Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Diarmuid wrote: »
    Why implement wireless on a groupset? It's an solution looking for a problem. The shifters or gears don't move from the bars/frame. All you're adding is the requirement to have distributed batteries. All downside, no upside.

Well yes, but SRAM eTap looks lovely (IMO) and that's more important.

I hanker for an early midlife crisis as an excuse to get it.

That said, my 10 Speed Sram Red is still near perfect. It would be perfect but I can't adjust the RD after its winter hibernation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Diarmuid wrote: »
    Why implement wireless on a groupset? It's an solution looking for a problem. The shifters or gears don't move from the bars/frame. All you're adding is the requirement to have distributed batteries. All downside, no upside.

No cables, man, NO CABLES!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Weighed in and should be in the cage around 9ish.

I'm sure you're all a bag of nerves waiting to hear how I got on!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Torres09

Weighed in and should be in the cage around 9ish.

I'm sure you're all a bag of nerves waiting to hear how I got on!

Good luck Jimmy rather you than me...

Decision loss...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

silver wheels on a bike with a black groupset. yea or nay?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

No from me. However, I don't like silver wheels in general

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

It’s a yes from me!

Can’t figure out why that’s coming out upside down...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Australians always did have funny tastes though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if there's anyone else like me (god help you) who's interested in townland names you wouldn't know about were it not for the segment names on strava, it's well worth checking out logainm.ie - for example, i'm often pass through a place called mallahow (oldtown to naul road, it's the first of the three sisters)
    it turns out the literal translation as bearla is 'hilltop cave' or 'hilltop souterrain'.
    i've checked the map on archaeology.ie and i'm not 100% certain if any of the features listed there (mainly ring ditches, seemingly), might be the one which led to the townland name.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,220 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

if there's anyone else like me (god help you) who's interested in townland names you wouldn't know about were it not for the segment names on strava, it's well worth checking out logainm.ie - for example, i'm often pass through a place called mallahow (oldtown to naul road, it's the first of the three sisters)
    it turns out the literal translation as bearla is 'hilltop cave' or 'hilltop souterrain'.
    i've checked the map on archaeology.ie and i'm not 100% certain if any of the features listed there (mainly ring ditches, seemingly), might be the one which led to the townland name.

Would it be named after the Tomb at Fourknocks?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/FourKnocks+Tomb/@53.5910486,-6.3338557,15.75z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x48673e75f91de56d:0x8e2973bb8e292029!8m2!3d53.5965657!4d-6.3264915

fourknocks is quite a distance away, it's a couple of hills over, about 4km as the crow files, roughly, from what i can see.

There's a place called Yellow Walls on the road from Hollystown to Kilbride which will be familiar with a few cyclists who do that route the weekend. As far as I know there's nowhere in the actual area that uses that name but it comes up on google maps when flagging the weather etc for the location you're in etc.

There's no walls around there, let alone yellow ones, so that's one I've always wondered about.

there's also a yellow walls road in malahide. i've wondered where the name comes from.

though i guess this might help: https://oldyellowwalls.org/why-yellow-walls/

though i guess this might help: https://oldyellowwalls.org/why-yellow-walls/

That's pretty interesting, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

Best news I've heard all day!
    A long-awaited contra-flow cycle route on Lombard Street East, linking the junction of Pearse Street and Westland Row to the quays is set to be built.

The project will include 2 metre wide one-way segregated cycle lane heading south-north from the junction of Pearse Street to City Quay.

https://irishcycle.com/2019/04/08/contra-flow-cycle-lane-to-be-built-between-westland-row-and-the-quays/

I cycled out that way earlier today, would have been just my luck to get a smack of a JCB

• Advertisement

Scroll down and a new type of victim blaming happening. Blaming Irish Rail and just about stopping short of blaming the bridge. It's not as it's a new bridge. It's nearly 130 years old.

https://twitter.com/aidanbreen/status/1115253369860501509

not enough hi-vis on the bridge.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Weepsie wrote: »
    Scroll down and a new type of victim blaming happening. Blaming Irish Rail and just about stopping short of blaming the bridge. It's not as it's a new bridge. It's nearly 130 years old.

https://twitter.com/aidanbreen/status/1115253369860501509

Another prime example of why having a PhD does not necessarily make you intelligent.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Another prime example of why having a PhD does not necessarily make you intelligent.

Yeah. He's not letting it go either. Some of his recommendations are just a bit like solutions that are looking for problems.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Yeah. He's not letting it go either. Some of his recommendations are just a bit like solutions that are looking for problems.

I did laugh at his, Railway bridges are not the hill I thought I would die on comment.
    He just doesn't get that the problem is the driver, and most of his solutions do not over come this.

CramCycle wrote: »
    I did laugh at his, Railway bridges are not the hill I thought I would die on comment.
    or this one?
    https://twitter.com/aidanbreen/status/1115264826945806337

physician, heal thyself.
    his twitter bio is toe curling.

His website is better, he reviews products he makes himself. He has to be a character actor, it's just too much too believe. I can't wait for the TV show, hopefully C4 or the BBC pick it up after RTE turn it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,891 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Everybody is using that "Hill to die on" phrase these days, I cringe when I hear it.

Tbh if a bridge is getting struck repeatedly maybe they could put signs or chains or something at the same height on the approach roads that will make a lot of noise when struck without doing any damage? Or some kind of laser that sets off lights and sirens when something too tall is approaching? Im not a city planner but Im sure its been solved in other countries before now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Thargor wrote: »
    Everybody is using that "Hill to die on" phrase these days, I cringe when I hear it.

Tbh if a bridge is getting struck repeatedly maybe they could put signs or chains or something at the same height on the approach roads that will make a lot of noise when struck without doing any damage? Or some kind of laser that sets off lights and sirens when something too tall is approaching? Im not a city planner but Im sure its been solved in other countries before now.

Chains? That guy suggested poles. So a truck hits the chain or pole and where do they go? Who do they kill?

The driver is at fault for not knowing the height of his vehicle and for ignoring the signs. No one else. Basic trucking would have prevented the situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,891 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Chains? That guy suggested poles. So a truck hits the chain or pole and where do they go? Who do they kill?

The driver is at fault for not knowing the height of his vehicle and for ignoring the signs. No one else. Basic trucking would have prevented the situation.
    Well some kind of noise maker, they're not going to be designed in a way that sends shrapnel flying all over the place, which is better, hitting this or hitting a bridge?

BZeMztj.jpg

Advertisement