Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who'd live in a house like this? Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Muahahaha wrote: »
    A pretty cute one bedroomed thatched cottage just off the N4 near Moate for 85k. This one is definitely a trip down memory lane

They even show the new owner how they are going to spend their two weeks annual summer holidays every year when they cant find a thatcher

And its got an open plan kitchen dining room, these fellas were way ahead of their time

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-seeogue-moate-co-westmeath/2954410

My grannys house, which is just up the road from this is quite similar in dimensions , size and style. It would have looked like this over 100 years ago. Hers is well over 350 years old.

Looks like this one hasn't been touched in the last century.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

josip wrote: »
    I'd imagine a lot of people end up buying houses that have horrible histories without being aware of it.
    I wouldn't even buy a probate house in case the previous owner passed away at home.

They must have to disclose it to you. I remember a few years back myself and the missus were out on a drive in North County Dublin. We were off the beaten track and came across a bungalow with a for sale sign on a quiet country lane with a stunning view. We checked daft and couldn't believe that it was up at such an affordable price. I gave the estate agent a call and one of the very first things he said to me was 'There was an incident at the house in the past'. This threw me off guard and I took a few moments to think about it. The only logical thing I could think of was that it must have been a murder due to the way in which he told me. I asked 'was it a murder' and he said yes. I said I'd get back to him as I'd need to discuss it with the missus. It turned out to be Joe O'Reilly's house we had stumbled across.

The EA had been quite upfront in telling us something had happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

They must have to disclose it to you.

There's absolutely no obligation on estate agents (or anyone else) to reveal those kinds of details.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭wassie

I would say it depends upon whether the agent was aware of any material facts that may be prejudicial to the purchaser. Likewise, if a vendor fails to disclose or deliberately hides this, the agent may claim they were never aware of this fact.

Interesting discussion on the legalities here in Ireland.
    http://www.cearta.ie/2018/04/can-you-get-out-of-the-purchase-of-a-house-if-you-find-out-later-that-someone-had-been-murdered-in-it/

But ultimately it is a case of "Caveat Emptor - let the buyer beware. It is important to do your due diligence before exchanging contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

It’s funny the way things go. A murder in a house in living memory will put people right off, but a murder 200 years ago would probably be a selling point. Like the way it’s perfectly acceptable to have a Jack The Ripper museum and tours in London, but similar ones based on Fred West wouldn’t go down too well.

I know natural deaths are quite different to murders, but my bedroom all through my childhood was the room my grandmother died in (before I was born). My grandfather also died in the house. Never bothered me in the slightest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,000 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You let a bargain slip away there Kintaro. If other people's stupidity drives down the price for you it's a win.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

You let a bargain slip away there Kintaro. If other people's stupidity drives down the price for you it's a win.

I'd have been quite happy to buy it but once the missus started reading up on what had happened, it put her off.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

The cctv on the Quarry up the road would be watching your comings and goings all the time too...

Ish66 wrote: »
    The cctv on the Quarry up the road would be watching your comings and goings all the time too...

The phone mast ;)

Mind you, the phone masts all over the country are following everyone, all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

bubblypop wrote: »
    The phone mast ;)

Mind you, the phone masts all over the country are following everyone, all the time.

Feckin phone masts, injecting 5G into people which everyone knows causes COVID-19.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

bubblypop wrote: »
    The phone mast ;)

There was cctv too https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/commentanalysis/arid-20037451.html

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭some random drunk

Interesting house here, "Capilano" at the top of Ticknock Road. I'd love the views, bar and video game arcade. I'd hate the ugliness of the exterior and the noise from being right beside the M50.

It was asking 2.25 million back in 2015, 6 years of house price inflation and it's only asking half that now :confused:

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-capilano-ticknock-road-stepaside-dublin-18/3236251

Ym-I5-N2-Zj-OTY5-YWRk-NTcz-ODE4-MWM4-ZTMw-Zm-Ew-ZTlm-Nm-Hcg-23f-TXdfd-MPIz-HUNv-Fa-HR0c-HM6-Ly9z-My1.webp
    ODI2-Nj-Nm-YTgz-Njcx-ZGJi-YTVm-Ym-Zk-ZTc5-Nj-E5-Zj-Ji-Nzgf6-OFr2x7-Zh7qq5sb-PGn-ZRa-HR0c-HM6-Ly9z-My.webp

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

D3V!L wrote: »
    My grannys house, which is just up the road from this is quite similar in dimensions , size and style. It would have looked like this over 100 years ago. Hers is well over 350 years old.

Looks like this one hasn't been touched in the last century.

