Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Do/would many use it to transfer between transport tho?

It's moving the bus station further from the city for what benefit? The few who transfer? Saving on utilities? Doesn't seem worth it. It's only a 7/8 min walk anyway.

Kent will Be an interchange commuter rail, luas and bus station. It means faster and easier interchange potential.

with the bus station gone, it'd be a good site for highrise. The northside of the site is at the quay so it'd be casting a shadow onto the river only, nobody can complaining that they are being overshadowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

cgcsb wrote: »
    with the bus station gone, it'd be a good site for highrise. The northside of the site is at the quay so it'd be casting a shadow onto the river only, nobody can complaining that they are being overshadowed.

But what about the vistas????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

City centre skyscraper news coming very soon. Stay tuned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

City centre skyscraper news coming very soon. Stay tuned.

Port Peninsula? (i.e. the Port of Cork tower?) Prism? Something new? Don't leave us hanging...

• Advertisement

namloc1980 wrote: »
    The argument against it ranges from, it's too much of a "trek" to "it's only a 7/8 min walk anyway".

That's... an odd point to make. If a 7/8 minute walk from the bus station to the train station is nothing to complain about, then a 7/8 minute walk from the train station to the bus station is equally nothing to complain about. :) (In which case you'd pick the lower cost option and leave the bus station where it is.)

Personally I think it doesn't have to be a big either-or decision. As it stands, I'm not 100% certain there's enough train traffic throughput to justify moving all city centre routes to a train station 'nexus'. Just add more routes which stop at the train station as and when the traffic and demand is there. Most routes will still be stopping at either the bus station or on Patrick St. - so there's no need to have city centre shoppers walk to the train station either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

But what about the vistas????

If they put high rise at Parnell Place, it'll block my head-on view of the grey overcast sky and I'll have to look slightly to either side to get that same view with a big building there.

I'll be objecting any planning for such a building in this location for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭daithi7

who_me wrote: »
    That's... an odd point to make. If a 7/8 minute walk from the bus station to the train station is nothing to complain about, then a 7/8 minute walk from the train station to the bus station is equally nothing to complain about. :) (In which case you'd pick the lower cost option and leave the bus station where it is.)

Personally I think it doesn't have to be a big either-or decision. As it stands, I'm not 100% certain there's enough train traffic throughput to justify moving all city centre routes to a train station 'nexus'. Just add more routes which stop at the train station as and when the traffic and demand is there. Most routes will still be stopping at either the bus station or on Patrick St. - so there's no need to have city centre shoppers walk to the train station either.

Assuming they have the space at the railway station/ Horgan's quay area, it strikes me as a complete no brainer. It's best international practice, it makes complete sense, it frees up a very valuable, currently ugly site on parnell place, allowing for a new & better bus terminal to be built on Horgan's quay, it centralises all public and other transport links on one site with better access, parking, cafes, ancillary services,etc,etc etc, that can scale now and into the future. This should be done asap imho while site values for Parnell Place are relatively high, and Horgan's quay is relatively unobstructed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Port Peninsula? (i.e. the Port of Cork tower?) Prism? Something new? Don't leave us hanging...

I can't see that ever going ahead tbh. It will just be objection after objection. Some 'artist' wants it to be a bloody museum. Considering how much flack the Prism is getting, this has no chance.

I am interested in what the announcement is though. Any more info?

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

If Cork does get some kind of Tram or BRT system that was connected to the train station and running through the city then it would definitely make sense to have the bus station located there. Dublin's Busaras isn't exactly central either but you can just hop on the luas to get to the city centre if you don't feel like walking the 10 mins.

Even if Cork didn't get some kind of tram system there will always be buses leaving from the bus station heading to the city centre if the walk is too much...but honestly it really isnt that much of a walk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

If Cork does get some kind of Tram or BRT system that was connected to the train station and running through the city then it would definitely make sense to have the bus station located there. Dublin's Busaras isn't exactly central either but you can just hop on the luas to get to the city centre if you don't feel like walking the 10 mins.

Even if Cork didn't get some kind of tram system there will always be buses leaving from the bus station heading to the city centre if the walk is too much...but honestly it really isnt that much of a walk
    Ah it's just another transfer.. I really don't see the advantage for bus /coach users..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I can't see that ever going ahead tbh. It will just be objection after objection. Some 'artist' wants it to be a bloody museum. Considering how much flack the Prism is getting, this has no chance.

I am interested in what the announcement is though. Any more info?

DzI1RqNWwAM9sBs.jpg

Those buildings would look so much better rejuvenated as part of this scheme. And the 40 storey would be a landmark like the current Port of Cork sign at the entrance to Cork City. Such a centrally located site should not be wasted on its current use. It's time that these people were overruled for once and for all, the city is not benefitting from that sort of NIMBYism.

The objection by the Green Party to the building is just comical though. I was under the impression that they encouraged sustainable dense development. Sure why not spread the planned uses of the building around the N40 and get people to drive there while we're at it.

marno21 wrote: »
    DzI1RqNWwAM9sBs.jpg

Those buildings would look so much better rejuvenated as part of this scheme. And the 40 storey would be a landmark like the current Port of Cork sign at the entrance to Cork City. Such a centrally located site should not be wasted on its current use. It's time that these people were overruled for once and for all, the city is not benefitting from that sort of NIMBYism.

The objection by the Green Party to the building is just comical though. I was under the impression that they encouraged sustainable dense development. Sure why not spread the planned uses of the building around the N40 and get people to drive there while we're at it.

I totally agree, I think it would be great there, they aren't even proposing to remove the buildings, they want to clean them up and make them a tourist attraction! Really can't see the objections here but again.. this is Ireland. Once the application is sent it, the objections will be in within days Id say.

