Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biochar and natural farming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,078 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

It's electro magnetic frequency protection paint. For when you don't want mobile phone coverage in your house or concerned about cancer causing micro frequency waves or whatever job you want it to do that the tin foil hat can do.
    It's deadly serious and people use it to prevent radiation from power lines or transformers etc from entering the room, house.

https://www.emrss.com/collections/emf-shielding-paint

All it is charcoal, carbon, biochar paint and does what it says on the tin.

Albert Bates showed a pressed pad of charcoal a while ago in Ireland placed over an electrical wall socket, stopped the frequency, charge, emissions, whatever from getting past the charcoal layer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Fantastic

Danzy wrote: »
    Fantastic

The endless use of carbon.

Do you ever add IMOs to the slurry tank just before agitation.

Trying it this year.

Do you ever add IMOs to the slurry tank just before agitation.

Trying it this year.

No. I doubt they'd work in slurry though. I think the whole point of IMO's is that they're aerobic. Would the slurry being anaerobic nullify the benefit? (Kill them).
    There's another poster on here was making their own slurry bugs from kitchen waste might be more benefit.

• Advertisement

Another batch made.

Inoculated with seaweed that was left in an ibc and molasses added.

In the picture - biochar, kiln, tractor, bucket of seaweed/molasses inoculant, coleus plant growing in 100% biochar, concrete and feed barriers.

20200717-145854.jpg

Feel the love between these two news presenters. :D

(I had to add it in).:p

https://youtu.be/tyqks1MHjBE

Someone sponsor me a new phone. :pac:
    The footage is terrible.

https://youtu.be/H_2BK7Srunk

Ye get the idea anyways. No fert since end of May/June. Seaweed and molasses alright.
    And they all received dirty water/slurry. Only difference is there was biochar in some and not in other applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Someone sponsor me a new phone. :pac:
    The footage is terrible.

https://youtu.be/H_2BK7Srunk

Ye get the idea anyways. No fert since end of May/June. Seaweed and molasses alright.
    And they all received dirty water/slurry. Only difference is there was biochar in some and not in other applications.
    I'd get a new camera man.

• Advertisement

I'd get a new camera man.

He's left already.

Wages weren't great!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,133 ✭✭✭✭Water John

She really lowered the temp in the studio.
    I suspect he again went ad lib and she wants to stick with the autocue.

Water John wrote: »
    She really lowered the temp in the studio.
    I suspect he again went ad lib and she wants to stick with the autocue.

Probably just their dynamics.
    Like Ivan Yates and Chris Donaghue..were.

Whatever it was. Was funny. :p

(Yates started his own show on South east radio this afternoon. Didn't hear it though.) Probably on their player thingy.

There's a very inspiring piece on biochar in this week's farming independent.
    A well written account of a farmers experience over the last three years in Kildare using it.

The farming/biochar/horticulture/gardening thread. :pac:

I better share an update on the coleus before it gets the chop up for cuttings.

20200924-135355.jpg

20200924-135436.jpg

20200924-135158.jpg

Not bad if I do say so myself. And proves plants (well this one) can be grown on 100% biochar (miscanthus).
    Things I learned : it seems there is a difference in aged and fresh biochar. Wood vinegar use gives a kick after six months of application and this followed through with it really kicking on after six months the char was made.
    Innoculating the char with sea minerals doesn't harm the plant.
    It also likes to be watered with cold tea from actual tea leaves.
    And the char and plant acts as an air conditioner indoors cleaning the air..just like the Japanese tradition of indoor air cleaning with charcoal.

Fin.. Snip, Snip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

The farming/biochar/horticulture/gardening thread. :pac:

I better share an update on the coleus before it gets the chop up for cuttings.

20200924-135355.jpg

20200924-135436.jpg

20200924-135158.jpg

Not bad if I do say so myself. And proves plants (well this one) can be grown on 100% biochar (miscanthus).
    Things I learned : it seems there is a difference in aged and fresh biochar. Wood vinegar use gives a kick after six months of application and this followed through with it really kicking on after six months the char was made.
    Innoculating the char with sea minerals doesn't harm the plant.
    It also likes to be watered with cold tea from actual tea leaves.
    And the char and plant acts as an air conditioner indoors cleaning the air..just like the Japanese tradition of indoor air cleaning with charcoal.

Fin.. Snip, Snip.

