Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who'd live in a house like this? Part 2

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

harr wrote: »
    The same for the ceiling/ roof it looks like one sheet of something and that’s it .. I think a standard garden shed would be warmer. Imagine the noise when raining.
    Surely that’s not fit for human habitation.

Agreed.
    You can nearly feel the cold coming off that awful looking wall. Nothing would heat that place. I have definitely seen nicer garden sheds, which were being used for their proper purpose, and not being rented out to live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,819 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Something about those pics doesn't add up.....

The outside shot shows a perfectly normal-looking shed/shomera/cabin type building - did they buy one without end walls or something? And only half a ceiling that they had to prop up with badly-joined beams?

And the bedroom and bathroom have pitched roofs, yet in the outside picture it's a flat-roof construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Something about those pics doesn't add up.....

The outside shot shows a perfectly normal-looking shed/shomera/cabin type building - did they buy one without end walls or something? And only half a ceiling that they had to prop up with badly-joined beams?

And the bedroom and bathroom have pitched roofs, yet in the outside picture it's a flat-roof construction.

It's just wood cladding. The roof is slightly angled, sloping down towards the back of 'house'. It just looks flat from the front, but isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,563 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

It's alright though lads, who needs insulation when you can have "HIgh Speed Board band"?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

i don't think "exceptionally badly" quite covers it. that blockwork would be unacceptable on a garden wall.

It doesnt even look air tight.

And imagine what the landlord must be like to deal with if he thinks that's an acceptable living space. Unbelievable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

https://www.elliman.com/newyork/sales/detail/612-l-610-16_3237144/95-lake-road-plandome-manor-manhasset-ny-11030

Nothing crazy with the above, it's reasonably tasteful for an American house. Though I would say it's a little more social club looking than homely. I thought it was kinda nice though, bit of potential if you 'warmed' it up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,376 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

https://www.elliman.com/newyork/sales/detail/612-l-610-16_3237144/95-lake-road-plandome-manor-manhasset-ny-11030

Nothing crazy with the above, it's reasonably tasteful for an American house. Though I would say it's a little more social club looking than homely. I thought it was kinda nice though, bit of potential if you 'warmed' it up a bit.
    I love it, obviously very American decor, but still gorgeous.

$11.8 mil and $165k annual tax places it ever so slightly outside my budget though. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 33,953 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

They don't do property tax by halves in the States, do they!

Would be a right shocker for many here.

Also if you don't pay they just seize the property and auction it. :)

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,028 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

What half a bath?
    Wouldn't the water just flow out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

They don't do property tax by halves in the States, do they!

Would be a right shocker for many here.

Also if you don't pay they just seize the property and auction it. :)

Isn't that why Florida is so popular with retirees? No property tax?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭some random drunk

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/terraced-house-66-mountain-view-park-rathfarnham-dublin-14/3234678

I see the local murder house has come on the market today, wonder will there be many interested parties?

At 365k it seems a fairly steep price to live with a constant reminder of a gruesome murder scene, especially since there are houses in better condition for not much more in the same estate.

Background info on the murder here:

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/irish-granny-patricia-oconnor-chopped-10624149

• Registered Users Posts: 13,641 ✭✭✭✭josip

I'd imagine a lot of people end up buying houses that have horrible histories without being aware of it.
    I wouldn't even buy a probate house in case the previous owner passed away at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭flazio

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    Isn't that why Florida is so popular with retirees? No property tax?
    The neighbours have started getting rowdy though. Especially a new guy who started in New York, made his way to Washington and is planning to move back.
    I think he has a holiday home in Clare as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/terraced-house-66-mountain-view-park-rathfarnham-dublin-14/3234678

I see the local murder house has come on the market today, wonder will there be many interested parties?

At 365k it seems a fairly steep price to live with a constant reminder of a gruesome murder scene, especially since there are houses in better condition for not much more in the same estate.

Background info on the murder here:

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/irish-granny-patricia-oconnor-chopped-10624149

As josip said they are hoping the purchaser doesnt have a clue that a grandmother was killed in that house.

I followed that case at the time and really couldnt believe the stupidity of the two eejits trying to dispose of the body. In preparation for it they went on a shopping trip together and literally walked into B&Q in Tallaght under the full glare of CCTV to stock up on what they needed. Every item they bought was associated with the disposing of a body- large black bags, a hacksaw,an axe, two pairs of wellies and a shovel. The Gardai couldnt believe their luck when they saw the CCTV of the pair of them on their shopping trip and they even paid for it with a debit card just to ensure full traceability .