The story is that the developers for said projects are flying in next week so hopefully very good news is on the horizon.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Nobody is suggesting moving all city centre routes to the train station. That would be stupid. Best practice would be to have a transport hub as a terminus and for onward connections. As it happens quite a few people do use the existing limited connection at Kent as it is in the form of the 205.

Can't imagine there are too many other countries where people would argue against creating a multi-modal transport hub yet here we are.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The story is that the developers for said projects are flying in next week so hopefully very good news is on the horizon.
    Maybe they are flying in to ask where the **** is the Docklands LAP and the CMATS plan which would be very good policies to use to justify their proposed project.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭rounders

I noticed they have moved their Cork Office. I thought they used to have the port of cork buildings as their head quarters where as now they have Crosses Green

rounders wrote: »
    I noticed they have moved their Cork Office. I thought they used to have the port of cork buildings as their head quarters where as now they have Crosses Green

I just had a look at their website and noticed that. I also noticed that Port Peninsula has disappeared from their ‘Upcoming Projects’. :confused:

I just had a look at their website and noticed that. I also noticed that Port Peninsula has disappeared from their ‘Upcoming Projects’. :confused:

Oh that doesn't say much for what they are going to announce when they get here!

Was it ever on there?

I only ever saw it here alongside the Prism. https://alubuild.net/projects/

• Advertisement

Was it ever on there?

I remember commenting either on this forum or another about the name they used for the project on their website so was definitely up there at some stage!

I remember commenting either on this forum or another about the name they used for the project on their website so was definitely up there at some stage!

Ah I must be getting mixed up then, thats the only place I remember seeing Port Peninsula mentioned! Shame if it is removed. I'd be surprised though, there was posts from Boston etc saying they have the contracts etc and s structural engineering firm on twitter saying they are excited to take on the project. Maybe its just being moved from ''Upcoming'' to ''Projects'' :p

Just want to add, used a 'waybackmachine' to check the past history of the site. For what its worth I can't find it ever on that website, leading me to believe that the link I posted above is what was posted here about Port Pensinula. Don't think it was ever on their main site.

EDIT: Yup, OP is below when it was first mentioned here. The link I posted above is it. Marno posted it here first. Panic averted, for now....
    marno21 wrote: »
    Website for one of the companies involved seems to indicate the Docklands tower, referred to as "Port Peninsula" will be 47 stories.

https://alubuild.net/projects/#PortPeninsula

snotboogie wrote: »
    This is way behind where I thought it was:

“1st February 2019: We understand a main contractor has been identified, however contracts have yet to be signed on the construction of a new Student Accommodation and ancillary student support facilities at Victoria Cross, Cork for UCC. ”

https://twitter.com/cisireland/status/1091364004545613824?s=21

Another bit of positivity. This is kicking off in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

Was it ever on there?

It's listed for me when I click that link :confused:

Side note, I really love those Hallets Point buildings

Interesting.... Thanks.

When the police ask, I'll tell them I know nothing about you stalking developers from the bushes.....

Nobody is suggesting moving all city centre routes to the train station. That would be stupid. Best practice would be to have a transport hub as a terminus and for onward connections. As it happens quite a few people do use the existing limited connection at Kent as it is in the form of the 205.

Can't imagine there are too many other countries where people would argue against creating a multi-modal transport hub yet here we are.

Cool. I'm all for expanded routes to/from/including the station. :)

I'm actually not entirely sure how much really is needed at the train station. For most services you can either buy getting on the bus or use a Leap card. (There are rail ticket machines in the underpass 'lobby', bus ticketing machines could be added there too if necessary?). There's limited outdoor sheltered area for those waiting for buses (ok for summer, not ideal at this time of year) and they might need a few additional bus spots.

If the bus station were to be gotten rid of though, it would be more problematic. The Expressway buses typically take longer to load/unload (less frequent, so tend to be more full; plus many use the baggage areas underneath) so they really do require an off-street area. If you were to move those to the train station area, you'd need quite a bit more space, I reckon.

Having a free shuttle bus between the train station and Patrick St. might help a lot too. It's such a short trip, and with no intermediate stops or fare-taking it could run every 10 minutes. That would take away most of the potential concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Cool. I'm all for expanded routes to/from/including the station. :)

I'm actually not entirely sure how much really is needed at the train station. For most services you can either buy getting on the bus or use a Leap card. (There are rail ticket machines in the underpass 'lobby', bus ticketing machines could be added there too if necessary?). There's limited outdoor sheltered area for those waiting for buses (ok for summer, not ideal at this time of year) and they might need a few additional bus spots.

If the bus station were to be gotten rid of though, it would be more problematic. The Expressway buses typically take longer to load/unload (less frequent, so tend to be more full; plus many use the baggage areas underneath) so they really do require an off-street area. If you were to move those to the train station area, you'd need quite a bit more space, I reckon.

Having a free shuttle bus between the train station and Patrick St. might help a lot too. It's such a short trip, and with no intermediate stops or fare-taking it could run every 10 minutes. That would take away most of the potential concerns.

Would be handy to have a ticket machine for buses at the train station.

Currently, you can actually purchase and topup Leap cards at the train ticket machines which isn't advertised at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Would be handy to have a ticket machine for buses at the train station.

Currently, you can actually purchase and topup Leap cards at the train ticket machines which isn't advertised at all.

Didn't know you could buy but knew you could too up. Guess it's mostly for people using lwap cards on commuter trains currently

• Advertisement

Dublin's Busaras isn't exactly central either but you can just hop on the luas to get to the city centre if you don't feel like walking the 10 mins.

:D lol, like seriously where do you define the boundaries of Dublin City Centre?

Advertisement