Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why I stopped going to matches in Aviva?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

molloyjh wrote: »
    It's about individuals being decent to other individuals. It's got feck all to do with facilities. As I've said a few times now, those people getting up can choose to do so during breaks in play. Those being "inconvenienced" can show some patience then if it isn't affecting their viewing. But as below, there should be no need for people to be getting up all that often during the game.
    They can but how many breaks can you have. If i want to leave my seat then i will. If i want to quietly leave my seat and return with minimal disruption why should i be stopped. I shouldnt have to wait for any break in play. If someone is getting annoyed about me leaving my seat once/twice during a half/game then thats on them.
    Yeah the only time when people should need to go to the bar for a pint is at the tail end of the first half to beat the queues. Otherwise I'm not sure why a pint wouldn't last someone 30-40 mins. Of course then there's the bladder related absences, but again that shouldn't be all that frequent either.
    I disagree. Would you say the same at any other form of event/concert/show?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

"boycotting" the Aviva is abit silly but personally I wouldn't be arsed going to any more games there

I was at the Aviva for first time for the Autumn internationals (well Fiji and Argentina), and based on both those times i can kinda empathise with Tim, people up and down for pints during the match, it was a pain in the hole (not to mention people doing a Mexican wave in the Fiji game when it was a one score game)
    I hate sitting for games anyway, wish there was a terrace section in the Aviva

certainly don't begrudge people enjoying their day though

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Getting up during ongoing play, barring an emergency, is being a dick. Be considerate and wait for a stoppage in play. There's some form of stoppage every few minutes. You are sharing viewing space with other people and it won't kill you to wait a minute or two to move. Those are the people that drive me insane.

I don't particularly 'get' drinking multiple pints during a match. It's overpriced, in a plastic glass and generally muck. It's not as if you can't get a nice pint in the surrounds of the Aviva. There are multiple bars within a ten minute walk of your seat in the ground before or after the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

The simple answer would be to ban bringing drinks to the seats.

I’m not sure how that would work, one poster here suggest that the stadium would be empty but I doubt it.

For competitive soccer games at the Avaiva the only alcohol available in the general area is non-alcoholic and I do not think it can be taken to the seats. I am not sure what the story is in premium areas and I’m sure alcohol is available in corporate.

In Croke Park alcohol is available on the concourse but cannot be taken to the seats in the general seating area, again I don’t know about the premium of corporate areas.

I gave up drinking before or at GAA or soccer matches, it’s a real head wrecker if you have a beer buzz going after a few pints and then have to sit down for at least 40 minutes before you can get another.

• Administrators Posts: 53,527 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I mean how many pints do you need? I don't understand why people can't get sorted before they sit down for the first half and then before the 2nd half as well? I mean it's 40 minutes...
    The queues.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    The queues.

Yup. At half time against Saracens just getting into the toilet for a slash took pretty much the entire half.

I think I've missed like 2 Ireland home games in the past 5 years (so I think I have a decent enough sample size of games) and there is no real epidemic of people going for pints during matches.

The majority of people go during breaks in play. Sure, there's the odd person who picks the worst possible moment but as often as not they are going for a piss (I assume that's what it is when they don't come back with drinks or food).

People say "go before and at half time", people don't realise the queues at half time are pretty nuts and the bar staff inexplicably slow at times (probably cause they're students with no real bar experience). You could queue for a pint at half time and still not be back to your seat until 5/10 mins into the second half depending on where you're sitting in the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Yup. At half time against Saracens just getting into the toilet for a slash took pretty much the entire half.

At the weekend I went to the toilet for a slash then went up to the bar, got two pints for everyone, then got back to my seat just after kickoff.

Maybe we're just a better kind of fan, more naturally attuned to the dangers of the stadia and more nimble, possibly an issue of evolution.

Yup.

Going for a slash at half time = 15 minutes of queuing.

Going for a slash 10 minutes either side of half time = no queue, 1 minute seat-to-seat.

