Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Neo (eGolf replacement)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

unkel wrote: »
    I'd say it will be under 8s

Me too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

It's a software restriction

On the eGolf you have Normal, Eco and Eco+
    Eco means the acceleration is restricted and your top speed is 120km/h. Better range than normal.
    Eco+ means acceleration is restricted further and you top speed is 90km/h. Best range. This also restricts the air con to more or less useless.

That is done via a push of a button. Im sure they can do the exact same but just hard code into the system.

I would still expect the Neo to have options like above as well so the driver can choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,891 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Nobody is saying VW can't program it to be 9.5s - of course they can

But the car needs to have a competitive acceleration, 8s is good, it will appeal a lot to new EV drivers when they take it for a test drive. VW can always come up with a performance version that does 6s and a mad version that does 3-4s (Supercar territory)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭KCross

No idea of how solid this information is so take it with all the pinch of salts you wish.....

From the UK forum these are the "leaked" release dates and models targeted. The 2019/2020 stuff is fairly well known already but useful to see the later stuff and what models they are looking at.

08/2019: Porsche Taycan Turbo
    10/2019: e-Up! (PA2)
    10/2019: Skoda Citigo
    11/2019: Seat Mii
    11/2019: Porsche Taycan
    11/2019: Audi e-tron Sportback

01/2020: VW Neo (ID.)
    04/2020: Audi e-tron S
    04/2020: Audi e-tron Sportback S
    08/2020: VW Crozz
    11/2020: Seat MEB Hatchback
    11/2020: Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo
    12/2020: Skoda MEB SUV (2 Variants)

01/2021: Audi e-tron GT (J1 Platform)
    02/2021: VW MEB SUV
    04/2021: Audi MEB SUV
    07/2021: Audi MEB CUV
    11/2021: Audi Elaine/E5 (PPE Platform)
    11/2021: Porsche eMacan (PPE Platform)

01/2022: VW Buzz
    04/2022: Audi eQ5 (PPE Platform)
    ??/2022: Audi E5 Avant (PPE Platform)
    04/2022: Bentley Sedan

https://www.speakev.com/threads/what-will-vw-do-for-4-years.130628/page-2#post-2467910

It is a little confusing. It mentions the Crozz in 08/2020 but then mentions the VW MEB SUV in 02/2021. The Crozz is the MEB SUV for VW.

This has created a bit of issue for me. I was fully happy with the Neo and then potentially swapping to SUV as follow up. I didn't expect the Crozz to be available till 2021 but if out late 2020 then I might hold on....really would like the extra height

If going Crozz I would go bigger battery so everything depends on the what the Neo comes in at....would be great if they launched pricing for both at the same time.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

If thats correct then Neo could available this time next year.
    Was half thinking about an Ionic but would prefer to wait if that's any way correct.
    I suppose we should start hearing more info in the next few months.

yabadabado wrote: »
    If thats correct then Neo could available this time next year.
    Was half thinking about an Ionic but would prefer to wait if that's any way correct.
    I suppose we should start hearing more info in the next few months.

VW always have said Neo will start manufacturing Q3/4 2019 and have for sale late 2019 and early 2020.....

If you have an early reservation you potentially could get in 2019

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CFC007

I was in with VW on Friday. The sales guys were clueless about the Neo as you would expect. He did mention that their been sent over to the factory next month for an update. Hopefully be further info after that.

CFC007 wrote: »
    I was in with VW on Friday. The sales guys were clueless about the Neo as you would expect. He did mention that their been sent over to the factory next month for an update. Hopefully be further info after that.

Wich dealer out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CFC007

Black Water Motors Forge Hill in Cork.
    Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Wich dealer out of interest?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

VW always have said Neo will start manufacturing Q3/4 2019 and have for sale late 2019 and early 2020.....

If you have an early reservation you potentially could get in 2019

When is reservation book open?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,308 ✭✭✭✭ted1

CFC007 wrote: »

Tbh he wants a sale today. Not in 12 months. It’s not in his interest to know about it

Nothing particularly new in this article but he does give alot of detail on the platform, battery suppliers and sizes and different charge speeds on different models etc so its worth a read...

https://jalopnik.com/the-fascinating-engineering-behind-vws-electric-car-pla-1829257860

One that did catch my eye though...
    In addition, VW dealerships will become EV charging locations. “Our dealer will become a publicly available charging network,” VW’s head of e-mobility services Martin Römheld told journalists, going on to say that all 4,000 VW brand dealership and service centers in Europe must have two 11kW AC chargers and one 20kW DC charger by the time the ID “Neo” launches in 2020, and that every new dealer from here on must have those chargers as part of their plans.

Not that 20kW DC is going to help alot but if you were stuck and there was a VW dealer nearby!

I was just about to post but you beat me to it :-)

The 11kW home charger for 300 euro was the big thing I took from it.

I was just about to post but you beat me to it :-)

The 11kW home charger for 300 euro was the big thing I took from it.

My guess is that is German, France etc centred and won’t be offered here because “no one” has 3 phase in Ireland. It’s normal over there.

+1

11kW single phase would be more useful in this country once batteries go well over the 60kWh mark

Had a good look at the interior picture and I must admit the space in the back looks more Passat (D-segment) size than Golf (C-segment) size

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

MEB looks better and better all the time. So three battery sizes and 100 or 125 kW charging and approx. 300 km range for the base model. HVAC system completely under the bonnet to increase the interior size.

