Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

the announced plan was that 49 year olds would register tomorrow, 48 year olds on thursday, etc.; but that's basically just to stop the system being swamped.

i suspect it'll still arrange the actual shots by age.

registered 10 days ago not heard anything

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,771 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

do you have an NHS number? you may be able to just pop over the border to get it if so. i know of a couple of people with NHS numbers who've done this.

do you have an NHS number? you may be able to just pop over the border to get it if so. i know of a couple of people with NHS numbers who've done this.

got one from from 24 years ago ....... its on a paper card somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Registered on 6th May, got the text today for Monday.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Someone in work is waiting 3 weeks. Parents got their sorted inside a week

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Got my 1st Pfizer dose an hour ago from my GP.
    Weird side effect - kept hearing the Windows startup music for a short while. Liking the 5G speeds I'm getting now though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Weird side effect - kept hearing the Windows startup music for a short while. Liking the 5G speeds I'm getting now though

Only 5G? They must have given you a placebo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,771 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

registered 15 mins ago. on first attempt it told me my nickname was already in use (?)

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

Have you got any training planned for today? I hit top end power number PB's the evening of my second dose that I haven't come close to since! Im looking g for other people to confirm

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Did a 50km spin this morning before it. Between the strong SE wind and traffic, I didn't get much. I had thought I'd do well travelling with the wind on my back but found that it didn't benefit me as much as I'd have liked :(
    GP reckons I'll be feeling "icky" later today/tomorrow and I've to help my sis move into her new house (so have an excuse not to now)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

Have you got any training planned for today? I hit top end power number PB's the evening of my second dose that I haven't come close to since! Im looking g for other people to confirm

Was probably interference on the Ant/Bluetooth channel

Mr. Cats wrote: »
    Was probably interference on the Ant/Bluetooth channel

I thought the 5g would make the connection more stable :pac:

In hindsight though I wonder if my trainer was calibrated weird or something which is probably more likely than Covid vaccine = super gainz

Weepsie wrote: »
    Someone in work is waiting 3 weeks. Parents got their sorted inside a week

just got appointment for tommorrow (fri) afternoon. 10 working days from registration

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

just got appointment for tommorrow (fri) afternoon. 10 working days from registration

I got a appointment 7ish days after registration. I'm getting the J&J single shot in the Aviva on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

I'm bit off getting it yet, but anyone tried to book it with a partner at same time? two years between us but if they send me to citywest be great if we just made the one trip?

If its just me the aviva be easier, but heard they have been difficult about allowing to choose

i don't know if you can do that, i saw no option when i was registering. it's easy for us though, we live a short walk from where we'll presumably get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

manafana wrote: »
    I'm bit off getting it yet, but anyone tried to book it with a partner at same time? two years between us but if they send me to citywest be great if we just made the one trip?

If its just me the aviva be easier, but heard they have been difficult about allowing to choose

Don't think there is any choice at all unless someone would have a serious concern about access or mobility

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

They sent my Mother who lives in Inchicore to the Aviva, Citywest would have been a million times easier.

NIAC are also causing me so much hassle in work so I'm getting it from every angle :pac:

My opener tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 8,115 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,
    For races, M40 A4 (40-50,beginners/lowest category) what times would be average & bottom of field times for a 50km race?
    For other distances what would be average times & bottom of the field times please?
    Tried googling it but couldn't see times.
    Thanks
    Pa

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

The times and average speeds in a race tell you almost nothing about them. A race isn't one big hard effort, it's countless surges, riding at everyone else's pace, accelerations, slow downs.
    Are you in a club? I'd heartily suggest a club league before open racing, for your safety and every one else's. Plus you'll be fit and ready for an A4 race, and it'll be a far more 'enjoyable' experience!
    A4 isn't broken into age categories either.

As someone who is about to do his first club race in a couple of weeks - how do they differ to open races and what makes them safer?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

As eeeee said, A4 you could potter round at 30kmph and have a mass sprint or everyone could go from the gun and rarely drop below 40kmph and still have a mass sprint.
    Club leagues and spins are great but regardless, sign up, go out and try. If you find it easy, take a dig off the front. If you find it hard, try your best to hold onto the rear of the group. This experience may vary from week to week.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

As someone who is about to do his first club race in a couple of weeks - how do they differ to open races and what makes them safer?

Smaller numbers. Usually ride in a group of similar abilities in a chase pursuit race and cooperate to catch group ahead or stay away from group behind.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Communication is the difference for me, the strong riders are really using it for training, happy to deal out advice, and most have been racing for years. They are all teammates or close enough so no BS is tolerated and they will call each other on it without fear. You make a mistake, someone will tell you, they will show you the signs, what to look out for, teach you what you need to know.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

As Cram and _daragh said, it's learning. You learn how to race, it's a friendly bunch, you get advice, and you learn so much. In the same way you'll have learned loads moving from solo cycling, to a group spin, up to the racing group, you learn and build skills and knowledge as you go.

If it were up to me I would make it mandatory to do at least 1 club league before you can do open races for safety reasons. I have been in bunches with people braking in the middle of the pack going up drags :rolleyes: But you learn so much, and racing will be way more fun with that sharpness and knowledge in your brain and your legs!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,562 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

[...]

Both myself and Ms jou got the vaccine same day, same place. Both registered same day, she got her appointment, I didn't. We came both and she asked if there's a possibility to have my jab same time. They said no problem, booked on the spot and 20 minutes later we both were stabbed with moderna. ;)

We're also just 2 years apart. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,562 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

R.I.P.

US national cycling champion Gwen Inglis was struck and killed by a car on Sunday while training near her Denver home, authorities said. She was 47.

Inglis, the reigning US road race champion in the 45-to-49 age group, was riding with her husband, Mike, around 10am on Sunday in the Denver suburb of Lakewood when a Nissan sedan driven by Ryan Scott Montoya, 29, drifted into the bike lane where she was riding.

Montoya remained at the scene and was facing possible charges of vehicular homicide, Lakewood police told local Fox affiliate KDVR-TV. Montoya told police he was not texting at the time of the accident, but admitted to drinking alcohol and using marijuana the night before, 9 News reported.

National-cycling-champion-Gwen-Inglis-killed-by-suspected-drunk-driver.jpg

Cheeky ask but would anybody in Dublin have a smart trainer I could borrow for a day? For a charity event in work, I've been let down with two that were coming. It's for a fundraising event in my job this Thursday and it's my bike that will be going on to it which means I'll be either on it or next to it the entire time.

It's a fundraiser for AWARE. Obviously it will be minded like a baby and if something was to happen I'd be responsible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Actually, what's the bike parking like for the Aviva and Citywest? I think they're the two options for southside Dublin.

Advertisement