Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 World Championship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Is MJW automatically seeded number one for the championship next year despite probably not being world number one or how does that work?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

BBC don't kill themselves with the analysis after a final, the biggest game of the year. No recap of the season or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Is MJW automatically seeded number one for the championship next year despite probably not being world number one or how does that work?

Yes he will as long as he qualifies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

BBC don't kill themselves with the analysis after a final, the biggest game of the year. No recap of the season or anything.

Snooker is hard to time tbf. It ran long so there would be feck all time.

They did reviews during the interval

• Registered Users Posts: 16,606 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

That was very enjoyable. The best player won, eventually. It was nice to see the families there. Sorry it's all over for another year but looking forward to next year's SWC already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭melon_collie

That red in the middle to start the break was absolutely ridiculous. What a shot

• Registered Users Posts: 8,337 ✭✭✭AllForIt

murpho999 wrote: »
    85 is best final ever for me.

It had everything. One of the greatest sporting moments.

This is great stuff but BBC are just hyping it up imho

Your right, the BBC will hype everything up, but I though this years final was a memorable one.

Thoroughly enjoyed it and thanks for the chat guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭melon_collie

AllForIt wrote: »
    Your right, the BBC will hype everything up, but I though this years final was a memorable one.

It was a cracker alright. It had everything but a final frame decider.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

They always do that. An anti climax in their footage alright

• Registered Users Posts: 34,392 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

BDJW wrote: »
    Delighted Williams won. Fantastic final! What am I going to watch on tv this week now?!

I've got about three weeks to recover, and then the TT's on :)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

Eurosport is grand but presenter just rubs me up the wrong way, his delivery is off or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Brae100

Steve Feeney barging in. Very unlikeable person.

Bingham twitter feed might be worth checking out later.

Last year before the Worlds started, I bought a second Freesat satellite recorder box basically dedicated to snooker - best few quid on eBay I ever spent! You can record the red button same as a normal channel.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Brae100 wrote: »
    Steve Feeney barging in. Very unlikeable person.

Is he some spoofer or underestimated genius?.

Williams singing his praises gives him huge credability.

Is he some spoofer or underestimated genius?.

Williams singing his praises gives him huge credability.

He's a bit like David Brent. If you have it in you, he'll find it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I really like BBC's coverage, but they cut that very short at the end. It's a very popular event with viewers, and they could give it another hour to access the tournament and the final.

I really like BBC's coverage, but they cut that very short at the end. It's a very popular event with viewers, and they could give it another hour to access the tournament and the final.

Ye great coverage generally, and then 2 seconds after the final their coverage is just abruptly gone before you've even had time to process what just happened

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Sure they had QI lined up.......

Absolute joke.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I thoroughly enjoy the last 2 weeks. Well done Mark Williams. Gutted for Higgins though, 2 finals in a row.

My other love is cycling, so I’m grand for the summer.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,337 ✭✭✭AllForIt

BDJW wrote: »
    Delighted Williams won. Fantastic final! What am I going to watch on tv this week now?!

Missed the Trump/Higgins match. Prolly will watch it on bbc iplayer tomorrow as I usually suffer from withdrawal symptoms when a comp suddenly ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,422 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Eurosport is grand but presenter just rubs me up the wrong way, his delivery is off or something.

He tries too hard. He used to be on the bbc few years ago actually.

Video up of him walking into the press conference with only a Betfred towel on

The funny thing was on my feed it went straight into a BBC2NI continuity announcer saying that "due to the earlier than expected finish of the snooker.." and cueing up (see what I did there) a random episode of QI.

They must have been on the cusp of a half an hour slot, you can fill in 5 or 10 minutes with chat and review if needs be but having to make up most of a half hour with filler is tough going and not that enthralling for the viewer either.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Registered Users Posts: 16,606 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I agree, the post match commentary was pants. Probably all heading out on the piss. It's always been this way but it's something they definitely should look at.

The Nal wrote: »

The comments...

"Touching ball?"

"Hope he doesn't leave the brown on the cushion"

The funny thing was on my feed it went straight into a BBCNI continuity announcer saying that "due to the earlier than expected finish of the snooker.." and cueing up (see what I did there) a random episode of QI.

They must have been on the cusp of a half an hour slot, you can fill in 5 or 10 minutes with chat and review if needs be but having to make up most of a half hour with filler is tough going and not that enthralling for the viewer either.

If the BBC analysis ever amounted to more than "they are both brilliant players, everything is brilliant, everything is the best ever", then they might actual be able to fill the time talking about what happened with a bit of substance instead of soundbites, like Eurosport. Also interviews, recap of the tournament, recap of the season etc. Like what what most shows do with any sport at the end of the season

I dunno what more you need really after watching the final, if you've been following it for the last 2 and a bit weeks you know anything they could possibly say already. If you haven't, you probably don't care. Not everything needs to be Sky-ified.

• Advertisement

If the BBC analysis ever amounted to more than "they are both brilliant players, everything is brilliant, everything is the best ever", then they might actual be able to fill the time talking about what happened with a bit of substance instead of soundbites, like Eurosport. Also interviews, recap of the tournament, recap of the season etc. Like what what most shows do with any sport at the end of the season

I’m a traditionalist so snooker on the bbc is important to me. But you are spot on with that assessment. Aside from Hendry you won’t get any remotely dissenting viewpoints. Ken is too crafty to stray from the party line. They could have Foulds who would be a great addition but would he toe the line? Far too tight with Hearn to offer any sense of balanced coverage.

Advertisement