Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Actually on the subject of band members being into bikes, Duff McCKagan formerly of GnR is big into mountain biking - used it as an outlet to help overcome alcoholism if I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,918 ✭✭✭cletus

Understandable. They both have huge heads 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭ARX

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Pedal lights. Biomotion like pedal reflectors but brighter. I remember someone discussing this concept years ago. I suspect it won't take off (though unlike many conspicuity aids, I'd say they would make some difference), but you never know:

https://redshiftsports.com/products/arclight-pedals

When I saw them the first thing I thought was they would be a pain as you'd have to check every time the peddles were facing the right way but the lights can detect that and change colour. Pricey but not beyond what I'd be willing to spend on good lights. I don't like the peddles themselves though, don't look to be overly grippy do they??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,971 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I just don't see what it does that any decent lights don't already do. Yes they move but if you have decent regular bike lights on and a car hits you then it wasn't really visibility was the problem.

I suppose one good thing is scobes can't rob your lights as easy.

Biomotion seems to be more attention-grabbing than static or even flashing lights. Human brain seems to zero in on biomotion in a busy background.

I'm getting a bit tired of the things I already have to charge, and I have a system I'm happy with, but I suspect they would add a lot of conspicuity for a relatively small power output.

Another problem for me is that they' be partially blocked at the rear on one of my bikes by the pannier on the rear rack, and the Brompton has one dedicated folding pedal, so they're not ideal for that either. And the front lights would be obscure by the box on the bakfiets. So they wouldn't really suit any of my bikes very well.

Na if a car hits a bike with a full set of normal lights then they can fk off blaming the lack of biomotion and the human brain. They are just dangerous drivers who purposely didn't do things correctly.

The attraction for me is that you could have a much more modest set of the legally required fixed lights on the bike, possibly ones you'd just leave on the bike.

I've a feeling they won't be a success anyway, as they're a bit pricey to begin with.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,802 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i don't think it's as binary as 'once you have lights, you're covered'. As above, you don't need to necessarily supplement your lights with these, you could use these as your primary lights. Apart from the biomotion argument, my limited experience of seeing the reflection of bike lights off other surfaces can be more eye catching - i.e. it's not a small point source you're seeing, and on wet nights where drivers are dealing with beading rain on the windscreen, i suspect a diffuse source of light won't hurt.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,802 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

interesting how much of this is based around transport:

Piece about a local man I see out and about all over the place on his bike. I've seen him affectionately referred to as 'wheels' on social media. I got a laugh from the bit about a chipper offering to pay him to have their details on his hi-vis vest 😂

The vest he's pictured in is deffo new, as the previous yellow one was so faded it was almost white given the use it got.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

as i have mentioned before, with a wife who has a horse; bike costs are like a candle in the wind compared to that. i could replace my good bike two or three times a year for what a horse costs to own (and that doesn't even include the purchase price of the horse, which has gone nuts)

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Never accept a present with a mouth.

Words spoken by a friend who owned n=n+1 horses.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

F* me, one driver turned across me in Ranelagh (to pull into a Blue badge space as going into the SuperValu car park was to much effort. They were indicating right and as I passed gave up and pulled left into the space slightly further up the road. Only I shoulted and swerved left I was under their wheels. Gave me a look of, WTF are you whinging about. Next followed by a work van that was technically not in the cycle lane but was riding the line of the lane. Finished off with an intentional punishment pass near stepaside. So close that my elbow touched his car as he swerved in (empty road by the way). The last one was particularly sh1t as its just luck/experience I didn't fall, most riders would have been on the ground picking asphalt out of their face. I f*cking hate Dublin.

Also my new hatred are ID3 and ID4 drivers, it is as if the world outside their cars does not exist, Tesla drivers are only better because they are terrified of damaging their investment that seems to be modelled on putting a 32inch TV inside a Ford Sierra Sapphire from the 1990s.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

^^^^^^^^

You're being very unfair on Ford Sierra Sapphires there. Shame on you.

Indeed I am, it is of course far closer to a mid 90s Ford Mondeo, apologies to all fans of the Sierra Sapphire.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Sierra Sapphire was an awesome car Cram.

I feel your pain, it's not getting any better in Dublin at least. As if the constant negative media coverage of "cyclists" is incensing a chunk of motorists into effectively acting out when they see cyclists (or refuse to see cyclists).

I've given up commuting by bicycle it was getting so stressful. All cycling is now restricted to off-peak periods or weekends only.

in 'old ford' news, i passed a northern reg XR3i while out in the car about half an hour ago.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Heading towards town, going by Vincent's on the rock road, lights green for straight ahead, and an English reg passat guns it right into the spot I'd be in if I didn't slow down. I shouted 'jesus's at it and he shook his arm at me in anger. I was shook.

For reference it was bright, and my legs are so pale they reflect the sun.

Total lack of empathy out there. It seems to be getting worse, but I'm more nervous since the crash. Why can't we just be nice to each other!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,967 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

"it also will suggest the route along the coast past the swannery, large sections of which are not suitable for bikes and inaccessible except near low tide anyway"

Just in relation to the above bit, I wouldn't say it's 'unsuitable' as such as it's a pleasant off road piece. I usually tackle the path above the edge of the sea with my left foot unclipped and push myself along with it. I've seen lads properly cycling along there but I be afraid of falling into the water. It can still be done at high tide - when you turn right after the gate into a house, you have to get off the bike and carry it along the wall for a few meters. The road then brings you out at Jones Garden Centre. The second section (which brings you out at Kilcrea) can only be done at low tide and even then involves a bit of a slog along a pebbled beach.

Regarding the route in your Google maps, I'm open to correction but I vaguely recall that being used as an access road during the construction of the motorway and Broadmeadows bridge. Perhaps that why it is appearing on Google Maps.

The UK local elections this year have thrown up a subplot of a number of candidates running as anti- LTN (low traffic neighbourhood). Basically what the UK called the pedestrian and cycle friendly initiatives during Covid.

It seems they have over estimated their support quite a bit

You can walk around the buttresses - I've done it quite a few times.

You must have been horsing it if you managed to pass a norn iron XR3i.

My brother had a beautiful red one back in the day. He changed car and put it up for sale but was never happy with the offers he got and sadly let it rot into the ground.

it's easy to pass a parked car!

you've probably seen the quattro up on bricks south of ballyboughal? on the left hand side as you head south.

• Advertisement

Advertisement