Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

'Free tolls' for electric vehicles?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,967 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Change to Park Magic. Seriously.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

And the August statement arrived, no refunds...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

unkel wrote: »
    Change to Park Magic. Seriously.

Such an infrequent user of tolls that the €30 charge makes it not worthwhile, we just had an exceptional August with a lot of toll journeys

• Registered Users Posts: 21,544 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Nothing here either

slave1 wrote: »
    Such an infrequent user of tolls that the €30 charge makes it not worthwhile, we just had an exceptional August with a lot of toll journeys

What €30 charge? The refundable deposit? You get that back

I've already saved €60 going through the M50 since July :)

Refunds are instant with park magic. There system is obviously working as it should, I'll check occasionally, but I'm confident it works. No need to "reconcile" the statement anyway as you would need to do when you get the refund a month or several months later, or never :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭LotharIngum

Im on easytrip. They gave me an adjustment for August. Nothing for July. And I checked. The august adjustment is right for all the tolls in august and they just ignored July after teling me on the phone last month it would be done in August

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Im on easytrip. They gave me an adjustment for August. Nothing for July. And I checked. The august adjustment is right for all the tolls in august and they just ignored July after teling me on the phone last month it would be done in August

I look to have similar issue.....I contacted them and they said they would back date

After years and thousands of euro spent with them I think it is time to close down the account

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭LotharIngum

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I look to have similar issue.....I contacted them and they said they would back date

After years and thousands of euro spent with them I think it is time to close down the account

They promise me they'll fix it each time I phone. And they don't.

Seriously lads. Why are you still with that crowd? Vote with your feet. Or should I say wheels? :D

So I phoned them again this morning after our credit did not come through Monday (as promised), said I'd had enough and they had an hour to make the refund or I would raise a formal complaint with Transport Infrastructure Ireland (charged with administering the scheme).
    Refunded half hour later...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

From what I can see on my bid, the August bill has the discount from July when I check it better. I think this lines up with what they said, so IN September bill I will get discount for August. Its a bit stupid/

I need to look at alternatives

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    From what I can see on my bid, the August bill has the discount from July when I check it better. I think this lines up with what they said, so IN September bill I will get discount for August. Its a bit stupid/

I need to look at alternatives
    Yeah I have the same.
    It's annoying, and it's a hassle to change company.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

just off the phone to eflow.... got a statement this week. The discounts for transactions in July have been applied to my August statement, which I receive in September ??
    The refund itself is a single line item under "Other Charges" and an amount - however there is no easy way at all to reconcile it against anything.
    In addition - there is another peice of what I can only describe as odness when I appear to get a refund of (€8.05) ex vat which is then reduced to a refund of (€7.59) becuase vat of €0.46 is applied..... for the life of me I can't figure out that bit of accounting....

Anyway after spending 20 minutes trying to figure it out, and 15 minutes on the phone with them unsucessfully trying to figure it out, I then spent about 3 minutes signing up to tooltag.ie ....... seriously life is too short to be an enabler for eflow incompetance...

just off the phone to eflow.... got a statement this week. The discounts for transactions in July have been applied to my August statement, which I receive in September ??
    The refund itself is a single line item under "Other Charges" and an amount - however there is no easy way at all to reconcile it against anything.
    In addition - there is another peice of what I can only describe as odness when I appear to get a refund of (€8.05) ex vat which is then reduced to a refund of (€7.59) becuase vat of €0.46 is applied..... for the life of me I can't figure out that bit of accounting....

Anyway after spending 20 minutes trying to figure it out, and 15 minutes on the phone with them unsucessfully trying to figure it out, I then spent about 3 minutes signing up to tooltag.ie ....... seriously life is too short to be an enabler for eflow incompetance...
    What did you do , is there a "switching process", can you use the same toll tag?
    Or is it literally just sign up for one and close the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

ELM327 wrote: »
    What did you do , is there a "switching process", can you use the same toll tag?
    Or is it literally just sign up for one and close the other?

That's right - sign up for a new provider and close the other account.

Just a heads-up: the TollTag/Park Magic tag had one journey on it from going through the postal system already so be sure to check that. It took about one week for that to be cleared from my account.

eFlow says you can only close the account when you return the tag. I've yet to bother doing this part. Additionally, the website says you lose access to your account on the site once you initiate the account close process so download/print anything you need in advance.

