Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

'Free tolls' for electric vehicles?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

unkel wrote: »
    Another person who doesn't understand GDPR ;)

The Gardaí also don’t understand it as they have mentioned on Twitter not to be submitting ref plates in videos as it could be considered to “impune the good name of the driver”. - what a load of BS and shows the guards themselves have sketchy knowledge of the law. If reg in public you can video to hearts content as isn’t personal information and again it’s in public.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It’s more so that GDPR has zero impact on individuals, it’s only a company legislation

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

slave1 wrote: »
    It’s more so that GDPR has zero impact on individuals, it’s only a company legislation

Dashcams change that but I don’t want to drag this off topic.

ethernet wrote: »
    Dashcams change that but I don’t want to drag this off topic.

No they don’t, GDPR has ZERO implication on an individual, as I mentioned in my post it only impacts a company so You only need to be concerned about this if you use a dashcam in a business context. This generally means any job in which you are paid to drive.

Any other use of a dashcam is considered “personal or household activities”, which are exempt from the GDPR

No they don’t, GDPR has ZERO implication on an individual, as I mentioned in my post it only impacts a company so You only need to be concerned about this if you use a dashcam in a business context. This generally means any job in which you are paid to drive.

Any other use of a dashcam is considered “personal or household activities”, which are exempt from the GDPR

Ok, calm down!

The Data Protection Commission has even given advice on this: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/q-a-how-to-ensure-your-dash-cam-does-not-infringe-privacy-law-1.3727572

The regulator has said that people need to be aware that if they have such a device, they are “processing personal data”. Because the cameras are capturing footage from public areas involving the personal data of other people, dash cam users/owners are what is known as “data controllers”.

Do I have to give people who request it a copy of my footage?
    The DPC says that if it contains their personal data, yes you do.

• Advertisement

I am calm and this is my last post on this as it's way OT, search EU legislation and you'll find that GDPR is in no way related to individuals and that post from our DPS (which is untested and speculative hence the use of "may") relates to Insurance company involvement which pushes the use of the company past personal use.
    I have two cameras full time at my home and both cars have dash cams and I ain't changing any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

ethernet wrote: »
    Ok, calm down!

The Data Protection Commission has even given advice on this: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/q-a-how-to-ensure-your-dash-cam-does-not-infringe-privacy-law-1.3727572

The regulator has said that people need to be aware that if they have such a device, they are “processing personal data”. Because the cameras are capturing footage from public areas involving the personal data of other people, dash cam users/owners are what is known as “data controllers”.

Do I have to give people who request it a copy of my footage?
    The DPC says that if it contains their personal data, yes you do.

Dpc is interpreting legislation, does not mean they are correct, only a legal action would decided they are correct or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

I am calm and this is my last post on this as it's way OT, search EU legislation and you'll find that GDPR is in no way related to individuals and that post from our DPS (which is untested and speculative hence the use of "may") relates to Insurance company involvement which pushes the use of the company past personal use.
    I have two cameras full time at my home and both cars have dash cams and I ain't changing any time soon.

What a load of BS !
    If GDPR applies only to companies...what is the key element of the Data Protection Policy !? PII ,ala Personal Identifiable Information ! I mean... Y O U and M E ! Any Personal Data elements that can determine a real identity behind that number or name falls under GDPR data protection. If GDPR is only for companies...what do they protect : bonuses, wages, transactions OR your personal data such as name, address, phone, car registration and car type and car colour !?

I throwed GDPR and not the fact the @unkel gave his employment status and his car registration plate and type of car and colour free on a public site...are we not concerned about privacy anymore !? It was a small friendly warning to modify that document and hide his PII . That's all... and he should modify it asap...it a private document which according to unwritten laws of the public internet it should have been masked...

And in relation to dashcams and CCTV, Garda said that I am obliged to give evidence of the recordings only to authorised authorities and no individuals. I even had a Garda officer in my house checking my recordings...

Enjoy a crisp weekend guys...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

rolion wrote: »
    What a load of BS !
    If GDPR applies only to companies...what is the key element of the Data Protection Policy !?

It's more correct to say that GDPR applies to anyone or any company that is processing data for professional or commercial activities. This is detailed in the following extract from the regulation.
    This Regulation does not apply to the processing of personal data by a natural person in the course of a purely personal or household activity and thus with no connection to a professional or commercial activity. Personal or household activities could include correspondence and the holding of addresses, or social networking and online activity undertaken within the context of such activities. However, this Regulation applies to controllers or processors which provide the means for processing personal data for such personal or household activities.

Almost at €300 in savings. Yeyyy for this incentive :D

472002.PNG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭smokybacon

Hi,
    I am trying to get eflow refunds for PHEV car. They are trying to get me to set up a tag account for a monthly fee to get future refunds. I have an account for years with them.
    Can they do this?
    I don’t want a tag account.
    Will I get past refunds?
    This is the 3rd time I contacted them about this.

Why pay toll to private company anyway ?

If you sign anything then you give your Concent for them to take money from you.

Our Government should not be handing over our private details to foreign private companies!