I mean how many pints do you need? I don't understand why people can't get sorted before they sit down for the first half and then before the 2nd half as well? I mean it's 40 minutes...
    Many people actually do that but you can only serve so many customers at a time. Like for half time we are pre pouring pints from about the 28th-30th minute of the game and it still isnt enough. People can be queueing for ages so miss the start/quite a bit of the second half
    It's about individuals being decent to other individuals. It's got feck all to do with facilities. As I've said a few times now, those people getting up can choose to do so during breaks in play. Those being "inconvenienced" can show some patience then if it isn't affecting their viewing. But as below, there should be no need for people to be getting up all that often during the game.

Yeah the only time when people should need to go to the bar for a pint is at the tail end of the first half to beat the queues. Otherwise I'm not sure why a pint wouldn't last someone 30-40 mins. Of course then there's the bladder related absences, but again that shouldn't be all that frequent either.
    But the facilities are part of the reason. I think people here saying only go at half time or whenever can get off the high horse a bit. When is the right break in play to go as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Yup.

Going for a slash at half time = 15 minutes of queuing.

Going for a slash 10 minutes either side of half time = no queue, 1 minute seat-to-seat.

Why are you waiting so long, are you not pushing people out of your way or something?

I think I've missed like 2 Ireland home games in the past 5 years (so I think I have a decent enough sample size of games) and there is no real epidemic of people going for pints during matches.

The majority of people go during breaks in play. Sure, there's the odd person who picks the worst possible moment but as often as not they are going for a piss (I assume that's what it is when they don't come back with drinks or food).

People say "go before and at half time", people don't realise the queues at half time are pretty nuts and the bar staff inexplicably slow at times (probably cause they're students with no real bar experience). You could queue for a pint at half time and still not be back to your seat until 5/10 mins into the second half depending on where you're sitting in the ground.
    The bar staff can be slow but its all one pour and all too often there can be horrible delays because people in the keg rooms(which often are not anywhere near the bars) dont tap kegs immediately.
    My bar on Saturday had 9 staff including a supervisor who wasnt on a till or tap. We had 3 pourers. We couldnt possibly throw the beer out any quicker. There wouldnt be any room for more staff as if you did you'd have people in each others way and it would make things slower

At the weekend I went to the toilet for a slash then went up to the bar, got two pints for everyone, then got back to my seat just after kickoff.

Maybe we're just a better kind of fan, more naturally attuned to the dangers of the stadia and more nimble, possibly an issue of evolution.

IBF confirmed:
    e908fd19eba8_sf_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

But the facilities are part of the reason. I think people here saying only go at half time or whenever can get off the high horse a bit. When is the right break in play to go as well?

Any break in play? You realise I'm trying to be fair and decent to everyone here, right? If there's a scrum being set you've a chance to pop out. If the ball has gone into touch and a line out has been set you have an opportunity. If there's a TMO decision pending or an injury. There's loads of times during a game that someone can get up without interrupting the viewing experience of others. It's the decent thing to do. Rather than getting up mid-way through an attacking phase inside the 22, which I've seen happen.

If the person getting up made an effort to minimise disruption and the person they are walking past made an effort to recognise that they aren't missing much then there is no issue. On Saturday I got up to go to the bathroom after a knock on was called and as the scrum was being set. I went back when the ref went to the TMO. I didn't block anyone from seeing anything. They had no issue with me. We were all good.

Any break in play? You realise I'm trying to be fair and decent to everyone here, right? If there's a scrum being set you've a chance to pop out. If the ball has gone into touch and a line out has been set you have an opportunity. If there's a TMO decision pending or an injury. There's loads of times during a game that someone can get up without interrupting the viewing experience of others. It's the decent thing to do. Rather than getting up mid-way through an attacking phase inside the 22, which I've seen happen.

