Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leinster v Scarlets - Preview Sat 3:30 Sky Sports Action

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Skid X wrote: »
    That James Ryan "never lost a professional game" stat wrecks my head.

I know it's true, but it hardly seems plausible.

Long may it continue, obviously.

Mauro Itoje was in a similar position not so long ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Is it sacrilege to say I was little bit bored by the end, the game was so one-sided :o

I hope the final is a little more close if I'm honest.

Killed the atmospher a bit in the stadium too, but from a nerves perspective, it saves heart attack’s for fans. Not great for the neutrals though, a bit like watching NZ ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Is it sacrilege to say I was little bit bored by the end, the game was so one-sided :o

I hope the final is a little more close if I'm honest.

No I was happy as it was.. They were very clinical and professional. A joy to behold!

Scarlets got a consolation try but I was so proud of our Leinster lads. They were simply unbeatable on the day.

I saw where the Welsh were calling the players arrogant.. I suppose if you are well beaten one has to demean the opposition in some way.

They are simply a team who has got used to winning.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

bilston wrote: »
    Skid X wrote: »
    That James Ryan "never lost a professional game" stat wrecks my head.

I know it's true, but it hardly seems plausible.

Long may it continue, obviously.

Mauro Itoje was in a similar position not so long ago...

Itoje has been playing rugby almost non-stop since his breakthrough.

James Ryan has only played 20 games, and is on the road to a central contract which will only further manage his minutes.

The problem with Itoje now is that he looks shattered. I'd hope that Ryan can kick on and not go through a similar slump.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Interesting to see the perception from the Scarlets forum is that they cannot compete with Leinster's financial power. Rare to see the provinces viewed in such a manner.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 40,981 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Buer wrote: »
    Interesting to see the perception from the Scarlets forum is that they cannot compete with Leinster's financial power. Rare to see the provinces viewed in such a manner.

Yeah it was weird seeing that.
    I remember leinster still disclosing yearly losses up to 2010 I think.

They (scarlets fans) also seemed to imply its our financial clout and ability to pay big wages that is the reason for our success.

While we certainly aren't on the bread line, I would have put our playing population, club and school academy route, and quality of regional and youth amateur coaching as much more significant factors in our success.

Fardy and Lowe are the only big two wage bills leinster have surely? Most of the other senior players are either central contracted, in their twilight or are up and coming....

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Maybe they don't have comparable finances at school level to provide the facilities the Leinster players are used to from school age?

Where is this Scarlets forum?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

sydthebeat wrote: »

They (scarlets fans) also seemed to imply its our financial clout and ability to pay big wages that is the reason for our success.

While we certainly aren't on the bread line, I would have put our playing population, club and school academy route, and quality of regional and youth amateur coaching as much more significant factors in our success.

Fardy and Lowe are the only big two wage bills leinster have surely? Most of the other senior players are either central contracted, in their twilight or are up and coming....

This is part of the problem Welsh fans have - they see the Irish provinces as well funded by IRFU - does it really matter where the money comes from, the players are still playing for Leinster? Whereas their teams (except Dragons for the moment) are privately funded with limited support from WRU. Some people on twitter have big shoulder chips about it and are constantly agitating to leave Pro14 and join the English league setup. Faraway hills are green.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Zzippy wrote: »
    This is part of the problem Welsh fans have - they see the Irish provinces as well funded by IRFU - does it really matter where the money comes from, the players are still playing for Leinster? Whereas their teams (except Dragons for the moment) are privately funded with limited support from WRU. Some people on twitter have big shoulder chips about it and are constantly agitating to leave Pro14 and join the English league setup. Faraway hills are green.

Scarlets are probably the only Welsh club that would survive in an English/Welsh league. It’s funny as at one stage the Welsh were the big spenders of the Celtic league. Are the WRU not part paying the wages of the internationals? Is that not how 1/2p is playing for Scarlets?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,008 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Not sure how they can think that playing in the premiership would bridge the perceived financial divide. They'd be much more the poor relations then. If that were even true.

• Advertisement

stephen_n wrote: »
    Scarlets are probably the only Welsh club that would survive in an English/Welsh league. It’s funny as at one stage the Welsh were the big spenders of the Celtic league. Are the WRU not part paying the wages of the internationals? Is that not how 1/2p is playing for Scarlets?

Yes they have brought in central contracts, and each team is funded to the tune of £3.5m AFAIK, but the rest they must raise through their own resources. Some twitter exchanges I've seen have raised estimates of Leinster's wage bill (including central contracts obv) of €8-10m. The Welsh definitely feel like they're being left behind and unable to compete, so they see the money coming into the English game as a desirable option. Not that the English want them, of course!
    Also yes, Scarlets would compete but the others would probably be in the Championship, which would defeat the purpose of moving.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Not sure how they can think that playing in the premiership would bridge the perceived financial divide. They'd be much more the poor relations then. If that were even true.

Have seen it from quite a few. Far greater TV revenue, bigger crowds and more travelling fans, access to more sponsors and a far bigger market, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Have seen it from quite a few. Far greater TV revenue, bigger crowds and more travelling fans, access to more sponsors and a far bigger market, etc.

And yet basically every club in the AP runs at a loss. Some at very very large losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

stephen_n wrote: »

Yes they have brought in central contracts, and each team is funded to the tune of £3.5m AFAIK, but the rest they must raise through their own resources. Some twitter exchanges I've seen have raised estimates of Leinster's wage bill (including central contracts obv) of €8-10m.
    That's the stuff of fantasy. A 40 man squad with a wage bill of €10m would require an average salary of €250k. There are plenty of players in the Irish squad not on that much never mind Leinster.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I wouldn’t think there is any doubt that the Irish provinces are significantly better funded than the welsh clubs. It’s not reflected in foreign signings so much as it is in our ability to keep pretty much all our players.

I thought the 3.5m was in reference to the wage cap for welsh teams?

Only the second match I've ever left early, this time for very different reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭antietam1

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    You sound like great company

I paid good money for my seats and in no way am I going to apologise for having a pint and watching the game.

If you can't move your legs for 1 second every 40 minutes that's completely your problem and frankly pathetic

Bring a hip flask.

I go to matches to have a rake of pints amongst other things. They have hundreds of bars that sell pints. You can hardly be surprised that people avail of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

I paid good money for my seats and in no way am I going to apologise for having a pint and watching the game.

If you can't move your legs for 1 second every 40 minutes that's completely your problem and frankly pathetic

20 people all want a pint in each half then - you have to get up every 2 mins.
    Most of them don't even have the cop on to wait for the ball to go dead.

I am not sure if you are interested in anything but say you like the cinema - if you had to get up every 2 mins to let people get a pint would you would just watch it at home instead.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

On the flip side, I pay good money for my seats so why should I have my view hampered because some people can't go a whole half without having a pint?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

There are plenty of stoppages in play when it's completely feasible to get up and get a drink without putting out other fans.
    Two outs and two in's that's four times you are asking to get up. If even other people do it, then that 20 get-ups and sit-downs someone has to do. Do you wait until the ball is dead?

Edit: maybe we should take a separate thread for this - I'll create one.

New thread here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=106799843#post106799843

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

sydthebeat wrote: »

Having finances to retain players is part of reason for success. Welsh sides cant match what irish have in support financially. The clubs and schools help here and underage coaching is very good especially in the development groups but welsh are very good and better than us age grade nationally often
    Maybe they don't have comparable finances at school level to provide the facilities the Leinster players are used to from school age?

Where is this Scarlets forum?
    And thats a very select relatively small number in Munster. Its all private schools here. Rugby isnt like that in Wales and thankfully it isnt...

Advertisement