- HBO-(***Spoilers***)

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,395 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

So who the hell was the lube guy who slid into the sewers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Cartman78 wrote: »

Would highly recommend The Leftovers to anyone that liked Watchmen

The Leftovers is a masterpiece...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Mickeroo wrote: »

Petey, the FBI guy (writer of the Peteypedia).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,225 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Agent Dale Petey, the young FBI agent with Laurie Blake at the start. Not explained in the show, was revealed on an accompanying website to the show that has revealed facts and background as the show went on. https://www.hbo.com/peteypedia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,714 ✭✭✭Cartman78

According to my sources (https://www.hbo.com/peteypedia),
    it's the nerdy FBI guy :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

think it would hae been bettter to see more of dr manhatten's actions in vietnam to more fully understand why he was hiding and wanted to die... and then how he thought attacking vietnam was a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭evilcloud

Keyzer wrote: »
    The Leftovers is a masterpiece...

It really is one of the best shows of all time. The one thing I would recommend to anyone. The second season in particular is just perfect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭brevity

Will have to try and watch the leftovers so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭Acosta

Not watched The Leftovers so after Lost that was Lindelof redemption for me. Brilliant stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭strawdog

I can get why a few have felt the end was a bit anti-climatic but, to be a bit cliched about it, for me its brilliance really was about the journey not the destination.

A big part of the joy of the show was its clever exposition so that if you watched closely (and with a little bit of help from the internet, podcasts etc) you started to figure out where things were going. So with it being a one series self contained story arc, by the last ep, most of the work had been done and they really had to revert to a more straightforward structure to close in a reasonably satisfactory way.
    Will say I was expecting more from Looking Glass in the finale given he got a whole ep, eg with the sonic blast thing i thought they could have used his tin foil hat to some effect,
    but other than that minor quibble, it was by head and shoulders my show of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

I think it is best done and dusted now no need for a second season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭kerplun k

I think it is best done and dusted now no need for a second season.

I feel the same, however, I wouldn’t be opposed to ms crookshanks getting her own spin off show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Loved it from start to finish. Fantastic show. Brilliantly tied everything together. Knew they'd end it on inception's spinning top though !! :P:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

the last posdcast https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDe3iL052v0&t=3301s
    and an interview with Marc Bernardin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmC08TGaMFI where Damon Lindelof claims if there is a season 2 he won't be involved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

9: The final strand of the love story. Perfect!

That was an excellent season! Looking forward to a guaranteed season 2!

Slydice wrote: »
    9: The final strand of the love story. Perfect!

That was an excellent season! Looking forward to a guaranteed season 2!

You think? Everything I’m reading suggests otherwise :)

Starts with .799 million viewers and ends with .935 million viewers
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchmen_(TV_series)

7.8/10 from > 35000 on imdb:
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7049682/

96% from critics on RT even with an audience score of 50%:
    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/watchmen

Then the show finishes by showing it's about to dip a toe into the water :)

Yeah, I'm not confident it's getting a season 2, I'm sure it's guaranteed. Might be crap, might not but not a chance it won't be made.

I don't think HBO would have any concerns or hesitations in going for a Season 2, but it seems Lindelof doesn't want one and hasn't planned one. They went for a very specific ending and tied up pretty much all loose ends. I don't think they want to do any more of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Penn wrote: »
    I don't think HBO would have any concerns or hesitations in going for a Season 2, but it seems Lindelof doesn't want one and hasn't planned one. They went for a very specific ending and tied up pretty much all loose ends. I don't think they want to do any more of it.

Well, this is what he said recently. Right now it seems very unlikely that we'd get a season two in the next few years, at least

"I’ll say it’s still too early to answer that question. Right now the space that HBO is in and that I’m in is we’re asking the question, Should there be another season of “Watchmen”? And if there should be another season, what would it be? I’m not saying I don’t want to do it, or it shouldn’t exist. I’m just saying, “Boy, every idea that I had went into this season of ‘Watchmen.'” I’m going to put up my antenna, see if it’s receiving anything. If it’s not receiving anything in a reasonable period of time — and I’ll just say off the top of my head, it feels completely and totally arbitrary, but like a couple of months doesn’t feel unreasonable, you know, January, February, maybe March — then I think we move on to your question, which is, if not me, then who?

Because I actually do agree with HBO that this should be a continuing series. Maybe it’ll continue in a year or two, maybe they’ll continue it in four years or whatever, but I want to see more “Watchmen.” I always said to them, I do see “Watchmen” as “Fargo,” as “True Detective.” They were ongoing anthology shows, but each season had a design with a beginning, middle and end that allowed subsequent seasons to feature entirely different characters, or even be set in entirely different time periods. That’s why I think HBO is calling it an ongoing series. I didn’t say to them, “Guys, this is going to be nine episodes, and it’s going to be like ‘Chernobyl,’ and then we should just walk away.” And so it’s unfair for me now to say, I’m changing the rules.