Then you had the grand daughter who knew her grand mother was already dead and in the cover up to put Gardai off the scent she dressed up as her grandmother using a wig and her grandmothers clothes and then purposely walked past the next door neighbours CCTV while wheelling a suitcase behind her. In the Garda interviews all family members claimed the grandmother had stormed out of the house after an argument with a suitcase behind her, that was their story. The cover up in the aftermath was a complete house of cards that came tumbling down very quickly in court and four of the five family members involved are now in prison.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    As josip said they are hoping the purchaser doesnt have a clue that a grandmother was killed in that house.

I followed that case at the time and really couldnt believe the stupidity of the two eejits trying to dispose of the body. In preparation for it they went on a shopping trip together and literally walked into B&Q in Tallaght under the full glare of CCTV to stock up on what they needed. Every item they bought was associated with the disposing of a body- large black bags, a hacksaw,an axe, two pairs of wellies and a shovel. The Gardai couldnt believe their luck when they saw the CCTV of the pair of them on their shopping trip and they even paid for it with a debit card just to ensure full traceability .

Then you had the grand daughter who knew her grand mother was already dead and in the cover up to put Gardai off the scent she dressed up as her grandmother using a wig and her grandmothers clothes and then purposely walked past the next door neighbours CCTV while wheelling a suitcase behind her. In the Garda interviews all family members claimed the grandmother had stormed out of the house after an argument with a suitcase behind her, that was their story. The cover up in the aftermath was a complete house of cards that came tumbling down very quickly in court and four of the five family members involved are now in prison.

Jesus, I remember that now that you've given that detail. The poor woman.

While it sounds callous, life goes on and someone might nab a bargain with that house.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

553425.jpg

Any chance you could update this photo too. Subject Matter: 'Beam me up Scotty:rolleyes:'

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/bungalow-lake-view-house-lacken-co-wicklow/3223195

Photo No. 15, I cant link it, same house though

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Jesus, I remember that now that you've given that detail. The poor woman.

While it sounds callous, life goes on and someone might nab a bargain with that house.

I don't know the prices of houses there but I'd say you'd be looking at pouring a lot of money into it to make it right. Re-wiring, windows, doors, roof, kitchen, bathroom, landscaping.
    It'd be the guts of €100k+ depending on the finish you want.

humberklog wrote: »
    I don't know the prices of houses there but I'd say you'd be looking at pouring a lot of money into it to make it right. Re-wiring, windows, doors, roof, kitchen, bathroom, landscaping.
    The listed price is definitely aspirational, probably testing the water in the current market.

Always sad to see a house left to go into disrepair.

The listed price is definitely aspirational, probably testing the water in the current market.

Always sad to see a house left to go into disrepair.

It came out in the court case that the family were mostly a bunch of lazy, useless feckers and it was only the mother that was killed had any get up and go in her.

The carpets I presume were lifted by the police but the rest I'd imagine was fairly "as was" when it was inhabited.

Surely that can't be right.

The description from the sales agent says the house is 'Presented in good condition.'

Is that estate agent for 'roof still attached'?

• Advertisement

Surely that can't be right.

The description from the sales agent says the house is 'Presented in good condition.'

Is that estate agent for 'roof still attached'?

Well it depends on what the buyer wants.

For me I couldn't live with the exposed block work in the gardens and the general presentation and one could easily sink €15k in bringing front and back gardens into spaces that you like.

Along the skirting boards downstairs are extra electric wires running along the length of the rooms so that either for extra sockets (like the exposed one in the bedroom) or there's something wrong with the existing wiring, either way I'd want that sorted.

Most of the white rooms have been recently painted, a quick slapdash, I think they must've ran out of paint or interest in the pink room. Either way you can see damp showing through.

Ah, the more I look the worse it gets tbh.

Estate agent must've thrown the paint on himself and is happy with his half days work.

Gaff needs gutting.

Well it depends on what the buyer wants.

For me I couldn't live with the exposed block work in the gardens and the general presentation and one could easily sink €15k in bringing front and back gardens into spaces that you like.

Along the skirting boards downstairs are extra electric wires running along the length of the rooms so that either for extra sockets (like the exposed one in the bedroom) or there's something wrong with the existing wiring, either way I'd want that sorted.

Most of the white rooms have been recently painted, a quick slapdash, I think they must've ran out of paint or interest in the pink room. Either way you can see damp showing through.

Ah, the more I look the worse it gets tbh.

Estate agent must've thrown the paint on himself and is happy with his half days work.

Gaff needs gutting.

You'd be waiting on electricity to be reconnected, gas too if it has gas heating.

Our climate is conducive to damp, especially in older buildings, if the heating isn't turned on for at least 7 months of the year. 7 months is dependent on a good spring and summer.

