Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

Looking now a 6 year old covering 223km in 11 and a half hours according to the tracker on the gofundme ???? No he's in a trailer or on bike seat if there is a child.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,537 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i asume that's just google's calculation for the time taken to cycle from galway to dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

"I am 6 years old, and this week I am cycling across Ireland"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Hopefully this is the right place to ask... Looking at getting a cycling computer and want to get some feedback on a simple €30-50 speed sensor on the wheel device VS an entry level GPS equipped device like an edge 130 (or 530 tops)

Is there much difference between them in terms of accuracy for current speed etc?

Usually do a 24km round trip commute twice a week and at least a 40km cycle on the weekend which I hope to steadily increase. I also want to do some light touring/bikepacking around Ireland in the future.

Currently track my rides with a GPS fitness band and use my phone for navigation. But would like some thing to show current speed etc in my line of sight. Really like the look of the Cateye Quick for simplicity!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I hate to be a cynical bastard but even over the course of a week, it seems like over 30km a day is a hell of a lot for a 6 year old to do.

At the end of the day it should be something fun for the little fella and not a massive slog at his age, just hope this isn’t the idea of an overzealous parent.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The speed sensor, if its one of the old school ones with a magnet on the wheel will be dependent on the tyre size and pressure, so could be accurate and precise, might be just precise, might be just accurate. A GPS unit, once the distances are not short overcomes all of these issues. If it was me, that woudl be my preference, you will no longer need the fitness band and if its got mapping, you will probably get away without your phone as well in many scenarios.

The real question is what is your acceptable budget, that will deine what you should get rather than what is better.

That is a good question. I suppose my main concern at the moment is not wanting to splash out €300 for an Edge 530 which will give me all the features I think I will want i.e. GPS tracking, Strava connectivity, proper navigation with detailed maps etc and a display to monitor all my current ride details. Not really interested in power meters or other connections.

Getting a cheap computer that just does speed, distance and time will fill a gap in my current set up until I decide to make the leap to a proper computer/navigation unit.

The Edge 130 seems like a decent little unit that does most of what I want for a not insane price but it does seem like something that I will replace eventually so I'm hesitant to spend the €150 ish on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭cletus

I got my wife the 130 for her birthday. She loves it. She combines it with her Vivoctive 3 for HR reading. The only thing it doesn't do is full maps, but that doesn't bother her.

I have the 520+, but I got that specifically for the mapping.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,537 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i don't know if they're still available, but i have a garmin edge 25 bought years ago for €45 in lidl and it's absolutely fine. i don't really need the mapping, i can get that on my phone when necessary.

How is the 520? There is one on adverts for €100

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I'm using a Cateye Velo + wireless for very similar cycling to you and I think it's perfect. All I really want is current/max/average speed, distance and time. I would have no issues with accuracy on any magnetic odometer I've used.

I have the 520 plus. The main difference between that and the 520 is navigation. I specifically got the 520 plus so I would have full map navigation as opposed to breadcrumb mapping

Yes, I should have said there is a 520+ on adverts for €100. Looked at a few reviews, seems like what I would want form the 530 but for a lot cheaper. Considering I was thinking about the Edge 130 for €150 I went ahead and made an offer

Managed to bag myself a 1998 Mapei jersey for €15 in a vintage shop yesterday 😍

an online shop?

If your asking about my purchase then no. I've seen those knockoff kits online but this is genuine Sportful. This was bought in a real shop.

I was just curious about where you'd found a shop selling vintage cycling gear, whether it was blind luck or if they were a stop dedicated to it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The kilo vintage shop place in Smithfield had a load of classic cycling jerseys about 2 years ago.

Just blind luck I'd say

There is this long running clothes shop in Limerick famous with the goths and Emos that I've noticed recently has a bit of sports gear too. I think it's cause the hipsters are into the retro sports style.Got a Reynolds fleece jacket for 15 there too.

There is a cycling/fishing shop in Ennis that has a big stock of old FdJ, Confidis, Kelme an Movistar from 10/15 years ago but you'll pay about 50 for a jersey. I got a 2nd season FdJ kit from them recently

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Which shop? I've seen them and gotten stuff in the kilo sale place in Smithfield/ temple bar, is there another spot?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It was the Smithfield one, now over 2 years ago as it was the last time I was there.

was out around donabate direction on the cliff walk earlier, and kinda bemused to see bleeper bikes in portrane; that area of land is a weird little cycling island (well, maybe more a lake than an island); you don't see many people cycling out that way as the only two access roads - hearse road and turvey avenue are either not pleasant to cycle to or cycle along. i wonder how many people on bikes you see out there never make it out past the old M1.

any other areas that are 'cut off' from occasional cyclists in a similar way?

also, if you try to get google maps to plot a cycling route from malahide to donabate, this is one of the sections suggested:

that turn left just after you pass under the motorway is through the set of gates on the left here; very obviously private. is there a way to flag suggestions as erroneous? it also will suggest the route along the coast past the swannery, large sections of which are not suitable for bikes and inaccessible except near low tide anyway.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4668192,-6.2023371,3a,75y,34.51h,78.89t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sTh9ljylRAMUvMko3chr2eQ!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DTh9ljylRAMUvMko3chr2eQ%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D29.8651%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

Interesting interaction this morning - coming to a T-junction on my bike to turn right, onto the main road. There's a cycle lane on the footpath on main road, but no lines across my side road. Nonetheless, being aware of a woman trying to cross from one side with a pram, and three approaching schoolchildren on bikes from the other side, I stopped where I imagined the cycle lane lines would be - forcing the driver of the large SUV behind me to stop as well.

All four of them waved their thanks in the direction of the driver?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭hesker

Coming into work this morning on a slight downhill and sharpish bend to the left I was keeping a tight line and clipping along. Half way through the bend I was confronted with a fox coming straight at me right on my line.

Had just enough time to swerve out by him and thankfully he didn’t bolt across me.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ARX

It's like when there's a parked car on your side of the road so you stop to let a car coming in the opposite direction pass. You usually get the wave of thanks from the driver if you're driving a car, but almost never if you're on a bike. Weird.

Be Quiet and Cycle @Seth Brundle will get this one I think.

Chino's a bit of a fan of bikes...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

In my day, bands were into skateboarding. They were too poor to be able to afford bikes. 😁

In the photo Enfilade posted, I had to do a double take as for a split second I thought it was David O'Doherty.

Advertisement