I do think that there has to be space for private, personal conversations that happen between HBO and I. My guess is some of those conversations are going to start happening this week, and I probably won’t be sharing them with the press. I don’t think it’s appropriate to do so. But I can tell you, at this moment in time that you and I are talking, I haven’t said anything to you that I haven’t said to HBO, and vice versa."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Just finished this. What a great show and a great ending. Regina King was just simply amazing. ALL the cast was fantastic. I wouldn't know where it would go for season 2. I would rather we had one great season than to come out with a half-hearted season 2. One thing: Was Lady Trieu's mother dead in the back of the car or catatonic/traumatised?

Just finished this. What a great show and a great ending. Regina King was just simply amazing. ALL the cast was fantastic. I wouldn't know where it would go for season 2. I would rather we had one great season than to come out with a half-hearted season 2. One thing: Was Lady Trieu's mother dead in the back of the car or catatonic/traumatised?

Catatonic/traumatised or just not talking/moving. She was definitely alive though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Craziest thing about that? The stunt was real:

https://ie.ign.com/articles/2019/12/17/regina-king-watchmen-ending-explained-walk-on-water-doctor-manhattans-powers
    “It was wild. It was wild just to see the guy do it. I was like, ‘Yo, that's bananas!’” King enthused. “And it was cold as **** that day. So he's out there in that polyurethane, whatever it was that he had on, and he did that, and that was amazing. … They built that little drain so that he can slide in it. But yes, that was an actual stunt.”

Finished the series and applause is due, that was a magnificent stew of everything from the topical to the absurd. All mysteries tied together as neatly as one could expect without ever feeling like it cheated me. Importantly it truly felt like a sequel to everything from the original work. A late bolter for show of the year IMO.

I can see why there's hesitation over a second season. Like the original novel the world has been upended but it all ends with an ellipsis, the rest left up to the viewer to imagine. Returning might cheapen things, but we'll see. Doesn't sound like anything would happen quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

pixelburp wrote: »
    Finished the series and applause is due, that was a magnificent stew of everything from the topical to the absurd. All mysteries tied together as neatly as one could expect without ever feeling like it cheated me. Importantly it truly felt like a sequel to everything from the original work. A late bolter for show of the year IMO.

I can see why there's hesitation over a second season. Like the original novel the world has been upended but it all ends with an ellipsis, the rest left up to the viewer to imagine. Returning might cheapen things, but we'll see. Doesn't sound like anything would happen quickly.

Disorientating at the start, it soon settled into one of the best sci-fi shows around, as all the seemingly disparate cogs ground toward the immensely satisfying conclusion.
    As for further series, Lindelof doesn't seem interested in doing any himself:
    https://sciencefiction.com/2019/12/18/just-what-the-doctor-ordered-watchmen-may-become-an-anthology-series/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Great stuff. No second season please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

Watched the first two episodes. Does it get any better or is the whole thing racial politics?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Plopsu wrote: »
    Watched the first two episodes. Does it get any better or is the whole thing racial politics?

Yes to both questions.

A lot of people would say the third episode kicks things off a lot. I was a bit sceptical early doors, but really everything that happens comes together well over the nine episodes.

I'll try a bit more so but, to be honest, I wasn't too impressed with the first two episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Plopsu wrote: »
    I'll try a bit more so but, to be honest, I wasn't too impressed with the first two episodes.
    Neither was I but by the end I considered it to be one of the best seasons of television in the last decade. Stick with it, if by episode five you're still not impress then you can stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I thought Regina King was a revelation right from the start but I think it did go from good to great about episode 3 and to unmissable from episode 5 or so.

I can understand if some people would have issues if they only saw the movie. A mate of mine just did not like the series at all. But I thought it was much closer in tone to the book than the series.

But please please PLEASE no more. It is done. I didn't think we needed it beforehand but now I'm happy they made it. But I would be happier if they now left it as a nice one-off.

Just thinking, when was the last time something was released that was this good in its first season and people actually called for the series to end. Nothing really springs to mind.

• Advertisement

kerplun k wrote: »
    Just thinking, when was the last time something was released that was this good in its first season and people actually called for the series to end. Nothing really springs to mind.

Felt like some people panned Legion from it's first episode and season. Not all though.

Slydice wrote: »
    Felt like some people panned Legion from it's first episode and season. Not all though.

Yeah. But people who liked legion wanted more, hell, I’d love more seasons of Legion myself. I’m talking about a show that was this well received, in which people didn’t want to see anymore.

Speaking of Legion actually, I’m thinking of it’s shows-runner Noah Hawley, I would of been happy with his first Season of Fargo ending. It’s an amazing, and I would have been perfectly happy with the one season.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think it's possibly because the original Watchmen story itself was a once off; it never really leant itself to a sprawling world of tales, even if the world within was fascinating. That we got a TV sequel to it in the first place, and was legitimately brilliant, was a miracle but viewers familiar with the work possibly already knew to be grateful for what they got. Maybe? I dunno.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

pixelburp wrote: »
    I think it's possibly because the original Watchmen story itself was a once off; it never really leant itself to a sprawling world of tales, even if the world within was fascinating. That we got a TV sequel to it in the first place, and was legitimately brilliant, was a miracle but viewers familiar with the work possibly already knew to be grateful for what they got. Maybe? I dunno.

