Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Another view of it

15psaar.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Are they resurfacing all the lower road and Horgan’s Quay soon? The state of that stretch of road is absolutely shocking - what is going on? There seems to be activity happening after 6pm each evening but nothing is different the next morning! What exactly are they doing there?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭rounders

leahyl wrote: »
    Are they resurfacing all the lower road and Horgan’s Quay soon? The state of that stretch of road is absolutely shocking - what is going on? There seems to be activity happening after 6pm each evening but nothing is different the next morning! What exactly are they doing there?

Possibly Irish water upgrades

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭ofcork

An application has been made to city council for an upgrade to merchants quay centre decision due in march.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

I don't hate it....just seems very random for a 14 story building to be build in Glanmire, let alone in that spot.

Speaking of Glanmire, any idea when these road upgrades are suppose to start? I've noticed they started the ground works for Ballinglanna. If that building gets the go ahead plus the Ballinglanna development there is going to a lot of extra traffic around Glanmire. It's already mad as it is.

In those planned road upgrades, the section of road in the pic you posted will simultaneously be pedestrian priority, cyclist priority and car priority and they're putting in a new direct route for motorists to get from there to the Aldi, paving over the current walking route, presumably to encourage people to drive rather than walk. It should really solve the traffic problems (sarcasm).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

ofcork wrote: »
    An application has been made to city council for an upgrade to merchants quay centre decision due in march.

Any idea what they want to do to it?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

In those planned road upgrades, the section of road in the pic you posted will simultaneously be pedestrian priority, cyclist priority and car priority and they're putting in a new direct route for motorists to get from there to the Aldi, paving over the current walking route, presumably to encourage people to drive rather than walk. It should really solve the traffic problems (sarcasm).

What traffic problems in Glanmire?

What traffic problems in Glanmire?

At peak times it clogs up,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    At peak times it clogs up,

I was missing a /s or ;) in that post

The place is can clog up at 11am on a Saturday FFS

I was missing a /s or ;) in that post

The place is can clog up at 11am on a Saturday FFS

I was wondering if you were serious.
    It's a little car-dependent satellite town. Presumably the same County planners that planned Douglas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

It's a little car-dependent satellite town. Presumably the same County planners that planned Douglas.

If public transport improved, more frequent buses, possibly a train station, people would be less car-dependent. Hopefully we see this in the future.

Glanmire is a hangover from horse and coach days to be fair. It should never have been developed beyond sleepy village.
    It's sitting in the bottom of a narrow valley with no way to, really, improve access.

If public transport improved, more frequent buses, possibly a train station, people would be less car-dependent. Hopefully we see this in the future.

Where would you put a train station?, (and line)
    The bus service isn't bad.. (Well into the city centre anyway), but the buses get stuck in the same traffic as everyone else..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭ofcork

Any idea what they want to do to it?
    Change of use of kylemore to licenced restaurant with new entrance/lift from Patrick st and changes to exterior on both Patrick st and merchants quay side.

ofcork wrote: »
    Change of use of kylemore to licenced restaurant with new entrance/lift from Patrick st and changes to exterior on both Patrick st and merchants quay side.

Changes to quay side? Would be great to have store access there, with some bars or cafés. Open up that entire section of quayside

Well that can be done now that you don't gawk with the smell of the pre late 90s

Where would you put a train station?, (and line)
    The bus service isn't bad.. (Well into the city centre anyway), but the buses get stuck in the same traffic as everyone else..

I think they could perhaps bring the train up the valley by raising the Dunkettle roundabout for motorised traffic and having the train go under the roundabout at-grade. Provide a cycle/pedestrian greenway directly beside the train. South of Glanmire village, at about the grotto, the train could cross the mud flat and a station could be located behind the existing business park, possibly on the opposite side of the river. Would be ideal for the new O'Flynn housing development. Where it begins to get really difficult is from here on north (to Riverstown) as the existing bridge is definitely a protected structure and the houses on either side of the river might be protected.

North of that bridge is straightforward again, but would require CPO of the playing fields. Riverstown Station could be near Lidl.

Tight curves all round, but no more than Kent station from what I can make out.

