Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

....I always walked the bike through them on the rear wheel with the front in the air :confused:
    That seems very awkward and not possible with full mudguard. In the scenario above, I'd just simply lift the bike over the gate to the right. People seem to love making life difficult for themselves.

BTW - that scrambler is a miniature version. You wouldn't get a normal sized one through. I actually thought their purpose was to prevent horses/livestock from entering as the gate can't be left 'open'.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

When I'm on the cargo bike I just have to accept that that most of these pleasant, green cycleways are unusable.

BTW - that scrambler is a miniature version. You wouldn't get a normal sized one through. I actually thought their purpose was to prevent horses/livestock from entering as the gate can't be left 'open'.

They don't appear to stop scramblers at all. They do slow them down at the location.

They were invented to be a barrier to livestock, but that's not why they're installed all around Dublin.

DLR co. council have removed quite a few of them this year, because so many pram-, wheelchair users and cyclists complain about them.

People with child trailers and tag-alongs can't get through them either. Some people with mobility problems can cycle but can't lift a bike or wrestle it through a small space.

On balance, they almost certainly cause more problems than they solve.

That seems very awkward and not possible with full mudguard.

Yeah, doesn't work with my tourer. Or cargo bike, obviously. Or some of the other set-ups I've already mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

tomasrojo wrote: »
    They don't appear to stop scramblers at all. They do slow them down at the location.

They were invented to be a barrier to livestock, but that's not why they're installed all around Dublin.

DLR co. council have removed quite a few of them this year, because so many pram-, wheelchair users and cyclists complain about them.

Fingal have removed them on the canal after ashington. DCC in their infinite wisdom have left them on from ashington into town.

I normally lift the bike over, but some of my bikes are very heavy touring yokes so not always straightforward

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Scrambler aside is that how people negotiate a kissing gate with a bike?

I always walked the bike through them on the rear wheel with the front in the air :confused:

Also a big nuisance if you have panniers on.

I see they've widened the dangerously narrow entrance to Milltown Park from Dundrum Road at last.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

^^^^^^^
    Jesus, Mary, Joseph and the wee donkey.
    I guess, you just can't cure f***ing stupid.
    I remember one time about 25 years ago, I was a Sergeant in a Traffic Corps unit.
    My Inspector, who had no experience in Traffic, wanted to do a publicity stunt about safety on Motorways, so he organised a
    speed check on the M1. I tried to point out the danger of stopping cars on a Motorway, he wouldn't
    listen. He had organised Local Radio, Press, etc. He just wouldn't listen to reason.
    Until a Garda was nearly taken out of it, while trying to stop someone doing about 140kph.
    That put a sudden end to that particular stunt, unfortunately it didn't cure the Inspector's stupidity.
    As I say, you can't cure Stupid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,439 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was once heading south on the N11 (M11?) near arklow, over 20 years ago, doing 100km/h and was in the overtaking lane. copped there was a car parked in the median, and as i approached, a garda stepped out, and stood in the lane with his hand out to stop me. i think i was too gobsmacked to give any backtalk when he asked me if i knew what speed i was doing. i did; i was at the limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,418 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

silverharp wrote: »

What am I missing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

breezy1985 wrote: »
    What am I missing ?

I’m going with the cycle lane blocked?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,439 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think the other video shot for this weekend's publicity campaign was shot with the car completely up on a footpath.

i think the other video shot for this weekend's publicity campaign was shot with the car completely up on a footpath.

I think this was it
    https://twitter.com/RSAIreland/status/1401124137473482756

and without a hint of irony they have this up today

https://twitter.com/RSAIreland/status/1401538113533628416

RobbieMD wrote: »
    I’m going with the cycle lane blocked?

I'm not sure what exactly the Gardai are doing but surely they have to take up a side of the road to do a checkpoint.

It would surely make more sense to be on the other side though it being the driver's side but cycle lanes will need to close sometimes just like all other lanes so it's not a big deal really

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I'm not sure what exactly the Gardai are doing but surely they have to take up a side of the road to do a checkpoint.

