Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

This is a fascinating comparison of Dutch street design with UK design:

https://robertweetman.wordpress.com/2019/03/19/i-want-my-street-to-be-like-this/

I wonder if the decision making process in local authorities is different in the Netherlands, here it seems so slow, and unwilling to upset anyone with any changes.

Slightly related, I emailed all of my councillors asking their opinion on Bus Connects/cycling infrastructure ahead of the local elections. Depressingly, the only one to reply is a confirmed NIMBY who I've no intention of voting for.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Long shot but does anyone know where to get the cable stoppers for a Caad12 disc where the cables go into the frame from the front end? I fear water seepage, might get some Sugru if I can't find anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭Plastik

CannondaleExperts or CannondaleSpares?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Plastik wrote: »
    CannondaleExperts or CannondaleSpares?

Ta I'll get on these. Never knew about them :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,649 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm sure everyone has seen this, but i think there are a few people here who cycle through drumcondra at times - not sure if they have cameras or not:
    Gardaí have appealed to any witnesses or to anyone who may have dash-cam footage of the incident or who was on Drumcondra Road Lower between 5.45am and 6.15am
    https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2019/0322/1037896-dublin-rta/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Not to make light of such an awful tragedy, which this is, but again there it is, Gardai asking for Dash-cam footage, yet say they can't accept it most of the time when you go to them.

On the accident itself, even without hearing much about it, you could have guessed it was very bad given the various diversions in place and how much traffic ended up on the Ballymun Road and through Phibsborough

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Weepsie wrote: »
    Not to make light of such an awful tragedy, which this is, but again there it is, Gardai asking for Dash-cam footage, yet say they can't accept it most of the time when you go to them.

On the accident itself, even without hearing much about it, you could have guessed it was very bad given the various diversions in place and how much traffic ended up on the Ballymun Road and through Phibsborough

baffles me to have an incident like that on an inner city road, excess of speed and mass driver error

• Registered Users Posts: 8,220 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

manafana wrote: »
    baffles me to have an incident like that on an inner city road, excess of speed and mass driver error

Heart attack/stroke at the wheel?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,649 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

folks, please let's have no speculation on a cause of this incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

Weepsie wrote: »

The dashcam wouldn’t be for use in a criminal trial though. It would be to aid the Dublin County Coroner. So all the usual proofs required to get CCTV admitted are null and void

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Half the club in the next two weeks...

it's great to see how much of an impact trek's 'biggest development in cycling in 30 years' has made. something to do with bike helmets, i think?

Watching highlights of Grand Prix de Denain from today on Eurosport here, not a race I've seen before but wow!!!!!

Think Shay Elliot won this one ? Actually just as I type Quigley confirms it on commentary.

EDIT: One of the most impressive wins I've seen for a while, especially given the crashes earlier in the week and a few astana wins the week before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Watching highlights of Grand Prix de Denain from today on Eurosport here, not a race I've seen before but wow!!!!!

Think Shay Elliot won this one ? Actually just as I type Quigley confirms it on commentary.

EDIT: One of the most impressive wins I've seen for a while, especially given the crashes earlier in the week and a few astana wins the week before.

Yeah think its only been on local french tv, seems this yr they expanded to get eurosport rights, as iv not seen any french race with cobbles like this before on tv

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Kudos to a Dublin Bus driver on the 33 tonight. On seeing me pulling over to the side of the road outside Rush, he stopped to see if I was ok. I was only changing over the rear lights but the gesture was appreciated.

(I initially thought he was stopping to give out about something! :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,220 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Kudos to a Dublin Bus driver on the 33 tonight. On seeing me pulling over to the side of the road outside Rush, he stopped to see if I was ok. I was only changing over the rear lights but the gesture was appreciated.

(I initially thought he was stopping to give out about something! :o)

The driver is obviously a cyclist?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

07Lapierre wrote: »
    The driver is obviously a cyclist?
    Maybe not, I know alot of the posts here are giving out but some are just decent people

not surprising, but interesting news.

Time for a change: MEPs vote to scrap daylight savings time
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/time-for-a-change-meps-vote-to-scrap-daylight-savings-time-1.3839008

it has to be ratified individually by the various states now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

And the decision is still left to each state as to what time they want to stick with, winter or summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I vote for us to use CET and be an hour ahead of post-Brexit London...

If Spain can do it...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Daroxtar wrote: »
    I had to stop reading as my eyes were watering!

I presume the old Brooks B17 wouldn't cut the mustard there!

Jesus what did I just read. Ouch!!!!!

I do however love the English's use of the word 'foof' for describing that particular part of their body.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Nice piece about cycling in Eritrea - some great pics

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-47709673

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

All new cars could be fitted with special devices from 2022 to automatically make them keep to the speed limit after new EU rules were provisionally agreed.

Road safety charity Brake described it as a “landmark day for road safety,” but the AA said the “best speed limiter is the driver’s right foot”.

“Dodgem cars are all fitted with speed limiters but they still seem to crash.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/all-new-cars-could-be-fitted-with-speed-limiters-under-eu-plans-1.3840046

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

buffalo wrote: »

People have demonstrated that they can’t be trusted to self regulate their speed. No one can honestly say that they have never broken the speed limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I had to stop reading as my eyes were watering!

I presume the old Brooks B17 wouldn't cut the mustard there!

Whatever about Foof, I've never heard it called The Mustard before :D

Christ the stuff you find online while waiting for the baby to wake up and remember she's still got half a boppy to go

I never knew this race existed, more info here http://www.thebikecomesfirst.com/archive-footage-of-the-1936-dublin-drogheda-dublin-race-video/

My brain has kicked into if the race was run today what route would it take. I came across some aerial photography from the time from the defence forces which led me down this rabbit hole and roads that exist now just weren't there back then.

Does anyone have link with more history of the race ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Story in the Irish Times this morning: Cairn gets go-ahead for 107 Dublin apartments instead of 22 house

Existing residents of earlier phases of the development not happy:
    Residents were particularly concerned that, at less than one per unit, the number of parking spaces suggested the entire scheme might be sold to an investor as build-to-rent.

You want more traffic? Ummm, OK....

Advertisement