It does like damp when you zoom in on the pink room, I missed that so good spot. Way overpriced regardless of location.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭dasdog

Aside from the fact Rathfarnham is Dublin 16, it really is 50/50 in that estate area wise with what's up for sale.

69 Mountain View Park, Churchtown, Dublin 14
    29 Mountain View Park, Rathfarnham, Dublin 14
    66 Mountain View Park, Rathfarnham, Dublin 14
    17 Carrickmount Drive, Churchtown, Dublin 14
    39 Carrickmount Drive, Churchtown, Dublin 14
    49 Carrickmount Avenue, Rathfarnham, Dublin 14

I grew up not far from there. Robocop (the garda) was a resident - I was in secondary school with him and he was actually sound before he went nuts. There was a family on Mountain View Park who were a cut above the rest though - completely mental. One of the brighter of the ten or so offspring was christened "Elvis". There were plenty of genuine, nice, hard working families in that estate but €385-400k to live there now is bonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

A pretty cute one bedroomed thatched cottage just off the N4 near Moate for 85k. This one is definitely a trip down memory lane
    NzY3NzhlNTBkOWZiMDQzMmNmZTMyZDE4ZTQ3ZDRlYWVNMZP7eByEFixw07p6_esuaHR0cHM6Ly9zMy1ldS13ZXN0LTEuYW1hem9uYXdzLmNvbS9tZWRpYW1hc3Rlci1zM2V1LzYvOC82ODQ1ZmE0ZWM4NGYyZTA3ZTMxYmJlNzJlOGZjN2E4My5qcGd8fHwxMjAwfHx8fHx8fA==.webp

They even show the new owner how they are going to spend their two weeks annual summer holidays every year when they cant find a thatcher

ZGVmMTdkY2UyNTYyNzYyZjNlNmJkOTgwMzkzZGJhZWFCkQ9lUu7iHSXWcKdvl4udaHR0cHM6Ly9zMy1ldS13ZXN0LTEuYW1hem9uYXdzLmNvbS9tZWRpYW1hc3Rlci1zM2V1L2UvYS9lYTQ5NTlkMTIzYWE0ZTc1MzcxMzMzZDM2YTk4YzE1Zi5qcGd8fHwxMjAwfHx8fHx8fA==.webp

And its got an open plan kitchen dining room, these fellas were way ahead of their time
    YzIyMjdmZWYyOTIzZDY4NTU5YTFhNzRlYjRjMGI5NjnPZvRxkLXQymZpLHB1ony-aHR0cHM6Ly9zMy1ldS13ZXN0LTEuYW1hem9uYXdzLmNvbS9tZWRpYW1hc3Rlci1zM2V1LzgvMS84MTgxZGJhY2YzMmZmMjU5YjdhNGEwNjFhMGIwZjYyYi5qcGd8fHwxMjAwfHx8fHx8fA==.webp
    https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-seeogue-moate-co-westmeath/2954410

I loooooovvvveeee that cottage! Thatchers are a dying breed, but it lasts years if done properly. It's the insurance that's the killer with the fire risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,953 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Nobody mentioned the half a shower tray in the murder house?!?

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,641 ✭✭✭✭josip

Nobody mentioned the half a shower tray in the murder house?!?

Didn't hang around the bathroom too long, that's where Patricia was killed.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/criminal-court/murder-in-a-crowded-house-the-full-story-of-the-patricia-o-connor-trial-1.4187812

That cottage is like a time machine. It would have been largely the same in 1890

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

dasdog wrote: »
    Aside from the fact Rathfarnham is Dublin 16, it really is 50/50 in that estate area wise with what's up for sale.

Some of Rathfarnham is Dublin 16, and some is Dublin 14. The split was meant to be the white line along the Grange road.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dublin_postal_districts
    Dublin 14 includes Churchtown, Clonskeagh, most of Dundrum, Goatstown, lower Rathfarnham and Windy Arbour.
    Dublin 16 includes Ballinteer, Ballyboden, parts of Dundrum, Kilmashogue, Knocklyon, upper Rathfarnham and Rockbrook.

I totally agree though, the house is way overpriced, but I suspect the agent thinks he'll get it given Rathfarnham in the address.

Wasn't Mountain view previously the Holylands and they changed the name as it used to be a no go area in the early 80s?

The husband got the house, should have sold it sooner as it seems it's 10k underpriced.

https://m.sundayworld.com/crime/irish-crime/home-where-tragic-mum-patricia-oconnor-was-murdered-goes-to-liar-husband-40352301.html

Has the ad been taken down? Can't seem to find it now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭wassie

Is listed as sale agreed.

Advertisement