I don’t think there’s a lot they can do if you don’t pay in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Zenith74

If you don't count being taken to court and ordered by a judge to pay the fines, like you can be for not paying just about anything else, then yep they cannot do a damn thing, you're golden.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/m50-crackdown-sees-fines-of-130-000-for-toll-dodgers-1.3299500

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

smokybacon wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am trying to get eflow refunds for PHEV car. They are trying to get me to set up a tag account for a monthly fee to get future refunds. I have an account for years with them.
    Can they do this?
    I don’t want a tag account.
    Will I get past refunds?
    This is the 3rd time I contacted them about this.

Unfortunately yes, the discount only applies to tag users.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Why pay toll to private company anyway ?

If you sign anything then you give your Concent for them to take money from you.

Our Government should not be handing over our private details to foreign private companies!

Just tell them that you're a freeman on the land and you are travelling according to maritime law and you'll be grand :p

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

I'm just posting this so I can request a mod to amend the thread title to reflect that tolls are not free but subsidised

A judge can order me to pay a fine all he wants doesn’t mean it has to be paid .

The state are acting as debt collectors for a private company and unfortunately for me I have a tag so I’ve given my concent like a fool but if I did not have a tag I would not have entered into a contract with this company and I certainly did not authorise the state to give anyone my private details to a foreign private company.

The courts and guards working as debt collectors for private companies and they are paid by the Irish tax payer!

It’s a very corrupt system !

• Registered Users Posts: 21,544 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

A judge can order me to pay a fine all he wants doesn’t mean it has to be paid .

The state are acting as debt collectors for a private company and unfortunately for me I have a tag so I’ve given my concent like a fool but if I did not have a tag I would not have entered into a contract with this company and I certainly did not authorise the state to give anyone my private details to a foreign private company.

The courts and guards working as debt collectors for private companies and they are paid by the Irish tax payer!

It’s a very corrupt system !
    Have you been hacked?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,974 ✭✭✭✭unkel

No, the lad just gets a bit mad sometimes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,952 ✭✭✭Patser

Freeman_Lad???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If you don't like paying tolls, don't drive on tolled roads...

Would you grab a banana in Lidl, eat it, and when the security guy spots you say you never entered into a contract to purchase a banana (from a foreign company, at that...) ?

To extend the analogy, there's a government-owned outlet half a mile away giving away free bananas, but you don't want to go over there :pac:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

If you don't like paying tolls, don't drive on tolled roads...

Would you grab a banana in Lidl, eat it, and when the security guy spots you say you never entered into a contract to purchase a banana (from a foreign company, at that...) ?

To extend the analogy, there's a government-owned outlet half a mile away giving away free bananas, but you don't want to go over there :pac:

I'm not buying something in a shop .

No personal details are being handed over to Lidl and I can pay for the Banana without them knowing who I am , my address and my vehicle details.

Imagine the Government giving Lidl your personal details without your consent to buy bananas ?

Imagine the courts being used to collect revenue for this and other companies ?

Seems rather mad to me. But it's too late now because I signed up for the tag and gave my consent.

Happened to log into my Park Magic account and the welcome page showed:

EV Refunds Year To Date €272.49

Nice! And I don't even commute through the M50 toll. Mostly off peak travel, 75% discount.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

unkel wrote: »
    Happened to log into my Park Magic account and the welcome page showed:

EV Refunds Year To Date €272.49

Nice! And I don't even commute through the M50 toll. Mostly off peak travel, 75% discount.

Ohh I was trying to weigh up registering for it or not when I got my ev, but with the prepay ones with the 10% charge prob will work out the best for me as I would only go through tolls less than 10 times a year

With the eflow one with a euro a month wouldn't be worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

There is nowhere clear on the eflow website for signing up to this had to contact support.

Has anyone had any trouble setting up electric car with cheap toll scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭eagerv

No, being using tolltag for last 2 years and they have been totally accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Miscreant

It is literally in their FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions | eFlow) to call them to set up the LEVTI discount, so you did the correct thing in the end. 🙂

I called them this time last year when I picked up my new car and it was a 5 minute conversation with Eflow (change tag to new car and apply for the discount). I got an email a few days later to confirm the discount was in effect and that was it. I don't have a count for how much I have got back but most months I would get a few Euro back against the bill. The discount is usually applied to the following month's bill.

Have a look through this thread. Eflow is a mess, they might or might not apply your discount at the end of the month or next month. You'll spend ages trying to find out if all is ok

Go with tolltag.ie (parkmagic) instead. The second you go through the toll, the charge AND the credit are applied to your account

And in general, even if you only go through the tolls 6-7 times a year in your EV, it makes financial sense to get a tag, you will save money. And of course, the more you go through, the more you make. I make €200-€300 per year. And my mileage is low and I only ever go through the toll for social traffic, never for work and not commuting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭cannco253

Agree that Eflow is a disaster. It took me 3 months before they applied any EV discounts to my account after going through the LEVTI email process and even then they got it wrong.

I keep track of my own trips so know what I should expect to see, if it looks wrong I keep sending them emails. It's working ok now but very poor service overall.

I'll look to switch to tolltag some time this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭innrain

Etrip/easytrip used to be bad as well but now the discount appears on each transaction and they charge only the difference. They have an app where you can see all transactions.

Advertisement