Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Watchmen- HBO-(***Spoilers***)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Was the watchman graphic novel more of an ensemble piece with equal time to Nite Owl Roschach and Veidt? My one criticism of the show is that too much time is spent on the Angela character, her past, her relationships, her storyline. Interesting to see how this could change if they get a season 2.

I think a few week's of the show was basically about a single character. Looking Glass, Dr Manhattan & Laurie Blake all had episodes based around their character.
    Lady Trieu, Judd Crawford & Hooded Justice had episodes where they were front and centre too.
    Angela at times was a bore but I was happy whenever she was Sister Night or not playing Mom to their kids. I swear when they disappeared last night I thought they were going to be revealed to be placed in her imagination by Cal/Jon because their characters were so one dimensional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

Suicide by c/kavalry

• Registered Users Posts: 33,226 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Another fantastic episode. Performance from the actor who plays Cal wasn't overly great, but he did well enough. Regina King was great, as was Jeremy Irons (whose more subdued performance in Karnak was a welcome change from his general OTT performance in previous episodes on Europa). The story beats were great and how they used Manhattan's time differentials to great use, and the final part where Angela and her grandfather talk through him was genius.

Really excited for the finale. This has turned into one of the best shows of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

robwen wrote: »
    Keep watching till the end of the credits this week, ep 8

Thanks, I hope there wasn't after credit scenes every week or else I've missed out

• Registered Users Posts: 60,285 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Thanks, I hope there wasn't after credit scenes every week or else I've missed out

There was.

Just this week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wait, there have been after-credits scenes each episode? Ah FFS! How instrumental have they been to the series?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,285 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Scratch that I am getting my series mixed up.

This week was the only one on Watchmen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭DenMan

I love this series so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭brevity

I wish next week wasn’t the last episode. Hopefully it’s finished off in style.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

What a show! Best I've "watched" in years. Don't know anything/much about the comics, apart from the movie a few years back (which i can barely remember)..but this show has had me hooked from the start. Fantastic all round. I'm sure there's so many nods and winks I'm missing out on but enjoying all the ones Lindelof has written into the series.
    Must check out the leftovers too off the back of this.

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    Wait, there have been after-credits scenes each episode? Ah FFS! How instrumental have they been to the series?

Each week has had a promo for the next episode. This week was the only one with a proper aftercredits scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭kerplun k

A god walks into abar, Haha. lindelof, you son of a bitch.

If anyone is interested in The Leftovers after this, I’d recommend not giving up after season 1. The show takes a huge leap in quality after S:1.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭ollkiller

kerplun k wrote: »
    If anyone is interested in The Leftovers after this, I’d recommend not giving up after season 1. The show takes a huge leap in quality after S:1.

This. The first season of The Leftovers is very slow and trying. But it's all a setup for Season 2 and 3. Which are some of the best television ever made. The episode International Assassin in Season 2 will blow your f***ing mind apart. Television of the highest caliber. And the cast are fantastic.

ollkiller wrote: »
    This. The first season of The Leftovers is very slow and trying. But it's all a setup for Season 2 and 3. Which are some of the best television ever made. The episode International Assassin in Season 2 will blow your f***ing mind apart. Television of the highest caliber. And the cast are fantastic.

Must give it a try myself. I'm the only person I know who liked all of Lost (yes it was really awful in places, but it also hit some amazing highs with terrific actors and episodes).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Leftovers is brilliant. Very well acted, and written and the soundtrack is one of the best.

I think the first season is loosely based on the book then Lindelof went his own way and nailed it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I've yet to watch the Leftovers but I was a Lost fan. It was a fun ride while it was around. After this though Lindelof will have to be cut far more slack by people over the internet as he has well and truly nailed it*. There should be no more "ugh.... but it's by the guy who wrote Lost and Prometheus."

*Subject to the finale not bombing harder than Game of Thrones:pac:

Big fan of the use of the Blue Danube for the Dr Manhattan scenes, nice throw back to 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but I read last week that the big blue Dr.Manhattan "intimacy device" Laurie went to use in episode 3 was called Excalibur.

Excalibur.

Ex-Cal-Abar :D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,139 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

She's totally going to find magic waffles in the kitchen next week and get his powers from them :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Penn wrote: »
    Don't know if it's been mentioned, but I read last week that the big blue Dr.Manhattan "intimacy device" Laurie went to use in episode 3 was called Excalibur.

Excalibur.

Ex-Cal-Abar :D

*Chefs kiss*

And with that the penny drops also. Am not on episode 8 yet, but suddenly all that prior resting antagonism Laurie had for Angela suddenly takes on a new context really.

Which also reminds to say that Jean Smart has been awesome; charismatic, absolutely no F's given, but still hiding that brittleness from a lifetime ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

the hiding of his face was so annoying and not sure the reveal justified it, I hope there is more to it.

the hiding of his face was so annoying and not sure the reveal justified it, I hope there is more to it.

He was a hell of a hand actor! :D

I get why they did it. They needed a reason for him to look like Cal later in the episode and for that to be how we see Dr.Manhattan, but didn't want to show what he originally looked like before becoming Cal because since that would be our first look at the real Dr.Manhattan, that's the face we'd always be stuck with in our minds.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,139 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I doubt there is, sure we know exactly who he is. It was so they didn't have to cast someone else to play him before he took on Cal's features.

Agreed. I think it was done that way to tether DM with Cal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

it only makes sense to freak out his kids cos angela knew what his previous face looked like

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

1.8: What a cool love story :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

it only makes sense to freak out his kids cos angela knew what his previous face looked like

That makes no sense. The kids would be freaked out because he’s blue and standing on water.

They don’t use his face in the show so that they maintain the same actor’s voice. It’s a cool stylistic choice I thought. Otherwise another actor would be miming the voice and it would look off, or they use two actors, with two different voices. They needed the consistency as it’s a love story with Angela falling for Dr M.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Wasn't mad about the effects for Manhattan. Something just looked a little off. I understand the chasm between TV and movie budgets but still I was expecting something a little bit more spectacular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Just a fantastic show. Take a bow Lindelof. Hopefully it gets renewed. I wouldn't be surprised though if it's just the one season.

Advertisement