It's all a far-fetched idea but I don't think it's impossible from an engineering perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Frostybrew

I think they could perhaps bring the train up the valley by raising the Dunkettle roundabout for motorised traffic and having the train go under the roundabout at-grade. Provide a cycle/pedestrian greenway directly beside the train. South of Glanmire village, at about the grotto, the train could cross the mud flat and a station could be located behind the existing business park, possibly on the opposite side of the river. Would be ideal for the new O'Flynn housing development. Where it begins to get really difficult is from here on north (to Riverstown) as the existing bridge is definitely a protected structure and the houses on either side of the river might be protected.

North of that bridge is straightforward again, but would require CPO of the playing fields. Riverstown Station could be near Lidl.

It's all a far-fetched idea but I don't think it's impossible from an engineering perspective.

Rail would be fantastic; but you are correct, it's too far fetched. A big problem for this type of route is it runs though a low population density area for about two miles till you reach Riverstown, as most of the residential areas south of Riverstown are either side of the valley on the hills and not easily accessible.
    It would be more feasible from Riverstown as far as Sarsfields Court, but still not ideal.

The best scenario for the Glanmire area would be more bus routes. Connections to the city centre are good (the 221). In addition an extension of the 201 with a much enhanced frequency would do wonders for connectivity to the Northside, as would a shorter route connecting the Glanmire area to Little Island. One other route that could be considered would be a route from Glanmire to Southside locations such as Mahon Point, Douglas, and the Airport. The big advantage of buses is you can route them through the many sprawling housing estates that make up the Glanmire area.

We tend to rule out the humble bus (often with good reason)...
    There is a lot that could be done to improve bus reliability, and service, and a lot of it comes down to treating buses like trams...
    Give buses the same type of ticketing and access, similar style stops/ platforms,thought out routes and bus lanes,
    And similar style policing of cars using and parking in bus stops and lanes,
    And a bit more reliability from bus providers would help...
    Just don't hold out for rails in most places..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

Probably more realistic would be a light rail (though still very unlikely) It could have either a stop in Hazelwood or Riverstown Cross (or both) and carry on though Glanmire Village to join up with the main rail line at Tivoli. It would still meet traffic in Glanmire Village but at least you could avoid traffic along tivoli and lower glanmire road. Perhaps a combination of the 2 to avoid the traffic in Glanmire Village. Light rail to the Station in the business park and from there the rail line is extended to tivoli

Realistically though if they are going have a light rail system on that side of the city then it would be more beneficial to go through areas like Ballyvolane, Mayfield and Blackpool which would mean to reach Glanmire it would need to go down by New Inn and Barnavara which is basically country side so again very far fetched. Because Glanmire is in the middle of a Valley it's never really going to bleed into the other city suburbs.

Of course it's all fantasy. To be honest I'd settle for a bus that went to the Southside and linked with Mahon etc

I suspect most locals would be satisfied with a reliable bus service. Sometimes the bus doesn't show up at the terminus for over 50 minutes (for a 30 minute planned frequency, that's relatively poor). The company usually blames traffic, but there are a number of other issues also.

If you combined bus with a transit hub in Dunkettle/Tivoli it would be very powerful. You'd need Bus Éireann and Iarnród Éireann singing from the same hymn sheet rather than competing for passengers, so the concept would need to come from NTA or council.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I suspect most locals would be satisfied with a reliable bus service. Sometimes the bus doesn't show up at the terminus for over 50 minutes (for a 30 minute planned frequency, that's relatively poor). The company usually blames traffic, but there are a number of other issues also.

If you combined bus with a transit hub in Dunkettle/Tivoli it would be very powerful. You'd need Bus Éireann and Iarnród Éireann singing from the same hymn sheet rather than competing for passengers, so the concept would need to come from NTA or council.

The Glanmire bus service will always be rubbish because unfortunately it has to travel on the same roads as the rest of the traffic, especially going through Tivoli and Lower Glanmire Rd it is painful in a car during peak times so is inevitably going to be even shower on a bus as it has to stop to pickup and drop off passengers s well as slowly move in the traffic.

