Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 World Championship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

I dunno what more you need really after watching the final, if you've been following it for the last 2 and a bit weeks you know anything they could possibly say already. If you haven't, you probably don't care. Not everything needs to be Sky-ified.

So actually discuss all the other games except the final, give that 2 seconds? We all know what they could possibly say after any game, if you want to go down that road why have any analysis at all? Generally it's the done thing with most sports on most channels i.e spending quite some time actually digesting what we just saw, the showpiece of the sport, while also recapping the season

• Registered Users Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

I’m a traditionalist so snooker on the bbc is important to me. But you are spot on with that assessment. Aside from Hendry you won’t get any remotely dissenting viewpoints. Ken is too crafty to stray from the party line. They could have Foulds who would be a great addition but would he toe the line? Far too tight with Hearn to offer any sense of balanced coverage.

Ye I like it on the BBC too. That's why it annoyed me how they wrapped it all up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Was a decent conclusion, close semi finals and final, wouldn't have found the winner with a map, but he played very well this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,170 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Judd Trump and Barry Hawkins will be kicking themselves how they were outsmarted by the "old guard".

I like Barry but losing in the semis seems to be pretty much his level, unfortunately.

Judd would be a lethal player if he could tame the impulsive side of his game a bit - a change of coach might make all the difference for him and take him to a world title.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

They were. Programming schedules.

Prefer if it was like the darts and they rattle on for hour after it but ce la vie

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

A small thing but I never like the way the bbc rush onto the floor to do the post match stuff. Deflates the atmosphere. Why the rush? Give em a minute to take in the magnitude of it. Just annoys me the way they do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,325 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Don't think I enjoyed it as much as others - decent fare but there was actually very few nail-biting or otherwise memorable frames.

I do love a few frames where someone chases 3 snookers for 15 minutes, or ones where the last 2 reds and colours are all on cushions and every pot has to be fought for.

Anyway @the non regulars here - remember snooker isn't just the BBC's couple of events, there's abut 15 events throughout the season live on Eurosport and ITV4 so join us next season :)

• Advertisement

Don't think I enjoyed it as much as others - decent fare but there was actually very few nail-biting or otherwise memorable frames.

I do love a few frames where someone chases 3 snookers for 15 minutes, or ones where the last 2 reds and colours are all on cushions and every pot has to be fought for.

Anyway @the non regulars here - remember snooker isn't just the BBC's couple of events, there's abut 15 events throughout the season live on Eurosport and ITV4 so join us next season :)

Yes q school next Monday, the long road to the crucible 2019 starts there. Expecting a mega thread ;-)

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Like I said, I think they were on a directive from up above, "Either you finish it up in 90 seconds or you have a half hour to fill"

We take what happens on TV for granted, but it's very hard work!

We have posters here who have been to the Crucible remarking on the cameramen and the hard work they do.

I can't get my head around what the director does, they always seem to have the best (camera) shot just in time. Not easy. Then they're trying to fit replays in, too. It's got to be hard to decide when is the right moment for a replay of whoever missed (or got) a shot without missing anything. Back when I started watching in 1981, there were no replays whatsoever, you only got the score on screen every 2 or 3 minutes, paying attention was essential :)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Watching the Worlds 1981-85 was one of the few bonding things I did with my dad, he died in 85. He was a bit of a hard bollox but I respect him a lot more now than I did at the time. I'm trying my best to be more open and talkative with my kids but sometimes the old bollox of a grandfather that died long before they were born shines through in me :)

That's why the Worlds always is, and will be, important to me. The mrs doesn't get it and I don't think I've even tried to explain, but tolerance is all I need.

Did RTÉ show the world finals or even semi finals? I recall watching the 80 final and the 82 white-Higgins s/f though I’m pretty sure we didn’t get the bbc aerial for another year when the UK final really got the Alex bandwagon rolling.

They showed Ken's title winning final but I'm pretty sure they didn't show anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I noticed the BBC wrapping things up quite quickly over the semis and the finals. But then they are a multi platform service with the red button, and on line. Didn't they say tonight that the press conference wound be on line after the program.

Yeah I’m not sure. Maybe they showed a frame or 2 on sports stadium or something like that, I just have a memory of the 80 final but mind has a nasty habit of playing tricks with me!

• Advertisement

Sports Stadium with Liam Nolan and his famous sports jacket, who could possibly forget!

Flicking the buttons on the TV (no remote) between rallycross with Murray Walker on BBC Grandstand and wrestling on ITV with Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks. Them were the days!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Delighted for Williams. A real character on and off the table which there aren't many of anymore. To win it fifteen years after your last victory, in this day and age is some feat.

All three of his titles he won 18-16 which is a funny coincidence.

Very sad it's all over until next year. Since I've started going over to it this has rapidly caught up and maybe surpassed Cheltenham and the Darts World Championships as my favourite sporting event of the year. (Special nod to Wimbledon as well).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Haha he just did press conference naked

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,066 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Just class.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭HisJills

Never bothered much about it but presume you would have to buy one of their cues alright. Bingham did use it alright and has, let’s just say, a lot of interesting things to say about it...

Any link to any info/controversy about the likes of Murphy and Bingham and their thoughts on sight right?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭HisJills

Well done to MJW, best player of the tournament and probably the season! Will never ever forget the red he potted in the middle using another red to go up and down to clip in the red that was over the middle pocket. That shot was just incredible, wouldn’t be on most other players radar at all as it’s not really a shot they would even consider, yet he goes for it and makes it, outrageous really! A true legend of the game with an amazing snooker brain. Fantastic to watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Christ he has a lot of tattoos!

• Registered Users Posts: 54,775 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Try_harder wrote: »
    Christ he has a lot of tattoos!

They're manky looking......

Can't understand people getting them when they are mature grown adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

walshb wrote: »
    They're manky looking......

Can't understand people getting them when they are mature grown adults.

What a stupid thing to say.

• Advertisement

HisJills wrote: »
    Any link to any info/controversy about the likes of Murphy and Bingham and their thoughts on sight right?

Don’t really get involved with it too much to be honest. If you google around a bit there’s plenty of stuff around it. Bingham has a fair bit to say on Twitter for a start, can’t really post any links from my phone.

Advertisement