Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

wow, duncan stewart has a lot to answer for. it's like bungalow bliss on steroids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

#relatable

557101.jpeg

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭JayWalsh

Sean Kelly's??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭fat bloke

JayWalsh wrote: »
    Sean Kelly's??

So I'm led to believe yeah. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Sean Kelly's??

Half of it anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

funny thing is, i live in ballynevin too (if you're over 60, you'd have called it ballymun, but everyone claims it's glasnevin now, hence ballynevin).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

funny thing is, i live in ballynevin too (if you're over 60, you'd have called it ballymun, but everyone claims it's glasnevin now, hence ballynevin).

I always laugh when I see it, happens all over Dublin, typically starts when people are selling or have just bought, to either increase price or make it appear to your anobby mates you didn't buy in the place you actually bought. Funniest though is the "Foxrock" delivery office in Ballyogan, so even An Post are guilty of it. Although they have renamed it online to the D18 office, the Foxrock sign is still on it.

same where i grew up - everyone living there called it castleknock, but we were quite literally the wrong side of the tracks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

same where i grew up - everyone living there called it castleknock, but we were quite literally the wrong side of the tracks for that.

Father grew up in the noggin, Pearse rd. His sister till her dying day referred to it as upper Glenageary. Notions :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Ballybrack is disappearing at an awful rate as well 100m from the village a new estate is being built, billed as Killiney!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Discussion moved from BA thread in here, as it was OT for in there.

i prefer to refer to this thread as 'upper bargain alerts thread'

• Registered Users Posts: 24,418 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

https://www.limerick.ie/discover/whats-on/festivals/sarsfields-ride-cycling-tour

Cycling tour around Limerick on July 11th for experienced CI registered riders only. Sadly I'm not one

anyone pay much heed to this local legends lark on strava? got home this evening, and there was a mail waiting for me telling me i'd lost a local legend status. i made my ride this evening public, hey presto, it's mine again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭cletus

anyone pay much heed to this local legends lark on strava? got home this evening, and there was a mail waiting for me telling me i'd lost a local legend status. i made my ride this evening public, hey presto, it's mine again.

I don't pay much attention to any of the leaderboards on Strava*. Nilhg, of this parish, has a couple of them in my locality, I think.

*At least I didn't until last week when I placed 4th on one of the local segments. It may not seem like a lot, but it's the first time I've been in the top ten on a cycling segment

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭buffalo

Sean Kelly's??

Where's the trophy room?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I do, I'm a vain gob****e. I definitely want to stay the local legend of my nearest climb

Only really means something if you have the KOM/QOM otherwise you're just all talk no trousers :D

bugger.

anyway, to the chap who took it off me before i uploaded my ride - probably just looked to him like i saw him taking it off me and deliberately went out and took it back.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Only really means something if you have the KOM/QOM otherwise you're just all talk no trousers :D

KOMs feel like a bit of a dead activity after this many years of Strava though, the times on any even slightly popular climb are basically unobtainable to anyone except very good racers. Different 8/9 years ago when a pleb like me could pick up the odd one here and there :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭cletus

KOMs feel like a bit of a dead activity after this many years of Strava though, the times on any even slightly popular climb are basically unobtainable to anyone except very good racers. Different 8/9 years ago when a pleb like me could pick up the odd one here and there :o

Which is exactly why I don't pay any attention, other than maybe an improvement in my own time. I could spend 6 minutes slogging up some bastard of a hill, and find that the fella with the KOM did it in 1.56

Thats true alright. The local legends I have are segments I pass through on the beer bike. I may need to address that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,766 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

cletus wrote: »
    Which is exactly why I don't pay any attention, other than maybe an improvement in my own time. I could spend 6 minutes slogging up some bastard of a hill, and find that the fella with the KOM did it in 1.56

I only really compare myself to others I follow or people in my club (they're still mostly faster than me :pac: )

So many segment KOMs are held by people obviously on eBikes or who have had Strava running in their cars. Though I went up one particularly sharp (11%) hill recently and noticed that the KOM was over a minute faster than the next guy - assumed it was an eBike but checking the guys rides it seems he's just a really strong climber.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Has anyone experience of using pullingturns.com - they may have me hooked on a replica PDM jersey.

Ta

NMG

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

There's one that I'm forever about 3 cycles behind.

I didn't get notified of a KoM I lost by about 45 seconds, that I felt I could do faster too, even though I absolutely hoofed it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,233 ✭✭✭secman

I'll never have a KOM, leave that to young bucks. But I do take an interest in my age group 55 to 64 to see where i stand. Do wish strava would change it to 5 year groups though, big diffence between 55 and 64, im almost at the upper age now so will be interesting to see how it fares out 65 to 74 :) .

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

secman wrote: »
    I'll never have a KOM, leave that to young bucks. But I do take an interest in my age group 55 to 64 to see where i stand. Do wish strava would change it to 5 year groups though, big diffence between 55 and 64, im almost at the upper age now so will be interesting to see how it fares out 65 to 74 :) .
    "Be careful what you wish for" as they say - you could find yourself getting trashed by people some years older than you :P

I get a KOM this time last year without realising that there was a segment even there. It was taken off me a few days later but its so boring that I don't care about it (it's in a housing estate within my 2km).
    Generally I would compare my times against those I follow. If I improve then great, if not then no harm.

just pick an inconsequential back road that no-one will have tried hard on and put the hammer down on it. it's basically how i got my KOMs.
    there's one road where i have the KOM in one direction and am 87th in the opposite direction. and that's down to swords using it in that direction on one of their race circuits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If anything, Strava leaderboards by age get tougher as you get older. Plenty of people under 35 who get a notion to do a bit of exercise, use the Strava app for six months and drop off again. As you get older, these drop away and all you're left with is the diehards.

Advertisement