Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 World Championship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,337 ✭✭✭AllForIt

A tad disappointed with the overnight scoreline in the W/H match. Williams did miss a trick but it's not that bad. Hawkins needs to real off a couple of frames straight away tomorrow otherwise if Williams raises his game and gets level it's all to play for. Hope it's close.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

AllForIt wrote: »
    A tad disappointed with the overnight scoreline in the W/H match. Williams did miss a trick but it's not that bad. Hawkins needs to real off a couple of frames straight away tomorrow otherwise if Williams raises his game and gets level it's all to play for. Hope it's close.

The 'W/H' match could of been either. Glad you clarified after haha

The 'W/H' match could of been either. Glad you clarified after haha

The older player takes precedence. That's what I read anyway. So the other match is H/W. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Brae100

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Completely different player this year. By all accounts he's hardly off the practice table. The non-chalant appearance and the trick shots belie a champion's mentality. Psychologically he has been incredible. Not just his relaxed, unflappable demeanor, but maybe moreso how he has used his relaxed attitude to unsettle opponents. Cracking a joke or humourously throwing his arms in the air. He knows exactly what he is doing there.

Ronnie has been superb in the commentary box on Eurosport. Such incredible insight and perspective. Calling four or five shots in advance. Just a different league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Milkman..

Brae100 wrote: »
    Completely different player this year. By all accounts he's hardly off the practice table. The non-chalant appearance and the trick shots belie a champion's mentality. Psychologically he has been incredible. Not just his relaxed, unflappable demeanor, but maybe moreso how he has used his relaxed attitude to unsettle opponents. Cracking a joke or humourously throwing his arms in the air. He knows exactly what he is doing there.

Reminds me of Ray Reardon

John Spencer I think it was ,said he could use a joke to his advantage

Ronnie has been superb in the commentary box on Eurosport. Such incredible insight and perspective. Calling four or five shots in advance. Just a different league.

He's been good at calling the shots anytime I've listened

No surprise there

I think 3 days is too long for semi-finals. I think they should make it first to 15 not 17. The final is only over 2 days and only 1 more frame needed to win that than the semi. Maybe logistically it's not possible as their are 2 semis rather just the 1 final (of course) but I just think it's a bit of a drag that semis take 3 days to complete.

Imagine being Alex Higgins back in the day playing first to 37 against Eddie charlton

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭JenovaProject

I love the Eurosports coverage and I think Ronnie has a good commentary voice for snooker.Obviously his expert opinion is second to none.
    Also think Selby has been great in the studio,never warmed to him as a player but really like the bloke now.
    I wonder why the BBC dont get current players in the studio after theyve been knocked out like Eurosports do,I think they missed a trick there.

Lads in the studio keep talking about Williams doing some "sight right" thing now.
    Any idea what that is cos they are sure its whats caused the big turnaround from the past few years

Milkman.. wrote: »
    Reminds me of Ray Reardon

John Spencer I think it was ,said he could use a joke to his advantage

Very good comparison. I met the great Ray Reardon once in Goffs around 1980. I was just a kid. I spotted two fellas having a smoke in the standing tier and recognised Ray. Ran up with my programme for and autograph. After he signed it he asked if I'd like an other autograph too? I looked up and realised that the other fella was Doug Mountjoy. Morto, but still delighted.

I love the Eurosports coverage and I think Ronnie has a good commentary voice for snooker.Obviously his expert opinion is second to none.
    Also think Selby has been great in the studio,never warmed to him as a player but really like the bloke now.
    I wonder why the BBC dont get current players in the studio after theyve been knocked out like Eurosports do,I think they missed a trick there.

Agree 100%. Selby has been excellent in the studio. Quality players giving exceptional insight. This is the year where Eurosport have completely outstripped the BBC.

Probably money. I doubt they have "discretionary" money in the budget at all.

Probably money. I doubt they have "discretionary" money in the budget at all.

