Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D&D II Act One Scene II(b) - The Dread City

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Sarric turns back to the humanoid, "Well then what shall we call you and lead on."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

"The name is Goldomeer...." he glances around "...alright, this way, through the old kitchens. My race live in the old supply warehouses, that is the safest route, but the guards would probably not let you past. Trusting the race of man has gone badly for us before.

Know the kitchen most likely has undead, do you accept this?"

"Would you mind if we were to kill these undead? Are they in anyway endeared to you or your race? If they are to attack us, we would only fairly want to attack back, but if this would cause a rift between us we should probably rethink before proceeding."

sKeith wrote: »
    "Would you mind if we were to kill these undead? Are they in anyway endeared to you or your race? If they are to attack us, we would only fairly want to attack back, but if this would cause a rift between us we should probably rethink before proceeding."
    "Though they are not a treat, they are an annoyance, kill away my friend"

"Then I accept the kitchen route."

• Advertisement

Goldomeer leads the party across old prison cells, at least 200 in total in the wing they pass through. Each cell having at least three dead prisoners, sometimes many more.

"The prison took criminals from other planes at times..." he says marching on.

Eventually they reach the kitchen, whose ceilings are higher than the great temples of Zassan. Hundreds of ovens and eating tables and thousands of undead fill its floor. Above hang crystal chandeliers, some of which carry an electrical current, thanks to some magic spell.

"How do you want to do this?" Karinth asks.

"How about this, feel free to point out the errors in my thinking, we go back through those cells and pull out everything that will burn, we pile as much of into the kitchen as we can, and light it up, hopefully we burn all the kitchen zombies, and everything else combustable in that kitchen. any other ideas?"

Goldomeer nods.

"The ovens still contain much fuel and there is plenty of flammable material in the old cells. I would only fear the smoke would fill the prison and harm some of my people. Anyway around that?"

"Well, if we could bust a hole in the roof of the kitchen, it should act as a chimney, smoke and heat wanting to rise and the exits on the same level would be drafts, so there would not be smoke coming back out into the prison from the kitchen, but instead, drafts of air to fuel the blaze pouring into the kitchen furnace."

sKeith wrote: »
    "Well, if we could bust a hole in the roof of the kitchen, it should act as a chimney, smoke and heat wanting to rise and the exits on the same level would be drafts, so there would not be smoke coming back out into the prison from the kitchen, but instead, drafts of air to fuel the blaze pouring into the kitchen furnace."
    Karinth turns.

"I agree, to bust a hole in the roof, I have powerful spells of force, though they will tax me greatly"

Ser Boros speaks up.

"Mayhap pale man I may be of use. I know how to build a trebuchet, perhaps with foraged parts from the cells, that might bring down a part of the roof?"

• Advertisement

"Okay Ser Boros, you make your trebuchet, if it fails to do its job on the roof, Karinth will be forced to itervene to finish the job. Okay, lets do this." Sarric beings to collect the flamable materials from the cells.

About two hours later they have the material and Ser Boros has his trebuchet, thanks to the odd part conjured by Karinth.

"I only require a piece of heavy masonry to launch" Ser Boros says eyeing the ceiling.

Sarric follows Ser Boros' glance to see what he is think of.

There is an already partially damaged piece of masonry in the ceiling, a burrowing of the spiders. Most of the rest of the ceiling would require multiple hits from boulders or something similar to break. This spot would only require a chunk from a wall the size of man, or something of similar weight.

Sarric says, "nice spot, let's see if I can budge it, stand clear"
    Sarric aims and fires a fire bolt can trip and the damage piece of masonry in the ceiling.

The fireball's heat is enough to melt some webbing holding parts of the masonry together. A small hole is made in the ceiling as some of the brick collapses into the kitchen. About twenty undead are crushed, but the rest care little.

About five giant spiders emerge through the hole to investigate the problem.

Sarric says to the spiders in infernal, "I think you want to clear out of there, its going to get very hots very soon."

The spiders turn and respond in infernal.

"Give us time to clear our young 'blood of the god'?"

OOC: Sarric would know 'blood of the god' means 'elf'

Sarric reponds again, "How long do you need and it shall be done."

"An hour hence..." they scuttle back up and an hour later one reemerges.

"Proceed as you wish" it says in Infernal before scuttling back.

• Advertisement

Sarric asks ser boros if he has enough masonary now to shoot with or does he need more.

"Should be enough, but to retrieve it?"

Karinth laughs.

"Sarric, if ye think it wise, I can make a small gateway and bring the masonry here, but I will be without any greater spells for a day if I do."

"Okay, if you can bring the masonry here, then Ser Boros can try to shoot his trebuchet off, if it fails, then we will just have to retreat and rest up and come back and try again tomorrow. If it succeeds, then we can set this fire a blaze and retreat and you can rest up and regain your strenght while the kitchen burns, we are not going through that way anyhow, not until it has burnt out and cooled down, so we have time to kill no matter the outcome."

Karinth concentrates in a meditative position, after a few minutes a gateway opens in the floor beside him and a corresponding one on the floor near the collapsed masonry.

Without opening his eyes his says.

"Pull it through...quick, lest the undead see the gate"

Sarric and whomever is closeby to help, pulls the masonry rubble throught the gateway and positions it onto the newly built trebuchet.

OOC: Strength check

Ser Boros quickly leaps through the gate and ties a rope around the masonry.

Leaping back, him and Sarric pull on the rope. Though the chunk of brick is of tremendous weight, Ser Boros heaves the rope with the strength of sveral men pulling the block through the gateway so fast that Karinth can close it before any of the undead take notice.

He and Sarric manage to load it onto the trebuchet. Ser Boros cuts the restraining rope and the block is fired into the ceiling, causing tons more to collapse, but creating a sizeable hole in the roof above.

Down on the ground, at the impact site, Sarric can see a small opening to the third floor has opened, enough for one person at a time to slip through.

Sarric pushes all the collected flamable materials into the kitchen, each load pushing the previous load further into the kitchen. Nearing the end of the materials, he also pushes the tebuchet into the kitchen and packs the remaining flamable materials around the trebuchet. He gets the party to rear up a 100 feet then send firebolt after firebolt cantrip towards the trebuchet and all the flamable materials until they are well ablaze and need no further assistance.

Sarric points to a cell and speaks to karinth, "Do you think you could find some comfort sleep in there while I keep an eye out for trouble. I'm hoping it will be many hours until those blazes die down."

Karinth nods.

"I think I can, see you in a few hours."

The blaze roars, the odd undead heads in the party's direction now and again, purely at random, but are cut down either by Sarric or Thorginz in short order.

The smoke bellows out through the roof of the ancient prison, up into the first floor.

After a few hours Karinth rises, rejuvenated, but the flames are still burning. All the undead are now gone.

• Advertisement

Sarric says to karinth" I don't know if you noticed, but when we took out that roof, the falling debris smashed a hole down to the next level. I think that was fortunate, and when the flames subside, we should be able to make it down another level of this dungeon, then its only one more level to descend until we search for our sword."

Sarric says to Thorginz " The third level, thats where you want to search for your item, I think we just might get you there soon"

Sarric says to the humanoid, "We will be descendin through the hole in the kitchen floor, You are welcome to join us for the adventure if you wish, up to you buddy."

He pauses and looks to the others for words of encouragement or caution.

Advertisement