Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biochar and natural farming

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭toleratethis

Upstream wrote: »
    She has a recipe for no turn compost that I think she will pass on to the group at some stage so I'd be interested to see that.

Which group? I'd be interested too, no turn sounds great.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,133 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I presume the NOTS Biological Farming Conference attendees. I'm not very good at the attachments here, so Id say one of the others here will post it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,078 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

First attempt at biochar.
    And it went fairly well if I do say so myself.

20200123-124445.jpg

20200123-125932.jpg

20200123-132538.jpg

20200123-134354.jpg

20200123-134418.jpg

20200123-135458.jpg

The whole operation took 60 minutes from first light till last of the quench water went in. And only 2 ft of miscanthus used in an 8 x 4 x3 bale in a roughly 1100 litre capacity kiln.

Yep so that's over. Tis simple out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

First attempt at biochar.
    And it went fairly well if I do say so myself.

20200123-124445.jpg

20200123-125932.jpg

20200123-132538.jpg

20200123-134354.jpg

20200123-134418.jpg

20200123-135458.jpg

The whole operation took 60 minutes from first light till last of the quench water went in. And only 2 ft of miscanthus used in an 8 x 4 x3 bale in a roughly 1100 litre capacity kiln.

Yep so that's over. Tis simple out.

So whats the plan for it? Incorporate it with the dung and spread with the side spreader? or what are you doing with it?

Panch18 wrote: »
    So whats the plan for it? Incorporate it with the dung and spread with the side spreeader?

I'll put that on the slats and into the slurry tank.
    I'll have the quench water to spray on the grass as a foliar feed for later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭endainoz

The quench water is what you drain off?

Very interesting stuff, I'm very new to this but find it fascinating. Will you throw that straight into the slatts as it is now?

Also one last silly question: what minerals in particular are you hoping to improve in the soil by adding bio char into your slurry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Would you not be worried about blocking up the vacuum tank? For me that would be a more natural fit with dung

Also how much do you plan on spreading? My totally uneducated guess would be that to have an effect on say an acre of land you would need to apply a very significant amount of it on that acre? how much do you reckon an acre would need to have an impact?

Panch18 wrote: »
    Would you not be worried about blocking up the vacuum tank? For me that would be a more natural fit with dung

Also how much do you plan on spreading? My totally uneducated guess would be that to have an effect on say an acre of land you would need to apply a very significant amount of it on that acre? how much do you reckon an acre would need to have an impact?

You could throw it on the dung heap. Ah that's the first batch of hopefully many batches. And I do hope to use with dung.
    But for now that'll do for the tank.

Ah it shouldn't block the tank it's an open tank fairly watery and this biochar batch breaks up no problem.

The best solution is to use with animal manure so the thinking should be how much biochar do I need to optimize the nitrogen capture from a given amount of animal manure rather than thinking I need so much per acre. Treat the manure. It'll build up over time.

endainoz wrote: »
    The quench water is what you drain off?

Very interesting stuff, I'm very new to this but find it fascinating. Will you throw that straight into the slatts as it is now?

Also one last silly question: what minerals in particular are you hoping to improve in the soil by adding bio char into your slurry?
    I'll throw it evenly over the slats as is now.
    I'm able to drain the quench water back into an ibc tank by just lifting the kiln with the loader. It takes an ibc to quench it so whatever much I'll get back?

Mineral wise: it'll catch and hold onto nitrogen, phosphorus and sulphur. So those would be nice not to have leaching from the manure/slurry and soil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Is that an on-farm mini-crematorium ...

Well done on the project, must be great job satisfaction in seeing it work out.

• Advertisement

Is that an on-farm mini-crematorium ...

Well done on the project, must be great job satisfaction in seeing it work out.

Well if don't hear from me it probably is..

Ah bloody brilliant to be at it. Especially when I was obsessing about it so much. But then I wouldn't have got the kiln I wanted or exactly known what to do.
    And this is such a simple way to be at it.
    The next step will probably be to see if can use IMO's with it. Roll on Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,133 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Could you spread on the dung under the cattle during the winter? Well done BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭jimini0

Well if don't hear from me it probably is..

Ah bloody brilliant to be at it. Especially when I was obsessing about it so much. But then I wouldn't have got the kiln I wanted or exactly known what to do.
    And this is such a simple way to be at it.
    The next step will probably be to see if can use IMO's with it. Roll on Kilkenny.

Well done. You have been on about bio char for so long. I was wondering when you would get on with it. Looks like a nice set you have. Don't suppose you have a tutorial video?

Water John wrote: »
    Could you spread on the dung under the cattle during the winter? Well done BTW.

Yep. And thanks.

Check out the pdf links and slides from their demonstration days.
    http://wilsonbiochar.com/

jimini0 wrote: »
    Well done. You have been on about bio char for so long. I was wondering when you would get on with it. Looks like a nice set you have. Don't suppose you have a tutorial video?

