Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the mission I was given by my cycling buddy is come up with a Dublin to Poulaphouca route not going by the Sally Gap, Im familiar enough with Valleymount back to dublin but not cycled out to Blessington before, Ive only ever approached it from Glendalough or Sallygap. Any tweaks? or good enough?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It would depend on why they want to avoid Sally Gap - are they against hills? If so, follwing the N81 is possibly the flattest but you've the traffic for most of it.

Depending on how they want to leave the city, they could also head out towards Lucan or Saggart and make their way over the Saggart & Kilteel hills there. The route you have crosses Ballinascorney which is a good climb.

If you are just wanting an alternative to Sally gap, you could travel up Military Rd and take a right turn at Featherbeds and go past Bohernabreena...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭Enduro

If not avoiding hills, but looking for them then you can turn left at stone cross near the top of Bohernabreena and continue climbing, then descend past Kilbride firing range. For a bit less climb than that, but still more off-piste, take the next left turn at the bottom of the descent from Bohernabreena. Both those lead you onto the road from Manor Kilbride to the Sally Gap.

Also, possibly the most spectacular way to approach the Poulaphouca is to take the really quite road around the back of Sorrel Hil (left turn after going down and up past Ballysmutten bridge). A long steady climb is rewarded with a blast of a descent with epic views out over the lake (presuming the weather plays ball).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

fitness restrictions ~100km with moderate climbs is about where we are at, aim to peak around july, I posted in the Ballysmuttan Bridge for future reference, not taken that turn before, cheers

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Advertisement

Haven't been out that way in a while but many here ride out around the Naul. Miracle this didn't end up worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,014 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

People won't be happy to see them gallop 2 abreast. Fair play to them for knowing the right side of the road though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,823 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i once found a horse loose on the road very near ballyboughal. thankfully a very friendly and chilled horse; called into a nearby house and the teenage daughter of the owner happily headed off to get it to safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭devonp

on my commute home y'day some gardai at checkpoints/stops in the PP..?? not stopped and lots of tents to the left of the Kyber as i ascended ...?? whats that about ??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Day 3 of my food poisoning diet, quite under hydrated, but that is the quickest I have shed 4kg (conservatively) in my life. The mere sensation of liquid crossing my lips for hydration has me doing parkour through the house to get to the bathroom in time. Mild ketoacidosis due to the diabetes, and solidifiers, for want of a better word, have nothing to solidify so just make me feel worse.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Chased off someone trying to steal a bike earlier. Now the owner has shown up and can't get lock off as it's twisted.

Anyone in city with bolt cutters

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Ask the Gardai?

They told him to get a locksmith the lock is mangled so won't open

Gardai said ring fire brigade , fire brigade said they can't do it without the gardai being there. Great little country

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,823 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is it within range of a plug? an angle grinder would sort it quickly.

They came in the end

Where's a scrote with a stolen Lidl grinder when you need one eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

DFB are protecting themselves. It's been that way as long as I can remember. If Gardai not there they may be guilty of abetting a theft.

I know, but it shouldn't be a case of the gardai telling him to ring the fire brigade as they won't come out until theirs a garda there. Like they're understaffed and bigger fish, but it's a 10 min job.

Obviously better police presence and deterence for the scrotes who do it in the first place is the answer.

I work in the city centre, and while parts of it are vaguely normal and full of life again, lots of it is just a cesspit now and it's not getting any better any soon. It's not a very welcoming city

i don't have an issue with the DFB not coming out, they're a rescue service. if they are to attend a non-emergency like that, they usually charge, don't they?

should just be a case of arranging a way to get the lock open and the gardai sending a garda on his or her beat along for the few seconds it takes to get the lock open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cletus

Why is a garda required at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cletus

How does that work? Do you just tell the Garda it's your bike? If you have actual proof it's yours, surely just burst on and cut the lock off, if a Garda happens along and stops you, show the proof then

Letting them know before is a sign of good faith and I assume they will believe anyone who doesn't look like a complete scobe

Oh yeah and the guy was entirely embarrassed by it all.

I'm slightly impressed the scrotew maneged to destroy the lock in such a way that the only way it could be unlocked was cutting it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,849 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

it was probably posted here, but there was a tweet which went slightly viral recently along the lines of 'tell us your partner is a cyclist without telling us your partner is a cyclist', and one of the responses was 'he always knows which way the wind is blowing and when rain is due to arrive'.

anyway, on that note - i see met.ie has been updated, and has a minor but welcome tweak; a percentage calculation of likelihood of rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I noticed that Met Éireann update yesterday. It's definitely an improvement - not that there was much wrong with the previous version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,751 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I have a double fascination with when it's going to rain: the cycling, as already mentioned, but also I do the laundry in our house, and rely on the rotary clothes line in the garden.

Advertisement