I thought money alright,just wasnt sure if ES would have more than BBC to spend.
    Less accountability for funds in Eurosport I guess:P

The likes of Selby and Ronnie probably prefer the independence of Eurosport compared to the BBC

BBC is old school and tied in with governing body

Lads in the studio keep talking about Williams doing some "sight right" thing now.
    Any idea what that is cos they are sure its whats caused the big turnaround from the past few years

Sight Right is a snooker training program devised by a bloke called Steve Feeney. I'll be careful what I type here as he is fond of issuing lawsuits. Basically, it is a training technique that involves correcting a player's approach and sighting of a shot. Mark Williams adopted it and has had a rejevenation. Sceptics say that it's no great shakes, but that it just got him back to basics and interested in focussing again. Murphy is of similar opinion. He used it and did well, but now claims it's not great. Also seems to be a lot of controversy about Feeney.

Sight Right is a snooker training program

Thats interesting,cheers for that.
    Removed content for legal reasons:D

I was listening to him in commentary on Eurosport today for the first time and I was shocked. He plays as though he doesn't need to think about all the technicalities of the game, as if he can just pot pot pot his way to a win. His demeanour is like one who is going about his business without thinking. What nonsense - of course he needs to think about about it - in exactly the same way Hendy or anyone needs to think about it. His expert commentary today showed what a deep thinker of the game he is. That is the brilliances of Ronnie O'Sullivan that he can create the illusion that he just pots his way to success. No 1 player ever for me without a doubt.

• Advertisement

I was listening to him in commentary on Eurosport today for the first time and I was shocked. He plays as though he doesn't need to think about all the technicalities of the game, as if he can just pot pot pot his way to a win. His demeanour is like one who is going about his business without thinking. What nonsense - of course he needs to think about about it - in exactly the same way Hendy or anyone needs to think about it. His expert commentary today showed what a deep thinker of the game he is. That is the brilliances of Ronnie O'Sullivan that he can create the illusion that he just pots his way to success. No 1 player ever for me without a doubt.

Unbelievable insight. Different league even compared to Hendry's commentary. But really shows up the crap commentary from Joe Johnson, Mike Hallet and the terrible Phil Studd.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I like Ronnie but he talks way too much! Its a running analysis as opposed to colour comms.

His knowledge incredible though. As is his passion for the game which is great to see.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Sight Right is a snooker training program devised by a bloke called Steve Feeney. I'll be careful what I type here as he is fond of issuing lawsuits. Basically, it is a training technique that involves correcting a player's approach and sighting of a shot. Mark Williams adopted it and has had a rejevenation. Sceptics say that it's no great shakes, but that it just got him back to basics and interested in focussing again. Murphy is of similar opinion. He used it and did well, but now claims it's not great. Also seems to be a lot of controversy about Feeney.

Stuart Bingham did it too, won the world championship shortly after.

It looks good interesting. I’ll never do it though, requires a cue change afaik. My cue is 20 this year, she’s still my baby.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

We went to the grapes pub last night in sheffield. The reason being it was where the arctic monkeys first place they played at. Nice little pub but we met a bunch of Welsh lads. They were with the Mark Williams camp. His sponcer Ron skinner himself was there. Nice guys. I wonder how they are feeling this morning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

A good century to settle Hawkins in the first frame of the day. 10-7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Williams takes the 18th frame but he doesn’t look comfortable at all so far today. 10-8

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Brian? wrote: »
    Stuart Bingham did it too, won the world championship shortly after.

It looks good interesting. I’ll never do it though, requires a cue change afaik. My cue is 20 this year, she’s still my baby.

Never bothered much about it but presume you would have to buy one of their cues alright. Bingham did use it alright and has, let’s just say, a lot of interesting things to say about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,347 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Agree 100%. Selby has been excellent in the studio. Quality players giving exceptional insight. This is the year where Eurosport have completely outstripped the BBC.

Definitely. They've been kicking it out of the park all season with their coverage of the smaller events, excellent on-site presentation and use of eliminated players for studio/commentary purposes. And some great discussions and insights after the games are over.

Its quite a sea-change for a company whose original m.o. was Angus Loughran doing voiceover commentary from a boxroom in Slough with a local feed single camera setup.

Amazing what having the backing of a multi Billion dollar empire can do I guess. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Ronnie was very good on Eurosport last night. Not much between Wilson and Higgins, apart from the two frame difference. Not a huge lead at all, this game has gone tactical and hard to call, could still go either way

Advertisement