In fairness now all the other kilns you'd see are crap and require a bit of labour just made for the smallholder and even a kiln sold in this country by a char group was a rip off. So I'm happy enough I waited. I do have other work to do as well on farm.

This is a similar procedure to it.

https://youtu.be/U1aQZw08fSE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭jimini0

In fairness now all the other kilns you'd see are crap and require a bit of labour just made for the smallholder and even a kiln sold in this country by a char group was a rip off. So I'm happy enough I waited. I do have other work to do as well on farm.

This is a similar procedure to it.

https://youtu.be/U1aQZw08fSE

I have a nice pile of bushes from recent job. I really want to go the bio char route. I have an old bath that I might try it in might not work out. Seen a video a while ago of it bein done in a bath

I have a nice pile of bushes from recent job. I really want to go the bio char route. I have an old bath that I might try it in might not work out. Seen a video a while ago of it bein done in a bath

It'll cost you nothing anyway.
    Good luck with it.

Here's an interesting website by Dutchman Walter Veldman about biochar and going back on his use of it over the past few years with pictures and harvest figures.
    * He was mixing it with cattle manure maybe a few more little things. But it's definite on the cattle manure.

I hope everyone's phone has a translate option..

https://www.greenwavebiochar.nl/

Research into biochar use of reducing emissions from cattle slurry by TEAGASC and NUIG.

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0111965

• Registered Users Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭endainoz

Might be worth watching ear to the ground tonight, looks the be a report on a Clare Farmer doing a sort of bio char method with burning rushes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I've made some in a bath with Timfromtang. We used ash lengths about 2'' thick. First light 3 small separate fires in the bottom of the bath, then spread out the red hot embers along the bottom of the bath. Add fresh wood in layers just as white ash begins to form. We got about 180 litres of charcoal after about 5-6 hours. It was quenched with water because we were using it for blacksmithing, I suppose for bio char you could quench it with cattle slurry.

Ideally you'd want to be cutting the heavier stuff into blocks nearby so you could keep an eye on the bath at the same time.

The bath was sitting up on two blocks and wrapped with rockwool to insulate it a bit.

502716.jpg

We were at Woodford smelting festival, some of us have weird hobbies:D

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Found another pic, the wood needs to be packed tightly in each layer so air doesn't get down to burn the charcoal underneath.

502719.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

blue5000 wrote: »
    Found another pic, the wood needs to be packed tightly in each layer so air doesn't get down to burn the charcoal underneath.

502719.jpg

Wow
    I thought it needed to be in an oxygen starved container ?

By keeping the fire burning on top oxygen doesn't get down to the charcoal at the bottom. BTW you need to block the drain hole:(

blue5000 wrote: »
    By keeping the fire burning on top oxygen doesn't get down to the charcoal at the bottom. BTW you need to block the drain hole:(

Now if the drain hole was just plumbed to a liquid tank or slurry tank..for quenching.

And then rachet strap the bath to pallet forks on a loader to bring wherever you want it and to empty it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

So for example with one burn in that bath, and say the char is inoculated with slurry.
    How much ground would that be useful for ?

_Brian wrote: »
    So for example with one burn in that bath, and say the char is inoculated with slurry.
    How much ground would that be useful for ?

I don't think there's any hard and fast rules. You could have some going with one ton per acre and others 15t per acre.
    Whatever it is it's one less gram of carbon floating around in our atmosphere.
    Any amount no matter how small helps cations and anions and electrons move easier in the soil. Basically bring up your CEC.
    And new soil carbon forms around any little bit applied. And any new soil carbon means more nitrogen available for plants.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭timfromtang

Hi all,
    I was just testing out a new search engine called Ecosia (they use profits to plant trees!!!!) and did my usual biochar search.
    As usual the wikipedia entry is close to the top.
    I read it again and was ASTONISHED at how more extensive and more informative it is opposed to the last time I looked.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biochar

all the best
    tim

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭timfromtang

Greetings all
    Later this year I will be pyrolising a LARGE volume of ash sticks and sawmill waste (mostly larch) to produce biochar for addition to a problem acid soil section of our forestry and 3000 kg of charcoal for the furnace festival this year. I intend to sieve the resulting char and use the particles larger than 15mm for the furnace festival and the fine material to make the soil amendment my patch of forestry needs.
    I expect to be processing 24-40 tons of material to do this.

I would welcome interested parties who wish to learn about the process.
    Folk will be welcome to visit on the burn days to participate and learn.

I'll be using a pit to pryolise in.
    I expect it will take about 4 burns to process this volume.
    Burns will take about 5-8 hours to complete.

I will post here more details closer to the time.

all the best
    tim

• Advertisement

Ho hum..:):)

20200411-150613.jpg

20200411-160034.jpg

20200411-162307.jpg

20200411-163536.jpg

20200411-163537.jpg

Advertisement