Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Surely this is excellent news for Dublin and the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I don't understand why so many parking spaces are expected in Dublin developments these days. There should be very few provided to encourage people to use sustainable transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

There's a longer version of that footage around somewhere. It shows them going out through Balbriggan, Gormanston etc.
    The narrator describes the competitors setting on from Nelson’s Pillar (or Neilson’s Pillar as he calls it) and as can be seen, it was a handicapped race back then also. The race in the film is named Dublin-Drogheda, but it’s not clear as to whether this was a mistake or if it did actually finish in Drogheda at the time, rather than returning to Dublin.
    The link describes it as Dublin-Drogheda-Dublin but in the other footage I've seen, they are clearly finishing at Shop Street in Drogheda and the cup is presented by the Mayor of Drogheda.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Christ the stuff you find online while waiting for the baby to wake up and remember she's still got half a boppy to go

I never knew this race existed, more info here http://www.thebikecomesfirst.com/archive-footage-of-the-1936-dublin-drogheda-dublin-race-video/

My brain has kicked into if the race was run today what route would it take. I came across some aerial photography from the time from the defence forces which led me down this rabbit hole and roads that exist now just weren't there back then.

Does anyone have link with more history of the race ?

I was 3rd in Dublin-Drogheda-Dublin on Patrick's Day in 1992 or 1993. The race was always on Patrick's Day and held in the morning.
    I was a vet and I was in the limit group. We weren't caught. Two juniors slipped away at Kilmoone X and they stayed away. I won sprint for 3rd. At that time, The race started on the North Road, Finglas(N2) It went through Ashbourne to Kilmoone X and turned right towards Duleek, then it turned right at the top of Plattin hill, right again and left at bottom of Plattin onto Kilmoone. The race finished at a pub on the N2 north of Finglas (it might have been the Brock Inn)
    Before my time racing, the race used come into Drogheda and turn at Marion Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I was just thinking about that race as I passed the Brock Inn on the way home after a 200km Audax a couple of weeks ago.

I rode it in my first year racing in UCD back in 1995. The women's race went from the gun. I got dropped on the way into Duleek and found my own way back to the pub. I was an awful racer but I'm good at distance.

• Advertisement

More kindness from strangers tonight!

My crank became loose on the way home from work tonight on an unlit section of the R127. I walked a few hundred metres to the nearest street light to fix it. While doing so a motorist who had passed, turned back and offered me a lift. I didn't need it but really appreciate the offer.

One of these days someone will stop and offer you sweets to get in their car WA will you resist then ??? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

That's, last 'official' training session done for the fight. I'm the lightest and fittest I've ever been and ready for the cage door to be locked behind me.

The fun part? Next week is 'rest' and light cardio, things I'm used to and I'm off from Tuesday so some cycling is in order then at the weekend I shall be having a victory pint!

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Puggy

Wishbone Ash, Next ones gonna be a serial killer...

Puggy wrote: »
    Wishbone Ash, Next ones gonna be a serial killer...
    Yea, probably at the back end of a mountain in Wicklow! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Barrow way, CX bike, yay or nay?

Clocks going forward tonight, yay for evening spins!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

ED E: yay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

ED E wrote: »
    Barrow way, CX bike, yay or nay?

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057967507/1/#post109784237

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

• Eamonnator, what is a boppy?
    • +1 for apartments and houses being built; personally I'd knock most of those gigantic 19th-century Church Triumphant churches (keeping the frontage of any pretty ones) and build high-rise (with lots of secure bicycle parking) on the sites.
    • I've just realised to my horror :eek: that my favourite recreational/calming cycle, along the Dodder from Ringsend to Rathmines, follows the exact route of Cromwell's lieutenant Michael Jones's crowd of murderers as they invaded Dublin. Arr. Bad blood will out.

Rechuchote wrote: »
    • Eamonnator, what is a boppy?
    • +1 for apartments and houses being built; personally I'd knock most of those gigantic 19th-century Church Triumphant churches (keeping the frontage of any pretty ones) and build high-rise (with lots of secure bicycle parking) on the sites.
    • I've just realised to my horror :eek: that my favourite recreational/calming cycle, along the Dodder from Ringsend to Rathmines, follows the exact route of Cromwell's lieutenant Michael Jones's crowd of murderers as they invaded Dublin. Arr. Bad blood will out.

I have no idea.
    Maybe slang for something, bottle perhaps!
    Not a word, Ive ever used.

Oh, sorry, it was Enfilade. Enfilade, what's a boppy?

Its parent talk to a child for a bottle.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Its parent talk to a child for a bottle.

As a parent of two and grandparent of two, I'm delighted to say that I have never uttered the word boppy

Yeah thats what the eldest calls the baby's bottle.

I've an entire baby related vocabulary, but you'll be relieved to know a bike is still called a bike :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,575 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my niece and nephews were brought up with it known as a 'bopsy'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I've heard them referred to as 'bawbee' :D

Seven Worlds will Collide

Eamonnator wrote: »
    As a parent of two and grandparent of two, I'm delighted to say that I have never uttered the word boppy

Neither have I but I have heard it uttered. We won't go into the apparent buzzkill I am for pointing out how stupid it sounds to others in my life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,575 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I've heard them referred to as 'bawbee' :D
    not too far from what i've heard police cars/ambulances referred to by/for children.

Gent-Wevelgem was some race today. Not how I thought I'd see that play out.

Last stage of Catalunya didn't disappoint either. They need to make that stage a one day race on the pro calendar separate to the tour or has that Barcelona stage been a one day race at some point over the years outside the worlds?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

April's off to a bad start, a couple of cherry tomatoes escaped from my lunch stash and made their way down to the bottom of my pannier and smushed themselves against anything they could reach on the way before completely disintegrating. :(

aw, buffalo popped his cherry.

I'm off for a ride on my bippy. You bet your sweet bippy I am.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Not as bad as banana mashed with toothpaste.

Advertisement