Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options
1295296297298299301»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭mrpdap

Does anyone know the story regarding the steps from Railway Street to Lower Glanmire Road.

These are still blocked off

• Registered Users Posts: 16,895 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

No one seems to be able to get an answer to that question.

Comes up on social media every now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

I was going to say the same thing. Nobody seems to have an answer, and a few journalists have tried to get an answer. They should really be opened now, it'd be very convenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,185 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

BAM are the 100% example of how Ireland's public tender system is broken

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭cantalach

They own the large-ish triangular site immediately to the left of the steps in that sat view. I wonder if they’ll eventually go “fcuk the steps!” and seek planning permission for a Prism-style building on the entire site…

Edit: It occurs to me that they could even incorporate public steps into the building design.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭sonnyblack

I think that triangular site already has permission for apartments as part of the original planning that included the steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭Apogee

Here's the original proposed site layout with the apartments in top left

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭cantalach

Very interesting, thanks! That makes me even more convinced that the reason the steps haven’t been opened is that they’re looking at options. It would definitely be possible to redesign that apartment building so as to have the public steps under it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭Apogee

Surprise, surprise - this has been appealed

The appeal, submitted by a resident on Wilton Rd and on behalf of a number of other residents in the locality, said locals consider that – having regard to the height, massing and scale of the proposed development – it would “seriously injure the residential amenities of property in the vicinity” by reason of “visual overbearance, loss of light and potential negative noise impact”.

They further argue that the development, because of the height, scale and massing would “significantly alter and over dominate the built context in which the site sits” having an “adverse impact” on the setting of the Church of the Descent of the Holy Spirit – a protected structure.

The local residents appealing the development offer an alternative proposal, suggesting that the development be reduced in height to three stories, which they say would be “more in line with the height of the current structure on the site concerned”.

“This would minimise impact of visual overbearance, loss of light and potential negative noise impact to the Church and local residents,” they say.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-41405324.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 CorneliusBrown

how long have those steps being sealed off. What a bunch of cowboys

• Registered Users Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

They live next to the main hospital, in Munster, and between 2 of the larger Universities in the country.

Aras Sláinte and it's neighbouring apartment complex are right across the road and all are absolutely dwarfed by the church.

**** off

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭crayon80

The people on Wilton Road are the greatest shower of nimbies in Cork. They have yet to find any sort of advantageous progressive project that they won't object to with their spurious selfish complaints.

Bus lanes, bus connect, housing...

Oh no, that super expensive detached development across for Lee garage was more than welcome. It raised prices around it

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭crayon80

True, I'd forgotten those

Google tells me one four bed detached available in phase one, €1.3million. Yeah they'd like that kind of thing alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

What I don't understand is, up until recently Wilton Road was the N22. How can you buy a property on a national primary road and be surprised that it might not stay the way it is forever

• Registered Users Posts: 5,375 ✭✭✭ofcork

O Callaghans selling their site on Anderson quay apparently they never did anything with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭snotboogie

The site around the bus station is full of stalled developments; The Prism, Parnell Street hotel and Anderson Quay. The area looks horrendous. Hopefully the luck can change here. It would be nice to see a serviced apartment and hotel with ground floor retail over 15 stories here. I think we'll end up seeing a 10 storey apartment development or a 5 storey hotel.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,378 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Given RZLT obligations (this is perhaps why OCP are selling), it wouldn't make sense for anyone to buy this site unless they had planned on making use of it.

(RZLT possibly deflated the value of this site also and OCP could possibly have got more had they sold it on before the RZLT came in)

https://www.pleanala.ie/en-ie/case/316712

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Lovely new footpaths by The Marina already becoming a free for all with illegal parking. Including on the tactile paving. They'll be in bits in no time.

Only opened about two weeks. Pathetic really.

Moxy coming along nicely

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭mrpdap

imagine if parking regulations were enforced

same lark in the Marina carpark, people parking just around the corner rather than going down a bit further to a parking spot. They are actually parking on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,895 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I like how the old frontage is integrated. The building is stepped back to allow it room to exist. Unlike the awful example of the integrated old building across the river in the half moon street development where the old building is completely overwhelmed buy the new one imposed on top of it.

Then, further along the quay is another good example by vibes and scribes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Was down there yesterday. I like the new access road into PUC, but it will 100% be abused by people too lazy to park further down in the actual car park on the other side. There's one massive parking spot, presumably for bus parking, that will almost guaranteed, be full of cars and never have a bus in it.

Least they could do is put double-yellow lines there just around the corner. Not that it would stop them from dumping the cars there.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭sonnyblack

I agree with the stepping back of the facade. Very well thought out. The grey top section looks a bit dull in my humble opinion. It's a pity there wasn't a bit more glazing, large sections of glass rather than individual windows/doors

Should have probably known it was a waste of time asking for seating here but I think it's such wasted potential... one of the nicest areas in town.

Advertisement