Yeah the cottage in Moate is quite the time warp. Its keenly priced at 85k too, Id say it will attract interest from young couples who cant afford Dublin and want to take on a do-er upper. Its got 30,000+ views on Daft so wont be long selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Yeah the cottage in Moate is quite the time warp. Its keenly priced at 85k too, Id say it will attract interest from young couples who cant afford Dublin and want to take on a do-er upper. Its got 30,000+ views on Daft so wont be long selling.

There's no doing that up. Those walls are hundreds of years old. It's a museum piece tbh, too pretty to knock but totally impractical for modernisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

2ndcoming wrote: »
    There's no doing that up. Those walls are hundreds of years old. It's a museum piece tbh, too pretty to knock but totally impractical for modernisation.

You could do it up alright. Knock the walls one by one and rebuild them using the same stone. Only a right Philistine altogether would attempt to modernise it but if one were to restore it in the old style someone would live in it. Would do great on Air BNB as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

My sister spoke to my mum about it this morning. Turns out she knew the original owners when she was growing up.

Oh and its also a museum. People are coming from far and wide to see an untouched house from the 1800's. I have to agree, there'd be no saving it as it stands unless you want to spend a couple of hundred grand. Then it'd push you into the same territory as a fairly decent modern house in the area.

Couldn't somebody not add some insulation, maybe a false wall inside? Which could take the wirings as well.

Does anybody know if the thatch roof is protected?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

D3V!L wrote: »
    My sister spoke to my mum about it this morning. Turns out she knew the original owners when she was growing up.

Oh and its also a museum. People are coming from far and wide to see an untouched house from the 1800's. I have to agree, there'd be no saving it as it stands unless you want to spend a couple of hundred grand. Then it'd push you into the same territory as a fairly decent modern house in the area.

Why so much money? These houses were built from scratch by people without two pennies to rub together in a country that had feck all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭dasdog

Kamili wrote: »
    Some of Rathfarnham is Dublin 16, and some is Dublin 14. The split was meant to be the white line along the Grange road.

Wasn't Mountain view previously the Holylands and they changed the name as it used to be a no go area in the early 80s?

Well I've spent most of my life living in D14 & D16 and never knew that so cheers. It wasn't really a no go area. Plenty of headcases about and ropes as swings from lampposts and heroin and such but it was more Roddy Doyle's The Van than an actual dangerous place.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

It’s funny the way things go. A murder in a house in living memory will put people right off, but a murder 200 years ago would probably be a selling point. Like the way it’s perfectly acceptable to have a Jack The Ripper museum and tours in London, but similar ones based on Fred West wouldn’t go down too well.

I know natural deaths are quite different to murders, but my bedroom all through my childhood was the room my grandmother died in (before I was born). My grandfather also died in the house. Never bothered me in the slightest.

Similar here.
    Grandmother lived her later years with us, and my sister and I shared the room, after her death.

• Advertisement

I'd have been quite happy to buy it but once the missus started reading up on what had happened, it put her off.

It wouldnt bother me to actually live in a murder house but another element of buying one is the entire community around you. They were there at the time and will never forget the day the murder happened, the shock of it all in such a quiet area, the cops and the media all about the place asking questions, etc and they will always associate your house with a gruesome murder for decades later.

So not only are you a blow in to the area but you are also the blow in who bought the murder house. Id imagine if you had kids the local kids would be slagging them at school for living in the murder house so you'd have to explain that one to your kids as well, not nice.

Infamous houses do have a market though, Josef Fritzls house and dungeon sold a couple of years ago
    The house where Josef Fritzl kept his daughter captive for 24 years and fathered seven children with her has been sold to the owner of a strip club.

Walter Anzboeck, the liquidator of Fritzl's estate, said the house in Amstetten, 70 miles west of the Austrian capital Vienna, was sold for 160,000 Euros (about £135,000). Local strip club owner Herbert Hauska told state broadcasters his wife Ingrid and a business partner had bought the building to turn it into apartment units. He said on Monday that it is time “to bring down the curtain” on the house's past.

"It can't stay empty for ever. We need to bring life into it. In two years it will be a house like any other," said Mr Hauska, who runs Amstetten nightclub Bar Josefine, where women performers undress on stage and offer punters lap dances. Mr Hauska, who also runs a local pub, said he intends to use the property to house people who work for him.

"We have lots of trainees, some from (nearby towns) Persenbeug and Ybbs, and so we need employee flats," he told Austrian newspaper Niederoesterreiche Nachrichten.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/josef-fritzl-s-house-sold-strip-club-boss-austria-amstetten-bar-josefine-a7459681.html

Something very dodgy about a strip club owner buying Josef Fritzls property to house his strippers

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Kamili wrote: »

I totally agree though, the house is way overpriced, but I suspect the agent thinks he'll get it given Rathfarnham in the address.