I get what you are saying but that same arguement applies to making the TV show in the first place and look what happened there.

Nope, that was crap. At least they didn't give the villains actual moustaches to twirl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,886 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

HBO Chief On Possible Second Season And What It Might Look Like
    Watchmen is the type of water-cooler, buzzy, prestige series with strong digital viewership and awards recognition that premium networks dream about.

Damon Lindelof’s continuation of the DC Comics series, created by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons, was billed as a one-off series but its success has prompted talk about a followup.

“It is really up to Damon at this point, he is thinking about what he wants to do,” HBO President of Programming Casey Bloys told Deadline at TCA. “Truly, I don’t know at this point whether it is a returning drama series or a limited series. I think one of the things Damon did so brilliantly was, he opened up this entire world. So maybe there is another version with a whole new set of characters. I don’t know because Damon doesn’t know, and I’m talking his lead on this.”

Bloys would be open to anything Lindelof would want to do next, Watchmen-related — or not.

“If it’s a season two — great, if it’s a new take on the world — great, if it’s something else complexly, I’m just going take his lead.”

https://deadline.com/2020/01/watchmen-second-season-hbo-chief-new-take-damon-lindelof-1202831834/

lol, so he doesn't know and it's all down to what Damon Lindelof decides from my reading of that short quote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,554 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Skerries wrote: »

I'd be totally fine with that. It's essentially perfect as it is.

Most of all I just loved what incredible quality there was through every vein.
    All the cast, (I loved your one from Legion who played Silk Spectre), the music, the editing, the format of the episodes, the way it blends the different storylines together.

It kinda seems like a low bar, but for a show like this to have such absurdly high production values is a real treat.

It's the right decision for the right reasons. Like the show itself, something of a rarity in the TV industry these days.

I'm going to enjoy the hell out of rewatching it in the future. Nothing more needed to be added to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,714 ✭✭✭Cartman78

I'm getting a new TV delivered tomorrow....planning on re-watching this next week :cool:

lol, HBO have been putting some extras up on their channel.

top comment on this one was funny:
    Intern: dammit i forgot to change the title.
    People hungry for season 2: THE NUMBERS, HBO. WHAT DO THEY MEAN!?!?

I think it's just a trailer for Season 1. I didn't notice any new scenes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jonski

I just finished this last night, I loved the film and was looking forward to this .

I thought I was building it up too much but, for me, it didn't disappoint . I really enjoyed it, was looking to see if there would be a season 2 but I can live with it at just one season ........ that way it can't be ruined .

Sorry for bumping the thread but I have to say based on recommendations here I decided to check out The Leftovers. I'm nearing the end of Season 2, and so far this show is amazing. I enjoyed Season 1 a lot, but Season 2 has taken it to another level.

I took a chance with it after people recommending it following how great the Watchmen was, and there's definite similarities in quality and presentation. It's a weird f*cking show, but god damn it has some moments of brilliance, and the acting is top-notch throughout (bar Christopher Eccleston's great acting but lumbered with terrible American accent).

Don't know what Season 3 will bring, but it's been quality so far. Would definitely recommend if you enjoyed Watchmen.

Since Lost, Lindelof seems to have created a knack for producing great shows that no one watches :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Relikk

Penn wrote: »
    Sorry for bumping the thread but I have to say based on recommendations here I decided to check out The Leftovers.
    Same here, watching it as a recommendation after Watchmen, that is. I enjoyed the first season, but I found everything after that to be irritating. I couldn't wait to get it over with.

kerplun k wrote: »
    Since Lost, Lindelof seems to have created a knack for producing great shows that no one watches :)

If anything one of the biggest issues Lost had was too many people watched it, which meant the writers tried to please everyone and mostly ended up pleasing no-one (though I still enjoyed it for the most part). They tried to make the mysteries and surprises too big and shocking, then backed themselves into too many corners and struggled to get out of them. So far Watchmen and what I've seen of The Leftovers feels far more organic in many ways, and that only what needs to be explained will be explained, everything else just is what it is.
    Relikk wrote: »
    Same here, watching it as a recommendation after Watchmen, that is. I enjoyed the first season, but I found everything after that to be irritating. I couldn't wait to get it over with.

The start of Season 2 was a bit of a struggle, but seeing how everything is coming together I think it's working out great. I'm hopeful for it anyway, enjoying it so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,554 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I was very happy with how The Leftovers finished as I was worried after Lost's ending but they pulled it off
    I am now looking forward to his next project and hope it as good as The Leftovers and The Watchmen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

The Leftovers is probably one of the best vest shows I’ve ever watched tbh. Fantastic cast. Justin Theroux was excellent throughout. It was joke that he never won an Emmy or the show for that matter. International Assassin is up there with the greatest episodes on TV IMO and The music by Max Richter throughout just elevates the show even more.

• Advertisement

International Assassin is up there with the greatest episodes on TV IMO

That was the one that really cemented how great the show is for me. I was starting to enjoy Season 2, but that pushed it far beyond that, so much so that I instantly watched the last 10 minutes again, and watched those 10 minutes again last night. So incredible.

Advertisement