Saw this a few days ago. Proposal to co-locate the bus station with the train station. https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Councillor-proposes-moving-Parnell-Place-bus-station-to-Kent-Station-to-create-a-single-Cork-transport-hub

What a novel idea - a single transport hub. And with the huge future development of the docklands/Navigation Square/Horgan's Quay it makes sense. What I find unreal is the amount of negative comments on twitter and Facebook about this potential idea.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    The Glanmire bus service will always be rubbish because unfortunately it has to travel on the same roads as the rest of the traffic, especially going through Tivoli and Lower Glanmire Rd it is painful in a car during peak times so is inevitably going to be even shower on a bus as it has to stop to pickup and drop off passengers s well as slowly move in the traffic.

Inbound, I fully accept there's little they can do about the traffic and the journey duration.
    But that doesn't necessarily explain lack of buses at the Glanmire terminus: management must know they're not getting the buses outbound (because of lack of buses available in the city). Without specific bus lane provision - which won't happen any time soon - they possibly need a fleet/driver increase to compensate at peak times.

Saw this a few days ago. Proposal to co-locate the bus station with the train station. https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Councillor-proposes-moving-Parnell-Place-bus-station-to-Kent-Station-to-create-a-single-Cork-transport-hub

What a novel idea - a single transport hub. And with the huge future development of the docklands/Navigation Square/Horgan's Quay it makes sense. What I find unreal is the amount of negative comments on twitter and Facebook about this potential idea.

The two companies own their own infrastructure, so the municipality would need to pay for such a piece of infrastructure. Our government is in favour of transport privatisation, and this is the logical outcome of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I dunno, I find getting to the train station enough of a trek as it is, I'm not sure moving our biggest public transport hub further out of the city in favour of building more apartments in the centre would do much to encourage take-up.

Isn't the bus station a protected building anyway?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The two companies own their own infrastructure, so the municipality would need to pay for such a piece of infrastructure. Our government is in favour of transport privatisation, and this is the logical outcome of that.

Is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Do/would many use it to transfer between transport tho?

It's moving the bus station further from the city for what benefit? The few who transfer? Saving on utilities? Doesn't seem worth it. It's only a 7/8 min walk anyway.

TheChizler wrote: »
    I dunno, I find getting to the train station enough of a trek as it is, I'm not sure moving our biggest public transport hub further out of the city in favour of building more apartments in the centre would do much to encourage take-up.

Isn't the bus station a protected building anyway?

Jaysus it's 600m not a trek across Antarctica!

Clearly the future of Cork is in the Docklands and Tivoli so this would put a transport hub slap bang in the middle of the expanded city. Also couple that with a high frequency East West corridor and access to the rest of the city would be easier not harder.

marno21 wrote: »
    Is it?

I'm not sure whether you mean "is it a logical outcome" or "is it in favour of transport privatisation".
    But...
    If the former, then yes:
    Good practice when privatising is to retain the network assets within control of the government (think the gas/electricity/water distribution networks) but allow supply to be privatised.
    Privatising the network control results in Enron type situations and is clearly not good for the public.
    With the breakup of CIE, IE retained Kent, whereas BE retained Parnell Place and Capwell. They are duty-bound to maximise return for their shareholders and in doing so they compete with each other on routes. If IE allowed BE into Kent rent-free then all of the competition would also want to be allowed in there, and since some of these actively compete with IE (GoBus, AirCoach, etc) it'd be bad for their own business. So they clearly won't ever do it: they'll logically gouge their competitors, who will logically not want to use the asset. If it's a municipal asset (network owned by the government) then all competitors are treated and licensed equally.

If it's the latter, then yes:
    It started with the breakup of CIE and later the introduction of other bus companies on previously "public service" routes. They're in favour of private operators for the train network, but it's cost prohibitive for any private operators. LUAS went out to public tender and legacy Dublin Bus routes were tendered recently. The current favoured approach is towards privatisation of the public transport system.

• Advertisement

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Do/would many use it to transfer between transport tho?

It's moving the bus station further from the city for what benefit? The few who transfer? Saving on utilities? Doesn't seem worth it. It's only a 7/8 min walk anyway.

Multimodal transportation hubs benefit a city hugely. It's why they are a very common feature in transport systems that are recognised as being efficient and well run. Imagine have a transport hub with buses, trains, future BRT/LRT all converging in one location. Anyway most city buses don't even go to the bus station as it is.

The argument against it ranges from, it's too much of a "trek" to "it's only a 7/8 min walk anyway".

Advertisement