Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭cletus

That ad is brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Another example of our car centric culture. I was walking past a GP surgery near me and they have a sign up - "All patients must remain in their cars until called".

Another example of our car centric culture. I was walking past a GP surgery near me and they have a sign up - "All patients must remain in their cars until called".

Reminds me of this one from a few weeks back in Wales.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/man-left-fuming-after-being-20270930

I went through the 'drive thru' in McDonald's in Santry on the way home from a Boards Evil ride a few years ago. I got some funny looks but they served me all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I went through the 'drive thru' in McDonald's in Santry on the way home from a Boards Evil ride a few years ago. I got some funny looks but they served me all the same.

The one near me has sign saying no cyclists, however I can rock through on my motorbike. It does also have a sign saying no sulkies..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The one near me has sign saying no cyclists
    Why? What do they think would happen? Or is it because their drinks container doesn't fit in the bottle cage?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭ARX

Why? What do they think would happen? Or is it because their drinks container doesn't fit in the bottle cage?
    Elfin safety. The excuse of yesteryear, before GDPR.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I need new bar tape on my commuter, any other colours that go well on a white bike besides black again?

gNcyrr7.jpg

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Light blue to match the bits on the bike?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,418 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Blue or white with a saddle to match

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Would fluorescent orange be hideous on it do you think?

EDIT: Might give this blue/black a try actually:

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-essential-bar-tape

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭cletus

Thargor wrote: »
    Would fluorescent orange be hideous on it do you think?

EDIT: Might give this blue/black a try actually:

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-essential-bar-tape

I think that blue looks too dark.

If it was me, I'd go with the orange, but I love orange, so...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

orange bar tap FTW.

was talking to one of the stewards at the swords CC race earlier out at kilcoscan. mentioned i'd pass their TT going from fieldstown farm up to garristown last week. my best *down* that hill (it's about 1% drop over 9km) is about 36km/h. last week the lad who won did it uphill at about 42km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

https://bartape.ie/collections/dark-blue/products/white-handlebar-tape-with-blue-drops

+1 on the white saddle - otherwise I'd leave the tape black - just my 2c. Ultimately just get whatever you like the look of.

Bar-Tape.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,418 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

crosstownk wrote: »
    https://bartape.ie/collections/dark-blue/products/white-handlebar-tape-with-blue-drops

+1 on the white saddle - otherwise I'd leave the tape black - just my 2c. Ultimately just get whatever you like the look of.

Bar-Tape.jpg

Perfect

how long do people find the pads in their bike helmets last? i bought a new helmet in july last year and the pad started to come apart about two months ago.

how long do people find the pads in their bike helmets last? i bought a new helmet in july last year and the pad started to come apart about two months ago.
    They tend to deteriorate when washed often in my experience. The ones in my commuter helmet didn't last very long so I 'replaced' them by wearing a cap.

i never 'wash' them as such, just rinse them with clean water.

.... I 'replaced' them by wearing a cap.

Same here. I wear a cap/casquette under my helmet in all weathers. It keeps sweat from dripping, fends off rain and helps in strong sunlight.

In summer I just wash them with the rest of my kit after each ride. In winter I wash them every two or three rides as I don't sweat as much.

• Advertisement

Whats wearing on them MB the pads, the velcro or both? Wear on the pads would suggest ....washing for one but also friction while on your head maybe?

EDIT: Reason I ask is I'd a Met that was ever so slightly looser on the head even though the same size as my Giro bought at the same time that needed new pads after 8 months I put down to the micro movements when I was riding both treated the same in terms of care. Quality of pads to me looked the same.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Your meant to wash them? My current helmet was bought many years ago and Ive never washed them. I have no shame though so don't use me as a metric, pads are still in good nick though.

they're coming apart. there's a thin fabric stuck to a foam centre, and the fabric is coming away. i guess sweat and pressure, and given they can't be *too* robust because they need to be soft mean they've a limited lifespan.

also, i've a stupidly warm head, so the idea of wearing a extra layer on it is not one i gravitate towards easily.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Your meant to wash them?

Yeah. They start to smell of stale sweat - nobody wants that.

also, i've a stupidly warm head, so the idea of wearing a extra layer on it is not one i gravitate towards easily.

A decent casquette will wick properly like most other items of quality clothing and shouldn't make your hot head any hotter.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Your meant to wash them?
    generally, when the white crust of salt becomes too obvious on my helmet, i rinse it in the shower.

that just sounds wrong.

crosstownk wrote: »
    A decent casquette will wick properly like most other items of quality clothing and shouldn't make your hot head any hotter.
    any recommendations?

any recommendations?

I use Assos, Castelli, Oakley, Sportful. All work well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

generally, when the white crust of salt becomes too obvious on my helmet, i rinse it in the shower.

that just sounds wrong.
    Sounds like a scene from Red Dwarf

• Advertisement

... i've a stupidly warm head, so the idea of wearing a extra layer on it is not one i gravitate towards easily.
    I'm in the same boat - my head never gets cold so I'd rarely wear a cap other than commuting. I probably only wash the helmet pads every 10 rides or so. I don't think 'rinsing' them is effective - they need a proper wash.

Other lads tell me that they put the helmet in a chest freezer overnight and that the low temp kills any bacteria. (I don't have one so can't comment).

Advertisement