It was a really informative article. In the comments section somebody said that they want at least 1500 miles of range at 70 MPH for a car to be usable for them but most comments were quite complimentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

+1

11kW single phase would be more useful in this country once batteries go well over the 60kWh mark

Had a good look at the interior picture and I must admit the space in the back looks more Passat (D-segment) size than Golf (C-segment) size
    11kW single phase would be a very strange connection (certainly outside of the US)
    We don't generally provide sufficient amperage or voltage to get that amount of power on single phase. Would require 28a at 400v, or more likely, 50a at 230v

ELM327 wrote: »
    11kW single phase would be a very strange connection (certainly outside of the US)
    We don't generally provide sufficient amperage or voltage to get that amount of power on single phase

Ah we do. A lot of people have electric showers which are about 10kW. Obviously with most people having just a 14kW supply, you can't switch on a lot of things when you have your shower / 11kW EV charger running :D

Ah we do. A lot of people have electric showers which are about 10kW. Obviously with most people having just a 14kW supply, you can't switch on a lot of things when you have your shower / 11kW EV charger running :D
    Come on now, you know there's a big difference between running a burst of 10kW rated shower (which may not ever take 10kW) and running a consistent 11kW at 50a to charge a car over 8-10 hours.

I had an electric shower at my last house, and I know it never took more than 6kW despite being rated at 9kW from memory.
    How do I know you may ask? Because I tested the draw using it and there was never an increase of more than 6kW.

If your shower was drawing 10kW then you couldnt turn on a kettle and the cooker at the same time without breaking 13-14+kW and tripping the main ESB fuse (which networks will give out to you for doing)

• Advertisement

Fair point.
    running a consistent 11kW at 50a to charge a car over 8-10 hours.

Nice battery you got, Sir! :D

Fair point.

Nice battery you got, Sir! :D
    I'm talking about future proofing. No non-US EV on the market currently will accept higher than 32a/400V 3 phase on AC.

In the US Teslas go up to 80a on the HPWC but that's due to their apparent hatred of 3 phase and ridiculous 110v base supply.

I'm talking about future proofing.

Aye. I guess at some point households will need to have at least a spare 22kW available for charging an EV (or two!)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 RamboJambo

Can anyone shed light on BEV's with under the car mounted batteries and potholes?

I'm in the countryside and the likelihood of hitting a pothole is much higher than on the streets of Wolfsburg. Surely the likelihood of hitting the battery is quite high? It would be nice to hear some feedback from engineer/mechanics/owners who might have seen anything on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

samih wrote: »
    MEB looks better and better all the time. So three battery sizes and 100 or 125 kW charging and approx. 300 km range for the base model. HVAC system completely under the bonnet to increase the interior size.

It was a really informative article. In the comments section somebody said that they want at least 1500 miles of range at 70 MPH for a car to be usable for them but most comments were quite complimentary.

1500 miles - there isn't a car made that can do that lol.

Even hardcore diesel fans are happy with 1000 kms.

Even 1000 miles a week is seen as heavy motoring.

That's 1000 miles over 5 to 6 working days.

200 miles a day - Kona already can do it on one charge.

Improve the charge network and so many EVs could do 200 mile days with one stop while the driver has lunch/does other things.

Have they a fuel tanker on the back of their current car.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,308 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Have they a fuel tanker on the back of their current car.

They can refuel in minutes at any of the many stations around the country

ted1 wrote: »
    They can refuel in minutes at any of the many stations around the country

That wasn't the requirement, the requirement was 1500 miles of range at 70Mph....no car can do that....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

It was the new record I have seen for "I'll only buy one when it they have range X". At 4 miles/kWh you are looking a nice 375 kWh battery. With top current/emerging technology NCM 811 at around 350 Wh/kg that would be a cool 1070 kg + casing just for such a battery. So you would probably use more than 4 miles/kWh at 70 MPH, so even more capacity would be needed in practise. And with current pricing it would cost about 40k just for the cells.

But the folk can always daydream about their ideal vehicle for their usage pattern. Which Neo looks like will be a good match for many.

• Advertisement

It was the new record I have seen for "I'll only buy one when it they have range X". At 4 miles/kWh you are looking a nice 375 kWh battery. With top current/emerging technology NCM 811 at around 350 Wh/kg that would be a cool 1070 kg + casing just for such a battery. So you would probably use more than 4 miles/kWh at 70 MPH, so even more capacity would be needed in practise. And with current pricing it would cost about 40k just for the cells.

But the folk can always daydream about their ideal vehicle for their usage pattern. Which Neo looks like will be a good match for many.

Irish drivers are the same. First it was "I will only buy when I can drive from Dublin to Cork"....once that came around then it was "I will only buy when I can drive from Dublin to Cork and back" or my favorite I seen "I will only buy when I can drive from Belfast to Cork"

The same person has probably never been to Cork in his/her life and probably has a commute of 30 to work......

Some people are leader and some people are sheep. Same in every country.

Some people just buy XYZ because the Jones bought it and told them it was great, so they will buy. Some other people will research and buy the best product that will suit their requirements. The problem is the market in most countries are full of sheep.

Advertisement