As an aside, the EV discount scheme does technically say the eligible vehicle can only be associated to one tag at a time (or something to that effect) but it doesn't appear to cause any issues with getting the discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

So the conciseness seams to be that parkmagic are the better option.
    With the deciding factor for light use being between €5.60 initial charge of the Pay as you toll or the 10% Service Charge with the +
    If you use the m50 4 times or less a month the + would be cheaper right ?

Aye - 3 return trips a month and it's cheaper to have the monthly rental. I went from the 10% service charge (€0.21) to the monthly rental (€1.21) a few months ago as I go through the M50 toll a lot more these days. My last one was on Friday night. Just a few seconds after the 19:00 off peak start time

toll charge €2.10
    immediate EV refund €1.58

:D

€65 refund so far since July...

Got my email statement for last month. Total tolls €30.61, credit €17.35 so paid just €13.26 nett :)

Looks like this is saving me about €200 per year. Not bad when 100% of my toll use is social. None for work / commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Ning

when does eflow apply the discount? So far my transaction list displays normal rate, not the EV rate.

Ning wrote: »
    when does eflow apply the discount? So far my transaction list displays normal rate, not the EV rate.
    Eflow are w*nkers, they will credit you a lump sum next month with no breakdown, for this month's tolls.

• Advertisement

Ning wrote: »

Have a read of this thread Ning. Then decide who your new toll provider will be :)

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Bixler3

I have had some interesting experience with Easytrip and the EV refund scheme.

As you probably know they give the EV refund at month end for the previous month.

On most occasions I use the Eastlink there is a zero charge for the trip but very occasionally I'll be charged the normal €1.40.

As for their monthly refunds, it seems to bear little resemblance to the actual refund due but I will say that in the course of five months they have over-refunded me regularly to the point that tolls which would have cost me €107.70 in an ICE car have cost me just €17.33 in my EV (summary below), long may it last :).

a) Standard Charges €107.70

b) Actual Charges €79.70
    c) Actual Refunds €62.37
    d) Net Charges(b-c) €17.33

e) Net Savings(a-d) €90.37

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Bixler3 wrote: »
    I have had some interesting experience with Easytrip and the EV refund scheme.

As you probably know they give the EV refund at month end for the previous month.

On most occasions I use the Eastlink there is a zero charge for the trip but very occasionally I'll be charged the normal €1.40.

As for their monthly refunds, it seems to bear little resemblance to the actual refund due but I will say that in the course of five months they have over-refunded me regularly to the point that tolls which would have cost me €107.70 in an ICE car have cost me just €17.33 in my EV (summary below), long may it last :).

a) Standard Charges €107.70

b) Actual Charges €79.70
    c) Actual Refunds €62.37
    d) Net Charges(b-c) €17.33

e) Net Savings(a-d) €90.37

You would think that a system like that is entirely computerised, but with that sort of billing it's obviously not.

Article in today's paper about the refunds, and delays etc. (In fairness a lot of the problems the main chap quoted in the article had were self-inflicted.)

How many times do I have to say it, lads? Switch to Park Magic. The refunds are applied within seconds of you passing the toll

471954.png

Just saying that despite the hassle of the monthly refund, that Easypass have turned out to be cheaper 'cos they make a complete mess of the monthly refund, but in my favour ( having tracked it for five months ).

Where was that article please n97?

Bixler3 wrote: »
    Just saying that despite the hassle of the monthly refund, that Easypass have turned out to be cheaper 'cos they make a complete mess of the monthly refund, but in my favour ( having tracked it for five months ).

In your favour this time. But you had to check every detail and you can't obviously trust them to do it right, so you will have to check every detail going forward. And what if the next time it is in their favour? Would you trust them to refund you in a timely manner without hassle? I thought not ;)

unkel wrote: »
    In your favour this time. But you had to check every detail and you can't obviously trust them to do it right, so you will have to check every detail going forward. And what if the next time it is in their favour? Would you trust them to refund you in a timely manner without hassle? I thought not ;)

OF course not :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

171-D-33472
    GDPR !??

• Advertisement

Another person who doesn't understand GDPR ;)

Advertisement