Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

Because when meeting a driver head-on, we have good visibility and sensible expectations of how they're going to behave - continue in a straight line on their side of the road. If something dangerous happens, it's easy to see and act quickly. An overtake is hard to predict, and therefore hard to compensate for. You don't know how closely the driver is going to pass you until it happens.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Driving on the apex would be more akin to following a racing line and will only serve to encourage speeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

He's talking about cutting the corners isn't he?

Thaking a straight line through a left and a right.

Not exactly something to teach on a lesson.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,531 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

22:10 in - they tackle the question whether e-bikes can be responsible for lower CO2 emissions than analogue bikes.

the answer seems to be 'yes no maybe possibly'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Is it possible to edit a Strava segment that one has created? I've tried looking around for edit tools but can't see any. I know I could simply create another one but if I do that, can I delete the original one?

(Basically, due to a road realignment, I'm not 'hitting' a segment that I cross very regularly. I need to shorten it slightly).

Thanks.

I think you have to create a new segment as I don't think you can edit someone else's segment.

Ah ok. I think it is only on the website and not the app...

https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/216918257-Edit-or-Delete-your-Segment

Disregard my last two posts. It appears that I didn't create the segment after all (even though I would have put my house on that I did!)

There is an EDIT function on self created segments. Apologies - thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ARX

In an ever-changing world, you can rely on the Decathlon website to absolutely suck.

EDIT: It appears that they are still trading in Russia:

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058237522/decathlon-still-operating-in-russia

Post edited by ARX on

I see the paywall has kicked in on Cyclingnews.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,217 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

It seems to be on and off. Tells me from time to time I've reached my max number of articles but hard to tell when or if they just make it free for a while. Also impossible to find how much it costs beyond the reduced price for the first month

€59 for the year I think it was. Seems to be the way of it for a lot of places now. They don't seem to be able to do it with advertising alone. I'm sure some would get that kind of value form their content but most days I skim the headlines there. There's also a problem sites are going to have in terms of going the subscription route in terms of how many subscriptions are people willing to have ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,531 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if there was some centralised account (google, i guess would be the obvious choice) where it could charge you say 10c for reading an article; rather than stumping up 60 quid up front, i suspect that could work a lot better.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I could live with that and it works really well for other subscription services like itunes. I'd prefer that for my TV subs as well, makes me think of this cartoon:

Average band on spotify makes .002c a click (30seconds) assuming they are not paying for promotion or being paid to be there. I still get royalty cheques for a few euro every year for something I played on 25 years ago. Streaming services are one thing and have value long after the content is produced but for news services the content is good for little more than that day or a week at best?

That said do the math on making 1c off of Spotify/ Apple etc.

spring forward this weekend. bring it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

There's now a Boardsie on the Board of Cycling Ireland, me. I've been co-opted onto the Board and nominated by Cycling Leinster. I've been a racer, an Audax organiser, a bystander at races, tea maker, marshal, committee member, commuter, parent of a cyclist, and participant.

I'm here for sustainable cycling for all of us, whether it's going down the shops for milk or cycling 1,200km in five days. If we want change we have to turn up for the politics not just the cycling.

I'm on the Board until the AGM. The final details will be made clear over the next few days.

• Advertisement

congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

My work lol. I've an uncle who was .. is involved in the country music scene here for decades at this stage and would have worked with them all. As a young fella in the mid - late 90's I'd have been in bands like loads of us were back then covering songs. When he wasn't touring he was playing weddings etc locally and I'd have played with them for the bobs which were decent even then. Anyway in 1998 I recorded bass for 5 tracks and did a 10 venue tour with someone he was working with as they needed someone and sure why not me? Fast forward to 2021 I get a cheque for 71c because LMFM and some other radio stations play the songs still 🤣

I've only started playing again in recent times, I completely fell out of love with playing music for close to 15 years, now I enjoy playing along to some old songs I know and learning some new ones.

Ah ok. Country - I presumed that it was metal given your postings in the Now Listening To thread

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ARX

Ever noticed that Metallica's Whiplash can be sung as a C&W song?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,113 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Irish Indo have a monthly cycling section, it's in today's paper. Also some of the content available online- https://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/cycling/icycle/

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

How safe is leaving your bike parked on the street around the IFSC these days? I presume it is pretty quiet compared to pre covid times? Are there bike lockers or a car park with bike stands around would anyone know?

My bike is not an obvious target and I have a good lock but would prefer to able to cycle home again rather than walk!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

There's bike stands within view of the security guard hut in the national college of Ireland carpark. The staff and students have a cage. I used to work there and the stands down the very back used to be targeted. Now just because they're in view, doesn't mean much though. A car could of course block the view.

I would never park a bike I liked on the street for any length of time (popping into a shop type thing aside). I've even seen videos of people stealing saddles from bikes. Bear in mind that the presence of other people around is absolutely no deterrent to thieving scum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

The CCD car park might be a better shout, I think they’ve racks beside the lifts and it’s a lot more secure than NCI I think

Advertisement