I used to grow these commercially along with bedding plants and other potted flowers years ago for selling to the public and some garden centres..they would only be about a third the size of that... pat on the back there say my name. Gerry Daly would be envious at the size of that coleus.

NcdJd wrote: »
    I used to grow these commercially along with bedding plants and other potted flowers years ago for selling to the public and some garden centres..they would only be about a third the size of that... pat on the back there say my name. Gerry Daly would be envious at the size of that coleus.
    I haven't snipped it yet.

I'm seriously considering leaving it be and seeing how far it'll go. Ok I'll leave be.. :D

In other speaks the sea minerals that got is called Ormus. That and biochar mixed together is supposed to be very good but the reports were sketchy and only from a few online. But for me for the first attempt at making both, I'm happy enough.
    The leaves on it on the upper bits are nearly the size of my hand.

If it gets to six foot in that pot I'll throw up a few more pics. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Freejin

Very interesting stuff on this thread. Is there anybody in ireland producing biochar at a commercial level?

Freejin wrote: »
    Very interesting stuff on this thread. Is there anybody in ireland producing biochar at a commercial level?

I think Arigna fuels is making it from imported olive stones?

There is a difference between dry made and quenched biochar though.
    One is moisture repelling the dry made.
    And the quenched is moisture attracting.
    So one is more receptive to absorbing minerals.
    But the dry just needs that little longer to act as well as the quenched.

I have a feeling bord na mona could be looking at it too. They've announced they'll be starting up their boilers on biomass next year and they've a few years research on biochar done.

Mixing cattle minerals, seaweed and biochar, Australian style.

Dung beetle footage in the comments section.
    It should share...it's a public group.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/360613800973215?view=permalink&id=1203465430021377

• Advertisement

For anyone that's interested.

Here's the EBI whitepaper released in October.

https://twitter.com/BBiochar/status/1321937413577576450?s=20

Yesterday.

20201128-145336.jpg

Today.

20201201-151307.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Yesterday.

20201128-145336.jpg

Today.

20201201-151307.jpg

Going to need a bit more help with tha, what am I looking at ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,627 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

_Brian wrote: »

Famine pot !

_Brian wrote: »

A jfc round water trough with the ingredients added to make Jadam microbial solution heated to 19 - 20c by a lister water heater.
    Tomorrow and the next day a foam of bubbles should form on the top.
    At the 72 hr mark or when there's a definite disk of foam it's ready to use.

With the cold weather forecast I won't be spraying on the soil so instead I'll use it as a slurry bug in the tanks.

Only cavaet I used brakish water on the limit of a tidal river. It's recommended to use seawater or sea salt in the solution.

It's poping already so it looks like there's life there. We'll see how it goes. First time making it.
    Whatever 500 litres of slurry bugs is worth? :D

Yesterday.

20201128-145336.jpg

Today.

20201201-151307.jpg

Give the peace process one more chance?

Give the peace process one more chance?

No.

May as well continue on right through.

It's 39 hrs now since I started this.

20201202-103420.jpg

A wheel of foam is on the surface. I think what happens is bubbles of carbon dioxide and methane? rise to the surface from the activity of the bacteria and fungi. When they hit the surface some burst and ripple the surface of the solution and some don't. The rippling doesn't allow foam to remain near the edge of the trough nor near the heater with the back ripple when it hits the solid object.

It's working anyways. I'll give some to a neighbour with their tanks to try out.
    If you were wanting to store it you'd have to mix it with wheat bran for later use.

It's still 36 hrs away from being ready I reckon. You could use it now but it's still multiplying and I'll get the best use from it.

It's 63 hrs now.

20201203-103416.jpg

There's a stronger disc than yesterday so all still good.
    I'll use it this afternoon while all's still good and live.
    If I were to to wait till tomorrow I could end up a solution of dead biota and just fertilizer.
    When the disk starts to break up. It's dying and it's gone too far.

If this was to be used on soil it would cover an area from 0.3 acre to 8 acres.

This is called JMS - Jadam Microbial Solution orginated from Youngsang Cho in South Korea.

The originator states it can be used in drinking water for poultry and stock and sprayed on bedding too.
    The starter for this was soil beneath a deciduous tree.
    This should contain lactic acid bacteria, fungi and other anaerobic bacteria.

• Advertisement

I was listening to Dr Elaine Ingham the last day, she wasn't so complementary about biochar! But, one use she did see for it was as an aid to relieve compaction which I thought was interesting.

Advertisement