Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Just to say, despite all that mention of GDPR being useful for requesting footage. It turns out that may be DB only, you request footage of a BE driver who is either trying to kill you or simply reading a phone and you got damn lucky, it really doesn't matter. That footage and all responses from them disappear once reviewed, I cannot imagine why!?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

Bike lanes might be more dangerous than no lanes at all

Headline could be amended to '****ty painted bike lanes might be more dangerous...'

TL;DR: non-segregated cycle tracks lead to more frequent close passes, as drivers mistake dashed white line for forcefield. Close passes are also more common where there are higher speed limits or parked cars, and bus and SUV drivers are closer passers.

https://cyclingtips.com/2019/04/bike-lanes-might-be-more-dangerous-than-no-lanes-at-all/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Infront of two gardai too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I was stopped on red at that junction on a Dublin Bike a while back and got eaten by the Guard for having my front wheel over the white line, I was coming from Nassau St and heading towards the Green. He left his post, marched over to me and roared at me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

might be posted already
    ewj1978 wrote: »
    posted in another thread. Garda is quite clear on the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

rubadub wrote: »
    might be posted already

"I'm waiting for a tow truck." :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I like the fact there's a car behind him parked partially on the footpath, the rest entirely covering the cycle lane.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I feel like these should be allowed.
    They take people out of cars, buses etc. And they seem safe to me. The look like a hood way to get around. That said I know nothing about them. I see loads of them on my commute, good and bad. I saw one guy taking his little kid to creche on one. The little fella was holding onto his legs at the back having a great time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Yea I cant see what damage they're doing, or what damage they could do that would be more significant than my fat ass hitting someone at 30km/hr on my road bike. I thought there was some EU regulation recently that said these cant be treated the same as motorbikes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

The battle to take back the streets from cars has begun..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,646 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the only issue i think i have with them really is whether they'd be safe hitting a pothole.
    though there is one context in which they could be an issue - someone crossing a road might glance up a road and see what appears to be someone standing, so assumes it's safe to cross, but it could be someone on one of these scooters.
    i certainly did a double take when i first saw one; i was on the bike on griffith avenue in the dark, and saw what i thought was someone standing in the road up ahead of me, but my brain got a little confused when i didn't seem to be approaching them at the rate i'd assumed.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The rear light is also an issue being so low as to be totally useless.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,646 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've seen some with good bright lights, and some with lights as bright as a fairy light on a christmas tree.

ED E wrote: »
    The rear light is also an issue being so low as to be totally useless.

Could always just...buy a light?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yes, but at present the majority don't.

ED E wrote: »
    Yes, but at present the majority don't.

It doesn't make Electric bikes inherently more dangerous than pedal bikes, my bike didn't come with a light, that doesn't make it a deathtrap.

but there's no structure at the back to attach it to. and from what i've seen with cyclists doing it, attaching a light to clothing or a backpack is a very hit and miss affair.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It doesn't make Electric bikes inherently more dangerous than pedal bikes, my bike didn't come with a light, that doesn't make it a deathtrap.

I think they're talking about scooters?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Coming upto a roundabout this morning, car behind me probably could have made it past before the roundabout but held back. We went through the same way, as he passed, I waved a thank you, he rolled down his window and gave a huge wave back. It was a very nice moment in an otherwise dull commute. I wish all commutes had such nice moments.

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    Coming upto a roundabout this morning, car behind me probably could have made it past before the roundabout but held back. We went through the same way, as he passed, I waved a thank you, he rolled down his window and gave a huge wave back. It was a very nice moment in an otherwise dull commute. I wish all commutes had such nice moments.

It's the little things that make a difference.

I've a great big black eye all week, people keep staring at me and it's kinda weird now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

It's the little things that make a difference.

I've a great big black eye all week, people keep staring at me and it's kinda weird now :pac:

Did I miss the report on your fight? How did it go?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

CramCycle wrote: »

One evening during the summer a motorbiker kind of marshalled me for a few hundred metres, as I was thinking wtf he gives me a thumbs up!

Seven Worlds will Collide

daragh_ wrote: »
    Did I miss the report on your fight? How did it go?

Lost in a decision. It was some journey though, the training was amazing and then pure euphoria when walking into the cage. By the time I got in there I felt ready, I had trust in my coaches, the process and the referee to get me the f... out of there if needed. Thankfully it wasn't needed and I landed some nice shots and combos but it wasn't to be this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

but there's no structure at the back to attach it to. and from what i've seen with cyclists doing it, attaching a light to clothing or a backpack is a very hit and miss affair.

Yeah, this are a few issues with electric scooters, as current legislation doesn't really cover them; they're not a bicycle (mechanically propelled or otherwise) and not a car, bus or truck.

If you treat them as a bicycle, they can't pass the current lighting regulations, as there's a minimum height above the ground rear lights have to be, which is about 30cm, IIRC.

On the whole, I'm ok with them being around, provided they're speed limited to about 20km/h, so that they don't make me look bad.

The small wheels, high centre of gravity and rather far forward centre of gravity are also practical issues, but if you keep your speed reasonably low and are careful, I don't see any reason to legislate them out of existence.

what sort of inclines can they cope with?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

One evening during the summer a motorbiker kind of marshalled me for a few hundred metres, as I was thinking wtf he gives me a thumbs up!

A while back I was cycling in the hard shoulder of a main road, car was parked in it so I glanced back to see if there was any traffic so I could overtake it. As I glanced back a truck flashed for me to come out and go past the parked car.

Once I went back into the hard shoulder I saluted the truck and he beeped back - I really appreciated the gesture, I even messaged the truck company giving kudos to the driver!

what sort of inclines can they cope with?
    The hill up to Goatstown is certainly no impediment to them. It's only a mild incline, but it's long-ish, and it doesn't seem to slow them down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,668 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Trying to plan a solo route for a 4.5hr solo spin tomorrow, not as easy as it seems. Club spins on pre planned routes planned by others are way easier!

Advertisement