If the person getting up made an effort to minimise disruption and the person they are walking past made an effort to recognise that they aren't missing much then there is no issue. On Saturday I got up to go to the bathroom after a knock on was called and as the scrum was being set. I went back when the ref went to the TMO. I didn't block anyone from seeing anything. They had no issue with me. We were all good.
    But if you leave in a break of play then what about coming back in? Do you have to wait for another break of play to come back in? That causes as much disruption. You either have to have it stadium policy to have no drinks in the seating area or just leave it as it is and i dont see IRFU/Aviva Stadium or Compass changing their systems.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    There's an element of arrogance in labelling people who want to have a couple of pints during the game as not being true supporters. The phrase 'real fan' was used in one of the previous posts. Is that not just a tad arrogant?
    Hurrache wrote: »
    Meh, all the easier for those of us who enjoy a beer or several watching a game and not have to do so under the glare of someone purposely out looking to get annoyed at the slightest transgression on how they feel other strangers should behave in public.
    Virtanen wrote: »

Or maybe stop getting so worked up about it. Honestly, it sounds like you're being more of a problem than they are, by taking such massive offence to such a minor inconvenience
    Virtanen wrote: »

I don't care about any sport enough to moan about missing a few seconds of it, but you do you
    P.Walnuts wrote: »
    On a bit of a high horse arn't we?

I'm sure real fans like yourself add greatly to the atmosphere
    P_1 wrote: »
    Simple solution to your problem, buy a ticket at the premium level. Then you won't have to worry about the riff raff interrupting you.
    Hurrache wrote: »
    So what's the story then, you're only a real fan if you stay in your seat, finger on your lips apart from when shouting ciúin agus suigh síos at everyone else?
    So you stoooed going to the aviva because other people were doing what they do? And that effects you why? Are you that interested or effected by others that it means you avoid things now? This is pretty sad.
    I honestly think you should just watch it on TV
    That's bull. You still get to watch the match don't be looking for an excuse. You get up and you're still watching the game. I've been to plenty of rugby games. Doesn't bother me. Still get to watch the match.
    Have you considered talking to Joe? You should talk to Joe.
    Get off your high horse Tin. What do you want the IRFU to do. I work in the Aviva and yesterday was far busier than any previous day ive had in there the last few years. It isnt at all simply rugby matches in the Aviva.
    Tim should everyone keep quiet during games in case shouting your support annoys or upsets people sitting close to you as well?

There are 2 or possibly 3 people who have decided not to go to the Aviva anymore for various reasons that can be explain thusly

"I feel I am above the behaviour of some in a public place with over 50 thousand people"

Good. Don't come.

Go to the Golf instead and check your season tickets at the door

Are you having a laugh? Tim Robbins said 'real fan' once and almost immediately took it back. Feck off out of that prawnsambo.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭ProudIRISHman

edit: apparently the truth is too much to bear.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Are you having a laugh? Tim Robbins said 'real fan' once and almost immediately took it back. Feck off out of that prawnsambo.
    No, I certainly will not 'feck off' anywhere.

He did take it back, which I acknowledged. Does that mean he's not thinking along those lines?

Lads I was in the park yesterday, it was a lovely day. I was there with my kids and a bag of bread to give to the ducks.

When we got to the duck pond there was a sign that read "Don't feed the ducks".

I went and looked it up and apparently, bread isn't great for ducks and you shouldn't feed them it.

The sign was right, some things shouldn't be fed. So don't feed them.

He did take it back, which I acknowledged. Does that mean he's not thinking along those lines?
    prawnsambo wrote:
    And I only mentioned the 'real fan' thing because of an accusation of arrogance from the poster I replied to. Which wasn't fair either.

It wasn't 'fair' but I quoted... 12(?) posts of people being condescending, sarcastic or just plain arrogant?

Also, this may somehow be news to you but 'feck off out of that' refers to something a person said. Or else you're just being difficult because you turned out to be wrong.

It's not absurd for someone to believe that people (including posters here) who state that drinking and watching rugby live are inextricably linked are less interested in the process of actually watching a live rugby match.

That doesn't mean they aren't interested or aren't a 'real fan', but it does mean interruptions, distractions and not being able to see the match are far less important to them. People who want to drink while watching rugby live have many options. People who want to watch it without having to move (or not being able to see because people in front of them have to move) have none bar hoping they can book middle seats.

• Advertisement

It wasn't 'fair' but I quoted... 12(?) posts of people being condescending, sarcastic or just plain arrogant?

Also, this may somehow be news to you but 'feck off out of that' refers to something a person said. Or else you're just being difficult because you turned out to be wrong.

