Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster v Scarlets - Preview Sat 3:30 Sky Sports Action

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

stephen_n wrote: »
    In a less aggressive sense :pac: I just don’t get why people go to matches if they can’t last 40 mins without a pint. Would the pub not be a better bet?

Given the fact that they sold out of lager today at HT, i think you might be in the minority.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    It ain't 1 second every 40. Munster game in October was a procession. Every 2 or 3 minutes

I can only speak for myself, one pint per half. Hardly a travesty

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

P.Walnuts wrote: »

If you can't move your legs for 1 second every 40 minutes that's completely your problem and frankly pathetic

See clearly you’re missing the problem here, it’s not the having to stand up, which in itself can be annoying if it’s in the middle of a phase of play. It’s the row in front of you standing up and blocking your view, 4,5 or 6 times a half. Some of us are there to watch the rugby, if you’re more interested in the beer, the pubs the place for you, simples.

See clearly you’re missing the problem here, it’s not the having to stand up, which in itself can be annoying if it’s in the middle of a phase of play. It’s the row in front of you standing up and blocking your view, 4,5 or 6 times a half. Some of us are there to watch the rugby, if you’re more interested in the beer, the pubs the place for you, simples.

There are plenty of stoppages in play when it's completely feasible to get up and get a drink without putting out other fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

There are plenty of stoppages in play when it's completely feasible to get up and get a drink without putting out other fans.

Yep that’s true but that ain’t what happens, thus why so many get annoyed with it.

• Advertisement

Still trying to decide if we were so good, we just didn’t give them a chance. Or if Scarlet’s failed to show up. Maybe the Irish thing in me, where I don’t like to get ahead of myself. I can think of bad moments in play, but can’t think of one bad performance today. We just seemed so comfortable, both with ball in hand and without. Even with all the injuries and the knock on effects, there aren’t really any weak links in the team. Despite the one knock on Ferg (many peoples choice for a weaklink) had a great game. We maybe suffered a little for the lack of pace out wide with him an Isa, but not to a worrying degree. Our pack is so good, even with all the big injuries in the back row, it most be the best pack in Europe. There is a genuine hunger in this team that’s very visible through out. I think Fardy deserved motm but then so did Henshaw and James Ryan. What a superb performance today.

Early on, not within the opening 10 minutes but early on there were a run of physical exchanges and Leinster came out on top of all of them. We set out our stall early and Scarlets having been matched and outmuscled lost their impetus. The only reason it took more than a quarter is that we allowed ourselves to be sucked into a succession of line outs and scrums in the opening 15 or so.

I reckon you could watch the match back and pick out the point with good accuracy where the Scarlets pack wilted and started giving twice the ground per collision that they had been.

It's a credit to them that they kept working until around 65 minutes. They never lost sight of the competitiveness of the fixture even though they were no longer competing on an equal footing from around 20 minutes on wards.

I felt before the game that the Leinster pack would be the difference and if we had good possession in the first half and reflected that on the scoreboard that it would take a special effort from the Scarlets in the last 20 to bring the game back to some respectability.

Instead Leinster in true 6 nations fashion opened the half with another dominant score.

It was a physical and entertaining game but the truth of it is that Scarlets were bullied off the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Jesus, Scott Quinnell was insufferable in the buildup.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Guys, this is not relevant to the match thread so maybe move on or start a new thread about the subject. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Didn't see the match myself, followed it on UR, (very ill family member which has priority), great result for the boys and delighted for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 85,279 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Great result for Sexton and the team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

That James Ryan "never lost a professional game" stat wrecks my head.

I know it's true, but it hardly seems plausible.

Long may it continue, obviously.

Steve wrote: »
    Didn't see the match myself, followed it on UR, (very ill family member which has priority), great result for the boys and delighted for them!

It was a terrific result, a complete performance and an excellent display of rugby.

I hope your family member is doing ok and getting the best care, best wishes.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Any chance of seeing the full match on YouTube?

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭durthacht

Sorry to hear that. I hope your family member recovers. Best of luck to you all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Jaysus that was good. Finally back home. Beaten Exeter, Montpellier, and Glasgow, each top of their respective leagues, Saracens and Scarletts, European and Pro14 champs, all while looking quite comfortable.

It's a super talented group of players. It was very like the England v Ireland game. Very nervous as a fan going on, bit they were in control all game.

Had seats behind the commentary so was able to see more than normal. Kearney was barking orders at players and setting up the defence constantly. He's not flashy, but he's effective and consistent.

there wasn't a bad performance there and considering the missing players too that should terrify any team.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,011 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Mark McCaffrey is suggesting on Twitter that teams in the Champions Cup should be restricted to one player per school, to help develop the game in more schools around Ireland.
    I'm joking

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Extraordinary player. It's hard to imagine that he's got more to learn. Was U20 captain, so it's probably in his future.

I think a few of the Michael's teachers have money on him to captain the Lions, they put it on when he was a student there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

razorblunt wrote: »
    Jesus, Scott Quinnell was insufferable in the buildup.

I like him. He is just a rugby fan in a suit on tv. And to be fair after the game he was spot on too. About Scarlets and Leinster.

Pivac was also pure class.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,074 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

It was a great performance all right, and the big win was fully deserved. Really sorry to hear about your family member's illness, and wish you all the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Looking at Tadhg Beirne in the 2nd half he looked very tired, was always the last player to get back onside. Looks like he could do with a good rest.
    I thought he looked tired from early on. He fell off the tackle that allowed Ryan to go again for his try. He's already about to hit 2,000 minutes for the season. He needs a break. There's been a clear decrease in his influence in recent appearances compared to a couple of months ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Is it sacrilege to say I was little bit bored by the end, the game was so one-sided :o

I hope the final is a little more close if I'm honest.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Had hoped to do day trip but not a chance with the prices. Can’t see anything in UR yet, will it be sky or bt? Have sky but if bt can you buy one game access

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

pc7 wrote: »
    Had hoped to do day trip but not a chance with the prices. Can’t see anything in UR yet, will it be sky or bt? Have sky but if bt can you buy one game access

Both channels show the final am fairly sure of that

Just finished watching SF again. Jordi is going to be a huge loss next season.

Henshaw is a special player lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Kauto

Buer wrote: »
    I thought he looked tired from early on. He fell off the tackle that allowed Ryan to go again for his try. He's already about to hit 2,000 minutes for the season. He needs a break. There's been a clear decrease in his influence in recent appearances compared to a couple of months ago.

He was getting sick in d bin at half time when the camera panned to the dressing room.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,171 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Kauto wrote: »
    He was getting sick in d bin at half time when the camera panned to the dressing room.
    Could have been a bit dehydrated and then took on too much fluid too quickly. It was warm out there yesterday.

Highlights - enjoy!

Leinster 70% possession in the first half.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Looking at Tadhg Beirne in the 2nd half he looked very tired, was always the last player to get back onside. Looks like he could do with a good rest.

Hopefully Munster do the business tomorrow.

Agreed. But it is widely rumoured that Tadhg will be on tour with Ireland during the summer, although maybe Joe won't give him much game time.

I've nothing against Munster, but personally I'd prefer a European Final against a team from outside the Pro 14.

The final when we stuffed Ulster in 2012 was a bit of an anti-climax, and the media in the rest of Europe didn't give it as much coverage as it deserved. And much the same happened in the 2010 final in Paris when Toulouse beat Biarritz.

The 2005 final between Toulouse and SF Paris in Murrayfield was a bit less parochial, probably because Trevor B was playing, as well and the post-match entertainment of seeing the hapless Guy Noves arrested by the Scottish police!

Advertisement