Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

sure tweet the makers (if they still exist) and ask.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I dropped them a line there, they might get a kick out of seeing an old product.

Actually have a tub of the stuff I got last month, same brand.

I just really hate throwing stuff out if it's still good and there was some back and forth over it between herself and myself earlier ;)

What the hell is up with Canyon sizing? I was asked by a family member to look at a bike for them and they ask for height and inside leg measurements and then tell you that you are some kind of freak and their bikes won't fit you :D
    Your body height/inseam length ratio is outside the normal range – check your measurements are accurate and entered properly into the form.
    When measuring your inseam, you should pull up the spirit level or book into your crotch with the same amount of pressure as if you were sitting on the saddle.

I recall sizing one for myself a year or so ago with their older more inquisitive sizing tool and calling bs when they wanted to put me on a n xs 48cm frame. I ride a 52 Felt which if I'm honest I'd have been happier on a 54 at 5'7''

i'm about the same height and the eddy merckx sizer put me at a XS. i have an S - about a 52 or 53.
    i think what it was was that my inside leg measurement is about an inch longer than normal for my height (32") and it panicked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

What the hell is up with Canyon sizing? I was asked by a family member to look at a bike for them and they ask for height and inside leg measurements and then tell you that you are some kind of freak and their bikes

yeh it recommends a small for me. ride a medium in any other brand tried a club mates medium and it fitted great.
    didnt buy in the end as they havent had the colour I wanted in stock since january.

https://geometrygeeks.bike/
    I used this to compare to my current bike

and bought a cannondale in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I took in a foster dog while I'm working from home. Out this morning and kicking a tennis ball for him in the local green, I kicked it from the tarmac and upended myself. My feckin arse and elbow took the brunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,587 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Ouch! Have done similar.

Into the bath with you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,547 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭woody33

Wow, I was waiting for tumbleweed, or kangaroos. Or something. (I used to hang out in O'Donoghue's). Nice work, stay safe. :cool:

• Advertisement

woody33 wrote: »
    Wow, I was waiting for tumbleweed, or kangaroos. Or something. (I used to hang out in O'Donoghue's). Nice work, stay safe. :cool:

Me too many moons ago. As far as I know the videographer lives in Christchurch and is working in Donnybrook so has taken to walking to work, as well as a few shots when out for a walk with his kid. I think it is nice, hope he continues shooting until the end of this so we can see how things go as time progresses

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

CramCycle wrote: »

Nice bit of work that. Anyone know the practicalities around shooting such drone footage in urban areas? Some of the camera work over the Liffey area is very impressive.

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Nice bit of work that. Anyone know the practicalities around shooting such drone footage in urban areas? Some of the camera work over the Liffey area is very impressive.

I know someone who operates one occasionally as part of their work and I recall him mentioning having to notify the IAA every time he puts a drone up for his work around the city. He's registered and licensed etc. I think there are different rules depending on the drone size, where you are flying, structures and the number of people in the vicinity of the drone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Here's a different take on using a drone for filming a biker.
    Greg Callaghan, Irish Enduro rider is the biker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlWG05oMwlE

^ Best thing about that one is the sound!!!!! Had it turned up to the last here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

one or two drones may have been injured during the making of that video.

Could have been posted in the near misses thread with a few of those passes

Doing races and other events with my son in our driveway, with increasingly confusing and convulted systems to keep it interesting. So far we have had answering maths questions mid race, dropping the bike and completing different tasks eg star jumps, push ups, spinning in circles, drawing pictures. The newest race form he has come up with is some sort of dressage, where you are voted on how cool you look while on the bike or scooter, I have so far lost all of these races.

Intrestingly, I also found that if my son uses a shortcut or 'hack' as he likes to call it, that is 'playing the game' but if I do it, it is cheating. I pointed this out to him to which he shrugged his shoulders and said, "I don't make the rules, that is just the way it is". I then pointed out that he clearly makes the rules. He then pointed out that I was just upset about losing, and that was understandable, but I might have a chance if I stopped cheating, as that wasn't fair. :eek::mad::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

CramCycle wrote: »
    Doing races and other events with my son in our driveway, with increasingly confusing and convulted systems to keep it interesting. So far we have had answering maths questions mid race, dropping the bike and completing different tasks eg star jumps, push ups, spinning in circles, drawing pictures. The newest race form he has come up with is some sort of dressage, where you are voted on how cool you look while on the bike or scooter, I have so far lost all of these races.

Intrestingly, I also found that if my son uses a shortcut or 'hack' as he likes to call it, that is 'playing the game' but if I do it, it is cheating. I pointed this out to him to which he shrugged his shoulders and said, "I don't make the rules, that is just the way it is". I then pointed out that he clearly makes the rules. He then pointed out that I was just upset about losing, and that was understandable, but I might have a chance if I stopped cheating, as that wasn't fair. :eek::mad::pac:

Then you just threaten to stop playing, gotta mirror their irrationality until they see the error of their ways.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Adorable!
    I want reports from every race in the league :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭cletus

Then you just threaten to stop playing, gotta mirror their irrationality until they see the error of their ways.

ef8.jpg

cletus wrote: »
    ef8.jpg

Totally serious. Best way to stop a child having a freakout is the lie down on the ground and have your own. I like to connect it to the Lacanian Mirror Stage, but I'm probably way off.

Maybe not the best way, a way.

I'll admit it, I had to Google that. But yeah, spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Anyone having issues with the Garmin Connect app today (on iOS)? I just get a black screen when I open it and it's not syncing with my 520, even though the bluetooth is connected. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling it but no joy.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭cletus

Totally serious. Best way to stop a child having a freakout is the lie down on the ground and have your own. I like to connect it to the Lacanian Mirror Stage, but I'm probably way off.

Maybe not the best way, a way.

I kinda got the impression that the post was more of a light-hearted take on life in lockdown with kids, rather than a father's despair at his offspring's inability to apply consistent rules to a made-up game

But that's just me

cletus wrote: »
    I kinda got the impression that the post was more of a light-hearted take on life in lockdown with kids, rather than a father's despair at his offspring's inability to apply consistent rules to a made-up game

But that's just me

Cram's original, yeah, I read it that way too. My "advice" was serious, but also half in jest. I've been a single parent for nearly 13 years, so my take may not always match that of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I had a very puzzling encounter with a very young Garda at a checkpoint in Donabate tonight while cycling home from work.

The conversation went something like this:

Garda: "Howaya. Out for a spin?"
    Me: "Heading home from work".
    Garda: "OK so - stay within the 2k now"
    Me: "Well I have to go to Skerries" (about 15k from the checkpoint)
    Garda: "Fair enough so - just keep it local"

WTF? I don't think he has grasped the concept of cycling commuting.

Advertisement