It would surely make more sense to be on the other side though it being the driver's side but cycle lanes will need to close sometimes just like all other lanes so it's not a big deal really

I'm guessing this was primarily a public relations exercise, and certainly there were cameras present. If that is the case, you'd imagine they'd make sure to get the simple things right, like not parking a load of motos and a jeep on a cycle lane.

i did cycle through a few checkpoints during lockdown where the cars were positioned maybe 1.5m out from the kerb, but whether that was deliberately to allow cyclists pass unhindered up the inside, i cannot say.

but you kinda have to enjoy the irony of them making a video about road safety which involves them pushing cyclists out of the cycle lane on a busy stretch of the quays.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I'm guessing this was primarily a public relations exercise, and certainly there were cameras present. If that is the case, you'd imagine they'd make sure to get the simple things right, like not parking a load of motos and a jeep on a cycle lane.

Where should they put vehicles at a checkpoint?
    On the paths?

Having to use the mixed lane for a bit because of a checkpoint really isn't the massive safety issue it's being made out to be

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

On the paths?

Having to use the mixed lane for a bit because of a checkpoint really isn't the massive safety issue it's being made out to be
    So it is ok for those tasked with making the roads safer to make a road safety video that increases the level of danger on the public whilst recording? :confused:

It highlights the disjointed and lazy approach to road safety in Ireland.

So it is ok for those tasked with making the roads safer to make a road safety video that increases the level of danger on the public whilst recording? :confused:

It highlights the disjointed and lazy approach to road safety in Ireland.

Where do they put it ? Checkpoints have to go somewhere.

Godhelpus a bit of cycle lane was closed off and you had to mix with cars for 100m. Talk about Dublin problems

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Where do they put it ? Checkpoints have to go somewhere.

Godhelpus a bit of cycle lane was closed off and you had to mix with cars for 100m. Talk about Dublin problems
    They had the option to either park on one traffic lane or one traffic lane and the cycle lane. They chose the latter. It was completely unnecessary and as has been mentioned exposed vulnerable road users to a risk for no reason other than laziness. The fact that they saw no problem with making that choice is what is wrong with the road safety approach taken by AGS and the RSA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

none of covid checkpoints i ran into during m time cycling blocked cycle lanes so they managed to do it ok,

does get my goat when road police pull someone over and block a cycle lane, often a kerbed one

That's outside store street station.

Also, similar. I was cycling up the canal from amiens street direction towards drumcondra I was stopped at the bridge byba team of people filming something.it was a big professional thing, but really could have done with the sign way down the other end

was in decathlon this morning and spotted that all the road bikes on display (didn't check any other bikes) are set up for braking a la mode francais

mentioned it to as staff member, just asked did they send out bikes like that. he was saying he doesn't think they've any road bikes in stock anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Fian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

On the paths?

There are regular checkpoints on my road; they park around the corner of the road that makes a T with it.

got my first jab yesterday. did a double take when i saw the info leaflet, a 'WTF is a comirnaty?' one; i'd managed to miss what the vaccine is actually called all this time somehow.
    my left shoulder feels like someone gave me a fairly hefty punch.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

got my first jab yesterday. did a double take when i saw the info leaflet, a 'WTF is a comirnaty?' one; i'd managed to miss what the vaccine is actually called all this time somehow.
    my left shoulder feels like someone gave me a fairly hefty punch.

So many people call it the Pfizer vaccine that very few people know it has a sales name. I prefer calling it the Pfizer/Biontech C19 vaccine, as everyone knows immediately what it is, or simply in the current context, just the "Pfizer" vaccine.

• Advertisement

it was partly through chance that the first bit i pulled out to look at was the pharmacological info leaflet, which i think doesn't even mention pfizer on the front page, so that didn't help. the other bits of leaflet are clearer about it being the pfizer one.

Advertisement