Has the ad been taken down? Can't seem to find it now...

I couldn't see the ad either but found it here.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45EoxSBof8o

Description by estate agent... :eek:

66 Mountain View Park, Rathfarnham, Dublin 14
    Castle Estate Agents powered by Keller Williams are delighted to present this stunning property to the Dublin 14 market!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭dasdog

I couldn't see the ad either but found it here.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45EoxSBof8o

Description by estate agent... :eek:

66 Mountain View Park, Rathfarnham, Dublin 14
    Castle Estate Agents powered by Keller Williams are delighted to present this stunning property to the Dublin 14 market!

Jesus Christ they really have no shame.

Interesting house here, "Capilano" at the top of Ticknock Road. I'd love the views, bar and video game arcade. I'd hate the ugliness of the exterior and the noise from being right beside the M50.

It was asking 2.25 million back in 2015, 6 years of house price inflation and it's only asking half that now :confused:

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-capilano-ticknock-road-stepaside-dublin-18/3236251

I think it is horrible and has no design or architectural merit whatsoever, inside or out. For 1.1 million you would kind of want it to look nice from the outside whereas it actually looks like a council house with several extensions.

For some reason they have a teddy bear of a tiger but no wardrobe

NmJmMDFkZGQ5NjI4OGFlY2JjYTdkNGFhN2RkNjhlNGVSpAnrBYd9iL2_Wf8XWdlOaHR0cHM6Ly9zMy1ldS13ZXN0LTEuYW1hem9uYXdzLmNvbS9tZWRpYW1hc3Rlci1zM2V1L2IvMi9iMmY0MDUwZjg1OWYyMzRlYjZmN2FlMjkxOGFmYmQ0YS5qcGd8fHwxMjAwfHx8fHx8fA==.webp

Plus anyone notice this pair on the window sill?

OTE1MDFjYTU4MDdhNThiYmRlYmE5YTc1NWMzYjNmMmTM0yFCQqSF3ZcUlocGvqtUaHR0cHM6Ly9zMy1ldS13ZXN0LTEuYW1hem9uYXdzLmNvbS9tZWRpYW1hc3Rlci1zM2V1L2EvOS9hOTAxNDZhZDYyMmYwNWMxYTc0Njc5ZDgzZTRlZTNjOC5qcGd8fHwxMjAwfHx8fHx8fA==.webp

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭tallaghtjoe

I think it is horrible and has no design or architectural merit whatsoever, inside or out. For 1.1 million you would kind of want it to look nice from the outside whereas it actually looks like a council house with several extensions.

Agree.

Also notice the clothes hanging from the ceiling?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭What.Now

Ym-I5-N2-Zj-OTY5-YWRk-NTcz-ODE4-MWM4-ZTMw-Zm-Ew-ZTlm-Nm-Hcg-23f-TXdfd-MPIz-HUNv-Fa-HR0c-HM6-Ly9z-My1.webp
    ODI2-Nj-Nm-YTgz-Njcx-ZGJi-YTVm-Ym-Zk-ZTc5-Nj-E5-Zj-Ji-Nzgf6-OFr2x7-Zh7qq5sb-PGn-ZRa-HR0c-HM6-Ly9z-My.webp

The front door needs to be kept

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

dasdog wrote: »
    Jesus Christ they really have no shame.

Is this your first time dealing with estate agents? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

You could do it up alright. Knock the walls one by one and rebuild them using the same stone. Only a right Philistine altogether would attempt to modernise it but if one were to restore it in the old style someone would live in it. Would do great on Air BNB as well

You can't rebuild them using the same stone as no one in their right mind would build a wall like that now. They're solid stone walls. No insulation, no wiring, no plumbing.

You could build a new cottage with modern building techniques and give it a rustic finish (faux stone cladding on feature walls / fake beams etc) for less than it would cost to make that one liveable by modern standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,000 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Very cunning how the estate agent hid the half-missing shower tray in that video. Presumably ripped out by the guards looking for body parts and/or murder weapons.

I keep thinking about that episode of The Simpsons.

"I'm a torso!"

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Anybody who knocks any of that house should be shot will balls of shyte from every field in Co. Westmeath.
    There's a stone shed beside it from a much later date. Do that up properly, put the bedroom and bathroom into it with a modern kitchen if you need it and live in it when it's too cold but really leave the old one alone.

The old one could have sheep wool insulation put in the ceiling to insulate it. Rewire if necessary as that's a safety issue. Paint it in whitewash and that's most of the work done. Maybe remove the wallpaper if it's rough and replaster the walls in hemp plaster (good insulator and a good moisture remover).

It deserves to be preserved, in fact An Taisce or Westmeath Co. Co should consider buying it and doing something with it.

Advertisement