It's not absurd for someone to believe that people (including posters here) who state that drinking and watching rugby live are inextricably linked are less interested in the process of actually watching a live rugby match.

That doesn't mean they aren't interested or aren't a 'real fan', but it does mean interruptions, distractions and not being able to see the match are far less important.
    Yes, I understand the colloquial use of that phrase, but it doesn't read well in print.

And I never said anything about it being absurd. What sort of straw man are you building here? And I certainly don't think anyone here is saying that drinking and watching a match are 'inextricably linked'.

However, to say that you can't enjoy a drink without the assumption being made that you're less interested than the guy who doesn't is pretty snobbish, if not arrogant.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I stabbed someone once, but pulled the knife out instantly. No harm done. The only pains were the ones in our sides, how we laughed.

That doesn't mean they aren't interested or aren't a 'real fan', but it does mean interruptions, distractions and not being able to see the match are far less important to them. People who want to drink while watching rugby live have many options. People who want to watch it without having to move (or not being able to see because people in front of them have to move) have none bar hoping they can book middle seats.
    So why should people who want to have a few drinks have to act differently because someone gets upset at having to get out of their seat for a second or two a few times during a game? The people who dont drink also have other options. The bars wont be stopped from serving during the game unless the stadium management/stewards/guards have an issue.

Lads I was in the park yesterday, it was a lovely day. I was there with my kids and a bag of bread to give to the ducks.

When we got to the duck pond there was a sign that read "Don't feed the ducks".

I went and looked it up and apparently, bread isn't great for ducks and you shouldn't feed them it.

The sign was right, some things shouldn't be fed. So don't feed them.

Be honest, you fed those ducks didn’t you :-)

Be honest, you fed those ducks didn’t you :-)

Nah, when we eventually got there and sat on the bench we didn't get a chance because people kept walking in front if us. Completely ruined it and it's why I'm never going feeding the ducks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Can’t believe this thread is at 117 posts for such a non-issue if I’m being honest...

.ak wrote: »
    Can’t believe this thread is at 117 posts for such a non-issue if I’m being honest...
    Well it would have been 116 if you... Oh damn! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

This is where it gets really annoying. Like a person gets up while a team are picking and driving in their opposition 22 - they obviously have very little interest in the game. There's at least 15 times in each half you could pop out and not annoy people at all between the amount of times the ball goes dead, the stoppages for injury, just after kicks at goal. Loads of times.

I think if these people knew how annoying it was they wouldn't do it. I genuinely they just don't know. They are out with their mates having a few beers with a modest interest in the game at best - nothing wrong with that but just we need to tell them the better time to get their round.

This is where it gets really annoying. Like a person gets up while a team are picking and driving in their opposition 22 - they obviously have very little interest in the game. There's at least 15 times in each half you could pop out and not annoy people at all between the amount of times the ball goes dead, the stoppages for injury, just after kicks at goal. Loads of times.

I think if these people knew how annoying it was they wouldn't do it. I genuinely they just don't know. They are out with their mates having a few beers with a modest interest in the game at best - nothing wrong with that but just we need to tell them the better time to get their round.
    it doesnt mean a person has little interest in the game if they leave at a moment like that. You dont know why theyre leaving their seat. It isnt always for a drink....
    There are lots of people who do it who have more than a modest interest in the game and you cant tell people to pick and choose when to go for a drink.
    So do you want IRFU to ban drinking at seats then? That will still see people leaving their seats and coming back in. What do you want Aviva stadium management to do about it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

"Real fan" is playing the man instead of the argument. It's not a great argument because someone could easily just say to me hey you're not a real fan? It can just be patronising.

I used the term in haste - as in when you are posting sometimes that happens.

I don't have a problem with casual fans, fake fans or real fans going to a match. It's a free country. Just think we could all accommodate each other, the IRFU, supporter clubs etc could help this issue to be resolved by some better communication.

They could advice people in match programs, over the PA when to get their pints and also the stewards could stop letting people come back into the stadium and make them wait until the ball goes dead.

I really believe a little bit of education and a bit more speaking up from the silent majority is all that is needed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement