Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biochar and natural farming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Whats the benefits of it and why did you decide to cary out this project?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,078 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Whats the benefits of it and why did you decide to cary out this project?

Long lasting carbon storage in the soil with the benefits of holding onto nitrates and phosphorous and providing accommodation for more soil life and increasing the cation exchange capacity of the soil with the long term aim of reducing purchases of those blue bags in the picture there.

Why? I was bored. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Earnshaw

Ho hum..:):)]]

What's in the IBC tank?

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭webels

Great information here say my name. Is that a tipping skip you use for the burn?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭timfromtang

Earnshaw wrote: »

What's in the IBC tank?
    I'd guess water for quenching.
    tim

• Advertisement

webels wrote: »
    Great information here say my name. Is that a tipping skip you use for the burn?

No it's a specially made pyramid kiln just with the addition of Euro brackets for the loader.
    I got the dimensions for it from open source plans on the net. I used the dimensions from the 1100 litre kon tiki cone. You'll get that with Google on images.
    This even though it's a pyramid not a cone still just holds 1100 litres. Just the right size for quenching with a 1000 litre ibc tank and for the loader. It's just the right size for it all. Made with 5mm steel.

Earnshaw wrote: »

What's in the IBC tank?

It's water. I can use any liquid biology or nutrients to quench though.
    I'll use some compost extract on a few quenches but I haven't enough at present with the dry weather and any I had I sprayed direct on the grass with the sprayer.
    But anyway this is going in the slurry tank and out with the tanker.

There's an interesting talk/webinar on the soil food web and biochar here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Permaculture/comments/fyntmt/rapid_soil_building_for_emergencies_and_beyond/?utm_source=ifttt

Biochar is from 40 mins in.
    But it's interesting from the start on the soil food web.

Interesting article on using biochar and lactic acid to treat manure and slurry.
    Korean natural farming uses lactic acid to treat manure.
    The article also says silage juice can be used. But probably only if it's lactic acid coming from it.

https://www.biochar-journal.org/en/ct/29

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Would you have any idea what the perfect carbon : nitrogen ratio of a fertilizer should be?

Compost is 20:1
    Microbes themselves are 8:1

So would 8:1 sound right and that leaves nitrogen available to the plant.
    Might as well move this over here I think?

I think the whole point if adding molasses or any available carbon source us to help mitigate against soil carbon loss from the N application stripping it out during breakdown. The rate I've seen for that purpose is 25l/ ha, any excess molasses will just function as a food source for soil bugs.
    I just add some to feed any bugs in soil or maybe in my mix.

• Advertisement

Not sure if this movie/documentary was already mentioned on this thread.

But I see it mentioned elsewhere as free to view from Earth day which has past up to the 1st of May.

It's called "Dirt Rich" the movie.. Over 1hr 27mins long so not a dinner time watch.

https://vimeo.com/290375721

I actually got some CAN fertilizer delivered today with a carbon source coating it (seaweed powder or carbonate or something?). I'll use that instead of the protected urea products that are being pushed here.
    This CAN + seaweed in trials last year gave the same yield as CAN but with 20% less used as CAN.
    I'm in derogation so hopefully this will cover the protected urea requirement.

I actually got some CAN fertilizer delivered today with a carbon source coating it (seaweed powder or carbonate or something?). I'll use that instead of the protected urea products that are being pushed here.
    This CAN + seaweed in trials last year gave the same yield as CAN but with 20% less used as CAN.
    I'm in derogation so hopefully this will cover the protected urea requirement.

I'd say you'd want to get that cleared or else the docket fixed.

I'd say you'd want to get that cleared or else the docket fixed.

I'll have to find out anyway. Not a fan of protected urea.

Coleus cutting growing in 100% miscanthus biochar.

20200429-120438.jpg

Carbon capture occurring twice (well three times if the grass underneath is included) in that picture.

Substitute the oil plastic pot for a clay or bioplastic pot and life would be complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,133 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Eamon Ryan wants your number.

Water John wrote: »
    Eamon Ryan wants your number.

Ah now. I didn't know it was a western facing window sill at the time..

If he is around.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s42773-019-00019-0

Not sure if ye already subscribe to their YouTube channel.
    They have over 191k subscribers. So chances are ye do already. :pac:

Way out West. A couple farming a smallholding in the west of Ireland.

They have been making biochar. The clip here shows them making pyramid kilns and biochar.

https://youtu.be/2EFVEjBVh48

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Not sure if ye already subscribe to their YouTube channel.
    They have over 191k subscribers. So chances are ye do already. :pac:

Way out West. A couple farming a smallholding in the west of Ireland.

They have been making biochar. The clip here shows them making pyramid kilns and biochar.

https://youtu.be/2EFVEjBVh48

Yeah, am subscriber, they do nice vids, watched one today about a gate they made. Nice craftsmanship

This was an interesting post about using biochar and fym to make bokashi- large scale, farm scale.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3388452434545424&id=985448954845796

On the same Facebook site. Denis gives an interview/podcast about his business and how he wanted to set this business up with an emphasis on employing people instead of where he was in his previous life as a sole worker.

• Advertisement

Say My Name, this is what you should be doing with the seawater, selling it to people, not spraying on the fields, ha.
    https://www.sterimarnasal.co.uk/our-products/nasal-hygiene#breathe-easy-daily

Say My Name, this is what you should be doing with the seawater, selling it to people, not spraying on the fields, ha.
    https://www.sterimarnasal.co.uk/our-products/nasal-hygiene#breathe-easy-daily

If it's anything like sea salt when you first start taking it. You'll have dreams so vivid you'll believe you're still awake.
    You'll be seeing seven fat cows and seven thin cows when you hit the pillow.

So better than the magic mushrooms.

So better than the magic mushrooms.

The only shroom that went in this gob was a button out of a polythene tunnel.

If it's anything like sea salt when you first start taking it. You'll have dreams so vivid you'll believe you're still awake.
    You'll be seeing seven fat cows and seven thin cows when you hit the pillow.

Is it not just the same as putting a bit of salt (sea) on the chips or spuds?

Is it not just the same as putting a bit of salt (sea) on the chips or spuds?

How are you getting on with your biochar plots?

How are you getting on with your biochar plots?

Only went our this week as it was to dry. I'd say it might be too little to be significant, only a few hundred kgs mixed in with 60000 gals of slurry. I mixed in some humans and molasses as well.

I'll keep you posted.

Only went our this week as it was to dry. I'd say it might be too little to be significant, only a few hundred kgs mixed in with 60000 gals of slurry. I mixed in some humans and molasses as well.

I'll keep you posted.

Has someone contacted the Guards?

Has someone contacted the Guards?

Ah he meant humates. I think.

Or maybe tiny humans.

• Advertisement

I'll keep you posted.
    Cool.

Pit kiln?

Advertisement