Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Yes, but which is right! There's only one way to find out ...

509643.jpg

(This is pretty much how discourse works on Twitter, actually.)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Yes, but which is right! There's only one way to find out ...

Neither really. I think the only thing you can base arguments on are statistics, i.e. odds of death or serious injury.

I do mention how cycling compares with walking to people sometimes, but they mostly never believe that it doesn't have a drastically different risk profile.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

How people feel about certain things is very powerful. Often, when shown contradicting evidence, the tendency is to double down on their opinion rather than change it.

• Advertisement

Yeah, for someone who's posted a lot here, I do mostly try to avoid talking about cycling in real life these days.

And to be fair, how people feel about things is pretty important, given that, as you say, and in my experience, you can't poindexter them into believing otherwise.

Which I suppose is part of what the Velo-City attendees were getting at. But they also thought the city centre was nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,060 ✭✭✭buffalo

How people feel about certain things is very powerful. Often, when shown contradicting evidence, the tendency is to double down on their opinion rather than change it.

https://twitter.com/cafernblue/status/1204492897002958849

Likewise, I've given up on proselyting with family, friends, and colleagues. You get nowhere. However, what I find does work is example. In my experience, the more cyclists someone knows, the greater their chances of trying it themselves.

That paradox above is excellent. I am now going to burn out like the android in I, Mudd.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,660 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Neither really. I think the only thing you can base arguments on are statistics, i.e. odds of death or serious injury.
    cycling doesn't need to be specifically *dangerous* per se, in terms of this discussion; it just needs to be uncomfortable or unpleasant (if we're talking in terms of discussing it with people not willing to cycle).
    i think a lot of people would conflate those various terms too.

If anyone was wondering whether RTÉ would ever decide what AA Roadwatch is, they finally have committed themselves. It's an independent radio producer. But that means they shouldn't be announcing the name AA Roadwatch at the start of their broadcasts.

https://blog.hereshow.ie/2020/04/heres-how-102-aa-roadwatch-and-the-bai/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=heres-how-102-aa-roadwatch-and-the-bai

(Haven't listened to this yet, but the other podcasts he did about AA Roadwatch were interesting.)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,660 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I listened to one of the previous ones and it was painful. It was the one where he doorstepped some producer, and for someone who lectures in media, showed scant regard for impartiality.

Though it is quite funny listening to it on the radio in the morning these days.

His one with Brigid Laffan was a bit off as well. Not that his questions were unreasonable, but they were a bit one-sided.

It took three years for RTÉ to answer the question "What is AA Roadwatch?"

That's quite a while.

This is probably a long-established thing I just never noticed, but you can get rear derailleurs that under minimum tension are on the big sprocket, instead of the little one:
    https://bikesnobnyc.com/2020/04/09/1149/

An update on the Rapid Rise derailleur here:
    https://bikesnobnyc.com/2020/04/15/low-is-the-new-normal/

Sounds pretty good actually.

One of my favourite bands from when I was a few years younger have been doing quarantine videos of their classic songs and to stay the kids flipped out hearing this would be an understatement even made me wish I still had a skateboard, there was mucho bopping to this earlier :D

First heard this playing the Tony Hawks games on playstation way back when

i think it'd be great if a cyclist tried to recreate this on a bike.

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1250193633522917387

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Though it is quite funny listening to it on the radio in the morning these days.
    Reminds me on the weather forecasts during 6 months of 1995. It got to the stage where the presenters were embarassed and apologetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Boards Evil 2020 Virtual Ride?

There. I've said it.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

daragh_ wrote: »
    Boards Evil 2020 Virtual Ride?

There. I've said it.

Stop that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

colm18 wrote: »
    Stop that.

We could do this 3 times

https://veloviewer.com/segment/20390815

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I realised today that the wheels on a bike I had bought second hand were tubular (luckily I realised before I got a puncture out on a ride). Having just about to get the hang of how tubeless works, I'm not at all interested in trying to figure out tubular, and had planned on using that bike for a few very long spins so they are not really suitable.

They are Roval Rapide SL 35 - any idea what they would be worth to sell on second hand (with nice Vredestein tan walled tubulars and possibly a new cassette)?

I'm not sure of age/use, I bought the bike second hand from a shop but almost unused, the wheels could be older though as they didn't come stock on the bike. They are spinning true, braking surface looks ok too, no visible marks on them. They seem to have been on sale around 400GBP

(I'm abroad so this isn't a for sale post - although I did consider bringing that bike home pre-covid!)

Nassau St. getting a contraflow cycle lane. Temporarily? Doesn't say so, so maybe not.
    https://irishcycle.com/2020/04/17/covid-19-emergency-works-to-start-monday-to-make-social-distancing-space-on-dublins-streets/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Nassau St. getting a contraflow cycle lane. Temporarily? Doesn't say so, so maybe not.
    https://irishcycle.com/2020/04/17/covid-19-emergency-works-to-start-monday-to-make-social-distancing-space-on-dublins-streets/

Yes!!!!! Finally. Hopefully they make it permanent. I've wanted this for years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

eeeee wrote: »
    Yes!!!!! Finally. Hopefully they make it permanent. I've wanted this for years!

Agree. I'm crossing my fingers that a lot of changes that cyclists sought (but environmentalists in general more importantly) will be implemented as a result of these lockdowns and that they may effect a significant change in the public's mindset in this regard.

At least it's suddenly obvious how big all those streets around the centre of town are. The number of people over the years who have said something like "we have narrow medieval streets, and there's no room for < anything but motorised traffic and parking>". Most of the streets are not narrow (apart from the footpaths), and, it's now obvious, many of them are actually huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

At least it's suddenly obvious how big all those streets around the centre of town are. The number of people over the years who have said something like "we have narrow medieval streets, and there's no room for < anything but motorised traffic and parking>". Most of the streets are not narrow (apart from the footpaths), and, it's now obvious, many of them are actually huge.

a friend of mine collects old postcards and photos of sligo, its amazing how big streets are with no cars parked on them

• Advertisement

Found this during a clear out earlier, has 1994 on the back so it's still good right??? :D

Seriously, any reason it's for the bin or is it ok to use after 26 years?

ADVSUjql.jpg

Advertisement